What's new

public or private school

luciusma

Reputation score
Public or private school? Which is better for you and why?

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score
You're going to need to specify. European public schools tend to be decent. But I've heard only terrible things from US public schooling

kazuyakam

Reputation score
When I was school student teacher said that American public school is the example of good education. I studied in one of the European public school and it was not so special or interesting experience. About private education i do not know so much, but I think it is a bit expensive and such students will have problem with socialization in the future. Now I am college student and my major is law. I like studying but i have not free time for it because i have part time work. So I use help with

Last edited:

kiko

aka the Asian rapper Kikkoman Flowsauce
Reputation score
I'm an eastern european and the schools here aren't that bad. So yeah, public

Just to be clear, I finished school a long time ago, and they're only getting better from what I've seen here

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Went to a decent public school in rural U.S., unfortunately it didn't do much to prepare me for college. Though I believe that's really more an issue of college being bullshit.

Ninja_Named_Bob

Mystic Girl
Reputation score
When I was school student teacher said that American public school is the example of good education. I studied in one of the European public school and it was not so special or interesting experience. About private education i do not know so much, but I think it is a bit expensive and such students will have problem with socialization in the future. Now I am college student and my major is law. I like studying but i have not free time for it because i have part time work. So I use help with
Private schools will offer tuition to lower-income students now and then, albeit with a requirement of some form of special talent or whatever. It's basically one of those "look how gifted Bob is! And we discovered this talent by chance!" situations that your parents can only be excited about. Private education is generally better-supplied in terms of materials and the like, not to mention the significant difference in setting leading to better attitudes socially. What some might misinterpret as arrogance is simply being refined and better-educated than ye of public education. It's a matter of perspective, really.

However, public schools are more subject to the whims of over-reaching government, which can affect curriculum in the worst ways possible. Currently, in Ontario, Canada, there is a movement to make LGBTQ+ a part of what is being taught, including (but not limited to) drag queen pageants and educators being given the authority to call in child protection services if a kid reports that their parents refuse to let them identify as an attack helicopter. Private schools have their own fair share of social justice bull as well, but never to the degree that public schools do. Not from what I've seen, anyways.

Public education also has to ask the government for funding and relies minimally on tuition since, in the US and Canada, it's a federal mandate for persons under 16 to receive an education, regardless of income, etc. This means that, if there is so little money in the provincial/regional/etc budget for ULMF High, it's likely that ULMF High is gonna be running year-round sales and such in order to afford new textbooks and whatnot. Private schools have such a high tuition on students because they are constantly replacing their previous years' materials with the most current stuff, if necessary. If not, it goes towards helping the kids learn more via field trips and whatnot.

If you can get into a private school, the upsides far outclass that of public education. Yeah, there is a significant disconnect socially from the middle and lower class, but it's not for nothing. I would have rather gone to a private school and been one of the next leaders of this world than been the mess I am now from public education and all its inadequacies.

Last edited: