What's new

Question : where did the fle names of games originate

passinby

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
I've been here for awhile and this is rather noob question and my googling failed me...

all the file names like 172GRJ319 etc...who/what site generates them?

Some I get them via dlsite's name like RJ266386198 but where does GR/VR file name series come from?

Paladox

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Re: Question : where did the fle names of games originate

It would be easier to figure out the file extensions, like .doc is short for document, .txt for text, .exe for executable, etc..

For the series of letters and numbers it might not mean anything. Like a randomly generated password or game unlock code of sorts. Even the post office uses a sequence of 20 numbers for tracking packages.

The longer the numbers the more variation you can get. It's basically a complex set of variable arrays that a program or person can use to find a specific sequence within a possibly limitless set of variables.

Like say your game code is XRUP-8847-77IP-ULN9

That's about 36 possible combinations per digit. It doesn't really mean anything.

When letters are used it's just to extend the number of possible combinations without making the code needlessly long.
For example 1234-5678-1234-5678-0192 Is very lengthy and not terribly difficult to guess since it's just numbers.
BUT if you use letters as well then you can shorten the sequence and make it far more difficult to guess. Moreso if lowercase and uppercase are both used (aka case sensitive).
Like this: a89n-34y9-Zx6q would be much more difficult to guess than the numbers only sequence, even though it's shorter.
Not only is it more difficult to guess, but it's easier for you to memorize than a longer set of numbers.

Last edited:
OP
P

passinby

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

It would be easier to figure out the file extensions, like .doc is short for document, .txt for text, .exe for executable, etc..

For the series of letters and numbers it might not mean anything. Like a randomly generated password or game unlock code of sorts. Even the post office uses a sequence of 20 numbers for tracking packages.

The longer the numbers the more variation you can get. It's basically a complex set of variable arrays that a program or person can use to find a specific sequence within a possibly limitless set of variables.

Like say your game code is XRUP-8847-77IP-ULN9

That's about 36 possible combinations per digit. It doesn't really mean anything.
No, as in all my initial game folder names are 000GRJ000 for normal games and 000VRJ000 for anime stuff.

I do think they are random when assigning, but since these are assigned specifically to each game as identification code, I was just wondering who/what site was doing it.

You know how it is for all dlsite games to be assigned RJ00000 yes? So who assigns them in 000GRJ000? dmm?

Its not a big deal really, but Im just curious

HentaiWriter

Tentacle God
Reputation score

If it has "RE" or "RJ" in the name, it's from DLSite.
The RJ means it's the Japanese version/Japanese site, and RE means it's from the English site/English version.

OP
P

passinby

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

If it has "RE" or "RJ" in the name, it's from DLSite.
The RJ means it's the Japanese version/Japanese site, and RE means it's from the English site/English version.
What about xxxGRJxxx? I use RJxxxxx to retrace games to their shop site, but althought this GRJ are assigned to each game the search only returns torrent/download sites and not the game homepage so I don't know where it is originated.

Thank you for the answers, but all the answers are answering different questions...Is it my english? Am I phrasing it weird...?

noman

Lurker
Reputation score

Your english is just fine, but I am not sure what the answer to your question is. If I have to make a guess, I would say it's a number assigned by some torrent/download site to keep track of their files.