What's new

Random movie talky stuff.

Archer

Lurker
Former Moderator
Reputation score
This thread is now devoted to movies, arguing about movies, and slapfights between star trek nerds and star wars geeks.

Last edited:

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Re: The secure Avatar gossip page

Okay... while it did just open today, I haven't seen it yet :(

I just had to get out of my system... why the fuck did they put "director of Titanic" on the posters? They should have put "Director of Terminator 1 and 2, and Aliens".

If anyone is a true sci-fi nerd, they have seen Aliens. It is a classic to this day. Hell I watched it not too long ago, and the special effects weren't even that bad. And its an '80s movie. It's aged really well.

"How do I get out of this chicken shit outfit?"

Lurker
Reputation score

I actually will be going to see it tonight. Though maybe we can make this a general movie chat w/ spoilers thread? I can see someone making one of these for every movie, and that'd be unnecessary.

OP
Archer

Archer

Lurker
Former Moderator
Reputation score

Well I figured after everyone saw it there would be a lot of chattering, a whole lot, and this way there wouldn't have to be spoilers in almost every post to keep from ruining it. I understand your concern but I think avatar is going to easily be up there with star trek and star wars, hopefully we will not have people walking around in loincloths painted blue at conventions but it wouldn't be worse than the fat guys in sailor moon outfits *shudder*

And for sinful, Sigourney Weaver hasn't lost her edge, she's still an awesome actor, minor bit of safe trivia about the movie, the main villian of the film tried out twice to try to be included in Aliens.

Lurker
Reputation score

It was sold out, so I didn't get to see it. I'll be trying again Tuesday though.

hopefully we will not have people walking around in loincloths painted blue at conventions but it wouldn't be worse than the fat guys in sailor moon outfits *shudder*
Fat blue guys walking around in loincloths. That is all.

E

Exofluke

I got there for the first showing. Now... it wasn't packed packed...

The film was absolutely stunning. I watched it in 3D and the whole time I was just amazed at the visuals. The story was good and emotional. Grade A quality all the way.

Now, when I left... a MASSIVE line was building for the next 3D showing. Pretty funny...

I think this movie will start cranking after a few days. It's one of those films that needs a few views here and there, to get the word out about how amazing it is.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

I'm not sure what everyone thinks its so good for. i mean yeah i enjoyed it but it just doesn't seem to be as epic as promised. The effects are awesome as to be expected (but thats not to hard these days) but the story wasn't anything special, like a dances with wolves in space.

sure you're all bound to enjoy it but its not this ground breaking epiphany its made out to be.

Lou Dobbs

Lurker
Reputation score

Director of avitar does documentaries much in movie is shown much. Why is not as all exception good is still.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I'm not sure what everyone thinks its so good for. i mean yeah i enjoyed it but it just doesn't seem to be as epic as promised. The effects are awesome as to be expected (but thats not to hard these days) but the story wasn't anything special, like a dances with wolves in space.

sure you're all bound to enjoy it but its not this ground breaking epiphany its made out to be.
It's been hyped up for much too long to be anything ground breaking. Indeed, the fact that such a hugely hyped movie is being quite enjoyed is almost mind shattering to me.

Momiji

Lurker
Reputation score

Just saw Avatar. It sucked, and I'm not sure why it was even hyped up nearly as much as it was.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Just saw Avatar. It sucked, and I'm not sure why it was even hyped up nearly as much as it was.
Of course, you can't please everyone.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

yeah, i can totaly see how it could suck. i think it spent to long in someones head.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

He has been trying to make it since Titanic... which was what, 1998?

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

I just saw it, and when I'm done gasming I'll be able to give a concise review.

Now if you'll excuse me. *goes back to squeeing and rolling on the floor*

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Saw it the other night. It was quite enjoyable to me actually. However, there were a few things that bothered me. One that stuck out in both mine and Sly's mine, was the use of the common "military commander" archetype. I know James Cameron started a lot of sci-fi archetypes with Aliens, but to use others that have been around since movies have been made me a little sad. I'd be interested to see a competent non assholish military commander at some point in a movie like this.

The special effects were pretty good. Not stunning, but that's what happens when your in development for longer than the 13 year old kids claiming James Cameron is ripping off Halo. The jungles however, were breathtaking, and at times I just wanted to step into that world to behold its beauty firsthand, while the dangers of Pandora offered a balance of realism.

The battle sequences, while quite awesome, also bothered me in a bit. How come during the first major fight the Na'vi arrows couldn't pierce the ships, but in the second fight pilots were getting impaled to their seats?

All in all however, I rather enjoyed the movie, and Sam Worthington is prooving himself to be quite the actor. I do want to see how he handles stepping into the sandals of Persues in Clash of the Titans.

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

in the first fight they went after the big ship.

The arrows could make it through the smaller ship glass as well as the glass of the walkers.

Lurker
Reputation score

I saw it today and quite enjoyed it, just a couple of things:

1) Every uniformed person on that planet was mentioned right at the start to actually be ex-military mercenaries. Who then proceeded to address each other by rank and speak in military jargon for the rest of the film.

2) There is literally no way to be sympathetic towards the villains. It's impossible. The colonel was a bad ass, but he was also a terrible dick. I have trouble with stories that don't leave room for interpretation and imagination.

3) It was very much a hippy film, witch kind of bugs me.

4) Who stayed? Jake obviously, Norm made it, and that bearded scientist. Did any other previously mentioned characters make it, or was that it? These things bug me.

Games Dude

Lurker
Reputation score

1) Every uniformed person on that planet was mentioned right at the start to actually be ex-military mercenaries. Who then proceeded to address each other by rank and speak in military jargon for the rest of the film.

2) There is literally no way to be sympathetic towards the villains. It's impossible. The colonel was a bad ass, but he was also a terrible dick. I have trouble with stories that don't leave room for interpretation and imagination.

4) Who stayed? Jake obviously, Norm made it, and that bearded scientist. Did any other previously mentioned characters make it, or was that it? These things bug me.
5 words or less:

Plot Holes.

Discuss.

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

Yeah they were Ex military, but that training doesn't die. My Grandfather was an MP in WWII but he still speaks in Military jargon sometimes. It's second nature.

And there is room for interpretation, there is a way to feel sorry for them. You get two Rousing Speeches. One from Jake to the Na'vi, and one from Commander pain in the ass to his men. Both were stirring, BOTH got my blood pumping.

Yes, it was a hippy tree huggy film. Part of what made me love it so much, but personal preference is just that, personal. :3

And why do we need to know who stays? There's not going to be a sequel. You do see anything past the transfer, and they weren't the focus of the movie anyway.

The movie was the most visually stunning movie I've seen. It was beautiful. The creatures were well thought out, given definition, personalities, and motive (As far as animals can be motivated) From the little hyena-dogs to the Huge Panther thing, and even to the Elephant analogs, this movie made me want to fight tooth and nail to get to Pandora.

The cultural aspect also blew me away. To the Na'vi this story embodied an "Epic Tale" by all definitions. The culture reminded me of the Native Americans, and some African tribes. The language was beautiful, created just for the purpose of this movie, and Executed beautifully.

And there were slight touches of realism throughout the movie too. The fact that many characters I'd gotten close to, or that Jake had gotten close to, the fact that people we knew died was impactful to me. It wasn't an "Everyone lives and goes home happy" or even a movie where the people who have been named live, like you see a lot. There was tragedy mixed in with the triumph.

>.>;; But yeah. It was amazing. I loved it. I think the only thing I didn't like was the fact that Grace died. xD But i understand the reasons for it, and agree that it was a nice plot touch.

Lurker
Reputation score

And there is room for interpretation, there is a way to feel sorry for them. You get two Rousing Speeches. One from Jake to the Na'vi, and one from Commander pain in the ass to his men. Both were stirring, BOTH got my blood pumping.

And why do we need to know who stays? There's not going to be a sequel. You do see anything past the transfer, and they weren't the focus of the movie anyway.
Colonel Scarface's speech basically amounted was derisive towards the people and the planet, and meant to inspire fear and violence on his men. The only point I will give the colonel is that he was going to keep his promise to Jake. Neither the mercs nor the corporate folks were shown to have any sympathy, save the one pilot who switched sides. No one even attempts to offer alternatives, except the scientists. They are constantly at odds with or ignored by the company and the mercs, their work used for intelligence purposes rather than trying to find any other solution.

We don't really need to know who stays, but I like to know where people end up. I guess it's curiosity, for the what-if part of my brain.