What's new

[Ren'py] Lovely Sails - Survival Dating Sim

SeeingStars

Reputation score
Hey all~

Another long-time lurker, first-time developer, hoping for feedback on a WIP game for Ren'py.

So for the Western audience, this game will probably come across as another STS clone, but my goal is to pay homage to the ol' Alicesoft titles. The aim is to be very character-driven with individual routes as opposed to one playthrough for a 100% harem.

Conceptually, the game will focus on being a fairly standard slice-of-life dating sim. Without going into too much detail, the player-character will be responsible for managing a housing complex while going to school. Tentative plans revolve around:
  • Relationship Building and Dates (managing stamina, courage, tension to ultimately pursue your preferred waifu; various NPCs can also be befriended for specific bonuses)
  • Some Framework of a Hotel Management System (tenant satisfaction = more money/better ratings?)
  • School Grade Checkpoints (keeping up with your schoolwork!)

So I've scripted the intro, storyboard the initial events, and have some idea of how I want each heroine's route to progress. Currently, I'm practicing art (just transitioned from pen & paper to digital) and learning a bit of Ren'Py language (fairly straightforward since I'm familiar with programming).

My main concern is whether or not there's any interest. I'm trying to avoid the influx of minigames as STS already does them so well, but is a simple interpretation of the Alicesoft dating-sim games engaging enough? Elsewhere is the art aesthetically pleasing? Admittedly digital art is something completely foreign to me, so this past month's been a crash course in Photoshop/Illustrator.

Anyhow, I know there's not much to go on, but any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You~~

Attachments

Last edited:

Acac

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
Re: [Ren'py] Dating Sim

I'd be keen! I love any kind of H-game that has some serious gameplay and/or management involved. I love Slave Maker 1/2/3 and Sim Brothel. :)

I think you'll have to consider if part of that hotel management involves H-scenes with those girls or not, because it can spill into NTR territory. Personally, I love NTR, but it's not everyone's cup of tea. Alternatively, you can scrap the love aspects of the game, and make the hotel management heavily involve whoring out your girls. You can even go full NTR, and although you love these girls (and your sister??), you just can't make the financial ends meet, unless you whore the girls out to disgusting fat/ugly/scummy dudes. Maybe the girls go all gyaru on you, and they don't care about you any more, stabbing you in the heart and leaving a scar that will never heal.

Anyway, up to you. :) I'd say, if you wanna make the game, just do it, whether or not there is a market for it. Otherwise, you'll live out the rest of your life, wondering what could have been.

Cheers!

P.S - I like your art style!

OP
SeeingStars

SeeingStars

Reputation score

I definitely enjoyed the challenge aspect of the NTR in all the Alicesoft titles. There's a sense of investment where you don't want to lose your heroines to those rivals (especially when you see how far they get degraded); however, I'm planning on making this game a bit more "light-hearted."

One concept I'm leaning towards, albeit months not weeks away from implementing, is a Harvest Moon type rival system. I.e. when you progress with one heroine, you get a scene that shows rivals progressing with the other heroines (shouldn't be too difficult if it's just an exchange of dialogue). They'll probably exist within their own bubbles though as I'm already planning events for 8-10 various NPCs/friends. This way, you still get the challenge/forces you to get attached to one heroine, without any of the stuff that'll alienate people.

In any case, I've storyboard/have a working concept for a few individual routes thus far -- plenty of drama lined up!

Here's the finished/WIP art of potential heroines.
From right-to-left: teacher, classmate, sister, strange tenant, celebrity.

Anyhow, thanks for the kind words!

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
SeeingStars

SeeingStars

Reputation score

Hey all~

Sorry for the lack of posts, a lot of the progress has mainly been building up experience with tools/programs and additional framework coding.

Nevertheless! I've more or less settled on the sprites for the initial characters. Still some polishing left, but shouldn't be too difficult to wrap that up this weekend. Moving onto the topic of an alpha release, there's two directions I hope to get feedback on with steering this project.

1. I can push out a "proof of concept" demo. Since the art and coding have been coming along together, it shouldn't be too difficult (*crosses fingers*) to have something out in a couple of weeks. Unfortunately tho, I'm still using stock background CGs (from the helpful folks off Lemma Soft Forums). Additionally any CGs I work on now will be drastically different from any in the future, since I'm constantly picking up new things to do with Photoshop.

2. Finishing up (almost) all the sprite work - remaining characters and facial expressions. Polishing system mechanics (probably not possible without feedback T.T). And begin background work.

Anyhow~ onto new art!

Attachments

OP
SeeingStars

SeeingStars

Reputation score
Still alive!

Hey all~

Sorry for the complete drop-off, I actually ended restructuring my game and stripped whatever salvageable assets I could. Still a dating sim, but the shift is no longer a traditional Slice-of-Life but rather Island-Survival.

Anyhow, introducing Lovely Sails!

Synopsis

Lovely Sails is an island survivor/dating sim where you take control over one of a dozen of survivors stranded on an uninhabited island. Explore the island, learn about your fellow survivors, and discover secrets as they unfold. Will you work in harmony to better your conditions?

Gameplay
  • Dating sim stats for Romantic Interests and Friends
  • Day/Night cycle to explore 9* main locations
  • Randomize NPC movement and dialogue sets
  • Survival resource management (foods and building materials)
  • Mini-games (foraging, hunting, cooking, possibly more?)
  • Main and sub-event branches for the overall story and NPCs
  • Multiple game over conditions. (To be implemented)
Content
  • 2D Art and Animation
  • Mostly M/F Vanilla
Essentially I'm aiming to have more of a gameplay-driven SLG game like the old Alicesoft/Softhouse Chara games. Still early (current build covers the level 1 events for all 11 NPCs), but testing/feedback/eyeballs are welcome.

Regards!

(Download Links and Pics @ )

Last edited: