What's new

RJ192515 - [2017.01.31 UPDATE] Chaosrise, a hentai danmaku game

Ziza

Demon Girl
Reputation score

| | | |

| |

IF YOU NOTICE ANY ISSUES, ERRORS OR STUFF THAT FEELS WEIRD, LET US KNOW!
I will be regularly updating this thread and I am also more than happy to answer any of your questions, hear your suggestions and engage with the community as much as possible.

2017.01.31 PUBLIC UPDATE - THE GAME IS OUT!

Current public demo contents:

• 1st & 2nd stage of the game
  • All 2 playable characters (Aria and Noire)
  • All 3 difficulty levels
  • Super awesome music by
  • Tutorial stage
  • Dialogs and cutscenes in English and Japanese
  • 1 pseudo-boss (it's indestructible, avoid it!)
  • 2 mid-bosses
  • 2 bosses
  • 4 types enemies
  • 10 hentai game-over CGs
  • Skill window to level up
  • Options menu (adjusting volume, controls, language and content)
  • Hi-scores list
  • Bonus menu (i.e. the gallery)
  • Save & Load feature

Can't run the game?

Most probably your PC (or, more likely, laptop) has an integrated graphics card - such machines may not be able to run the game :( However, for many users, installing all the latest drivers helps!

Game running slow (music on 1st stage ending way before the stage does)?

You may want to try to disable "wait for vertical refresh" option being forced by your graphic card - this needs to be done in the graphic card's settings.

Controls:

Arrow Keys - movement
Z - attack / next
Left Shift - slow down + show hitbox / fast forward dialogs
Left Ctrl - slow down + show hitbox + focus fire
X - spell
Tab - skip cutscenes
Esc - pause menu. Access it right away to use your first Skill Point :D!

Gameplay:

Don't attack all the time! As you shoot, character's attack power decreases. The red indicator shows how much power you have left; stop shooting to naturally regenerate your attack or gather red souls to regain it.
Early tests show that this is currently the most controversial part of the whole gameplay mechanics and it's still being tested and reviewed; new players will find it hard to efficiently manage their firepower, but trust me, you can quickly get there.

Spell makes you invulnerable for short time and has additional effects based on the character. Each use depletes your magic power by 1/3; you can hold X key longer to keep the spell working but it will drain your magic further! Magic will regenerate naturally - or by devouring blue souls.

Green indicator shows the amount of life you have left. The life will regenerate a little bit when you collect green souls, but every hit will always lower it exactly by 1.

Killing enemies is not only awarded with score, but also with experience. Gathering appropriate amount of experience – shown by yellow indicator – increases character level. Each level awards you with points to increase your skills, which can be done anytime in pause menu or after completing every stage.

The main source of score are not the enemies alone, but white souls left by them. If you wish to beat the high score, take your interest in these souls!

Screenshots:

Your feedback and support is appreciated! ^_^

Last edited:

Kuroneko.

Mystic Girl
Reputation score
Re: Chaosrise, a hentai danmaku game

I've always liked bullet hell games so this has peaked my interests :D

Last edited:

AGamerPassingBy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I have some feedback, will you hear it?

The soul items are too transparent, it sometimes blend in with the background in my eyes. Maybe you can make the color brighter?

All X spell makes you invincible, right? But what's the one in demo actually doing? And the first time i use it, i actually freaked out because all enemy's bullet suddenly chases me! Maybe change the appearance of the spell-affected bullet?

The power gauge really is controversial, at one side it actually depletes too slowly, and regen too slowly, and the red soul recovers too little, and the strength of the bullets actually hard to notice when playing the game.
At this moment, the Power Gauge is simply a feature that quickly forgotten, it failed to serve as a mechanics that will make the game challenging and fun.

OP
Ziza

Ziza

Demon Girl
Reputation score

The soul items are too transparent, it sometimes blend in with the background in my eyes. Maybe you can make the color brighter?
Interesting, we'll play with the transparency. One thing we need to be careful is to make sure these are not too apparent so that they are not confused with bullets.

All X spell makes you invincible, right? But what's the one in demo actually doing?
For this character, each bullet it consumes regenerates your attack power (red gauge) :)

And the first time i use it, i actually freaked out because all enemy's bullet suddenly chases me! Maybe change the appearance of the spell-affected bullet?
Yes, we are working on some additional effects and animations, for this and many other aspects of the game.

The power gauge really is controversial, at one side it actually depletes too slowly, and regen too slowly, and the red soul recovers too little, and the strength of the bullets actually hard to notice when playing the game.
At this moment, the Power Gauge is simply a feature that quickly forgotten, it failed to serve as a mechanics that will make the game challenging and fun.
That's definitely the first time I hear feedback like that; so far most players complained about it depleting too quickly, leaving them with too weak attack :) Perhaps you didn't notice much difference because you actually managed your attack pretty well?
There are currently three "levels" of firepower - below 50% you only have your single, main stream of bullets (at which point it makes it really hard to do any significant damage); below 90% you have the main stream and two additional streams of side bullets (that's what you start the game with); and over 90%, at which point you have your main bullet and four additional streams of side bullets, turning you into a device of pain and destruction.
How would you see this mechanic changed, what, in your opinion, would make it more noticable or affecting the gameplay?

Last edited:

djweish

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Pretty cool! You might want to add to the OP that you can access the pause menu by pressing escape.

Demo was a little easy, but I assume that's because it's to show off the game (and you start with some nice stuff).

OP
Ziza

Ziza

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Pretty cool! You might want to add to the OP that you can access the pause menu by pressing escape.
Very good remark, I've updated it and will add it to README on the next release - thank you!

Demo was a little easy, but I assume that's because it's to show off the game (and you start with some nice stuff).
Yes, it's just the very first stage and the very lowest difficulty level. Not much of a bullet "hell" yet ;)

Last edited:

AGamerPassingBy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Interesting, we'll play with the transparency. One thing we need to be careful is to make sure these are not too apparent so that they are not confused with bullets.
How about animating them to blink with white for example, or a more classic animation of enlarging and shrinking and enlarging and you get what i mean. I think this will also entice the player more to collect it. But if you already planned this exclusively to a certain item, then nevermind..

For this character, each bullet it consumes regenerates your attack power (red gauge) :)
That's cool! But kinda broken if you use it right, when fighting bosses who spits bullet like no tomorrow :D, i mean i can just shoot bullets like hell (Pun intended) without worry of being hit myself and my Power Gauge dropping below 90%. If this is exactly the feeling you aim for this X Spell then congrats! :)

Yes, we are working on some additional effects and animations, for this and many other aspects of the game.
Great to hear!

That's definitely the first time I hear feedback like that; so far most players complained about it depleting too quickly, leaving them with too weak attack :) Perhaps you didn't notice much difference because you actually managed your attack pretty well?
There are currently three "levels" of firepower - below 50% you only have your single, main stream of bullets (at which point it makes it really hard to do any significant damage); below 90% you have the main stream and two additional streams of side bullets (that's what you start the game with); and over 90%, at which point you have your main bullet and four additional streams of side bullets, turning you into a device of pain and destruction.
How would you see this mechanic changed, what, in your opinion, would make it more noticable or affecting the gameplay?
Oh my gosh, i felt so ashamed..
I actually interpret the "As you shoot, character's attack power decreases." to "the power gauge directly factor the damage you dealt." It didn't help that i actually manage to stay "below 90%" mode all the time i play this.. Waow.
So, please forget my complain about "the strength of the bullets actually hard to notice when playing the game.".

The Power Gauge feel more like an investment. If you choose to rise it up from the start you'll have easier time with further enemies wave, but if you choose to use it up from the start you'll get harder time with further enemies.

If there are already people's who felt the Power Gauge depletes too quickly, then i think the speed of its depletion are already fine as it is. Just upped the amount recovered by Red Soul, as of right now the amount one Red Soul recovered can quickly diminish if i keep shooting for 1 second, making the impression that the Red Soul aren't really that useful of a drops.

Or you could increase the chance of Red Souls to drops. Collecting bunch of Red Souls at once will surely gives player a more apparent benefits.

You should also increase the amount of Power Gauge Regeneration, the rule of thumb is the time for charging should always faster than the time to steadily depletes it. Imagine if your tablet needs to be recharged for one hour just so you can play it exactly one hour or less, pretty frustrating isn't it?

As of now the Power Gauge regeneration doesn't really reliable if you want to increase your arsenal. Maybe this is intentional to drives player to collect Red Souls but as mentioned above currently the Red Souls appears too rare, and recovers too little, and you actually need to shoot enemies so they drop red souls right? If my power are already at minimum, my only salvation is to rely on Power Gauge regeneration.

With greater power regeneration, this will instil hope within players who actually low on fire power when facing bosses. They can stop attacking the boss, building the Power Gauge while they can concentrate more on dodging, and then release it with a fury when the time comes. I think this will actually make the game more fun and challenging even when you have low Power Gauge don't you think?

But well, generally you can solve these problems by providing an unlockable skill upgrade that takes care of it.

Last edited:
OP
Ziza

Ziza

Demon Girl
Reputation score

How about animating them to blink with white for example, or a more classic animation of enlarging and shrinking and enlarging and you get what i mean. I think this will also entice the player more to collect it. But if you already planned this exclusively to a certain item, then nevermind..
What we wish to achive is for those powerups to never be too much of a distraction, especially when some really complicated patterns of bullets come into play; it's a matter of balance here and we will surely explore different possibilities.

That's cool! But kinda broken if you use it right, when fighting bosses who spits bullet like no tomorrow :D, i mean i can just shoot bullets like hell (Pun intended) without worry of being hit myself and my Power Gauge dropping below 90%. If this is exactly the feeling you aim for this X Spell then congrats! :)
There are two characters and their attack as well as spell differs greatly: Aria's "bullet-consuming" spell, while allowing to keep Attack high (that is, assuming you actually have a huge number of bullets to consume), doesn't do any damage to enemies, making it harder to deal with bigger waves; Noire (we will introduce her in future demos) has a more "classic" spell that simply paralyzes and deals massive damage to all enemies, but nothing besides that.
This way we hope to achieve a completely different gameplay approach, requiring players to use their spells at the right moment - and keep in mind that you can't use them all the time, you need to wait for them to regenerate too :)

I actually interpret the "As you shoot, character's attack power decreases." to "the power gauge directly factor the damage you dealt." It didn't help that i actually manage to stay "below 90%" mode all the time i play this.. Waow.
Some of our explanations may be a bit... unclear, but we don't want to share 100% of the info and prefer players to discover the mechanics as they play :D

You should also increase the amount of Power Gauge Regeneration, the rule of thumb is the time for charging should always faster than the time to steadily depletes it. Imagine if your tablet needs to be recharged for one hour just so you can play it exactly one hour or less, pretty frustrating isn't it?

As of now the Power Gauge regeneration doesn't really reliable if you want to increase your arsenal. Maybe this is intentional to drives player to collect Red Souls but as mentioned above currently the Red Souls appears too rare, and recovers too little, and you actually need to shoot enemies so they drop red souls right? If my power are already at minimum, my only salvation is to rely on Power Gauge regeneration.

With greater power regeneration, this will instil hope within players who actually low on fire power when facing bosses. They can stop attacking the boss, building the Power Gauge while they can concentrate more on dodging, and then release it with a fury when the time comes. I think this will actually make the game more fun and challenging even when you have low Power Gauge don't you think?

But well, generally you can solve these problems by providing an unlockable skill upgrade that takes care of it, but that's is not a very wise decision in my opinion.
There actually are two skills for that - Attack Upkeep (making the gauge deplete slower) and Attack Regeneration (making the gauge regenerate quicker) so do give them a try :)! You have one Skill Point available from the very beginning and you receive two more if you level up - just hit Esc and enter Skill Window in pause menu.
Right now the difference may not be this noticable though and it's possible we will try to go with more "dynamic" approach (gauge depleting and regenerating much faster) - tests will show...

Dantaimori

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

RE: items. Honestly the only real 'bullet hell' game I've played is Touhou so I sort of expected it to 'fall' and took me ages to recognize. Digression aside, how about making them have a contrasting appearance to the background?

To give examples, I guess make it 3D-esque items on a 2D-background or give it a soft-glow black border [instead of full-on opacity control], or perhaps something like that awkwardness of a poorly-photoshopped image? I personally don't think any of those would be 'too distracting'. D-do they make sense?

Q: installation. This is just my pet peeve and not so much a 'fault' or anything but is there any reason why the game must be installed? It'd be nice to have an extractor and/or standalone folder instead.

Q: Focus Fire. I'm not sure what's the use of this 'focus fire' because apparently all it does is insignificantly change the angle of the shots when there are no targets. Am I missing something here?

EDIT: for the record the intention of RE:items was to give suggestions and am not really expecting a reply or a 'reason' as to why it can/cannot work.

Last edited:

AGamerPassingBy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

What we wish to achive is for those powerups to never be too much of a distraction, especially when some really complicated patterns of bullets come into play; it's a matter of balance here and we will surely explore different possibilities.
There really are many possibilities, i can imagine a situation like this- :D

[Oh my god f%ck this stage! What the hell with that bullet pattern!? Damn it just die all of you already!! My health is only 10% below! And my fire power at the absolute bottom! I cannot hold.. much.. longer.. F%ck if only i didn't waste my magic power at that damn last wav.. *Suddenly Big Blue Soul appears* Oh! OH! OOOHHH!!!! *Awesomely dodges the hell of bullets like matrix to pick up the soul* *picked up the soul* *Press X* MUAHAHAHAHAAA!!! Die you all, danmaku-sh!tter!! *Totally rekt the stage like boss*.]

Sorry..

There are two characters and their attack as well as spell differs greatly: Aria's "bullet-consuming" spell, while allowing to keep Attack high (that is, assuming you actually have a huge number of bullets to consume), doesn't do any damage to enemies, making it harder to deal with bigger waves; Noire (we will introduce her in future demos) has a more "classic" spell that simply paralyzes and deals massive damage to all enemies, but nothing besides that.
This way we hope to achieve a completely different gameplay approach, requiring players to use their spells at the right moment - and keep in mind that you can't use them all the time, you need to wait for them to regenerate too :)
But the depletion rates of their respective spell are different, right?
Aria's spell should consume magic steadily, while Noire's should instantly eats a chunk of magic.
Oh this is just my suggestion, feel free to surprise me instead! ;)

Some of our explanations may be a bit... unclear, but we don't want to share 100% of the info and prefer players to discover the mechanics as they play :D
Don't worry you're innocent Ziza, the ones to blame is my overly analytical brain.

There actually are two skills for that - Attack Upkeep (making the gauge deplete slower) and Attack Regeneration (making the gauge regenerate quicker) so do give them a try :)! You have one Skill Point available from the very beginning and you receive two more if you level up - just hit Esc and enter Skill Window in pause menu.
Right now the difference may not be this noticable though and it's possible we will try to go with more "dynamic" approach (gauge depleting and regenerating much faster) - tests will show...
I wish you good luck! :)

OP
Ziza

Ziza

Demon Girl
Reputation score

To give examples, I guess make it 3D-esque items on a 2D-background or give it a soft-glow black border [instead of full-on opacity control], or perhaps something like that awkwardness of a poorly-photoshopped image? I personally don't think any of those would be 'too distracting'. D-do they make sense?
It may actually be reasonable to just introduce a very small "contour" around them; sometimes just one-pixel line makes a huge difference. We will explore different possibilities ;)

Q: installation. This is just my pet peeve and not so much a 'fault' or anything but is there any reason why the game must be installed? It'd be nice to have an extractor and/or standalone folder instead.
We may ultimately go with just a .zip archive, especially that apparently every .exe you host is deadly and dangerous unless of course you purchase an additional "s" to your "http" for just 170€ a year =___=

Q: Focus Fire. I'm not sure what's the use of this 'focus fire' because apparently all it does is insignificantly change the angle of the shots when there are no targets. Am I missing something here?
In case of Aria, this slightly focuses the stream but also makes her homing bullets "turn" a bit slower, allowing them not to target very faraway enemies. And yes, we realise the homing algorithm is currently far from perfect when there are multiple enemies on the screen >_>
Noire firing pattern is much different (no homings!) and so focus will also affect it more.

But the depletion rates of their respective spell are different, right?
Aria's spell should consume magic steadily, while Noire's should instantly eats a chunk of magic.
Oh this is just my suggestion, feel free to surprise me instead! ;)
Actually their duration and depletion rates are similar. The idea is:
- hitting X uses spell and the spell is active for a couple of seconds. This consumes 1/3 of Magic instantly
- you can hold X for the spell to be active longer but, after the basic duration is over, your magic will start depleting steadily

As long as the spell is active, you are invincible and consume all powerups in its area; in case of Aria, it also consumes bullets, increasing her Attack. For Noire, it just freezes and damages enemies for as long as it is active (the amount of damage depends on how much Magic she has left).

I wish you good luck! :)
Thanks for your support and feedback ^_^!

djweish

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Saving the spell for when there are a lot of bullets on screen to get a big Attack boost worked pretty well at keeping the Attack Gauge high.

AGamerPassingBy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Saving the spell for when there are a lot of bullets on screen to get a big Attack boost worked pretty well at keeping the Attack Gauge high.
Only if you're playing as Aria though ( the very character you play in the demo, the developer said that there will be another playable character whose spell will be a damage-dealer type).

You'll need another strategy for the other character.

LewdLogic

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Your title was nice and covered on LG baby. My writer for the article sees a lot of potential in the game. However he felt that losing for sexy times to get the H was a bit weird.

Perhaps it would be best to implement that system some other way?

Last edited:

Dataslycer

Cthulhu
Reputation score

I can kind of wondering if Danmakufu had a play in making this.

OP
Ziza

Ziza

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Your title was nice and covered on LG baby. My writer for the article sees a lot of potential in the game. However he felt that losing for sexy times to get the H was a bit weird.

Perhaps it would be best to implement that system some other way?
First of all, thanks a lot! Really cool to get covered by you so early on!

Aside from game-over CGs we are also planning to introduce cutscenes content later on; beating the stage will also unlock the CGs so that the player is not forced to lose to see them.

I can kind of wondering if Danmakufu had a play in making this.
The game is made from scratch in C++ :)

OP
Ziza

Ziza

Demon Girl
Reputation score

The public demo is now updated - the only change is that being killed by soldier doesn't crash the game anymore. The game-over CG is still the same though.

Cracklemere

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Ohoho, Woah.

This game looks incredible! Eyes will be kept on the progress of development :D.

Mistix

Lurker
Reputation score

Since my rig died on me, I'm stuck with my old laptop *yuck*...
I have Windows Vista on it and apparently I can't run your game.
I try to run the .exe file and the process only appears for a split second on the task manager and then vanishes. No error or a warning at all.
Any clues on this?

OP
Ziza

Ziza

Demon Girl
Reputation score

This game looks incredible! Eyes will be kept on the progress of development :D.
Thank you <3!

Since my rig died on me, I'm stuck with my old laptop *yuck*...
I have Windows Vista on it and apparently I can't run your game.
I try to run the .exe file and the process only appears for a split second on the task manager and then vanishes. No error or a warning at all.
Any clues on this?
We had similar issues with some laptops and it may still take a while to adjust and optimise the game to run on as many machines as possible; can you please PM me with your exact hardware specification? We'll try to do some adjustments and send you over a new .exe to try out.