What's new

[RP Idea] Labrynth Death Race

Mirchie

The user previously known as Hero-in-the-Dark
Reputation score
Ok, this is an idea that I had, to try and better my GM'ing skills. I have only tried my hand at it once before, and that was with a few friends, who said it went quite well.

The idea is pretty simple. Its a labrynth. There are a certain amount of player characters, who have to race through the Labrynth to the finish line, at which point the first to get there will be awarded something to help them out in the final stage of the game, which is a Free-for-all between the players.

I would like to point out this RP, if I ever get any interest, will be pretty damn short compared to many others on this forum, and frequency of updates will fluctuate wildly depending on how big a case of 'cba' I have on that particular day. The reason for the length of this RP is that I don't want to make a really long one if it turns out I'm a shite GM.

Also, it is highly likely that there will be references to various games/movies, since when I run out of original ideas that is the first place I delve. How noticeable these references are will also be differing. So therefore, if you don't want to suddenly be in Fangorn Forest or Shadow Moses Island, steer away from this thread now. I have 4 intros that I used for my friends, and anyone as geeky as me will instantly recognize the blatant references in at least one of them.

There is a possibility of erotic content, since there are demons in the labrynth as well as normal creatures, you may run into lustful creatures such as Succubi or Incubi. However, this RP is not currently erotica-based.

I will post character sheet templates if I actually get any interest. Possibly a more general setting. I am looking for no more than 5 players, preferably 4 or less, as I will run out of original content faster the more players there are. If this goes well, I may make one which involves more players.

So... yeah.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Re: [RP Idea] Labrynth Death Race

interest in 2 weeks

Janna

Lurker
Reputation score

*raises her hand* I'm interested, too. Smaller RPs in general seem like a good idea.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Intrested. Give me an excuse to use a combat-based char

OP
Mirchie

Mirchie

Reputation score

Seems good, 3 interests so far, so I'll post a character sheet.

Name:
Race: (This can be anything, and certain races have certain bonuses, humans get Quick To Learn, which is of limited use in this setting, but is still open. I would like to point out that your race has to be an intelligent one, so no trolls/ogres and needs to be humanoid, so no dragons please.)
Class: (Again, can be anything within reason. No Jedi please.)
Backstory: (Not really important, but I know that I like writing them out anyway sometimes.)
Attributes:
Strength: 10
Dexterity: 10
Constitution: 10
Charisma: 10
Intelligence: 10
Wisdom: 10
HP: (Base of 20, add double your constitution, and half your strength.)
Mana: (Base of 100, add triple your wisdom.)
All characters get a base of 10 for all their stats and get 50 more points to allocate freely, though no single stat can exceed 50.
Strength is obviously how strong your character is, and determines damage, especially so in unarmed, as it is used to decipher your base hand/foot damage, but unless you get it to 50, there's no ripping trees out of the ground :p
Dexterity is your characters ability to do athletic stuff, escape things, dodge attacks, and influences your chances of hitting an enemy.
Constitution is not of much use apart from determining your characters HP, though it influences certain events such as resistance to poison gases. Also, should your character hit 0HP, a 'saving roll' is made, a 1d6 usually, and the higher your characters constitution is, the lower roll is required to survive. Your character, if they pass their saving roll, will be simply knocked unconscious, and lose some time, giving the other players a chance to get ahead of them.
Charisma is your character's ability to mix in with other sentient beings, and may affect whether or not certain animals attack you. (I would like to point out that this is not the most useful of abilities in this setting, but I still included it for people who wish to put a few points into it.)
Intelligence is your characters ability to cast spells, and searching for stuff (traps, hints etc etc), though certain intelligence-affiliated things will rely on the player instead (such as riddles).
Wisdom sets your mana pool limits, and not a lot else.

Each level you gain, you attain you Constitution divided by 10, rounded down, in HP (so 15 constitution would be an extra 1HP, 27 Constitution would be an extra 2HP etc) and your wisdom rounded to the nearest 10 in mana (5's round down. so 15 wisdom is 10 mana, 16 wisdom is 20 mana). Every 3 levels you attain a Feat, more below.

Players may put forward their own spellbooks, which can be as big as they want, with effects, and what you think their mana cost should be.

Resting will regenerate mana and HP, but at the cost of time. Alternatively you can drink potions to various effects, or eat food, which will have a smaller positive effect on HP.

All players may choose a 1-handed weapon to start with, just a plain one, and armour as well, as listed:
Robes: No armour bonuses, +1 to spellcasting.
Leather: Strong vs blunt, weak vs pierce & slash.
Mail: Strong vs slash, average vs pierce, weak vs blunt, -1 to spellcasting.
Plate: Strong vs pierce, average vs slash, weak vs blunt, -2 to spellcasting, -2 to dexterity.

Feats are abilities gained by a character each 3 levels they attain, so at level 3, 6, 9 etc etc. Players may suggest any feats in here for me to approve of, but I will list a few examples.
Quick to Learn: Characters attain an extra 5% experience on everything, and get 2 feats every 4 levels instead of 1 feat every 3 (humans only)
Lightning reflexes: +3 to all dodging rolls
Dual wield: Obvious really
Silent Spellcasting: Your character can cast spells without calling a magic word, so good for mages who want to be stealthy.

I will put a bit more info up again, when characters have been submitted.

Mrmrmrmrmrmgh what did I miss? Any suggestions to improve or whatever just point it out.

Last edited:

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Name: Xerberus
Race: Thrull (Insectoid Race)
Class: Broodlet (In classic thought, Scout/Hunter)
Backstory: A strange alien thats been forced into the world here. She wants nothing more to get back home, and hopes winning this race will allow her to.

Attributes:
Strength: 20
Dexterity: 25
Constitution: 20
Charisma: 15
Intelligence: 20
HP: 70 (20 + 2 x C1-20 + halfS-10 x S-20)
Mana: 130 (100 + 3 x W-10)

Suggested Feats, based off of Xerberus's design-

Biological Plating- Characters count as having Plate armor for skin
Large Claws- claws count as being Weapons for damage calculation.
Body Spikes- the character has a chance of doing counter damage when grappled.
Functioning Wings- Wings allow the character to fly away from danger, and increases travel time. (This understandibly is not a starting feat)

Last edited:
OP
Mirchie

Mirchie

Reputation score

Name: Xerberus
Race: Thrull (Insectoid Race)
Class: Broodlet (In classic thought, Scout/Hunter)
Backstory: A strange alien thats been forced into the world here. She wants nothing more to get back home, and hopes winning this race will allow her to.

Attributes:
HP: ??? (20 + 2 x C1-20 + half? x S-20)
Mana: 300 (100 + 3 x W-10)

Suggested Feats, based off of Xerberus's design-

Biological Plating- Characters count as having Plate armor for skin
Large Claws- claws count as being Weapons for damage calculation.
Body Spikes- the character has a chance of doing counter damage when grappled.
Functioning Wings- Wings allow the character to fly away from danger, and increases travel time. (This understandibly is not a starting feat)
Right, sorry I didn't make the HP clearer, it would be 20 (base) + 40 (Constitution times by 2) + 10 (half of strength) so Xerberus would have 70HP. Also her mana pool would be 130, not 300, since its 100 + 30 (wisdom times by 3, i.e 10x3). I will point out a few more things later but I'm in a hurry atm, and some of the things I want to wait until everyone who wants to play has posted character sheets. Although it seems I neglected to add Gender to the character sheets, everyone else add that please. Other than those and a couple of things that will wait till later, seems fine.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Right, sorry I didn't make the HP clearer, it would be 20 (base) + 40 (Constitution times by 2) + 10 (half of strength) so Xerberus would have 70HP. Also her mana pool would be 130, not 300, since its 100 + 30 (wisdom times by 3, i.e 10x3). I will point out a few more things later but I'm in a hurry atm, and some of the things I want to wait until everyone who wants to play has posted character sheets. Although it seems I neglected to add Gender to the character sheets, everyone else add that please. Other than those and a couple of things that will wait till later, seems fine.
Editing now in it's post

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Do want, though I'll have to post a character up later.

Lurker
Reputation score

interest shown please wait till after finals... :p

OP
Mirchie

Mirchie

Reputation score

May as well introduce my character, though she isn't in the race, you guys might encounter her at various points.

Name: Suzy
Race: Elf
Class: Assassin
Backstory: A High Elf born to nobility, but recruited by the Assassin's Guild shortly after her coming of age. Possessing unnatural agility, far above any other assassin, she quickly grew through the ranks. She has been known to take down her targets with twin cutlasses, a bandolier of throwing knives, and a crossbow fitted with a zooming scope. She wears flowing robes that are in a variety of dark greys, which serve to break her outline and allow her to meld into the shadows, the most useful part of her outfit being a thick hood that covers her shoulder length, bright orange hair. She has now been sent to a Labrynth in the middle of nowhere to secure the treasures at its centre, and hold it while her masters play a little game...
Attributes:
Dexterity: 50
Constitution: 25
Wisdom: 20
HP: 80
Mana: 160
(Yes she has a lot of stat points, but shes a higher level and mine :p)
Feats: Lightning Reflexes, Dual Wield, Stalker, Tough, Silent Spellcasting
Spells/abilities: Marksmans Shot, cast word: Wolf, +3 to hit with ranged weapon, mana cost: 20
Shadow Meld, cast word: Octopus, +5 to stealth rolls, mana cost: 50

You guys won't have as many feats to start with, but feel free to list suggestions, and they may be unlockable later. Also feel free to submit spellbooks for your particular character.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Okay, before I post my character I have a few questions that I want to ask;

1) How will damage be calculated for weapons and magic? Will we decide how much damage our spells do (either a solid damage score like 10 damage or will it be dice-based, eg. 2d6?) and will you be deciding on how much damage weapons do?

2) Will there be elemental damage and status effects included? My character's magic will be mostly, if not completely dark elemental-based, will there be enemies who will be resist and weak to it? Some of his magic will be doing additional effects, some of them being status effects, so I need to know if there is gonna be status effects before I post them.

3) You've said that our characters gain additional feats as they level up, so how will experience gain be calculated?

4) Still on the topic of levels, when our characters level up do they gain additional points to put in their stats?

5) When our characters rest how much HP/MP will they regenerate? On that note, how will the characters find potions? Will they be on their enemies or do they gain money and can find shops to purchase items from?

Thats all the questions I have for now, I think. If I remember any or if any come to me that I haven't asked/you haven't answered I'll post them.

OP
Mirchie

Mirchie

Reputation score

Okay, before I post my character I have a few questions that I want to ask;

1) How will damage be calculated for weapons and magic? Will we decide how much damage our spells do (either a solid damage score like 10 damage or will it be dice-based, eg. 2d6?) and will you be deciding on how much damage weapons do?

2) Will there be elemental damage and status effects included? My character's magic will be mostly, if not completely dark elemental-based, will there be enemies who will be resist and weak to it? Some of his magic will be doing additional effects, some of them being status effects, so I need to know if there is gonna be status effects before I post them.

3) You've said that our characters gain additional feats as they level up, so how will experience gain be calculated?

4) Still on the topic of levels, when our characters level up do they gain additional points to put in their stats?

5) When our characters rest how much HP/MP will they regenerate? On that note, how will the characters find potions? Will they be on their enemies or do they gain money and can find shops to purchase items from?

Thats all the questions I have for now, I think. If I remember any or if any come to me that I haven't asked/you haven't answered I'll post them.
Whoopsie!

1) Spells have a minimum base damage, then dice are rolled to see how much extra they do. Conventional weapons vary depending on the weapon itself, and where on the body you hit (not so much of a problem for spells, except for, you know, headshots :p) but conventional weapons will do set stuff, for example a Longsword is 2d7+3, while a Katana is 1d20, and a 1h spear will do 3d4+2. Also, armour values fluctuate depending on what's hitting them, Pierce, Blunt, Slash, or various magics.

2) Elemental stuff is included, and there will be some things that are weak to certain elements, for lack of a better example, think similar to Pokemon, that applies for Status effects aswell.

3) Experience... well, this was one of the things I was waiting for the other characters for, but for now, experience is earned in usual ways, fighting, completing challenges, there are a couple of items that give you it as-well. Monsters have certain amounts of Experience points assigned to them, and instead of them being worth less Exp the higher your level, the gaps between levels simply get bigger. For example, say you defeat a Snakeman (one of the, if not the easiest opponents I'm including), he would be worth 10 exp, assuming he's a low ranked one, and so you get 10xp. Say you defeat another Snakeman of the same stats, but at lv 10, he would still give you 10xp.

4) When a character levels up, they gain their Constitution divided by 10 rounded to the nearest whole number in HP, and their Wisdom to the 10 below it in mana(i.e 28 wisdom=20 mana). Attribute points per level are your intelligence divided by 10 and rounded to the nearest whole number in attribute points to spend freely in any stat, each level.

5) The amount of HP/Mana regenerated is dependent on how long you spend resting. 10HP and 40 mana for 30 mins rest. Potions etc will be found, either on fallen enemies, or as rewards. There are no shops, as I haven't bothered with a monetary system.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Name: Isaac Matthews
Race: Undead (human in appearance)
Class: Death Lord (think kind of like a necromancer)
Backstory: Waking up in the middle of a deserted road in a stormy night, Isaac had no recollection of what had happened to him, it even took him a while to realise that he had become a member of the undead. He did however remember he was travelling with his sister, though once he had woken up she was gone. He has now taken to travelling, compelled for some unknown reason to find his sister, wondering if she had fallen to the same fate as him.

Isaac is an accomplished mage, even while he was still alive. He dabbled in necromancy, though it wasn't until he became an undead did he really start to work into it. Using his connection to dark energies, he developed his own special brand of dark magic. Isaac wears several layers of clothing, his outer layer consists of a thick, long cloak that hangs loose from his body, the second is a robe that is loosely tied around his middle and his third layer consists of formal dresswear similar in fashion to what they wore in the late 19th century. All of which is black.

Isaac himself is deathly white, his black hair comes to just below his ears and he is rather gaunt. Being a member of the undead he doesn't have to rest in the conventional sense, and he doesn't need to eat either, though he is rather fond of raw flesh when he gets the chance to eat it. He talks in a slow, monotonous manner, showing very little emotion even when he's extremely angry. As he is undead Isaac is weak to fire and fire-based attacks/magic. Holy energy seems to hurt him a lot too, but he is unaffected by any spells that turn or rebuke undead.

Attributes:
Strength: 15
Dexterity: 10
Constitution: 15
Intelligence: 30
Wisdom: 30
HP: 58 (20+(20X2+15/2[rounded up]))
Mana: 190 (100+30X3)

Racial Traits
Weak to Fire and Holy attacks - Isaac takes double damage from fire and holy-based attacks.
Zombie Snack - When using a bite attack Isaac recovers HP equal to half of the damage dealt.

Special Abilities
'Control/Create Undead'-
This allows Isaac to turn any fallen enemy/comrade into a member of the undead, a slave to Isaac's every whim. The zombie will retain all stats, attacks, weapons etc... that it had whilst alive with the exception of its Intelligence and Wisdom score. These will be decreased to zero as the zombie will not be able to cast any spells.

In addition to that Isaac will have to spend Mana equal to; Enemy Lv.X10+(Enemy Lv.X10/2) in order to create the undead. This Mana cost will temporarily be sealed off from the rest of Isaac's Mana, until either the zombie is killed or Isaac dismisses it. (For example, if a Lv.1 enemy was turned into a zombie it would cost 15 MP and then Isaac would not be able to regenerate that MP until the zombie was killed or dismissed.)

Isaac also has a limit to how many zombie's he can create at each level. He can only create undead upto half his level rounded up and to a minimum of 1. So he can 1 at lv.1, 1 at lv.2, 2 at lv.3, 2 at lv.4, 3 at lv5 etc...
((More will be posted when they are needed and once they have been approved))

Spells/Skills
Spells
Shadow Ball [10MP][6 Dmg] - Isaac shoots out a weak ball of dark energy dealing 6 damage. At level 2 Isaac can fire an additional Shadow Ball which deals an additional 6 damage at the cost of 5 extra MP, and at every even-numbered level after that he gains another ball at the cost of 5MP for each.
Dark Fire [40MP][20Dmg+Poison] - Isaac summons fire created from dark energy (it's dark-based, not fire-based) to burn his target. As well as dealing damage it has the chance to poison the target.
Death Grip [25MP][5%HP Dmg] - An invisible force grabs the target and stops them from moving. Additionally every turn that they fail to break free they recieve damage equal to 5% of their max HP.
((More will be posted as and when I think them up))

Skills
Nightmare - Isaac has to touch his target for this ability to have any effect. Once this skill has been activated on a target, the next time the target rests the HP/MP recovery is instead passed onto Isaac. This only happens the first time the target rests, after that the skill is lifted off him/her.
((More will be posted as and when I think them up))

Equipment
Weapons: Claw and Bite attack (natural weapons)
Armour: Robe (No armour bonuses, +1 to spellcasting)

Last edited:
OP
Mirchie

Mirchie

Reputation score

Approved, also, everyone, what do you think of the idea of partnering up to enter the Labrynth, either with another player, or with an NPC companion?

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Name: Brychrius
Race: Human
Class: Gladiator
Backstory: Brychrius was a young blacksmith apprentice before the blacksmith sold him out as a slave to pay for his own debts. He was picked up for his strength, even as a small boy. He was chosen to be a gladiator, fighting alongside men twice his age, outmatching their power singularly, but was lucky enough to never be overwhelmed by enemies because the other warriors went out of their way to protect the child, who they felt didn't deserve the same lives as them. He grew up alongside them fighting his entire life, and starting to become the one protecting the lot of them when they were staring death in the face. Finally when he won his freedom, he was awarded a gauntlet for his efforts, tipped with spikes across the knuckles and the back of his hand. Missing his life as an imprisoned slave, he decided he'd get arrested once more, and would do so by seeking vengeance on the blacksmith who turned on him as a kid. When he arrived at the shop, the blacksmith was with a strange old man dressed in robes and long hair that covered his face. When the blacksmith pointed his hand at the now-grown warrior, the old man started a small chant which Brychrius didn't understand. He started moving towards the pair, ready to maul them, tear them both apart, but his feet started to betray him, feeling too heavy. He looked down to see his feet were sinking into the ground, which now was turning black as pitch. It started to swirl around him and he sunk further and disappeared into the mass, waking up only to find he was now in...

Attributes:
Strength: 35
Intelligence: 10
HP: 78 (I guessed it would be rounded down)
Mana: 130

Equipment:
Mail: Strong vs slash, average vs pierce, weak vs blunt, -1 to spellcasting.
Spiked Gauntlet: In terms of being a weapon does little to add range, but boosts his natural melee abilities and damage.

I'm having trouble deciphering feats from abilities and whether or not they actually start with a feat or if it's a list of things they can unlock.
For instance, were you saying that humans automatically get quick to learn, or only they have access to it?

Other than that, I can't think of much more past percent chances of increased damage or something like that. He tends to be more of a powerhouse

Not much for NPC's if they're only going to serve as confusion and more work for the GM. I'd have no problem with us entering singularly, but allowed the chance to run into each other, giving chance to pair up or go separate ways at that point.

Last edited:

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

HP is rounded up, I asked Hero on that matter a couple of days ago. And characters start off with 1 feat, that I'm sure of. I'm not sure about the Quick to Learn feat though.

And as Burrito isn't going to be playing this now I wont be partnering up with anyone, at the start at least. But I like the idea of people meeting up during the game. The RP itself sounds like a non-erotic version of Jumpers, which is awwwwwwwwwwwwrriiiight in my eyes. Seeing as my character can create his own teammates though, I doubt I will pair up with anyone midgame unless they can convince Isaac that they'd be valuable to him.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

thank you I'll edit it up a bit

And I like the possibility too though I also probably won't be joining people, but probably because he's an uncharismatic ass

OP
Mirchie

Mirchie

Reputation score

I'm not sure about the Quick to Learn feat though.
Yeah, Human's get Quick to Learn instead of a different feat at level 1, they have no choice in the matter. It allows 2 feats every 4 levels, as opposed to 1 feat every 3 levels.

Abilities I put down because some classes won't cast "spells" as such, if you ever played WoW, think like the Warriors Rage bar or the Rogues energy bar. They work the same as spells, sorry for confusing anyone.

The RP itself sounds like a non-erotic version of Jumpers, which is awwwwwwwwwwwwrriiiight in my eyes.
Never looked at Jumpers, but as I said, erotic content is possible. It just isn't a main orientation of the game.

Also, Toxic, your character is approved.

And a suggestion for you Toxic, when you reach lv4, you may want to invest in some kind of martial art feat, to try and compensate for the low range of your gauntlet. More info will be supplied when you get there.

Last edited:

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

So humans start with quick to learn automatically? Meaning they get their second feat at level 4?

And yeah, what would determine getting to the enemy? That's dexterity right? I was thinking of besides damage things, having a feat that would temporarily increase dexterity as a whole, or at least only the chance of hitting an enemy, like some beserker rage.

And so ability is something character specific I can choose from the start, and there's no growth to that right? Like spells that mages know.