What's new

Scam Calling

Byzantine2014

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Been getting scam calls in mandarin+ really bad english about some embassy for a while, it's kinda funny. Better than the "Your computer is sending signals..." one. :cautious:

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score
A good suggestion for scam callers is, after they introduce themselves, take over the conversation and don't let them get a word in. Pretend you recognize the caller, ask them how their wife or GF is, ask about how well they recovered after a generic but believable accident like a broken arm or something, and just see how long you can keep them going. Ask them when they want to come over for a beer, it's been a while after all. And hey, we should totally go fishing again sometime, you two and maybe you'll ask (generic name) to join you too. Be sure to keep them involved, like on the fishing trip ask if you can borrow (caller's name here)'s dad's boat for it like last time. But then don't give them time to respond by shifting the conversation to the boat. Maybe it has a stain or something, maybe the engine died last time you were out. Be creative, but just keep talking
It will be so incredibly awkward for them that they'll not know what to do.
And if they try to get back to selling/scamming you, you can always ask them why they dropped out of (local school/uni here), and how they came to work in a callcenter

It's amusing once or twice, and after that you will never get sales calls again. I'm pretty sure they have a list of numbers that they avoid calling

GEMPAL00

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Once I got scam call about my dad got accident or my cousin got kidnapped. I wonder how did they could get their hands on personal info like that.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
This topic kind of feels like a scam call.

Zepheral

The Dark God Of Lesbians and Memes
Reputation score
Something about medicare and they want my social security number. The oddest thing is that I'm not 65 or over......

luciusma

Reputation score
I got some callings from unknown number. The area code was +886. I thought it was Japanese number. But after some searching I got that it was Taiwan. I used one service for it . I called to that number, but the user did not answer me.

Last edited:

Ninja_Named_Bob

Mystic Girl
Reputation score
Hilarious story...

So, I was living in Fort McMurray (hometown) over the summer and got a call that was supposedly CRA. They left an automated message claiming to be the CRA, that I needed to call back because it was an urgent matter. So, I call back, and immediately say to the guy, "you're not CRA." He hangs up. I call again, tell him he needs to stop the shit. He hangs up. I call a third time, call him a loser, etc and hang up. Btw, he was from India.

Are scammers from India the dumbest cunts around? Not even a racial thing, either. Even those Nigerian Princes had better consistency than these guys.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score
That sounds like you paid a load of cash to make several international calls just so you could call someone a loser
A very deserved thing to call him, but I wouldnt be sure if it's worth spending that for it

Yoshiiki

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
I will disagree, guys that spend their own time to bother scammers are doing good job. If a scammer is busy with someone who wants to fuck with them, they can't be scamming anyone else during that.
Since I do have more than one phone number, most of the crap I tend to get is on semi-public one... Which I tend to forget where I left it xP

Stuffie

TouchFluffyEars
Reputation score
I never had an actual scam call in my life. A few times I would pick up the phone and take the call from an unknown number, only for the other person to hang up immediately, but I guess that doesn't count as a scam call.
Nowadays, if I get a call from an unknown number and I'm not expecting a call from someone I don't know, I don't answer it.

GEMPAL00

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
I never had an actual scam call in my life. A few times I would pick up the phone and take the call from an unknown number, only for the other person to hang up immediately, but I guess that doesn't count as a scam call.
Nowadays, if I get a call from an unknown number and I'm not expecting a call from someone I don't know, I don't answer it.

That's pretty old video. Also I dont know if it's true or not that if you answered the scam call or sms, it can take your phone credit from you :(

Stuffie

TouchFluffyEars
Reputation score
That's pretty old video.
That's true. I didn't post it to prove any point though, it's just a little video that I remembered when reading "scam" to make you smile. ;) if you enjoyed it.

Also I dont know if it's true or not that if you answered the scam call or sms, it can take your phone credit from you :(
I heard something similiar, however I think nowadays, with monthly mobilephone payments and pretty much unlimited minutes or data for your phone, it's hard to imagine this is still working.

Last edited:

dudes_tractor_yeah

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
I began receiving scam calls after I opened my first bank account, aparently banks sell your info to call centers and shit. I would always take the piss at them or be mean, and once I closed my bank account the calls stoped. On the other hand 2 years ago my dad got scamed out of 1000 usd. I was at work and they told him I had been kidnapped. He was 73 at that time.

Byzantine2014

Tentacle God
Reputation score
I began receiving scam calls after I opened my first bank account, aparently banks sell your info to call centers and shit. I would always take the piss at them or be mean, and once I closed my bank account the calls stoped. On the other hand 2 years ago my dad got scamed out of 1000 usd. I was at work and they told him I had been kidnapped. He was 73 at that time.
Ehhhhh, they shouldn't legally be actually selling your info unless it was in your contract, and even then... Possible they had a breach in their security system and your phone number was collected from their database? Sounds annoying anyway :/