What's new

Security and Nyaa!

thetruesteven

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
I never used a Vpn or proxy for anything and torrented for years now, not only on nyaa. But recently ive heard lots of complaints and guys who piss themselves when they just hear torrents, saying that they got an letter from Company/Lawyer X. Am i right with the assumption that were kinda safe on nyaa since noone from japan cares about us and the regular h-smut we download? (assumed its only from japan)

Yoshiiki

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
Re: Security and Nyaa!

Seeders are more likely to get "contacted", as they are sharing and fall under hard fist of law.
P2P (like torrent) works in such way, that anyone downloading is also sharing at the same time.
Grabbing info on all people that were torrenting something? *snaps fingers*, like that and done, easy.
So yeah, if you want to feel safe - get vpn (though, in some cases it may just be cheaper to get those games at sale). Otherwise assume that you are not safe, not at all.

Technically, because in reality it's easier to go for bigger fish (top seeders and people making those torrents). From time to time Japanese devs will do a strike, take or try taking few major seeders, then wait and repeat.

Other, cheaper solution would be to just keep your drives encrypted, so in case of anything they can't do shit, which is checking your computer. Well, at least where I live, I don't need to provide password/key so they can't get into my files and can't prove shit. Depends on country, you have to dig on web and check yours.

Go on google, search "safe torrenting", learn something and decrease chance of getting caught. It's not that complicated and in most cases - faster and done in step-by-step guide.

And no, I don't support piracy. If you like something, support devs.
But I also don't like when people run around blindly doing something, so asking a question is a good start, getting proper knowledge on the matter is always better.

Last edited:

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

VPNs are a scam.

If you're really suspected of piracy, and they're going after you (which will be very rare), they'll just subpoena the VPN's records.

So essentially you're paying for a service that does nothing but slow down your DL speeds.

Also those letters that get sent out are a scam, if they haven't sent the police to your door they're not serious about pursuing charges against you.

Yoshiiki

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

VPNs are a scam.

If you're really suspected of piracy, and they're going after you (which will be very rare), they'll just subpoena the VPN's records.

So essentially you're paying for a service that does nothing but slow down your DL speeds.

Also those letters that get sent out are a scam, if they haven't sent the police to your door they're not serious about pursuing charges against you.
There are weak VPNs out there that don't do shit. Weird, huh?

Not exactly true, depending on VPN provider, they may not keep track of anything. Bah, depending on where they are, they may not even give a fuck and won't snitch their customers. If you are paying with cryptocurrency, then good luck proving you payed for anything.

Sorry, but depending on VPN this may be true, can also be bullshit. Yes, VPN will slow you down (how much, depends on provider), but there is a technical reason for that.

Again, not exactly true, depends on country.

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

VPNs are a scam.

The idea is that you get a VPN located in some place like Russia that doesn't really give a damn about piracy, so getting those records will be a pain in the ass.

noman

Lurker
Reputation score

Aye. Obviously don't get a VPN from the same country you are living in. Get one that's from a completely different continent if you can.

Secondly, get a seedbox. This way no torrent transfer actually occur on your internet connection.

OP
T

thetruesteven

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Thanks for all the answer, helped me a lot! I also like to support the devs, but cant afford anything atm, which is also why i cant get an atm. But i did read about "peerblock" which supposedly helped minimized the danger, anyone got experience with that?

noman

Lurker
Reputation score

Supposedly, there are some "fake" seeders that are set up by private firms that track the IP address of people using torrents. Peerblock block the known ones. However, I don't think it's effective because 1) you are playing a game of catchup as new seeding accounts can always be set up, and 2) they only need to catch you downloading once.

It's better than nothing, but that's like saying that applying a band aid on a gun shot wound. The band aid itself isn't going to save your life.

Start with storing your stuff in encrypted containers. You don't need to encrypt your entire HDD. Software like Veracrypt can create a virtual encrypted partition. It's free and only takes half an hour to set up.

Btw, don't bother with free VPNs. You should know by now that if you aren't paying for the product, than you are the product.

Last edited:

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

The idea is that you get a VPN located in some place like Russia that doesn't really give a damn about piracy, so getting those records will be a pain in the ass.
Enjoy that dl speed then <25Kbps lol. Shit even using a proxy based in germany makes the internet crawl like it's dial-up.

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

Enjoy that dl speed then <25Kbps lol. Shit even using a proxy based in germany makes the internet crawl like it's dial-up.
That's because you're using a shitty proxy.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

And here I thought it was because I was halfway across the world. Though since it's free I guess the tor network probably isn't the best.

Yoshiiki

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

And here I thought it was because I was halfway across the world. Though since it's free I guess the tor network probably isn't the best.
Some people will tell you that TOR has been compromised, others will say that it wasn't and specific servers were.
Some people will say it's slow as fuck (safer - slower, tbh).
If you don't know how to use it, how it works, Then it can be a so-so choice.

In the end all comes to this: More you know about the topic, safer/anonymous you can get.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

It's very seldom I feel the need to use a proxy anymore, save when some shitlord thinks an IP ban can stop me. So for me it's moot at this point anyway.

Yoshiiki

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

It's very seldom I feel the need to use a proxy anymore, save when some shitlord thinks an IP ban can stop me. So for me it's moot at this point anyway.
Well yeah, this thread was about safe torrenting, not safety in general, which would require quite a lot of information.
FB/google, dropping services/products from those two would be a good start, though, they (mostly google) already have your profile for 'marketing' purposes.
Shit, take a photo with your phone, send it to me and I will probably tell you where it was taken, with 5m error. Unless you convert it to format that doesn't store GPS coordinates or phone GPS is truly off.

But yeah, not the topic it was about, so I will stop here instead of making huge walltext about how easily it is to track someone (helps if you plan on stalking people :p)