What's new

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Re: The temp dogpiling discussion thread

No, that's not the answer. We don't drive people away, we encourage them to stop being so horrible, and when they refuse THAT'S when we drive them away :)

Byzantine2014

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Whoops, meant more posting in this thread in particular. And yea, there's no need to ban or drive Another out yet, pretty sure Freeko was way worse when he eventually was banned.

Yoshiiki

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

(...) pretty sure Freeko was way worse when he eventually was banned.
Story time?

Never mind, uncle google told me the story.

Last edited:

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Why the fluff am I tagged twice in this thread anyway.

My money is on 'Zeph got bored'

Zepheral

The Dark God Of Lesbians and Memes
Reputation score

Why the fluff am I tagged twice in this thread anyway.

My money is on 'Zeph got bored'

Last edited:

AnotherLurker

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Alright, I've received officially enough random negreps for this to actually catch my attention.

Linebreaks, why do you people treat them like the devil's asshole? Let's discuss this. I figure
since this thread was about "people randomly being an asshole to me" it was the best fit rather
than just making a new one, so here goes.

Here's a screenshot of one of my posts, one that specifically got negrepped, saying apparently
the linebreaks make it LESS easier to read. See for yourself.

Please, explain to me, in as short or long as you desire, how THIS, looks any worse than just
cramming all of the text into one long un-tended blob because I cannot for the life of me see
what you are all on about.

I do however, have a few vague guesses.. Firstly, whenever I change from maximized to
windowed size, yeah, my post deteriorates a bit, as the linebreaks mess up how it looks
since the size of the window can't properly support the size of the post. But I'd be lying if
I said that the mere thought of anyone actually trying to read ANY post in a shrunken window
didn't make me laugh until my sides hurt. So on the off-chance that is your quibble,
I'd feel relieved that my negreps were given for such a hilariously petty reason.

There's also the chance that maybe using a different browser or something also has a similar
effect, and my posts look deteriorated and strange when passed through the filter of a different
format of some kind. In which case, negrepping me is kind of futile, because I'm not going to
change the way I type for a small minority of fucks just because they use a different browser/OS than me..

And lastly, the most likely of the three, there actually IS nothing wrong with the way I type,
and there's just a small group of you who are, to put it lightly, gigantic fretting babies..

Then again there is a possibility that the mere visage of a post looking lengthy via
linebreaks somehow offends people, as they actually would rather read a blob of text rather
than something structured. If THIS is the case, congratulations, you have insecurity issues,
and I apologize in advance for inadvertently emasculating you with my large muscular posts.

So, let's clear this up. Tell me why my posts' structure burns some of you like battery acid, then maybe,
just maybe, if your explanation is actually reasonable and follows basic logic, I'll take it into
consideration. But if it falls under one of the three reasons above, well, you've already got your answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: XSI

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

Then again there is a possibility that the mere visage of a post looking lengthy via
linebreaks somehow offends people, as they actually would rather read a blob of text rather
than something structured. If THIS is the case, congratulations, you have insecurity issues,
and I apologize in advance for inadvertently emasculating you with my large muscular posts.
Random linebreaks do not make the post "more structured".

AnotherLurker

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

I just realized over half of the negreps regarding my linebreaks looked disturbingly similar to that post of yours..

... I definitely prefer not to side with anyone normally, but I think super_slicer was/is right about you.

Well, moving on, who else, (if it wasn't just spider the whole time), would like to offer a reason why my
linebreaks are so terrible?

Last edited:

Byzantine2014

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Not entirely sure what you mean, in the screenshot it looks more or less like a paragraph. On my own device, though, it appears as if you put three to four words every second line for some reason. It's still readable, just weird...

If you've gotten a large amount of flak for your line breaks, it's not a small minority that has a different formatting system. Communication is about trying to relate your points in a way others will understand, whether successful or not; kinda being lazy by going your way or the highway.

AnotherLurker

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

If you've gotten a large amount of flak for your line breaks, it's not a small minority that has a different formatting system.
That's what I thought at first, until I realized pretty much 60% of all the
negreps I received were literally from the same person, whom apparently
has far too much time on their hands, and not enough anger management skills..
So it most certainly is a small minority.

But, I do appreciate getting an actual solid answer to my inquiry. Could
you post a screenshot of how it looks for you? I honestly would like to see
it, just as a means of confirmation.

Last edited:

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

That's what I thought at first, until I realized pretty much 60% of all the
negreps I received were literally from the same person.. So it most
certainly is a small minority.

But, I do appreciate getting an actual solid answer to my inquiry. Could
you post a screenshot of how it looks for you? I honestly would like to see
it.
They aren't, actually. In fact, no single person has given you more than 2 negreps.

AnotherLurker

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Well, all the more reason for me to inquire about this, then. Though if you have access to looking at my reps you should see how similar they are to your posts.

What gets me though is, if you were seeing the same problem as Byz, why, instead of actually explaining it, did you think it would somehow magically
help to do the opposite and just make a vague whining post?

Surely if someone's doing something wrong it's more productive to tell them
how what they're doing is wrong instead of just barking at them. I understand
the threshold of "shut up and just do what I say", but that's reserved for parents,
travel/hunting guides, and figures of high authority.

Unless of course, you made your post like that simply because you actually just skimmed over it,
and only wanted to reply to a part of it that caught your eye.

But I hope not, because that would really be embarrassing.

Last edited:

Byzantine2014

Tentacle God
Reputation score

This is more or less how they look like for me:

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Who has a computer screen so thin
that THAT is where you choose to
do the line breaks? What is that, a
twitter feed? I get making your own,
but are you just doing it because
that's what fits into the reply box,
which is much smaller than the actual
post page? If you did maybe x1.5-x2
times the size in characters, it would
be much easier, because then it would
look like you're actually writing in
sectioned paragraphs, not writing a
poem.

*edit* It's really a question of negative
space, and your overusage of it. Line
breaks are fine but there should be more
space for text than non-text horizontally.

AnotherLurker

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

I attempt to write in sectioned paragraphs, yes. And also, yes, I attempt to
(just hit enter right here) compensate for the input box by hitting enter
(again) whenever I get to a new line, because if I don't, then the post comes
(again) out looking like a solid very long blob of text, like (some of) you will see below.

Clearly it's not most of your disdain for how I type, but instead, is merely the difference between how your computers/OS's/browsers/ect display how I type.
(Which just makes the reason for you neg-repping me over that much more incredibly petty)

But.. The thing is, I use notepad a lot for things, so it is a habit of mine to try and type in controlled paragraphs, because with notepad files, you get the reverse effect from just letting the text auto-wrap, where it looks like shit if the window ISN'T shrunk down to a certain size.

I suppose I can try to un-learn that habit for the sake of ceasing the trickling flow of negreps I receive for it, as well as possibly gaining a modicum of respect from those who've graced me with an actual explanation for this whole fiasco.

I do thank you for your cooperation.. Just be aware, this is me, changing the way I type, to specifically accommodate people whom view this site with some form of technology that changes the way they see posts to that which makes some posts (not all mine) look like shit.. Not that I expect any kind of genuine recognition for this, but hey a few reps wouldn't hurt to counterbalance the ones given thus far, just for the sake of pissing off those who neg-repped me for my clearly unintentional mistake.

Obviously a lesser man than me would take this opportunity to instead metaphorically flip you the bird while riding off in an obnoxiously loud motorcycle, but for all the pretentious preaching I do, I owe it to myself to follow at least some of the principles I constantly subtly attempt to enforce.

EDIT: Off-topic I know, but happy 666th post, Byz.. You've now reached the unholy number, say hello to the dark lord for me.

Last edited:

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I thought for a second that you said you use A notepad, as in the electronic, so I was like "Oh, well that answers my question on who has a computer screen so thin.."

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

HOLY SHIT, I WAS ABLE TO READ MOST OF HIS POST!!!

I still have an overall feeling of disdain towards it, but I got past 5 words :D

I'ma +rep you mothafucka, once the timer runs out.

Oh, and yeah there's some other person ;) that writes -reps exactly the way spider does.

Last edited:

AnotherLurker

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Don't confuse one's disdain for how one types, with a disdain for "what" one types.. I don't ever defend myself against those who hate on me for what I say, because that's not so much a dead end of an argument as it is a mobius strip.

You could spend 30 years training yourself to speak in the most inoffensive diplomatic peaceful way imaginable, and still manage to piss somebody off in a forum, that's just how forums work. There's no point in trying to be inoffensive, but taking the opposite approach and diving in dick-first only shows a lack of consideration on the other side of the spectrum as well.. You have to show that you care, while making it clear that you don't, at the same time.. It's a tricky balance. If you care too much, you're a target for trolls and you'll spend more time arguing with people than making any valid sticking points, if you care too little, people ignore you completely and consider you "just another piece of talking garbage on the internet", and your life will consist mostly of shit-posting.

I could go on about this, because I have a weird passion for explaining things, but I'll pass on it for now. Maybe I'll write a manual on forum etiquette sometime later today.

Last edited: