What's new

ULMF Minecraft Server (Address can be found on first post)

maikochan

User #69
Reputation score
You can connect to the server with the following address:
ulmf-minecraft.sytes.net

The server is running Tekkit 3.1.1

Last edited:

Quartz

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
Re: ULMF Minecraft Server

That could be fun.

I blame penny arcade and OAMP for reminding me about my halfbaked plans for various castles.

And always remember,

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Yeah, I havn't ventured on to MP yet, mostly because I don't want to wade through all the servers till I find a good one. I'd definitely try out one hosted with everyone from here.

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

God damn it.

I've been trying so hard not to fall for another game like this. But in a moment of idleness I downloaded it and started playing Minecraft. And now I can't stop. This game better only cost a few bucks.

That being said, game's awesome, can't wait to play with you guys.

SilentSilth

Lurker
Former Moderator
Reputation score

Can we mod tentacle monsters in?

Cause I'd definitely play then.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

It's pretty cheep, 10 bucks when I bought it, but I just made the pre-order price, its 20 bucks now I think, now that it is out of alpha. It is still getting updates and stuff though.

Also, textures are easily modded, but we can't make an actual new monster.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

I've been wanting to have my own server for a while now, but simply lack the hardware to do so. So this sounds great. I'd recommend setting it up using a white list, so that we don't get the feral hordes of the internets descending upon it.

In the limited exploring of SMP mode I've done so far, I've been getting a bit fed up of finding either, horribly chaotic landscapes littered with the some of the worst architecture and design sense the world has seen, or incredible sprawling mod packed metropolises which are too overwhelming to feel its worth building anything in.

If possible, I'd love to be there when we first start off.

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Put me in the mines. I want the treasure.

Good thing I learned about pitfalls in single player though. I was just pickaxing like crazy through my ever expanding mines, before I suddenly fell into a steep drop.

OP
maikochan

maikochan

User #69
Reputation score

Well, at least initially, I plan on having it be a private server, so that only people who know the address can join. The Minecraft forums are down right now, but once they're back up, I'm going to do some research and figure out the best way to do this and what kind of machine would work best. I don't have any gear yet for this project, but I do have the means to get a machine going. Still, you seem to have a bit more knowledge than me Squid, think you could help me out with the software side of things? (For example, what's a white list? I assume it's something of a reverse ban list, allowing only those on it access, but I'm not sure.)

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Ironic alot of replies right now. Was just leaving my mine for daybreak when i find a creeper on the ladder out (was about 2 mins away from enclosing the entrance). Basements gone, nearly got my crates, but they were saved, fortunately.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Hmm, did I make it sound like I know what I'm talking about? Oh, my bad. I'm afraid that I really don't know a thing about running a server. A white list is exactly as you guessed. I merely know about them because I've tried getting into servers myself to be given a message telling me that I'm not on the white list.

Though that doesn't mean I can't try to figure it out along side. I'd be happy to help where I can at least.

Simply having it private would probably do the job actually, and would prevent you having to spend time gathering peoples minecraft user names and building a list. Though in the case our respectable collection of lurkers ever happened to start getting ambitious or even sharing the address away from home, a white list is always an option.

Guyver2216

Lurker
Reputation score

what is minecraft? link to something to read on it please?

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Hmm...

In short. An indie game featuring 3D randomly generated infinite maps, made up of a wide variety of various blocks and entities. Players can in first person dig and tear up the landscape however they please, carry it around, relocate it, shape it into buildings, craft it into tools, to dig up better resources, to make better tools, etc. Monsters can spawn in any dark location, this meaning cave systems and upon nightfall. Shelter, light sources, weapons armour and food for healing are all helpful in not dying. The creator, going by the name of notch has been allowing players to take part in a non stop alpha test, with updates being incorporated into the game as they come.

The obligatory wiki. Not always the best intro, but information is there if dug for.

Here's the official site, though as you'll quickly notice it is in a temporary state at the moment since the websites servers have been overloaded. Though this is infact actually an excellent chance for you to try the game for free. The game still runs, and the downloadable client can be currently downloaded without requiring a paid registration until the problem is fixed. (I believe after then you will be needing to buy to receive any updates, but the offline mode would still work in it's current version. Not sure about all this, since I've paid for it anyway.)

Here's a link to an Australian TV show talking about it. (Note this is actually quite a big thing for it considering it's an indie game that's not even finished.)

Edit: Extra note. Not an MMO. Don't mistake this for another Runescape or the like. No grinding or leveling up to be seen here.

Last edited:
OP
maikochan

maikochan

User #69
Reputation score

Can't do much better than Squid's description. It does have a multiplayer mode though, so you can build things with other people. You can dig mines, lay tracks to transport ore back to your house, and build bigger things, but I've begun thinking that working with other people would be far more rewarding. Especially since not everyone likes digging around in the mines, while some would rather explore than build castles in the sky. With multiple people, this will create something of a specialized labour force, with explorers getting materials and bringing them back for the builders to use, and then the builders can turn the ore into usable things, like minecarts and tools so that the explorers can roam further.

Personally, that's my dream of a perfect Minecraft community. We'll see how well that gets realized.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Yup, all that too. Should be good. RJ has already expressed an interest in working in our coal mines. ;)

I love planning big projects myself, but never have the resources to see them go far beyond a floor plan.

Though now I think about it, even with Notch allowing the game out free for a week or so, I'm not sure it's possible to play the game without having made a basic account before the server crash. Again, I'm not quite sure how this "free period" going at the moment works. Raptor, since you seem to have not bought it yet, how have you been playing it recently? Anything to do with this server crash or have you just grabbed one of the pirate releases?

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I'm playing the legit, free version. And if I'm going to be playing with you guys, I'll buy the overpriced crap instead of just pirating it for single player's purposes.

Also, tally-ho! I'm all for working together on making our own civilization. But if things get kinda silly, I might 'desert' the colony in favor of something more interesting. Because right now, I've got my own Harvest Moon thing going on. I really get in depth with my sandbox games. I'll gladly work together as a team, take orders from whoever's da bossman, but a lack of cooperative play is a turn off for me in games like this.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

There are still creative mode servers, I think. That's pretty dated now, though.

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

CREATIVE MODE!? Bah, I like the nighttime scare. Adds excitement to my game.

Just happily tending my fields, shearing sheep, or hunting piggies, I suddenly notice that the sun is setting. "Oh shit!" I think to myself, quickly making a mad dash for my underground home, desperately looking for the torches I set up as waypoints to show my the fastest way to safety. Arriving just as the zombies and spiders emerge, I sigh with relief as I arrive in one piece. Then, I proceed to work on my mine, digging ever deeper into the planet's core, occasionally peaking at the upper level, to see if the sun has risen.

OP
maikochan

maikochan

User #69
Reputation score

It was the whole crafting bit that made me switch from creative to alpha. I'm never going back.