What's new

Useful tools to play H Games

Minuit

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score
.: Useful tools to play H games :.

I've been playing H games since a very long time and been collecting all sort of software along the way. So, I'm making this thread to summarize the best tools that I've been using/testing to play H games.
I won't talk about decrypter and anything related to game making.

.: Translators :.

Name: Translator Aggregator (Currently using for making partials)
Description: Translator that let you use as many website's translation as you want/need. Useful for making game's translation.
Tutorial: In the link below.
Download: Link
Preview:

Name: Visual Novel Reader (VNR)
Description: Translator with more customization than Translator Aggregator. You can check all the information on the wiki in the link just bellow.
Download:
Preview:

Name: RPGMakerMVGame patcher by Libellule
Description: Script that hook RPG Maker MV's text and copy it to clipboard (so translators can grab it). More info here.
Download:
Preview:

.: AppLocal :.

Name: Locale Emulator
Description: Let you change the local of one software/game. Though Jap locale is always the easiest way, people. Seriously.
Download:
Preview:

.: Ease of use :.

Name: bct.sizer from 1baka
Description: Let you resize RPG Maker XP, VX, VX Ace and Wolf RPG windows. And it keep the aspect ratio. *wink* (One problem: you can't hook games with this method)
Download:
Preview:

Name: Sizer
Description: Let you resize windows with a predefined resolution. More info in the link.
Download:
Preview:

Name: WindowWatcher
Description: Software that let you magnify a process/part of the screen in its own window. Useful for RPG Maker XP's games which can't get resized (and any other un-resizable games).
Download:
Preview:

.: Cheats :.

Name: Cheat Engine
Description: Tool that help modifying games (as the HP value among others). More info and tutorials in the link.
Download:
Script: Script, for RPG Maker XP, VX and VX Ace, to search the normal value instead of *2+1 method.
Preview:

Name: RPG Maker MV Cheat Menu Plugin by emerald
Description: Cheat plugin for RPG Maker MV which add a in-game menu with multiple options. But that's not a reason to cheat too much, I'm watching you. Gotta enjoy the game, too. More info in the link.
Download: http://www.ulmf.org/bbs/showthread.php?t=28982&highlight=Cheat_Menu
Preview:

.: Misc :.

Name: ShareX (used in this thread)
Description: Powerful software that offer multiple tools to make screenshots (even videos, gifs, etc...). It support shortcuts, multiple hosts (even custom ones), scripts and a lot more. Did I say it was Open Source, too ? *wink*
Download:
Preview:

-- End --

PS: If you have any software that deserve its place here, let me know. But only if it's better than anything listed above.

Last edited:

AltairPL

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
Re: Useful tools to play H Games

Nice list... my personal weapon of choice when it comes to window resizing is app named Sizer - it's a bit tricky to set up, but once you get past it, you can use size presets for any game you want (doesn't work with RMXP, but that's not its fault).

ULMF thread - not dedicated to Sizer, but it has some tips on how to get it up and running.

OP
Minuit

Minuit

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Nice list... my personal weapon of choice when it comes to window resizing is app named Sizer - it's a bit tricky to set up, but once you get past it, you can use size presets for any game you want (doesn't work with RMXP, but that's not its fault).

ULMF thread - not dedicated to Sizer, but it has some tips on how to get it up and running.
Oh my, now that looks interesting ! I'll give it a try later and add it to the thread. I was searching for something to keep the aspect ratio and this one is really close to it. :D

As for RPG Maker XP... yeah. Only option I've found is that windowWatcher.

Kyrieru

Sensei
Reputation score

I have to use borderless window software since my videocard has problems with fullscreen.

Cheat engine also comes in handy for just about everything since it allows you to speed up or slow down games with hotkeys. I rarely play rpgmaker games at 100% speed.

OP
Minuit

Minuit

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Added Sizer and Cheat Engine (wasn't sure about this one but I've added a Cheats category so, it has its place now. And I've added a script for RPG Maker's games :eek:).

I'll try borderless window tomorrow.

Yoshiiki

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Overall this is a nice idea to place everything in one post. Would be nice to have it as a sticky.
As I don't have anything other to add right now (and extractors/decrypters don't count) I will just keep this in mind. Just so if I stumble across anything I will leave it here :D

Oh right, there is one small thing. Debug console for Ren'PY, so anyone can change stuff like: money = 500 (though it depends on a game itself).
"shift + o" to open it.
More of a cheat and may be far from "tool" as it's already integrated into Ren'Py >_>

Zeemu

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Shameless self-plug for rpg mv games: ulmf.org/bbs/showthread.php?t=29375

More features and easier to patch than the other one.

x421

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Pretty useful list, thanks!
Vote for sticky?

AltairPL

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

(...)
I'm still searching for a tool to keep the Aspect Ratio of windows when resizing. I know MacOS offers this but haven't found anything on Windows so far...
I'm kinda puzzled by this statement of yours. The only huge issue (for me) with WindowWatcher is that it requires Aero, but I've played a bit with it today and it seems to be one of the best choices (if not the best) - not only it's preserving aspect ratio, but also produces a lot better image quality for VX/VXA games. Haven't noticed any slowdows as well, so is there any reason in particular it's not your first pick?

156_163_146_167

Demon Girl
Reputation score

For using Cheat Engine in RPG maker games you can add another value type to make things easier. That way you don't have to do any calculations yourself. Here is how to do that: forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?p=5456447#5456447

For flash games you would often have to do some similar calculations, so therefore I also use a custom type. Link: forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?p=5178756#5178756

OP
Minuit

Minuit

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

I'm kinda puzzled by this statement of yours. The only huge issue (for me) with WindowWatcher is that it requires Aero, but I've played a bit with it today and it seems to be one of the best choices (if not the best) - not only it's preserving aspect ratio, but also produces a lot better image quality for VX/VXA games. Haven't noticed any slowdows as well, so is there any reason in particular it's not your first pick?
WindowWatcher work really great but my problem is: it magnify the game and so, the image become blurry. Resizing a game with Sizer/ResizeEnable keep the sharpness of the game (as well as built-in size script).

Now, It's that I personally don't like blurriness. :p

Doombell

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

One of my frequent programs is .
Mostly for looking up kanji visually when you can't hook the text, but it's also good just for note taking and dictionary searches, especially if you don't want to go through the hassle of setting up more input settings for your keyboard.
(The default method Windows uses means you end up switching languages a bunch without meaning to when playing games or using keyboard shortcuts using many modifier keys, and the alternate ones aren't all that practical either.)

Last edited:

AltairPL

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

WindowWatcher work really great but my problem is: it magnify the game and so, the image become blurry. Resizing a game with Sizer/ResizeEnable keep the sharpness of the game (as well as built-in size script).

Now, It's that I personally don't like blurriness. :p
This blurriness is in fact what I called "a lot better image quality" in my post... to each their own, huh? ;)

One of my frequent programs is .
(...)
+1

zipetya

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

Well, if Applocale was mentioned, so should be and . If you are going down the I-dontwanna-change-system-locale to Japanese road, anyways. Though Jap locale is always the easiest way, people. Seriously.
(cursing myself for recently switching up to 8.1 and trying to stay away from Jap locale - so much more hassle lol - would need to make some Japanese encoded .zip files correctly unzip too)

Anywhose, where hooking fails peeps might be looking for OCRs, where I guess the previously mentioned JWPCE may come in (haven't seen it before, maybe will look at what it's all about later), but also there is , and ABBYY Screenshot Reader, that I know of and could be useful.

(@AltairPL - switching up from Win 7 to 8.1 changed the default window borders -non-Aero- to 6H x 29W from 6H x 28W... Just saying. Maybe you will get a chuckle out of it too. lol)

AltairPL

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

@Legrandxav
This made my freaking day :D.

@zipetya
JWPCE is just a dictionary... more useful for translators than gamers now, but it was a great tool for everyone when Japanese OCR software wasn't around and machine translators sucked even more that they suck now... damn, I feel old.
Anyway, great suggestions (NLL's Applocale as well).
As for frame size - sounds like the same values UnLuckyCat had to use in other thread.

Hoboy

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

AFTER LeGrandxav's wonderfully useful tool :D may I suggest Froggus' thread for MV tools? Thread

1baka

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

i did a resizer program to work with xp,vx,vx ace,wolf.
but its stalled for now, as im doing something else (always doing something)

but i did make a release, so i could post it and let you try it out.
i intend to revise it using another method (talked with AltairPL about it), but that will happen after im done with my other project. the new method should fix some of the "odd behavior" this program have that occurs for some games.

bct.sizer: