What's new

VN/TEXT [VALKYRIA] グリムリーパー!-刈魔執行乙女隊- / Grim ReapeR! -Karma Executioneress- (RJ218956)

DatBoi

Reputation score
DLsite:
Its a visualnovel-type game by VALKYRIE / from February 2018

got it here:

Its just the Installer. Problem is, in my localisation, its a bunch of random text instead of Kanji which i expected. i could finish the Install easily, but the programm just stops working and ends itself without installing.
I tried the same with japanese localisation and it did the same thing.
Anybody know a fix for that issue, i think i had it with other VN games before, or maybe you have a link for the full game.
If I should remove the download-link or if there is a thread for something like this, or this game, you can tell me so i can archive the thread if necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:

zipetya

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
DLsite:
Its a visualnovel-type game by VALKYRIE / from February 2018

got it here:

Its just the Installer. Problem is, in my localisation, its a bunch of random text instead of Kanji which i expected. i could finish the Install easily, but the programm just stops working and ends itself without installing.
I tried the same with japanese localisation and it did the same thing.
Anybody know a fix for that issue, i think i had it with other VN games before, or maybe you have a link for the full game.
If I should remove the download-link or if there is a thread for something like this, or this game, you can tell me so i can archive the thread if necessary.
Out of sheer curiosity, by "japanese localisation" you mean setting your location to Japan, under the regional settings in your control panel, right?

djweish

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
Were you in Japanese locale when you unpacked the rar?

Bryanis

Reputation score
Considering the format from valkyria, unless they changed things recently, there shouldn't be a problem unpacking in non japanese (I've done it on multiple work of them and played them with LE afterward).

You might want to force admin mode when starting the install exe. And if you're seeing random text instead of jap even in japanese local, then you're not completely into japanese local setting as the game require. So you may also want to try using an emulator for testing.

OP
D

DatBoi

Reputation score
Out of sheer curiosity, by "japanese localisation" you mean setting your location to Japan, under the regional settings in your control panel, right?
yeah setting my system local to japanese (which needs a system restart)

Were you in Japanese locale when you unpacked the rar?
I tried it both in German local and japanese local. it unpacks in both cases, problem is that in japanese local if i start the installer and click whats supposed to be the install button the programm closes and thats it. in german localisation i get to defining the install path (tried a short one directly on the hdd, and a longer one on my desktop) but after defining the path and starting the install it then just closes and appart from a "VALKYRIA" folder that is empty nothing happens.

zipetya

Reputation score
Well, I am still not totally convinced... lol
For future reference, what you are looking for (and are probably talking about) is system locale as in "the language (system locale) to use when displaying text in programs that do not support Unicode", and is under the 'Administrative' tab in the Region settings.
A lot more time than you would think, people think they changed system locale but really only had changed their 'location'... Which leads to errors with HRPGs, understandably. But since you mentioned a needed system restart... I guess you really switched locales. Though in Japanese locale, the kanji should be showing and the install app definitely shouldn't be the same.

Aaaanyhow, I didn't have the time or the motivation to get the game from the mexashare links for trial and error, so I just looked for the game on the cat torrent site (nyaa), and sure enough there is a torrent there, seeded. And, as far as I can tell, it's the full package - no install needed.
You will need Japanese locale to run it without errors, though... ;)

OP
D

DatBoi

Reputation score
Well, I am still not totally convinced... lol
For future reference, what you are looking for (and are probably talking about) is system locale as in "the language (system locale) to use when displaying text in programs that do not support Unicode", and is under the 'Administrative' tab in the Region settings.
A lot more time than you would think, people think they changed system locale but really only had changed their 'location'... Which leads to errors with HRPGs, understandably. But since you mentioned a needed system restart... I guess you really switched locales. Though in Japanese locale, the kanji should be showing and the install app definitely shouldn't be the same.

Aaaanyhow, I didn't have the time or the motivation to get the game from the mexashare links for trial and error, so I just looked for the game on the cat torrent site (nyaa), and sure enough there is a torrent there, seeded. And, as far as I can tell, it's the full package - no install needed.
You will need Japanese locale to run it without errors, though... ;)
I think its a misunderstanding here. if i change my system locale to Japanese i get the kanji in the installer and i can see the fitting japanese text. but i still have the problem that the installer closes and does basically nothing, heres also a screen of what im changing, its in german though.
Unbenannt.png

djweish

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
Maybe the installer doesn't like umlauts and so on in the filepath - have you checked for that? There are some games that also need you to switch time & date format to Japanese as well as the locale, which is a separate option.
But yeah, probably easiest to just download the torrent, if it comes pre-installed.

OP
D

DatBoi

Reputation score
Maybe the installer doesn't like umlauts and so on in the filepath - have you checked for that? There are some games that also need you to switch time & date format to Japanese as well as the locale, which is a separate option.
But yeah, probably easiest to just download the torrent, if it comes pre-installed.
i tried extracting it and installing it simply in C:/New Folder/, which did nothing.
Ill try changing the time to jap aswell.
regarding torrents i have to admit that i dont like using torrents, even though i download a lot of shit through shady looking partial-downloads. but i dont want to use torrents cause i dont have any experience, its a personal preference.

zipetya

Reputation score
Yup, that's the system locale all right.

So basically it just closes without any error pop-ups after you click on install, while in Japanese locale... Tough.
Just a thought, but do you have the Japanese language pack installed? May help. (though I have almost absolutely no knowledge regarding Win10, so just spitballing here...)
Try installing with Locale Emulator. If that won't work either, then it's probably a Win10 problem and means you are out of luck - for now...

The torrent will be there, should you change your mind! Or maybe try the other dude on anime-sharing with the game uploaded through direct downloads - maybe those have the pre-installed game. Though I'm doubtful...

OP
D

DatBoi

Reputation score
Ok i tried everything i could, every combination of things, it doesnt work. I'll maybe look for a torrent or else Fuck this game. i guess its some win10 stuff. do i have to close this thread, how do i close a thread btw ?!

nope.spawn

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Ok i tried everything i could, every combination of things, it doesnt work. I'll maybe look for a torrent or else Fuck this game. i guess its some win10 stuff. do i have to close this thread, how do i close a thread btw ?!
Threads don't have to be closed since they're primarily meant for discussion. The only time a thread gets "closed" is when the mods delete or lock them either because of a broken rule or sheer toxicity of the discussion.

djweish

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
There are some games that can detect they're not in a Japanese version of Windows or whatever, and refuse to run; like this one: https://ulmf.org/threads/blue-guardian-margaret.8182/page-2
For that, you ended up having to make sure:
"- Date/time display settings to japanese
- Language support for japanese added but not set to default language (adds japanese IME to keyboard input modes)
- Keyboard set to japanese IME
- Japanese non-unicode settings "

So, three things to switch to Japanese - the locale, the date & time settings and the keyboard etc. language options.

Bryanis

Reputation score
Normally, it's not a win 10 problem (well, it may be a problem teeming from win 10), but according to the game's page, it's made to work with win 7, 8 and 10.

OP
D

DatBoi

Reputation score
There are some games that can detect they're not in a Japanese version of Windows or whatever, and refuse to run; like this one: https://ulmf.org/threads/blue-guardian-margaret.8182/page-2
For that, you ended up having to make sure:
"- Date/time display settings to japanese
- Language support for japanese added but not set to default language (adds japanese IME to keyboard input modes)
- Keyboard set to japanese IME
- Japanese non-unicode settings "

So, three things to switch to Japanese - the locale, the date & time settings and the keyboard etc. language options.
I have tried setting the locale to japanese with the date to japanese. i have the japanese language pach installed aswell.

Harleyquin13

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Last throw of the dice: Set region to Japan. That's one feature I've set to default over the years because there's always the odd game that checks to see if the PC is indeed in Japan.

If it doesn't work, then I don't know what will. No game from Windows 7 onwards has failed to run on my Win10 PC. The only time I had an issue was during a recent Windows Update which screwed the language packs and forced me to play with a completely Japanese OS until the problem sorted itself out.

zipetya

Reputation score
Well, I bit the bullet and gave those mexashare links the time and bandwidth. Such a nice guy, I know... lol

Anyhow, this will probably not make your day any happier... I've managed to install the game without hiccups. In non-Japanese locale, the date, format, region not set to Japan(ese), only using Locale Emulator. On Win8.1, though...

1.png 2.png 3.png 4.png 5.png

So it's probably what Harleyquin13 above said. The Win10 update, maybe?

Guess that only leaves the torrent... :unsure:

OP
D

DatBoi

Reputation score
Well, I bit the bullet and gave those mexashare links the time and bandwidth. Such a nice guy, I know... lol

Anyhow, this will probably not make your day any happier... I've managed to install the game without hiccups. In non-Japanese locale, the date, format, region not set to Japan(ese), only using Locale Emulator. On Win8.1, though...

View attachment 16373View attachment 16374View attachment 16378View attachment 16376

So it's probably what Harleyquin13 above said. The Win10 update, maybe?

Guess that only leaves the torrent... :unsure:
I can try a different Jap language pack, you said you dont use Jap locale and you have full Kanji, for me its just random letters and symbols in non-jap locale even though i have some jap language pack installed for my german locale. installing in jap locale gives me kanji but the programm closes itself after pressing the very first button of the programm
View attachment 16377

I dont know how different language packs are between OSs but which packs do you have for jap language ?

/nvm theres only one Jap language pack to get for win 10 as far as i see. ill experiment some more

Last edited:

Harleyquin13

Tentacle God
Reputation score
You could uninstall and reinstall the language pack via applications.

Windows 10 Home doesn't allow OS language changes, so if you can't repair the language pack then you're stuck short of a complete reformat of your system and reinstalling the JP language pack from scratch.

zipetya

Reputation score
I'm not 100% sure about this from what you wrote, so gonna ask; have you tried with Locale Emulator? It's actually a software -can grab it from - that...does what its name suggests, I suppose... And you can make the program (or the installer in this instance) think it's getting run/intalled under a certain locale setting (in our case, Japanese). Though it cannot conceivably make your system locale any more Japanese than actually switching it, so... Still, give it a try, if you haven't already.

The other last-last-last thing that comes to mind, and haven't seen being mentioned: maybe try running the installer with the antivirus software turned off? It's a long shot, but hey, maybe, just maaaybe...

Or. You know...
Torrent. xD