[WIP - Full] Virgin's Protection Magic Translation (v 0.82 released 23/07/2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

A thread here about the VPM translation. I'll update it when a new version of the patch is released.

Screenshots (slightly out of date)

Game thread on ULMF
Patch Download:

This is an RPGMaker Trans patch. It's what let's me translate and keep my sanity. Also as Searothonc, the games author, graciously permitted this translation effort in this format, I'm inclined not to annoy him.

Current version: 0.82 Translates everything up until the end of Act 4, including all H-scenes in Wiccaholt, Alchester and Frisbee. Also translates all maps, and about 18% of the remaining H-scenes, but no story content after Act 5.

EDIT: As I've been asked about this: This patch works on all versions of Virgin's Protection Magic, including the new release. There will be a handful of untranslated bits and bobs, but nothing major.
EDIT: Announcement on how I'm doing the final stretch of the patch is here: http://www.ulmf.org/bbs/showpost.php...&postcount=411; TLDR: I'm aiming to finish by the 20th of November
EDIT: 20th November target seems unlikely at this stage due to some complications (real life stuff I won't go into here). New target is between 14th and 21st December.
EDIT: See this post for details, new target release date of Christmas.
EDIT: Missing the Christmas target due to illness (better now, but gawd-damnit, these last few days it feels like everything's been getting in the way of me finishing this translation!). Release will be in a few days, I think.

Last edited:

SFrame

Sex Demon
Reputation score
Re: Virgin's Protection Magic Translation

Hohhh, sore ga nakanaka no patch :eek:...

I put the game on hold a couple months back; I'm really glad to find that it's got a hefty partial translation - but moreso to see a Japanese dev who doesn't mind western translators! I do very much approved of what the translation effort stands for; though from first sight the translation was a little bothersome for some people to apply, I decided to take a crack at it.

The translations are fantastically done - beautiful, even... albeit the patcher was indeed quite a handful - I can see why it might be considered suspicious by some :p. But it works - and it's a step in the right direction to getting Japanese devs to trust westerners enough to do business with us.

For some, the patcher is very straightforward and works almost as easy as the typical manual partial patches we usually see here - just following the Instructions on the translation blog is good enough. For others like me, it took some trial and error to troubleshoot the patcher a little. The the latter folks having issues, lemme share some helpful information that the main blog post doesn't seem to address at this time (or maybe I'm blind), along with a picture or two:

#1. You do need internet connection while applying the patch. It'll fail somewhere down the line if you block its processes with firewall; it'll also fail if you allow permissions with firewall but physically disconnect your computer from the internet. Suspicious, yes, as I don't understand why the patcher needs internet access (guessing it lacks certain resources) but it's unfortunately necessary. Go ahead and block the processes after the patcher's done if you want though - it won't impact the final patched/translated game.

#2. If you've already ran the patcher several times (as I did, from failing continuously), you might find that the patcher's progress bar keeps stopping/freezes before hitting 98% and/or the patcher sends you a bunch of error pop-ups. For me, it would do this anywhere from around 56% to 76%; the patcher's error log was also saying "WARNING: Ruby with nonzero exit code 1". I found that after failing so many times and having to terminate the patcher, I had a few instances of "RPGMakerTrans.exe" and/or "rubyw.exe" still running even after exiting the patcher. Ending/terminating those hung processes enabled my next run of the patcher to successfully patch the game.

#3. Now this is already mentioned in the blog, but I'll restate it as well: if the patcher progress bar stops at 99% but says "Finished", the game should be successfully patched and you can open the translated version of the game (which will be in a new folder, parallel to the original game's folder, ending in "WHATEVERTHEGAMEFOLDERWASCALLED_translated"). But if the patcher says it's "Finished" but progress bar is less than 99%, it's failed.

- This picture should sum up the above 3 issues, numbers referencing each of their respective paragraphs from the above.

Other info:

- If the patcher won't even start up (or if it can't find the game or patch files despite you pointing to them) and gives you an error pop-up, it might be because the game/patcher/patch files are in a folder with non-latin characters in its name (likely Japanese, for example). Change the folder name(s) to something in English (to "VPM", for example).

- I used v4.3 of RPGMakerTrans, with the v3 patch, on the Full Retail version of the game.

- When you boot up the translated version of the game (again, it's in its own, separate folder), if you see scrawl read across the screen in glorious English, you can say you've succeeded in patching the game.

Hope this helps anybody that had problems patching. Thanks for the superb translations, Habisain; hope to you find time to continue the translations. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

#1. You do need internet connection while applying the patch.
That's weird. It does use the Internet to check for updates (specifically it downloads ), but that should fail gracefully if it can't and just put a note on the error log. I'll take a look at this when I get a chance.

Blocking it with a firewall is a different thing, mind. RPGMaker Trans makes heavy use of sockets to communicate with Ruby processes, and some firewalls will regulate local connections.

SFrame

Sex Demon
Reputation score

That's weird. It does use the Internet to check for updates (specifically it downloads ), but that should fail gracefully if it can't and just put a note on the error log. I'll take a look at this when I get a chance.

Blocking it with a firewall is a different thing, mind. RPGMaker Trans makes heavy use of sockets to communicate with Ruby processes, and some firewalls will regulate local connections.
Aye - I suspected as much, as Comodo firewall has given me issues before with other programs. That's why I tested to see if it was just my firewall being overprotective by allowing RPGMakerTrans all permissions, but just physically pulled out the ethernet from my computer, heheh. As long as it had firewall permissions and internet connectivity, it'd progress through to at least ~50%; this is how I came to the conclusion that internet was necessary.

Other than the few rough spots, I really love your patcher program. If I can do anything to help test, don't hesitate to let me know via PM.

Cheddy413

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Is this a complete/finished translation? :eek:

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Is this a complete/finished translation? :eek:
Not yet it isn't. Currently it's most of Prologue/Act 1/Act 2, and everything you'd expect for a partial. An extension to Act 3 should be released in the very near future (I'm targeting New Year, but might miss this by a little bit due to there being more to translate than I thought)

Cheddy413

Demon Girl
Reputation score

How are things coming along? Done all the translated content so far.. and I'm pretty bad at being patient.. haha

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

How are things coming along? Done all the translated content so far.. and I'm pretty bad at being patient.. haha
I've been tied up with stuff on RPGMaker Trans (trying to get information I need for this patch out of it) and real life work. I'm hoping for the next version to be sometime next week, but I've missed enough hopeful deadlines for this to be a next to worthless statement.

Cheddy413

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Keep up the good work! Really grateful for all the translations... I find games alot more enjoyable when I can actually understand what's going on ;)

lttesch

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Your efforts are extremely appreciated.

Sayathing11

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Take your time, dont stress yourself, and dont forget to go outside and have a life lol.

We can wait

Thanks for the effort :)

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Thanks for all the encouragement people. In case people haven't noticed, I have been covertly updating the progress meters as I get things checked off.

Current status is as follows:

1) Common events has a lot of strings left in it, but most of them are for later chapters and so may not block release.
2) Tools are nearly done, should be ready tonight - these are so that I can extract the actual line length limits, because it's really not trivial to do for this game.
3) Editting is going to take a while, I think.
4) The Briefings file (i.e. what's said when you use the Familiar command) is translated up to the end of Act 4. I'd like to get this one fully translated for the patch, as it'll give you at least an idea of what to do later on.
5) I'd also like to do some of the optional H-events, but these are low-priority. Mainly if I have time this week I'll do them, and if I don't I won't.

Estimated release date for next patch? Done when it's done. I've given up trying to estimate it now.

nobunaga1910

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Thanks for all the encouragement people. In case people haven't noticed, I have been covertly updating the progress meters as I get things checked off.

Current status is as follows:

1) Common events has a lot of strings left in it, but most of them are for later chapters and so may not block release.
2) Tools are nearly done, should be ready tonight - these are so that I can extract the actual line length limits, because it's really not trivial to do for this game.
3) Editting is going to take a while, I think.
4) The Briefings file (i.e. what's said when you use the Familiar command) is translated up to the end of Act 4. I'd like to get this one fully translated for the patch, as it'll give you at least an idea of what to do later on.
5) I'd also like to do some of the optional H-events, but these are low-priority. Mainly if I have time this week I'll do them, and if I don't I won't.

Estimated release date for next patch? Done when it's done. I've given up trying to estimate it now.
Looking forward for your translation. keep up the good work man.

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I figure it's time for an actual progress update here - I've made one over at the , but a summary here is probably a good idea as well.

1. All the work on tools etc is done, so I'm currently editing the patch
2. There's a handful of outstanding translations, but nothing too much
3. I'm also going to finish translating a handful of H-events that I started

In summary, I'm closing in on the Act 3 release. I'm targeting beginning of March for it, but as always, take my targets with a pinch of salt.

Also considering migrating the patch site from a Blogspot blog to a Tumblr, because Blogspot is... kinda dead or dying. And that click through is annoying.

Mordhem

Reputation score

Nice to see this game getting translated. :D

Looks really good from the small bit I've seen.

Edit: Nvm found the answer to my problem.

Anyway, great work with the translation and good luck with the rest! ;)

Last edited:
OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

An update for people who were excited because I said I'd release something last weekend and are now disappointed because I didn't.

Basically, I upgraded my patch checker to make sure I wasn't missing any strings in Act 3. Turns out I was, and so before I can release this I have to translate about 250 more lines of dialogue. This shouldn't take too long, so keep your eyes peeled.

Last edited:

rtkamb

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Thanks for the translation!

rizo

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

An update for people who were excited because I said I'd release something last weekend and are now disappointed because I didn't.

Basically, I upgraded my patch checker to make sure I wasn't missing any strings in Act 3. Turns out I was, and so before I can release this I have to translate about 250 more lines of dialogue. This shouldn't take too long, so keep your eyes peeled.
I was one of those people, kept coming back from time to time to see if you uploaded during the weekend but you hadn't. Glad you let us know what's happening though. I look forward to the next update. Hope i can get back into it soon, sucked when i was playing and japanese randomly appeared lol.
Keep up the great work though, it's appreciated.

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

And an update, a long last. v0.51 of the patch has been released; grab it from my sig or the first post. This is the "translates everything but non-story H-scenes up until the end of Act 3" release.

I'll be trying to speed things up going forward; the last weeks delay was due to me transferring everything onto a newish laptop, which means that I now actually have a decent machine to work on. This should help progress somewhat.

rizo

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

And an update, a long last. v0.51 of the patch has been released; grab it from my sig or the first post. This is the "translates everything but non-story H-scenes up until the end of Act 3" release.

I'll be trying to speed things up going forward; the last weeks delay was due to me transferring everything onto a newish laptop, which means that I now actually have a decent machine to work on. This should help progress somewhat.
Thanks for the update, now I can continue on.
I appreciate the work you're putting in.

Status
Not open for further replies.