What's new

What do people use to machine translate games?

nanaya1234

Lurker
Reputation score
I used to use Chiitrans then windows 10 update happened and now it doesn't work >_>

Bryanis

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
I'm not using win 10 so I can't recommend you one for win 10.
ITH + TA or ITH + VNR seem popular.
VNR often require some code to do some good translation, but peoples seem to use it mostly for VN / ADV rather than rpg maker game.

I know there chiitrans2 and chiitransLite. I've seen the name go around, but I haven't used them. I always managed the rpg maker game with ITH + TA.

But I'm on win 7...

Maker

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
I use for older games AGTH + Chiitranslit or for MV games RPGMakerMVGame Hook patcher + Chiitranslite

lazycat

Lurker
Reputation score
I use basic Japanese grammar knowledge, which along with the 2 basic letter types (hiragana, katakana) can probably all be learned in 1-2 weeks if you give care to try.

And rikaikun, an extension that attempt to translate a single word that my mouse icon hovers on.

Basically so long as I can tell 'X do B to Y', I can translate each of the words individually and get a basic grasp of things, then over time build up visual recognition of things.
(Of course it's not fool proof since it requires you to actually consider the multiple meanings a word can have, one of the most often mistranslated is a term that can be both rape and insult....let's just say people use the latter way too often despite the former being the one the story obviously meant)