What's new

What's your opinion on character customization?

otter_san

Reputation score
Specifically on RPG maker games. In some of those you can get currencies (via part-timer, prostitution, fighting monster) to buy new costumes and dress the character.
So, here are a few questions:
1) Do you usually grind to unlock all costumes from a merchant?
2) Would you rather save money and unlock costumes or get them for completing different tasks (quests/ecchi events) throughout the game?
3) Is customization an important feature (wearing something lewder on portrait)?
4) In case a game has this implemented, how do you feel about costume-locked scenes (only able to do it when wearing an specific piece of clothing)?
5) Are dynamic (pictures according to your current clothes) ecchi events a thing?

Also, would you play a mini-game (part-time work) repeatedly just to buy new dresses? Leave your thoughts on the subject, please.

mayaktheunholy

Cthulhu
Reputation score
Personally, I don't consider outfits a major selling point, but some people do. For me it's more like a nice bonus if the game has it as a feature, but I'm not going to base my decision on whether I will play the game on it.

That being said, to respond to your questions individually:
1) No, unless question 4 is being implemented. Sometimes not even then. But for completionists it can be a fun thing.
2) A few of each would be best, actually.
3) I would say yes, generally.
4) I would be careful about how hard the outfits are to obtain if they are going to be required for certain scenes. Would recommend they be easily available when the story has progressed enough for the scene to be unlocked. (maybe make this type of outfit purchasable, and those that aren't required for scenes be more hidden or require a specific task)
5) This would be so much work on the art side of things that I would not recommend implementing it. I have seen some devs do it, but it requires a huge number of images, and for something not all players are even going to care about. Would basically multiply the art workload by the number of outfits.

And having it tied to a minigame could be a good way to implement an outfit system, it's something that isn't often seen in these games. In fact I don't think I've played any game where it was tied to a minigame.

One other thing, this might be better to put in the Hentai Games section. This area does not get as much traffic, and this is specifically a game-related question. :)

Yugifan3

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Sure. I like it when game gives me costume options. Even better when they give you
different things. It's kinda bad that mostly (not always) costumes are

worse as you play. Better if they are separate and don't affect stat at all. If it's got glasses is first thing i go for.
2) Would you rather save money and unlock costumes or get them for completing different tasks (quests/ecchi events) throughout the game?
I rather have to unlock it then save money for it. Makes it more satisfying.
3) Is customization an important feature (wearing something lewder on portrait)?
Doesn't really matter since most games I played there is basically no effect in conversations.
Would be nice if it effected story events rather then just having default one. Doesn't have to
be something major, but even if you stand there completely nude the other party doesn't seem to care.
4) In case a game has this implemented, how do you feel about costume-locked scenes (only able to do it when wearing an specific piece of clothing)?
This is fine to me. Doesn't make sense if you are at the beach wearing maid clothes does it. Course, it all depends on
what / where the scene is. Like if you are in bed with someone doesn't matter.
But , if you are in certain locations it makes more sense.
5) Are dynamic (pictures according to your current clothes) ecchi events a thing?
M Think agree with Mayak here a bit, but maybe do it like certain npcs events or just something minimal. As i said before, if you talk to a guard in your underwear or say slutty clothes that make more sense, then just standing there talking nude and all he says is :
This is a nice town. or Look out for bandits!

Kinda thing on my part, but i like it when games add pregnancy effect on clothes. Mean, makes sense right? Why can't you wear this cloth
even tough you are pregnant? Sure, stretches it a bit, but is nice when they put effort into it and include it.

AngelKara

Sex Demon
Reputation score
1: Can't say I've played many games with customizable outfits. I did play Melty though and did indeed attempt to grind out every costume.

2. I like the idea of a mix of both. Buyable costumes, but also unlockable or special hidden costumes.

3. Not really important, but nice.

4. I like the idea of potentially costume locked scenes, but there needs to be some hint or the like that points out you need a different costume. Cause just changing outfits and trying everything again to find secrets is pretty awful.

5. I don't think it is, but I like the idea. I know the artist in my team seems determined to do so so... Up to your artist whether they are willing and able to do that much work.

Orewa

Reputation score

It depend on the costumes, if for instance you can unlock a cow-thing suit or somthing like that, I won't grind for those and focus on the ones that catched my eyes. But if the game got a very pleasant style, I'll gride for all of them (Especially in Acerola's games ~)

I prefer to focus on the costumes as they are usually expensive as hell so at least that one big thing done +_+

I think it is in some way... It geaves me the feeling of a very deep game and not only does it geave more fapping material, but it's also pleasant to play a game that feels like it's a big thing.

I like those cases ! it force the player to explore every corner to find who wants what and may somehow enhance our lewd imagination.

I'll join Mayak's idea on the fact that if you don't want to make a huuuuuuuuge game you souldn't force yourself to make this huge work. But as I sayed, if it's done properly, it can increase a game quality in such a huge way.

mayaktheunholy

Cthulhu
Reputation score
4. I like the idea of potentially costume locked scenes, but there needs to be some hint or the like that points out you need a different costume. Cause just changing outfits and trying everything again to find secrets is pretty awful.
This is a good point, didn't think to mention this. Shoku's games are a good example of this, the text will mention something like the NPC involved "likes gym uniforms" (or whatever).