What's new

Why so coy with nyaa?

MrMe

Lurker
Reputation score
Just wondering if there's a proper reason, or if it's just a strange habit everyone has formed by copying others that did it originally, why when someone says there's a torrent of a game on nyaa instead of actually linking to nyaa they instead refer to it as 'the cat place'?

GEMPAL00

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
actually this reminds me of windtalkers. if you ever watched that movie before.

OP
MrMe

MrMe

Lurker
Reputation score
The one with the native americans being radio operators in ww2?

GEMPAL00

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Yup that one. Joke aside, my assumption using another name or alias to make it more discreet instead directly pointing to kitty.

Fenril

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
My guess is people got in the habit of trying to avoid links being taken down so they had to find workarounds with everything. Yet, torrents really don't have that same problem.

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
I think this probably started from threads which were discussing loli/shota games i.e. things which cannot be linked to, and then it just spread out more generally.

That might not be a complete picture, but I think it's fairly accurate.

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score
There isn't really a rule against linking to Nyaa, aside from the general loli/shota rule and links that have been requested to not be allowed. Like others have said, it probably just spread to that. Plus, I think people secretly like being a little clever with how they tell people where to find links.

BlueShinobi

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
I actually thought "cat" was referring to it being the nyaa.pantsu.cat version instead of the nyaa.si version(which is apparently affiliated with CrunchyRoll).

I don't recall anyone calling it "cat" back when classic Nyaa was still operating. Everyone called it "nyaa".

OP
MrMe

MrMe

Lurker
Reputation score
Whilst I'm on the subject of nyaa...

I see a lot of torrents using the follow reference system:
[180901][QRoss] 見習い狩人フェイルの危険な狩猟生活~どんな依頼も、お受けします~

What is the [180901] system a reference to, because it's not dlsite or DMM?

Edit: Duh, it's the date it was created isn't it?

Bryanis

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
yep, it's the date the torrent was created.
Many forum also use that form of presentation in their upload file name and / or thread.

Although depending on the place / poster, it can either be the thread / torrent creation date OR the product release date.

zipetya

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
With regards to torrents, I almost always see that [date] refer to the release date of the product.