What's new

RPG Patreon Active RPG Maker [吉国大輝 / Yoshiiki] Petals of Rose

OP
Yoshiiki

Yoshiiki

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
Got the demo a while back in your /hgg/ thread but only managed to play it recently.

The first thing that got my attention was the art style, I do not want to say it is bad but personally I did not like it at all. I was ready to quit the game after the character intro but carried on because the dialogues were somewhat amusing then the H-scenes happened and they all felt really stiff but you know what? I enjoyed them because of the dialogues.
So it seems the forte of the game is the writing the issue being some wonky lines here and there. for example "old man said x and y" you are missing a "the"
Then you have the story and characters I don´t know if it was intentional or if Im giant weeb but it felt really anime-esque you totally captured the scense. needless to say I loved it all.
And finally, your game has soul and passion it shows man,seriously I am definetely becoming a patreon at the end of this month.
tl;drYou should really consider hiring an artist because for an rpg maker game this one is kinda good.
Oh, that one got sliced a while ago. :p
Why not? Due to lack of experience and mileage, it is bad artstyle, but if I want to get better, I have to draw.
Yeah, you are correct, while I take tons of pride in my writing, maybe even too much... It's only limited to my native language. When I do it in English - it shows I have a lot to learn, which is why I need money to get a proofreader/editor. Annoying enough, one guy that knows my writing style inside-out and can make it shine with his amazing editing skills... Well, he won't do it (and if he would, it would probably take months to have intro finished :p).
Well, I was raised on anime&manga, so that's mainly what I know, so I guess it came from this and my hopes to make it feel anime-esque. Makes me glad I was somewhat able to do it :D
Soul and passion... I guess it shows. I do like Rose, I do want to tell a good story, I do want characters to be fun, I do want this to be enjoyable. It's fun to make it as much as it's fun for me to play it :]

To hiring an artists, I will have to say no. Me trying to get better aside... I don't trust majority of them. They killed more than one project or forced devs to have different artists. I talked with few personally, here and there and a lot of them act like some fucking gay princesses. I would rather git gud myself and get the job done, than hope the guy I hired isn't going to quit because money is not that good and he has to work a lot. xD
btw. Latest release was "leaked" on f95, but since game is going f2p, around today there should be new, repacked version that will be uploaded everywhere for people to play, you may want to try that one :]

dudes_tractor_yeah

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Oh, that one got sliced a while ago. :p
Why not? Due to lack of experience and mileage, it is bad artstyle, but if I want to get better, I have to draw.
Well, experience tells me you have to be extra careful when talking about somebody else´s artstyle. But I guess you know why. :v

Yeah, you are correct, while I take tons of pride in my writing, maybe even too much... It's only limited to my native language. When I do it in English - it shows I have a lot to learn, which is why I need money to get a proofreader/editor. Annoying enough, one guy that knows my writing style inside-out and can make it shine with his amazing editing skills... Well, he won't do it (and if he would, it would probably take months to have intro finished :p).
I could give the intro a go if you want. All I ask in return is some beer money.

To hiring an artists, I will have to say no. Me trying to get better aside... I don't trust majority of them. They killed more than one project or forced devs to have different artists. I talked with few personally, here and there and a lot of them act like some fucking gay princesses. I would rather git gud myself and get the job done, than hope the guy I hired isn't going to quit because money is not that good and he has to work a lot. xD
btw. Latest release was "leaked" on f95, but since game is going f2p, around today there should be new, repacked version that will be uploaded everywhere for people to play, you may want to try that one
Fair enough, I might check that one out then.

Slam Sector

Sex Demon
Reputation score
I think your artstyle has a charm to it despite being amateur work.
My biggest complaint is about the how longwinded the game is. Trudging through a bunch of conversations, getting a break to save the game, then being pushed into more conversations is reminding me of Metal Gear Solid 4 in a bad way.

OP
Yoshiiki

Yoshiiki

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
Well, experience tells me you have to be extra careful when talking about somebody else´s artstyle. But I guess you know why. :v
kek, I know, but I am not that kind of breed xD "Stick and stones".
I could give the intro a go if you want. All I ask in return is some beer money.
I appreciate the offer. But (always a but, huh?), right now I am keeping everything tight in terms of money, even though Gabe is trying to tempt me with his sales. Unless I know 80% that I will be able to continue this full time, things like that will have to wait.
Fair enough, I might check that one out then.
Yeah, I still need to go through chapter one. Too many things that were unfinished as I didn't plan on making another fixing release built on main version. Unless there is some huge problem, it's a matter of zooming through that content.

I think your artstyle has a charm to it despite being amateur work.
My biggest complaint is about the how longwinded the game is. Trudging through a bunch of conversations, getting a break to save the game, then being pushed into more conversations is reminding me of Metal Gear Solid 4 in a bad way.
There is a reason why autosave was added :D
But I agree, I slightly overdid it in terms of dialogues (though, some people liked it). While some conversations (especially story ones) will still have some reading to them, next release will be as stated on the end of current one: Player finally gets some freedom, alongside some parts of world map and some initial events, not always H ones.

OP
Yoshiiki

Yoshiiki

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
OP updated with public release of 0.1.4c

Legrandxav

Lurker
Reputation score
Sorry for the double post but I have a bug. I can't change to the maid outfit in the basement. I'm in front of the wardrobe (with the arrow) but nothing happen and I can't get out.

OP
Yoshiiki

Yoshiiki

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
Sorry for the double post but I have a bug. I can't change to the maid outfit in the basement. I'm in front of the wardrobe (with the arrow) but nothing happen and I can't get out.
Go to the OP post, there is a hotfix there.

Gurdin Alehammer

Reputation score
I saw some people talking about your art style. There's really nothing wrong with the style, it's just that you gotta get more practice. But don't just blindly practice, review your art and find problems for yourself.

I feel you might want to spend more time on hips and faces specifically. Also, the boobs should look a bit more like they are resting on top of the ribcage.
I don't know your workflow, but maybe spend a bit more time in the planning phase (creating the character out of simple shapes) and add some lines along the shape to remind yourself of the way things are in 3D. After a while you'll get it and skip some steps. Mikeymegamega on Youtube has some really good tutorials about this stuff.

You're on the right track though! Keep it up! You're already doing a good job on those "oily" highlights, that I love! ;)

OP
Yoshiiki

Yoshiiki

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
I saw some people talking about your art style. There's really nothing wrong with the style, it's just that you gotta get more practice. But don't just blindly practice, review your art and find problems for yourself.
Lack of practice is still what I would call "something wrong" xP
I feel you might want to spend more time on hips and faces specifically. Also, the boobs should look a bit more like they are resting on top of the ribcage.
I don't know your workflow, but maybe spend a bit more time in the planning phase (creating the character out of simple shapes) and add some lines along the shape to remind yourself of the way things are in 3D. After a while you'll get it and skip some steps. Mikeymegamega on Youtube has some really good tutorials about this stuff.
Actually, I need to go other way around. I tend to be way too technical with everything, so I start correcting and overdoing it. So while it's fine that I got that tiny detail exactly as it should be after few hours, now it doesn't work with it as a whole.
And yeah, MMM tutorials are good, but not working for me now, because his approach when making guides is very technical. Generally, best draws I got where ones done with "Seems fine" and not with "it's not working with skeleton I build it on, need to correct it... Now it doesn't work, need new skeleton" and so on...
You're on the right track though! Keep it up! You're already doing a good job on those "oily" highlights, that I love! ;)
Oh yeah, I am still trying to figure out how to put them nicely on the body as I like them too and want them nailed due to fact I will have tanned skin tone for Rose.
Anyway, thanks :D

Gurdin Alehammer

Reputation score
Lack of practice is still what I would call "something wrong" xP

Actually, I need to go other way around. I tend to be way too technical with everything, so I start correcting and overdoing it. So while it's fine that I got that tiny detail exactly as it should be after few hours, now it doesn't work with it as a whole.
And yeah, MMM tutorials are good, but not working for me now, because his approach when making guides is very technical. Generally, best draws I got where ones done with "Seems fine" and not with "it's not working with skeleton I build it on, need to correct it... Now it doesn't work, need new skeleton" and so on...

Oh yeah, I am still trying to figure out how to put them nicely on the body as I like them too and want them nailed due to fact I will have tanned skin tone for Rose.
Anyway, thanks :D
Wow, that's cool! I guess different things work for different people. But just feeling it out is the end goal, so if you've got that going a bit more naturally it should speed things up a lot. :O

OP
Yoshiiki

Yoshiiki

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
Little bump, directly copy pasted from patreon post :p

Since I dropped it on discord, I will post it here too.
This is the map of the Rieat (which means pretty much "Earth" in some I-just-made-it-up-but-not-really-right-now ancient language).
One with borders, other without any. No important places/cities marked on both maps.

This is also pretty much what I am using to build in game map from tilesets.
I may spend some extra time and refine this map sketch even more (I had to look at so many maps and read a little bit about geology to at least try getting it right, so more of that won't hurt xD), which would mean making it look like a proper map for a game :p
And a reason to get it looking much better would be to add in-game item called just "map" that would show map image with extra pointer telling player where Rose exactly is at each point. Just a little extra that is not needed at this very moment, but since I was fixing original map sketch to get a good frame for map building, I decided to share this anyway.

OP
Yoshiiki

Yoshiiki

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
I will bump this and link to latest public post:

And yes, I changed from "per month" to "per major release" because reasons in previous post.

OP
Yoshiiki

Yoshiiki

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
Hotfix #3 for 0.1.4c - All systems
Fixes issue with bar scene after getting high ero stats with Debug NPCs So basically, this doesn't do anything for people who don't use debug NPCs.

scratiii

Reputation score
just finished the game, never got my shame below 75 (not entirely sure if you can yet or if its a later time thing youre supposed to see) so i couldnt complete the bar scenes, and now that im finished you seem to be stuck in a room with the gallery room being the only option of going any further. there is a man asking for a password for the rest of the gallery unlocks, would that even unlock anything if there isnt any further scenes to be seen yet? or was i supposed to do something in particular to get my shame lower and exhibitionism higher?

OP
Yoshiiki

Yoshiiki

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
just finished the game, never got my shame below 75 (not entirely sure if you can yet or if its a later time thing youre supposed to see) so i couldnt complete the bar scenes, and now that im finished you seem to be stuck in a room with the gallery room being the only option of going any further. there is a man asking for a password for the rest of the gallery unlocks, would that even unlock anything if there isnt any further scenes to be seen yet? or was i supposed to do something in particular to get my shame lower and exhibitionism higher?
And this is the weird standard that people got used to... Makes me kinda angry.
Anyway, all hentai scenes are finished and yes, you can unlock more stuff in the gallery. Also, after finishing story events in Sedara, there is NPC behind a mansion that unlocks debug NPCs which can change ero stats so rest of waitress scenes could be achieved.

Let me drop it again for everyone:
I will never add unfinished hentai scene. While some won't be able to be unlocked in genuine playthrough due to game being a work in progress, debug NPCs will be available until the game is done (in next release, those are moved into recollection room for convenience), same with gallery password.

Last edited:

scratiii

Reputation score
And this is the weird standard that people got used to... Makes me kinda angry
As much as it's a pain to say, this is how most H games seem to be nowadays. unfinished Galleries and unobtainable endings due to lack of updates. glad to know those little diamonds weren't just teasers for a later update and are actually at least achievable via password, would have bothered me if i just had to see those locked diamonds until the next update like the countless other games I've run through.

OP
Yoshiiki

Yoshiiki

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
Added roadmap to show current progress on next update. It's on the blog.

OP
Yoshiiki

Yoshiiki

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Free means free, fuck dumb paywalls, fuck waiting time based on given money, screw all that crap.
Everything is in post above. Thanks for reading :D