What's new

ACT Patreon Active [Azurezero] Yuki's Tale

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfarren

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Re: Yuki's Tale (demo)

it's funny you mentioned kurovadis cause while playing this that's exactly what i was comparing it to especially once i got the dodge roll ability.

i'd also have to agree with the guy above non h enemys are a giant pet peeve of mine at least when there's a lot of them but again it's your game and so far this demo was better then 90% of the game's that's usually put out there.

i wish you good luck and hope to see this finished def has the potential to be something great.

Last edited:
OP
azurezero

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I have to disagree.
I still think my other criticisms are correct. I still need to add the game over cg or scenes aswell...

the main thing is the lack of pickups and or going anywhere.
hiding those things around are part of the fun. mainly... I wish that the end of the demo arrived after getting something significant, currently the most exciting part is the boss and it goes downhill after that.

CountMoxi

Demon Girl
Reputation score

I still think my other criticisms are correct. I still need to add the game over cg or scenes aswell...

the main thing is the lack of pickups and or going anywhere.
hiding those things around are part of the fun. mainly... I wish that the end of the demo arrived after getting something significant, currently the most exciting part is the boss and it goes downhill after that.
I think the enemies you have now are good. Really if you mix and match them with the level design ( plant girls on high ground with ground enemies on the way to her) I think you have several tools to keep the player engaged. Like Jesus said, non-h enemies really just disappoint players in the long run, so I'd say you're on the right track with things.

If you're having trouble with the metroidvania part of it, maybe going the route of a more linear platformer would be better? You could use mos of the assets you have now and it'd be easier to design levels for. Not sure if it'd still work with the story you want to tell though.

But keep at it! I'm liking the project so far and the MC is super cute! :D

OP
azurezero

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I think the enemies you have now are good. Really if you mix and match them with the level design ( plant girls on high ground with ground enemies on the way to her) I think you have several tools to keep the player engaged. Like Jesus said, non-h enemies really just disappoint players in the long run, so I'd say you're on the right track with things.

If you're having trouble with the metroidvania part of it, maybe going the route of a more linear platformer would be better? You could use mos of the assets you have now and it'd be easier to design levels for. Not sure if it'd still work with the story you want to tell though.

But keep at it! I'm liking the project so far and the MC is super cute! :D
My main issue is I can't design simple platformers, i looked at the succubus game, and i was like, this level design is really simple... but when i try i just cant think that way. and a linear platformer wouldnt really be able to tell the same story i want to... I really need to put a lot more work into it... I need girls in the background getting fucked and stuff...
I was trying to make game over animations for yuki yesterday but It'sreally hard to draw her naked with those proportions... so i might have to go for another method if i want to do those...

Fenril

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

If you need another game that's a good example try Lab Still Alive. It's relatively simple in concept and is rather similar to this game. It also has some of those bastard non-H enemies that everyone hates!

OP
azurezero

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I'm currently wondering what to make next. (in general cause im not sure how to move forward with this)

i've been playing with Yuki's tale but game makers updates have fucked up a lot of the code so new bugs have crept in. and i wasnt too happy with the layout so i've changed things a bit...had to give up some level of sequence breaking in return for a more cohesive path. but i cant help but feel i should be doing more.

I added a missle attack because the first boss is suddenly way harder than it used to be (im assuming this is one of those bugs) but also because missles give me another thing to pepper around the dungeon as hidden items and things.

I also feel a bit limited by my idea of travelling down through a dungeon cave system. unless i imagine the hole yuki fell down to be a lot bigger im limited to travelling down in general but i think my starting area needs more expansion to it. so who knows.

EDIT - YUKI ISNT CANCELLED, FUCK GAME MAKER THOUGH... had to fresh install the original version i first downloaded on this laptop to erase the bugs... the other bug besides the boss being impossibly hard was wolfmen doubled in speed after raping you, which included the speed they fell at.

Last edited:

CountMoxi

Demon Girl
Reputation score

I wouldn't say you're limited to specific areas just because it's a cave. You can have multiple sections that foster different environments as the cave gets deeper and deeper. Maybe even show some other people that we're thrown in the cave and what they've been doing. Cave Story and Undertale have a lot of different areas even though it's all descending. Even Kurovadis has you descending into different places.

OP
azurezero

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I wouldn't say you're limited to specific areas just because it's a cave. You can have multiple sections that foster different environments as the cave gets deeper and deeper. Maybe even show some other people that we're thrown in the cave and what they've been doing. Cave Story and Undertale have a lot of different areas even though it's all descending. Even Kurovadis has you descending into different places.
not specific areas, just the idea of not being able to go too far up because you got dropped only 2 screens down from your village at the start.

and up areas are most of where i can expand the current map to without expanding into areas where other maps should be

ilmncsm

Demon Girl
Reputation score

not specific areas, just the idea of not being able to go too far up because you got dropped only 2 screens down from your village at the start.

and up areas are most of where i can expand the current map to without expanding into areas where other maps should be
Alternatively you could have her fall an additional screen or two in the beginning. It could stretch suspension of disbelief for some people I suppose, but you already have her falling pretty far, and we're in a fantasy setting where people can throw magical bolts of energy, and are also durable enough to survive getting hit multiple times by said bolts of energy. I don't think it would stretch disbelief too far to give yourself another screen or two to work with.

OP
azurezero

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Alternatively you could have her fall an additional screen or two in the beginning. It could stretch suspension of disbelief for some people I suppose, but you already have her falling pretty far, and we're in a fantasy setting where people can throw magical bolts of energy, and are also durable enough to survive getting hit multiple times by said bolts of energy. I don't think it would stretch disbelief too far to give yourself another screen or two to work with.
Yuki slams into the hard ground but doesnt die... she is filled with determination.

wait... is it inconsistent for me to have yuki take damage on that first fall if fall damage is not a thing in this game?

cacapost

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Yuki slams into the hard ground but doesnt die... she is filled with determination.

wait... is it inconsistent for me to have yuki take damage on that first fall if fall damage is not a thing in this game?
It might be a little misleading :^)

wolfarren

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

i guess if it bothers you you could always put a small pond or lake for her to fall into.

OP
azurezero

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

i guess if it bothers you you could always put a small pond or lake for her to fall into.
i can just say she only took damage cause she fell really far down.
:3

either way i hope to have a breakthrough with the layout soon.
the missles can stay even though the bug is fixed that made the first boss almost impossible

Ayu Break

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

I managed to break the game by me and the slave demon double KOing each other. I heal up forthe boss kill but still count as downed. I had to shut the game off.
A minor issue but i figured I's share it.

Also keep up the good work. It's showing promice.

OP
azurezero

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I managed to break the game by me and the slave demon double KOing each other. I heal up forthe boss kill but still count as downed. I had to shut the game off.
A minor issue but i figured I's share it.

Also keep up the good work. It's showing promice.
did the hit enter to go to gameover thing not appear? the bondage animation that happens when you lose normally?

Lumino

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

The layout issue has a simple solution. Show the intro of her getting blasted into the pit, then the screen with her hitting the ground. Don't put any of the 'falling' segments in between. That way it is unknown how far she fell, and you can expand the map however far you want.

OP
azurezero

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

The layout issue has a simple solution. Show the intro of her getting blasted into the pit, then the screen with her hitting the ground. Don't put any of the 'falling' segments in between. That way it is unknown how far she fell, and you can expand the map however far you want.
a fade to black during the fall would work for that too but i currently cant imagine it. but yeah i think im not gonna let that general idea of the dungeon get in the way of expanding anyway id like to. the next thing i need to add is something that gives you a proper driving force...like a door needing a key...

Fenril

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Well, if you want a new area, just make an exit to the cave from the side, not the top. Doesn't necessarily mean it has to be close to any sort of civilization, or friendly creatures. :D

OP
azurezero

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Well, if you want a new area, just make an exit to the cave from the side, not the top. Doesn't necessarily mean it has to be close to any sort of civilization, or friendly creatures. :D
I imagined the villiage to be at the top of a mountain or floating island, with the cave being how they export things to the rest of the world.
My current issue is just being to fully solidify an idea in my head so i can move forward with it, i know i want an area where the barrels are being smashed open by a problem in the pipeline, but i don't know if i want it this early in the game. the same for any of my other ideas.

OP
azurezero

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

People were against it, but I really think there needs to be more enemies.
I mean, not every enemy needs to grab you... that would be annoying.

so i've added the most generic enemy possible: goddamn bats.
though i am actually pretty happy with how they move.

Status
Not open for further replies.