What's new

Yet another Pathfinder game. (RP Interest Check)

Caulder

Is completely fucking irrelevant. And he's a bitch
RP Moderator
Reputation score
It seems this is becoming a fad.

I've been tossing this idea around for a few days, and now it seems like it's the right time.

This will be a Pathfinder game, with additional rules taken from Dragonstar and converted to Pathfinder.

This will be forum-based, unless too many people want chat-based. If a large combat or other significant event that would take too long to play out via forum occurs, I'll most likely take it chat-based for that event.

NOW! On to the good bits! THE FLUFF!

The characters are all either Mercenaries or Imperial Soldiers assigned to guard a deep-space mining vessel, the Odyssey. Most of its missions entail it flying to a large asteroid and cracking it in half with one of only five ultra-powered mining lasers in existence. The real trouble with this is, many workers have to disembark onto the asteroid to find fault lines or weaknesses that the laser can exploit to crack the asteroid in half. This is why the mining company has hired the characters, to ensure that their significant investment isn't ruined by some asteroid-dwelling raiders. Some of the crew are tense, as several days ago, a message was received from the company, asking them to check out a large asteroid field for large enough asteroids. This is bad, as raiders could be hiding anywhere.

Basically, it's my own type of space adventure. If you need a rulebook for Dragonstar, it can be found in

Any other stuff that requires things from a basic PHB, can be taken from the SRD for Pathfinder, found

Commence interest check.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Yet another Pathfinder game. (RP Interest Check)

Possibly. You know how busy I am though, so I might be a bit spotty.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Gonna go and let my interest be shown even though you already know.

OP
Caulder

Caulder

RP Moderator
Reputation score

Alright, since I forgot to add this into the OP.

First off, Half-Dragon races are off limits unless you take a LA2 version I've worked on myself. PM me for details.

Second, a few weapon changes:

Firstly, Grenade Launchers have 6 shots instead of 5, and reload all at once.

Secondly, you can get one-shot rocket launchers if you're a member of the Empire military force. These one-shot rocket launchers only weigh 10 lbs, and only cost 1,500 credits each, although carrying around more than maybe two at a time can be unwieldy.

Thirdly, any of the Grenade Launcher grenades can be bought as hand-grenades for triple the price they would be as GL ammunition. This makes them a thrown weapon with significantly less range, but there are a few advantages to using hand grenades over a GL.

The first of these advantages is, they can be drawn and readied as a free action, however attacking with them requires an Attack action. Also, they can be upgraded with a special polymer to allow them to stick to surfaces and enemies, provided you hit the enemy with them, though this increases the price of the grenade from 3x the normal price to 4x the normal price. The advantage of this, is that an enemy stuck with a grenade that deals damage takes maximum damage. And last, after using a hand-grenade, any weapon you had been using beforehand can be equipped as a free action. So in short, you can throw the things without having to put your weapon away.

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

So, I've got a couple questions I'd like clarifications for.

First, teleportation spells: Interplanetary Teleport implies that Greater Teleport can't be used for interstellar travel. However, Greater Teleport says that its range is unlimited and the Starfarer's Handbook says that unlimited range spells work just fine in interstellar distances. Can greater teleport be used to travel from one planet to another?

Second, Smite Evil/Smite Good: The description for smiting says that it ignores any DR. How does that interact with weapons that don't do physical damage, like blasters and lasers and such? It doesn't say anything about energy damage, but I think it would be reasonable to have energy resistance/damage resistance not apply against the base damage of the weapon, regardless of the damage type.

OP
Caulder

Caulder

RP Moderator
Reputation score

Firstly, interplanetary teleport is used mostly by the Imperial Society of Mages to get around the universe. Secondly, Greater Teleport means that you can go anywhere on the planet provided you know exactly where you are. I'm willing to accept either as a mode of interplanetary teleportation, but Greater Teleport still requires being very accurate about where you're going, whereas Interplanetary teleport will just take you to the planet.

OP
Caulder

Caulder

RP Moderator
Reputation score

More shit I forgot to post beforehand:

CHAR-GEN STUFFS:

Starting level is level 3, we'll be starting out with 4k credits per character, and we'll be using the point-buy system of Pathfinder, which means you'll get 20 points to pick and choose your stats based on the table on the SRD.

Most, if not all characters, will have the Technological Proficiency feat for free, granted they're actually a part of technological society. If you're fresh from the Outlands, whoop, no luck there mate.

Another thing: If you're designing a character sheet, use a basic PF character sheet, and just post any of the new skills you have here on the forums along with their ranks and whatnot. I.E, Demolitions or Use Device skills, which come with the Dragonstar setting.

Now, for custom shite:

First off, most everything that can be used like a datapad or with said datapad, is going to be an add-on or compatible with, tada, Omni-tools! Which are basically datapads that can't be stolen, but can still be hacked and such. Most types of datapad and Spellware programs work with an Omnitool, and there are even versions with specialized drivers and power output settings that allow the user to use them like a weapon.

These weapons are often streamlined versions of old Light weaponry from the pre-flight era ((Read: You can get an Omni-blade of any old Simple or Martial Light weapon.)), and some can even be upgraded to house a power cell which allows the omni-blade to take on a much larger role. ((Read: You can get One-Handed melee weapons as omni-blades, but they eat up part of a Power Cell's charge per swing.)) All Omni-blades are generally considered weapons of the highest caliber, and generally get the job done ((Read: Onmi-Blades are essentially the chosen weapon, with +20% added in to the base cost, and must be Masterwork.))

Secondly, there are many weapons out in the galaxy that are so few that some believe them to be myth or legend. Many of these weapons could become quite powerful in the hands of the right person. Whether you use them, or sell them to a collector for a king's ransom, is up to you.

Last edited:
Reputation score

I'm interested in playing. (Standard interest post #33608)

Also, what classes are available? Alchemist? Gunslinger? What about archetypes? Personally, was probably going to go with Ranger with the Skirmisher archetype (replace spells with nifty things).

Last edited:
OP
Caulder

Caulder

RP Moderator
Reputation score

Pretty much any non-spellcaster class/archetype is available if you can find a way to make it fit lore-wise. As for spellcasters, well, that takes a bit more work.

On an unrelated note, I need times during the week and weekends which you all would be available for IRC sessions. I'm still tossing the idea back and forth between IRC or PbP.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

After 7 EST on weekdays. Preferably starting before 8. My schedule isn't particularly reliable and is subject to change on a whim, but I'll try to keep you appraised as always. Weekends are the usual game times.

Reputation score

Personally, I'd prefer PbP, due to how random my "schedule" is. Monday through Friday I might have to work, anywhere from 6 in the morning (rarely) to 11 at night (8 hour shifts, at least). Saturday I (usually) game with my friends, and I do laundry Sunday afternoon to evening (usually takes around 3 to 4 hours total) (All times Eastern).

Other than that, I'm available.

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Oh wait. Occ meant for me to post times in this thread. Hurr.

Yeah, as of now it's pretty much whenever for irc. Prefer pbp, because shitty internet and whatnot.

Hrrg. I don't need to actually buy a vac suit, do I? <:x Those are expensive.

OP
Caulder

Caulder

RP Moderator
Reputation score

It depends on which class you start out as. Engineers are more likely to own a vac suit, as are Pilots.

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

It depends on which class you start out as. Engineers are more likely to own a vac suit, as are Pilots.
Wait, does that mean we get some equipment for free?

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Well, I mean, there isn't going to be a part where it's like "Oh hey, I need you to guard these prospectors when they go check some shit on an asteroid, but you have to sit out because you didn't buy this thing for 2.2k dosh", right.

OP
Caulder

Caulder

RP Moderator
Reputation score

Based on class, yeah. Some classes come with kits of equipment.

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Oh, I have to buy grenade ammo individually, don't I. Blast, no explosion elemental for me.

Am I right in assuming nade launcher propellant cartridges go up to 24 shots before needing replacement?

I don't see anything for like, plastic explosives and other shit. Should I just be taking grenades and stuff and saying they're door charges or mines or what have you.

Mechanist's bonus feats come every five levels - 1, 6, 11, etc. Does that go down to every four? Four is the usual rate in Pathfinder, right.

OP
Caulder

Caulder

RP Moderator
Reputation score

Pretty much, Blarg, except for the Grenade launcher, that's a bit different. The cartridges can fire up to 30 shots before needing replacement, and prices shown on the sheet are per individual grenade, and they come in cylinders of 6.

As for the earlier question, don't expect those moments too often. If they do crop up, rest assured it won't be the death of the party if you can't complete them. Maybe. [Insert DM chuckle here]

EDIT: Also, I goofed. It turns out starting credits aren't going to be 4k. It's going to be 30k.

Last edited:

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

>30k
Oh wow. I guess demognome WILL have bombs, then.

No fluff yet but basically a tiny and buffed up technicolor mechanist with a grenade launcher that's mounted like one of the Smart Guns from Aliens.

I'm using one of the variant racial trait things - swapping out Hatred and something else for Masterful Tinker. Is that okay?

Also I supposedly can SCIENCE whatever gear you people get for +1 AC or attack bonus. Yay! Uhh, except, it will fuck up totally if you get critted or roll a nat1, so that's probably bad.

Occ, what does that mean for armor? Does it like, provide no AC, or just the base AC?

Does upgrade stack with Masterwork bonuses, for +2?

Last edited:
OP
Caulder

Caulder

RP Moderator
Reputation score

Bah, based on conflicting times this will have to be PBP.

On the upgrades, Blarg: The crit only removes the upgrade. As for stacking, I'm debating it.