What's new

In today's news...

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score
I'd imagine the dead guy doesn't particularly care anymore. On account of being dead
But it is at least good that they're looking out for him not being abused in some way though

Would suck for the kid to not get a father in life anyway, though it could be worse than that still

Turrican

Reputation score
Defeat, official European dictatorship!
I do not even put the link because I'm afraid of paying (not right away).
If the administrator sees this message, I ask you to delete all my newspaper links.
Disappointed now you will see that they will regret it bitterly in the future !!

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score
The way laws work is that you can't be retroactively fined and/or punished for things that did not cost money or were perfectly legal when you did them
So there will not be any taxes on links posted before any link tax is entered

But that said, better start looking into VPNs if you're worried about that

Lv1VillagerA

Lurker
Reputation score
Here's some links.

Here's some Disney screenshots.

Here's some fake News:
Scientist says banging your head against walls reduces stress so you should do it.
Lord Buckethead has declared UK is now a theocracy.
Scientists says wine is good for you health, except when it's bad for your health, so drink with moderation, moderation being under the maximum level your country allow.

Now sue me :)

Please understand that rules doesn't mean systematic punishment. Rules are only a tool to get rid of of nuisances. We're still not living in a dystopia where all rules are enforced and maximum punishment is always given.
Please understand that lobbyist (Copyright lobbyist fags included) are pressing every government to pass their stupid laws.
Please understand that it happens in the US, in the EU, and.. also in sovereign Italy :)

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Some people also conveniently forget that Google, Youtube, Amazon, .. they're pretty big companies too, by now. Also, laws can actually quite easily be changed or removed again as well, if they are problematic.

Turrican

Reputation score
Here's some links.

Here's some Disney screenshots.

Here's some fake News:
Scientist says banging your head against walls reduces stress so you should do it.
Lord Buckethead has declared UK is now a theocracy.
Scientists says wine is good for you health, except when it's bad for your health, so drink with moderation, moderation being under the maximum level your country allow.

Now sue me :)

Please understand that rules doesn't mean systematic punishment. Rules are only a tool to get rid of of nuisances. We're still not living in a dystopia where all rules are enforced and maximum punishment is always given.
Please understand that lobbyist (Copyright lobbyist fags included) are pressing every government to pass their stupid laws.
Please understand that it happens in the US, in the EU, and.. also in sovereign Italy :)
I have been seeing this thing for 20 years, every holy day (disappointments, disappointments, disappointments) on this "Europe".
But I had a little hope that they have a good sense in those fucking heads that I am, BUT I was wrong!
Now I do not know how it will end, but I hope that this crazy choice, unmotivated and anti-democratic, will definitely bring this "European Union" to the grave.

One day the copyright will be DESTROYED BY THE FACE OF THE EARTH.

Ninja_Named_Bob

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

I have been seeing this thing for 20 years, every holy day (disappointments, disappointments, disappointments) on this "Europe".
But I had a little hope that they have a good sense in those fucking heads that I am, BUT I was wrong!
EU has been on a downward spiral since Russia stopped being public enemy #1. Happens when the second-most powerful guy in the room finally chills the fuck out. Although, recent shenanigans and such have sort of screwed that up. I guess targeted ads and anything unrelated to a nation's leadership candidate is "meddling", or something.

Now I do not know how it will end, but I hope that this crazy choice, unmotivated and anti-democratic, will definitely bring this "European Union" to the grave.
EU is already two legs in, and not looking to stop. The moment they invited migrants to enter their countries en masse and with little to no effort on separating the good ones and the bad ones, the trainwreck began. That they've been suppressing criticisms towards migrants and the policies which enable a near-lawless state for these migrants, and forcing victims of the crimes these migrants commit to keep quiet, it shouldn't surprise you that they've now enacted a bill that basically says "We North Korea now."

One day the copyright will be DESTROYED BY THE FACE OF THE EARTH.
Calm down there, son, and get a grasp on a couple of things. First, on paper, copyright is a great thing. It enables the creator of a work to protect their property from any number of unwanted things happening to it. Hell, it enables potential creators to get noticed because "all roads lead back to the source", to quote some sci-fi shit. I think Optimus Prime or someone said it. Probably a Reboot quote, too.

Second thing is, you have a conglomerate called Disney who holds near-complete power over copyright laws. Unfortunately, as long as it keeps them rich and there is no legitimate cause for concern on their part in terms of it hurting them, the laws aren't about to change. You can bandwagon with mouth-breathing idiots like Doug Walker or YMS, but it'll only result in you spending millions to move an inch. You gotta kill Disney and, unfortunately, until they sink BILLIONS into a bad idea without showing signs of relenting, it's doubtful you'll get far.

Facts are facts. WWIII is looming, but this isn't the straw that broke the camel's back. It's just another shovel-full of dirt on the pile. This is also the worst hill to die on, friend. Believe it or not, this isn't the be-all, end-all, and with some revising, can actually be a force for good.

Turrican

Reputation score

EU has been on a downward spiral since Russia stopped being public enemy #1. Happens when the second-most powerful guy in the room finally chills the fuck out. Although, recent shenanigans and such have sort of screwed that up. I guess targeted ads and anything unrelated to a nation's leadership candidate is "meddling", or something.

EU is already two legs in, and not looking to stop. The moment they invited migrants to enter their countries en masse and with little to no effort on separating the good ones and the bad ones, the trainwreck began. That they've been suppressing criticisms towards migrants and the policies which enable a near-lawless state for these migrants, and forcing victims of the crimes these migrants commit to keep quiet, it shouldn't surprise you that they've now enacted a bill that basically says "We North Korea now."

Calm down there, son, and get a grasp on a couple of things. First, on paper, copyright is a great thing. It enables the creator of a work to protect their property from any number of unwanted things happening to it. Hell, it enables potential creators to get noticed because "all roads lead back to the source", to quote some sci-fi shit. I think Optimus Prime or someone said it. Probably a Reboot quote, too.

Second thing is, you have a conglomerate called Disney who holds near-complete power over copyright laws. Unfortunately, as long as it keeps them rich and there is no legitimate cause for concern on their part in terms of it hurting them, the laws aren't about to change. You can bandwagon with mouth-breathing idiots like Doug Walker or YMS, but it'll only result in you spending millions to move an inch. You gotta kill Disney and, unfortunately, until they sink BILLIONS into a bad idea without showing signs of relenting, it's doubtful you'll get far.

Facts are facts. WWIII is looming, but this isn't the straw that broke the camel's back. It's just another shovel-full of dirt on the pile. This is also the worst hill to die on, friend. Believe it or not, this isn't the be-all, end-all, and with some revising, can actually be a force for good.
We try to clarify.
The true copyright is to cite the source of that work.
Ex: I want to do a work, but I take the idea, but not the author's work.
Then I will say all I took inspiration from the rennet and advertises that artist, in this way the innovation continues.
But no, they prefer to protect evasively, with the risk that they will harm not only us European users, but will also turn against them.
Wait in 2021 when the law becomes official, then in 3 years
from that date we will see they regret it.

Blessed are you who are outside the EU, but sincerely pray that your nation after brexit does not make an independent law like this.

Lv1VillagerA

Lurker
Reputation score
Your reasoning, if not false, is completely disorganized.
You can't just put together your own definition of copyright, your dissatisfaction about EU, your opinion about art and innovation, your pessimism about the future, and then hope it makes sense.

The way it looks, you are not talking about copyright, you are just angry about the EU and you want everyone to know how angry you are.
We've already acknowledged you are angry. You can move on now.

Turrican

Reputation score
So, I know that I'm worse than a scooter, I always repeat the same things, but this is the beauty of a forum, share the thought, say what you think, naturally in a civilized way.
It's true I'm angry, and you do not have to talk about it.
If someone criticizes me, I accept it, as long as he tells me his own, do not hold back, but always politely.

By the way pervy because you put me the negative symbol, if I offended someone I apologize it was not my intention.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score
The negative is a 'respectfully disagree', which I think may be because of the misinterpretation of copyright, so I'll try to explain
The idea of "copyright" is that the creator is the only one with the "right" to "copy" the work for a period of time, so that any new inventions or new shows will get a period in which it's not allowed to copy them unless the creator allows it. This means the creator can actually profit from their work without it being copied by everyone else and used without getting them any sort of reward for doing all the science, writing, whatever. That way people are encouraged to innovate and create new things, which will benefit society and culture by bringing new technology, shows, and other things that people enjoy into our lives.

This was originally set at a very reasonable 10-20 years, enough time to profit off your creation, and then enough time for society as a whole to move on and work on something new
As mentioned above, Disney has extended copyright laws to go over a hundred years, so that nobody is allowed to copy their old creations. This is why nobody except them can make Mickey Mouse cartoons, Donald Duck shorts, and so on. Those are copyrighted, so any copies made of them need permission from the copyright holder.
But then the question is, how do you enforce such a copyright?

In the age of the internet where everyone can just right click a file, save it, and send it on. Or just make their own version of it in any image editing software. Or any number of ways to do that, it is not enforceable. Especially as satire is exempt from copyright, and copyrighted works may serve as inspiration for new works. It is a technologically impossible task at this point to create a filter that understands satire and derivative works, especially since good satire is difficult to distinguish from reality even for human beings.

The EU trying to sign the creation of such a filter into law just shows that they do not understand how reality works, just like many other decisions by them.
All it does is show everyone that the EU needs to be either removed or massively reduced in power, as they can not use that power responsibly and clearly do not care about how they use it either.

Bits of copyright trivia-
Hollywood is on the west coast of the US so that they could avoid paying for the copyrights of the technology they used(Cameras, to be exact), which could at the time only be enforced on the east coast
A part of the GMO debate is companies copyrighting DNA, often overlooked in favour of simpler arguments
One of the big reasons why 'Chinese knock-offs' is a term and idea is because they don't enforce copyright, allowing Chinese companies to create low-quality fakes of western products

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Oh I gave the negative mostly because I disliked the unfounded paranoia in conjunction with the violation of the english language. Plus, while it pertained to the news-cycle, it didn't exactly add much to it. But really, the villager has explained my position better than I could've bothered to.

I think the EU is far too much politics, Ironic, I know.

I kind of half-agree on the copyright thing. Half not.

There are black sheeps abusing copyright, as in pirating on youtube, on boards like 4chan, on many more places. There are people hailing pirating as a virtue. Copyright is not innately wrong, for it spurrs creativity. Its excess is the problem.
I've seen my games stolen and hosted on websites without credit or back-links.. My games are free to play, sure, but those websites profit from advertisements whereas I do not. They remove traffic and thus feedback from me, the creator and hurt the creating of new things in a rather tangible way. This is not something that happens to big corporations like Disney and Hollywood alone, this is something that happens to .. I guess all creators that create anything even barely worthwhile.

On the other hand, you got things like youtubes copyright strike system which has proven itself fit as a tool for censorship and the very theft of derivative copyright content it was ment to prevent. Imagine you could do that to pron sites. Now, luckily, Linemarvel has a pre-emptive clause of 'stuff you own or discussion/links only plz', and link-begging is a bannable offense,s o as long as that is enforced.. anyway.

That said, ultimately, we are dealing with old men that barely understand what they are dealing with. Data protection laws, Copyright laws, they are all too little, too late. The Internet is a Genie you can not put back into the bottle. I can set up a VPN and change my location data to outside the EU in a matter of minutes and I'm stoopid.

That, plus all laws can be appealed and not all laws are strictly enforced, far from it. We shall see.

Last edited:

Cyriel

Lurker
Reputation score
That said, ultimately, we are dealing with old men that barely understand what they are dealing with. Data protection laws, Copyright laws, they are all too little, too late. The Internet is a Genie you can not put back into the bottle. I can set up a VPN and change my location data to outside the EU in a matter of minutes and I'm stoopid.
This is the painful truth for a ton of grievances in today's world, yet until those archaic beliefs are removed from positions in power, there's not much recourse to be had.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score
This is the painful truth for a ton of grievances in today's world, yet until those archaic beliefs are removed from positions in power, there's not much recourse to be had.
The sad part is that by the time that those archaic believes finally die out, WE will be those old men and women with archaic beliefs. So in the end, the thing I can best recommend is not to panic, and enjoy what phase of life you're in, to rebel against the old nonsense with fiery spirit, to just kinda lazily observe from the middle and then finally annoy young folks with a refusal to change our ways.

I already plan to claim exeptional nonsense when I'm old, see if people catch it. Something like:

Back in my day we didn't have such things as mobile internet in every home and poket! We needed to buy that at the Supermarket and manually add in our IP, that's what these things were for:

Let's face it, that'll be just as unbelievable as how much data you could fit on to future generations.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
So wait, nobody has tried telling these people that the thing they want is literally impossible at our current level of technology? Akin to teleportation or laz guns?

Do they really think there's some magic box they can plug into the internet and have it resolve intellectual property disputes? Or is it that they think they can force people to install something on their personal computers? I really haven't read up on this as I should...

Byzantine2014

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Laser guns, in experimental stage:

But do agree with rest of what you said slicer, which might make this whole thing more or less just an annoyance... Maybe?

In other news, world's oldest brewery discovered, proving people have been getting hammered for 13,000 years:

Reactions: XSI

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I do believe there's no magic box, but given enough spending you could most certainly comb search algorithms and whatnot. And.. actually, yes, you can force anyone not exeptionally savy with Linux etc to install things.

Ninja_Named_Bob

Mystic Girl
Reputation score
Laser guns, in experimental stage:
Aside the obvious >wikipedia shit-post, I'm guessing we've been tinkering with the idea of a phaser-type weapon since Star Trek first aired? Seems like the kind of thing you would go "oh, that's neat. I wonder if we could bring it into the real world?"

In other news, world's oldest brewery discovered, proving people have been getting hammered for 13,000 years:

I do believe there's no magic box, but given enough spending you could most certainly comb search algorithms and whatnot. And.. actually, yes, you can force anyone not exeptionally savy with Linux etc to install things.
Because everyone wants to spend half their lifetime not just learning how to work with code, but then figuring out how the clusterfuck that is Linux can be personalized with as little headache as possible, right? I'm a retard when it comes to the technical computer shit, and even I know most devs and coders prefer OSX to the shit-show that is Linux. Hell, depression is a preferable experience to whatever Linux is attempting to be.

Shit-posting aside, it's not exactly a secret that particle-acceleration machines exist. The logical outcome of experimenting with making particles go really fast (a terrible understatement) is then trying to fuck with matter to see if we can make it go really fast from one place to another. The real question is, where are my catgirls and warp-capable ships? Pretty sure one of those things should require more attention than it's receiving.