What's new

[WIP - Full] [RJ133508] Knight of Flame Lily Akos [WIP] Update 23/09/17 (50% complete!)

OP
squark

squark

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Re: [RJ133508] Knight of Flame Lily Akos [WIP] Update 26/11/16

ENGTL UPDATED
At long bloody last, eh? This time, it's the entirety of Map008 - The Quest Table file. As always, if I've cocked up somehow, or there's spelling/grammar errors or if there's dialogue that could be expressed better, please don't hesitate to let me know. I wholeheartedly welcome constructive criticism.

Deleted member 39802

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

great to hear good news :) are there any new H-Scenes translated or just the map?

OP
squark

squark

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Just the Quest map for now. I'll get more scenes done when I come across them :)
It was on my list of things to do for a long time... And it took me far, far longer than I would've liked.

Cadgy

Demon Girl
Reputation score
Re: [RJ133508] Knight of Flame Lily Akos [WIP] Update 25/6/16

Still having personal issues to resolve, but I'm also pushing forward with this.
So, I'm close to having enough done to be happy to port a patch. ~8500 lines to go and an update WILL happen. But I'm having TL issues again (even after running it through a Katakana -> Hiragana switcher):

あたしみたいな可愛くてえっちな 子は、男の人のおなねたになってあげないといけないんだから
I know this has already been resolved but this sentence was a great grammar test for me since it covers everything I've learned so far and I wanted to try my hand at it and offer another perspective.

First, you may not always want to convert katakana to hiragana, おなねた isn't really used in japanese from what I can tell but it's katakana counterpart オナネタ is (which means onani material, or masturbation material). I kept coming up with a translation similar to Hab's basing it around ねた (joke, material, contents) but couldn't make sense of it or figure out what the heck the おな was about (some advanced grammar I've yet to learn?), so I typed おなねた into google and it asked if I meant オナネタ and bingo, suddenly everything clicked into place and made sense.

Anyways, I'll try to break it down into it's literal translation as best I can because it's kinda wonky, and then offer a more english sounding translation.

Literal- (About) a charming ecchi girl like me, the fact is (I) must give (them) the favor of becoming men's masturbation material.

Yikes that is a horror show, translating the act of giving and receiving favors in japanese to english is a nightmare for me, and I'm still really struggling with the concept.

Natural English-
"The fact is, it's only natural that a charming ecchi girl like myself just has to become the men's onani material." - This doesn't really do a good job implying a favor but I think it's the most accurate.

or

"The fact is, it's only natural that a charming ecchi girl like myself just has to become onani material for the men." - Favor is implied here but I think it may be kind of a drastic change from the literal sentence?

Also, if neither of these do a good job of fitting in with the context of the conversation, feel free to mix and match elements of the literal translation into something more contextual.

I'm still a novice, so if anyone is reading this and face palming at my stupidity please let me know what I got wrong.

Last edited:

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Well, crap. That makes a lot more sense. I certainly didn't nail that translation then. Oh well - at least I wasn't a million miles out, although I managed to get the perspective of the "ecchi" word wrong too. I probably ought to stop suggesting translations past 3 in the morning.

Anyhow, I will suggest another alternative translation, on the basis that I think both of the one's offered by Cadgy are a bit too literal, and that while "ecchi" could be assumed Japanese knowledge for the target audience, "onani" probably can't be. And frankly, with the proper breakdown of the sentence, neither is really necessary and should be avoided for an English translation because, well... neither word is English.

In any case, the pertinent points of the original text are that Akos is stating she's cute and "being sexy", that she expects males are going to masturbate about her, and that she's happy with that idea (this is the bit where favors come in; where appropriate, I've found that interpreting this as 'consenting to the action/idea' works pretty well). Hence I'd now go for:

"I guess it's to be expected♪
I'm a cute, sexy girl who really flaunts it. Of course the boys are gonna fap about me."

OP
squark

squark

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Fuck.
This is not a bump, I've run afoul of another file that took for-bleedin'-ever. Map008 (y'know, the quest table I was working on for months?) has been summarily destroyed and all that remains of it now is one line. This is actually heartbreaking. I think that happened when I did a test compile before backing up my work. I have no idea why this happens. I don't think I'll hit 100% by Christmas, however. Even if I plough through and put in more work than ever before, I'll only be part way anyhow.
Map307 is 36,244 lines long.
Map319 is 43,174 lines total.
I won't get those done in the next two weeks.

igotnostuffs

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Fuck.
This is not a bump, I've run afoul of another file that took for-bleedin'-ever. Map008 (y'know, the quest table I was working on for months?) has been summarily destroyed and all that remains of it now is one line. This is actually heartbreaking. I think that happened when I did a test compile before backing up my work. I have no idea why this happens.
That one line is probably a line that weren't successfully patched by the program and then suddenly everything gets deleted. Happens to me a few good times before.

I think you can recover the file by using the "rebuild" function with the resulting patched game.

OP
squark

squark

Tentacle God
Reputation score

That was my first idea. While it would replace what was lost, I fear that it would drop untranslated files on top of other, unaffected work. I don't think I can use Rebuild with the translated version.

Thanks though. Habisain dropped me a line and maybe, just maybe he can sort this out.

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

That one line is probably a line that weren't successfully patched by the program and then suddenly everything gets deleted. Happens to me a few good times before.

I think you can recover the file by using the "rebuild" function with the resulting patched game.
Rebuild does not do that. Rebuild replaces the patch structure with the game structure whilst keeping strings in-tact. It's only really useful if you're porting a patch from one game to another, or managed to mess up some untranslated strings.

As to what's happening with this bug - I have no idea. I've tried a lot to reproduce the issue, and never succeeded. Hopefully the work I'm doing now on RPGMaker Trans v5 will fix it though...

As to recovering files - if the patched game from the run that screwed up is available, recovery is possible. So hopefully Squark didn't run the patcher again...

EDIT: While this bug remains at large, a strong recommendation is to have the patch situated in a cloud drive that offers version history. As far as I'm aware, Dropbox, Google Drive and OneDrive all offer this, and if this problem occurs it's a simple matter to revert to a known good version.

Last edited:

igotnostuffs

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

As to what's happening with this bug - I have no idea. I've tried a lot to reproduce the issue, and never succeeded. Hopefully the work I'm doing now on RPGMaker Trans v5 will fix it though...
If this helps, the line that was left will always wound up not translated when playing the game.
That is why I came to that conclusion before.

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Well, I had a brainwave about what might be causing the issue, so I went ahead and uploaded a v4.38_beta which has a sort of fix in it. It's not a good fix - it just crashes should it detect a situation which looks suspicious - but it might help. At the least it won't cause data loss, if I'm right. (The problem I've thought of relates to case insensitive file systems, like that on Windows, and accidentally making a minor change to a context within a file - this might be the reason for the problem). Not in a position to test it properly (no access to a useful Windows machine), but probably a good idea to grab v4.38 beta and use it instead.

OP
squark

squark

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Well, fuckadoodledoo.
Something borked tremendously, so I'm gonna have to retype the whole ******* thing.

Sorry, gang. Gonna take a lot longer than I thought.
It seems Win7 didn't bother storing a previous version of this file for some reason. :(

*digs* I say the whole thing, but I found a previous version that had about 1000 lines finished. Yeah, 1000/9696, but it's 1000 less than I would've otherwise have to redo.

*EDIT*
After digging through a previous previous version I had lying around (which was up fairly recent, go figure), Map008 is the ONLY one I have to redo. Once that's done, it's back to business as usual.

Last edited:

Deleted member 39802

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

i find it impressive that besides loosing some of your progress you still continue. You have my respect for that :) Keep it up man!

OP
squark

squark

Tentacle God
Reputation score

It's going. Slowly, but going.
I actually think I'm doing a better job with the rebuild of Map008.
Once that's done, things should speed up. Thanks :)

OP
squark

squark

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Okay, I'm almost done with rebuilding the Quest table.
What I want to ask is this:
Do people want me to leave in the story branch mission identifiers or not?

For example, they're denoted like this: (強)
Do you guys and gals want these left in and translated or removed?

rizo

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

Personally I'd rather it translated. It takes me out of it a bit when I'm playing an English patch and there are random Japanese characters in there.

OP
squark

squark

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I'll get on it. That should only take a couple of minutes.

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

If space is a constraint, it might be worth raiding the Unicode Symbol Table ( , also try the dingbats section) for appropriate pictograms you can use. Most of them should work in RPGMaker.

OP
squark

squark

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Appreciated, but there's more than enough space and it's more so that three of four branch tags I've found don't make sense. One of them seems to be a fragment of a word and the other is a little ambiguous. It'll require some testing before I can say "Yep, these seem right"... Actually, I have a plan.

*enacts plan*
Okay. Rikaichan helped with one, but agrees with Jisho, Google, Bing and Honyaku on the other one, so I'm going to assume it's right (however, I think it's actually meant to mean something else). But on the fragment?
(レ) I can't get much either way on its own, other than potential or something to do with the musical scale.

Example:
重要任務書Ⅷ(レ) => Mission VIII (Le). It makes no sense how it is.
One question, though (and it's probably a stupid one). Can RPGmaker trans actually display characters like Ⅷ? It looks better.

Last edited: