The Never King (dragoon93041)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spoiler

"Heheh, well I wasn't serious," Bihl replied, before lapsing into silence. His explanation only seemed to perplex her, but she accepted it without further question, however, shrugging and letting the conversation drift into brief silence before the problem of someone coming down the hunting path stopped them again.

(Heh, Nesak probably wouldn't know what a human is either. There aren't any on Arlos yet. Woodcraft Check = 1 success. Stealth = 1 for Nesak and 5 for Bihl vs 5 for ??? and Perception = 3 for Nesak and 1 for Bihl vs 6 for ???)

"Uhhh.... Shit. That's true," Bihl replied, before shifting back into the woods. All that Nesak knew about scent tracking was to avoid being upwind of whatever you were trying to hide from, and with the use of that little tidbit he led Bihl a ways away. They were just barely close enough from their hiding place to see the figures of two humanoid beings that were much taller than Nesak or Bihl walking down the trail, carrying the carcass of some beast that Nesak didn't recognize between them. They were muttering to themselves in low, guttural voices, too low for Nesak to quite make out what they were saying, though what few words he did catch suggested that they were either griping about or abusing a female.

The pair passed without bothering Bihl or Nesak, leaving them behind, and once the sounds of movement and their voices had faded Bihl breathed a deep sigh of relief. "Whoo... That was close... So, what now?"

"Who are you!?" A voice demanded, emanating from somewhere in the nearby bushes, though Nesak couldn't tell which or even specifically from what direction. It was a female voice, one that spoke with commanding authority that threatened consequences if a satisfactory answer wasn't quickly forthcoming. Bihl jumped in surprise and knocked her head on a nearby tree branch, leaving her quickly sinking back down and rubbing the top of her head as she looked around in suspicion, giving Nesak the opportunity to speak first for the two of them.
    sigpic
    Spoiler

Moar Pics for characters and stuff

Comment

"We'll ke-" Nesak was interrupted by the voice. So much for stealth. They had been found pretty quickly and whoever it was had the advantage. If Nesak or Bihil tried anything, they'd probably get an arrow in the throat so Nesak answered fast "We're travelers. My name is Nesak and this is Bihil. I'm on a pilgrimage and she is accompanying me as a traveling companion.. We were passing through and hoping to avoid any kind of confrontation. Neither of us wants a fight." He turned as he spoke, attempting to find the source of the voice. He at least wanted to know which direction to run away if the situation devolved.

"We're sorry if we have trespassed or anything like that but we were really just trying to get through." Nesak really wished he knew more about the wolfir at a time like this. Maybe if his father was a little more open to diplomacy, he could have known whether the wolf-people have a tendency to eat kobolds or londorians. He hoped not.
      Last edited by dragoon93041; 2 weeks ago.
      4-chan. Don't.

Comment

Spoiler

"What is a kobold doing with one of the formori? Your kind are at war over who gets to live in that fetid swamp to the South, are they not?" The voice demanded, only growing more hostile while seeming to come from every direction at once. There was no telling where the speaker was, whether they were alone or supported, or whether they were near or far; they were clearly throwing their voice, and doing it well.

"You come through the territory of MY people, and yet you try to do so through secrecy... Poorly. It is no wonder that neither of your people could maintain territory in lands worth fighting for," the voice declared derisively, interrupting any effort to answer the former question. "But... You are unarmed. And neither of you look able to hunt as such. And you are on a pilgrimage you say... Such things are important, and sacred. Were it up to me, you could continue on your way," they continued in a much more even tone.

Then they stepped out into the open, and a wild woman of breathtaking statuesque beauty stood over Nesak and Bihl. She was certainly wolfir, but one of the more humanoid-looking ones as opposed to the sort with the head of the wolf. Her canine features were only in the ears and the tail, both of pale silver to match her long partially braided hair but with streaks of black. Her facial features were angular and well defined, like those of a noblewoman, and on her cheeks were a pair of markings; bands, the larger atop the smaller, either tattooed on or drawn in some sort of dark blue warpaint. Her skin was sunbronzed with a slight reddish hue, and her figure was more like something to be expected from a goddess; an hourglass shape with a full bust and wide hips, the trace hints of well defined abdominal muscles visible on her taut stomach, muscular legs and shoulders, and all of it was cover only in a short skirt and a chestpiece that barely contained her generous assets made from shaved elkskin.

Gazing down at them were golden eyes that practically glowed, pinpricks of crimson and jade visible just barely among the gleaming yellow. The woman's expression was a flat frown, suggesting that she would put up with no argument, and in her hand was clutched a spear with an obsidian head, the butt end currently stuck in the ground such that the sharpened black stone was pointed skyward. "Unfortunate for all of us that it is not up to me," she continued, "you are outsiders, and these are dangerous times... Strange times. The shaman has demanded that any unusual strangers be taken back to the village for her... Examination. The gods are at work, she says... So, you come with me. You will not be harmed, unless you bring ill upon my people." She paused, eyeing them coolly and waiting for an answer, and Bihl glanced towards Nesak blankly. She probably hadn't understood a word that the wolfir woman had said, leaving the kobold to respond in whatever manner he might like to the hunter's demands.
        sigpic
        Spoiler

Comment

Nesak bristled when the wolfir insulted his tribe and the land they had bled for but held his tongue until the end. He had hoped that she would have been as misinformed on his people as he was on hers but that hope was misplaced. Argh. These foolish dogs. All Nesak wanted to do was complete his journey. Why must did her tribe's shaman have to become so paranoid? Unless... perhaps Sadim had rivals amongst the spirits and gods. Maybe the shaman was being advised by one that wished to stop him. If so, going with the warrior would be exceptionally dangerous. If her shaman spoke against him, he doubted he would be able to argue against any accusations.

On the other hand, he was even more doubtful that the warrior would be moved by any argument here. In addition, the female said she would have let him pass, given other circumstances. He did not wish to harm one who respected the spirits. Plus, there was the fact that even if Nesak acted, the warrior might well prove capable enough to defeat him. She was certainly a beauty but she acted as someone very sure of their abilities. First he translated to Bihl "She's not going to let us through. Her tribe's shaman has declared that all strangers be brought before her. She also says that we won't be harmed if we go peacefully. Hopefully this will be done quickly, then we can continue." He then spoke to the warrior "Very well. My name is Nesak and this is Bihl.. Such suspicions are without merit but we will go with you.." He had considered lying about his name in fears that they might know the names of his father's sons but he doubted her tribe had that much information.
          4-chan. Don't.

Comment

Spoiler

"Ohhhh.... Uhhhh, alright. But, uhh, if we get eaten or something, I'm still blaming you!" Bihl replied nervously once Nesak had explained what the wolfir that had come upon them had spoken.

"Very well, Nesak and Bihl... I am Linde, of the Blue Woods tribe. That way," she replied, lifting her spear and pointing in the direction that they'd seen the hunters going before. "We will take the hunting path. You likely saw it earlier. And... Please, don't try running off. I would catch you," she continued, and so long as Nesak didn't cause any trouble she would simply prod them along in the right direction. She could move quite a bit faster than either of them, but remained in the back to guide them along, keeping both in sight. Bihl would sneak glances Nesak's way regularly, seeking any sign from him that they would be doing something about their apparent captivity, but if he did nothing then she would remain passive as well.

If he made no effort to break away, Nesak and Bihl would eventually arrive at a wolfir village. It was a different sort of settlement to what he might be used to; while not settled permanently, the wolfir tended to move from established camp to established camp, only making an exodus every few months. As such, the buildings in which they slept were larger huts made of wood, wicker and fronds rather than the collapsible tents that Nesak's people used to guard themselves from the elements. The wolfir were a physically inconsistent people, ranging wildly from looking humanoid to looking monstrous, and Linde's tribe was seemingly of a fairly balanced mix of the two. There were sentries, armored in wood and hide, at the edge of the camp. They glared briefly as the group passed, but their gazes lingered not on Nesak or Bihl but on Linde, who nonetheless bore the stares without any apparent reaction.

The other members of the tribe busied about, only sparing the odd trio the barest of glances, and even then only lingering for long if paths were crossed. "This way." They were led through the modest village, past a cooking pit where the kill they'd seen being carried earlier was now being prepared, towards the center. There, they were led not into the largest dwelling, but into the smallest, the only tent they'd seen. It was decorated in charms and fetishes that hung from the hexagonal dwelling, and strange symbols were drawn in blues and reds on the shaved elkskin. "In," Lindea prompted, and Bihl glanced again at Nesak before leading the way in. Short as the two of them were, even they had to crawl to get into the tent. Inside was a miasma of burnt herbs and incense that immediately assailed Nesak's nose, a low fire simmering in the center of the room over which a basin made of baked clay hung on a spit. The floor was covered in furs, unnecessary for warmth given the sweltering, almost suffocating warmth of the tent.

Across from the entrance was a wolfir woman, more human than wolf along the lines of Linde, clad only in a loin cloth and a headress made from the pelt of a great grey bear which hid the upper half of her face. Topless, the shaman's large breasts and stomach were bare, but also covered in lines in dyes akin to the ones staining the tent and in many of the same symbols. The woman's chin tilted up as Nesak and Bihl settled into seated positions across from her, and she shook slightly as if coming out of a stupor, but it wasn't until Linde had followed them in and sat cross legged as well, nose wrinkling with displeasure at the scent hanging in the air, that the woman elected to speak; "Strangers... Outsiders... Those of other blood... What is your purpose? Why do you journey through our lands?" The woman's voice was a low rasp, and the words were delivered slowly and carefully.
            sigpic
            Spoiler

Comment

"Don't worry, I won't let us get eaten." Nesak understood Bihil's hesitance was understandable but hopefully this will be easy enough and mean that they won't have to dodge patrols the entire time they are traveling through the area. As they walked, Nesak activated his ability to gain information on Linde as he had on Bihil. He needed to know what he was dealing with. As they entered the settlement, he noticed the gazes on Linde. She must be awfully important to bring strangers in without being questioned. Or maybe strangers were just common enough that they had a system for dealing with them and Linde was their guard.

When they entered the tent, Nesak immediately wanted to step back out. What kind of person could spend time in here without running out of water quickly? The person who they had come to meet was the shaman Linde had mentioned. Nesak would have to be on his guard here. "I am on a pilgrimage. I received vision of a mountain that is far from here and I am seeking it. My traveling companion is Bihil. She is unusual amongst the invaders in that she is prefers peace to battle. We do not seek to harm any of your tribe, simply wishing to pass through unhindered." As he spoke, he activated his magic within his body to gain information on the shaman, as he had done earlier on Linde.

Spoiler
              4-chan. Don't.

Comment

Working...
              X