What's new

Shadows over Rosemont

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Beams of light cast through long broken windows and overgrown spires. There is symbols of the sun and a staff, but it's hard to even guess what faith was worshipped here, now. Theres a few recountings of course and the most reliable states that it was a god of fire and knowledge, one that had both priests and mages as followers, the reason you've been drawn here.

There are a lot of possibilities in such ruins, even if plunderers have taken whatever they thought valuable and time if not creatures have destroyed much of the rest, there was always things that seemed worthless to the uneducated, but held secrets, power. Perhaps the power to open the tiny, ornate chest you found on that necromancer. Of course, the easy way would be to simply destroy the chest, but that might damage its contents, plus, you checked it, it had an abjuration spell upon it you could not yet identify,.. meaning there was a chance opening it by force could backfire.. quite spectacularly. You'd be tempted to pick the lock.. if there -was- any. Still, perhaps a master at lockpicking would at least have an idea as to-

You are shaken out of your thoughts by the noise of a blade being drawn. Your companion, Melana the Black Lion, standing up into a calm, but readied position. Standing about 30 ft away from you by a fallen over pillar, she must have heard something you did not.

However, she calmly lowers her blade as a robed, lightly armored man approaches.
He carries a blade and wears the insignia of the church of Aria, a spiked sun, furthemore, his attire hints at him being an Inquisitor of the church, albeit not a high ranking one. Still, to deliver messages through the wildernis has become dangerous enough outside of the main roads, and you are far away from civilization, in the far east of your fathers lands.

His expression is disciplined, bordering the stern sombreness many experienced inquisitors display once they are accustomed to their.. line of duty, but displays relief. You wonder what this is about, as he presents a scroll.. a keen eyed glance reveals that it bears the insignia of your family, the arrow of Markus Rosemont. Ironic perhaps, as neither you, nor your parents or grandparents were good archers. Well, you heard tales about your Grandmother being a mean shot when angered, but all with a wink and a laugh from your grandfather, so how much of those were true you could never guess.

Still, your father knew you'd be traveling, so why send after you? Only one way to find out. Melana stands aside, indicating you, as the Messenger approaches, bowing briefly. At court this would have been a sign of disrespect from one of his station, but here in the wildernis, sometimes there was little time for formal greetings. "Lady Rosemont? I bring urgent news of your father." He hesitated, sighed for a short moment, then added: "I spent over a days worth finding you, and as you know it takes near another day to travel form here to Auralis, so they are almost three days old I fear."

The Messenger bowed, then, displaying some formal training, stepped back in such a matter that prevented him from reading anything of the message, yet waited, in case you had a message for him to deliver back. The letter was in .. somewhat good condition, seal unbroken.
Melana, meanwhile, did the opposite. You had noticed that about her. She respected rank and tradition, but was.. impatient about some of their impractical applications. A part of you wonders if thats why your father chose her to accompany you. She certainly hadn't complained about you being a noble after you proved that you weren't a fragile little princess to her.

"This is odd." Melana looked at the letter, almost suspicious. "I know there is magic that allows one to contact you, so why a letter that can be lost,.. damaged? Well, one way to find out.." Indeed.. though if you let Melana stay or read the letter by yourself, demanding distance, was up to you.

One way or the other, the seal cracked open to reveal.. not your fathers almost artistic handwriting but a much more crammed and minimalistic hand.. you think you've seen it somewhere.. The letter was addressed to:

~Lady Edora Rosemont, firstborn heir to the county of Rosemont~ Your proper title, a proper mouthful. Also, worrysome. This was too official for a late birthday greeting or whatnot.

Dear Edora,

I hope this message reaches you safe and soon. Your father has fallen ill. I know this must be suprising, after all he was working hard but healthy as you left, but I implore you, make a hasty return to Auralis. Not to bring to you worry without reason, but the manner of illness which has gripped your fathers heart, both swift and sudden, troubles me with dark suspicions. We both know your father as a kind man, but many here never got to see him as the hero he was, but the failing bureocrat that had too much responsibility loaded upon his shoulders. Many, even within our borders lust for more power and yet if they were to gain it it might be to everyones detriment.

It is with great regret that I write these lines, for I fear you will have to fight a fight neither me nor your father were fit for, were words are weapons and your enemy smiles at you. I wont lie, I'd much prefer meeting a werewolf that wants to tear me limb from limb than a diplomat.

But it is not my choice to make either way, there are some officials that demand to see your father and are not content with my word as his majordomo. Moreso, there are some decisions which are not mine to rightfully make, and with which I am loathe to burden your father the way he is right now.

I implore you, make haste to return to your families estate.

Vincent

Ah, thats were you knew that writing from. Vincent Askarten, your fathers de-facto right hand, a trainer for you, well, as far as teaching you how to hold and aim the crossbow without hurting yourself counted as training. He shared a deep kinship with your father, both having lost their wifes to a raid of monsters just before the great war, then served together, with your father in command, even if Vincent had more life experience.
He was down to earth, trustworthy.. and mistrusting of mages. Not to an unhealthy degree, but he was the kind of man that understood weapons and strategy, not arcane theorems and if in doubt, he relied upon what he understood.

Both Melana and the Messenger waited patiently while you read.

((OOC: Please attach your charsheet to your first post in spoilers so I can dig it up easily.))

Last edited:

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Shadows over Rosemont

Character Sheet
Name: Edora Rosemont
Human Female
Level 6 Wizard (Transmuter)
Noble Background
Alignment: LN

HP: 27/27
HD: 5d6
AC: 12 (15 with mage armor)

STR 8 -1
DEX 14 +2
CON 12 +1
INT 18 +4
WIS 10 +0
CHA 14 +2

Prof Bonus: +3
Proficiency: Dagger, dart, sling, quarterstaff, light crossbows, Gaming Set - Dragon Chess

Saving Throws:
STR -1
DEX +2
CON +1 (advantage on concentration)
INT +7
WIS +3
CHA +2

Skills:
Acrobatics +2
Animal Handling +0
[Arcana] +7
Athletics -1
Deception +2
[History] +7
Insight +0
Intimidation +2
[Investigation] +7
Medicine +0
Nature +4
Perception +0 (advantage with Eagle Statue)
Performance +2
[Persuasion] +5
Religion +4
Sleight o hand +2
Stealth +2
Survival +0

Traits:
Spellcasting: Attack = +7, DC = 15

Transmuation Savant, halve time and gold needed for copying transmuation spells into spellbook.
Minor Alchemy - may temporarily change physical properties of non-magical object from one substance to another. For every 10 minutes spending on the alchemy, can transform up to one cubic foot of material. After 1 hour, or until concentration lost, it reverts to original substance.

Human Feat: War Caster (advantage on Concentration checks, can use somatic component while armed, may cast spell as reaction on an Attack of Opportunity)

Transmuter's Stone: May spend 8 hours to create a transmuter's stone. While you or someone you give the stone to holds it, you gain the benefit of the stone, chosen from the list below during its creation. You may only have one transmuter's stone at a time, and if you create a new one, the old one ceases to function.
1. Darkvision 60'
2. Increase base speed by 10' when unencumbered.
3. Proficiency in Constitution saving throws.
4. Gain Resistance to one of Fire/Cold/Acid/Lightning/Thunder damage.

Spell Slots:
Level 1: 4/4
Level 2: 3/3
Level 3: 3/3

Spell Book:
Cantrips
Firebolt
Shocking Grasp
Mending
Light

1st Level
Mage Armor
Shield
Magic Missile

Charm Person
Burning Hands
Detect Magic
Thunderwave
Feather Fall

2nd Level
Alter Self
Enlarge/Reduce
Levitate
Knock

3rd Level
Slow
Haste
Counterspell
Lightning Bolt

GEAR:

Quarterstaff
"Maestro" (Dagger+1, intelligent)
"Eagle Statue" - Advantage on Perception (WIS) checks, may turn into an eagel or giant eagle form.
"Quill of Answering" - Answers one random question a day.
Mage Gloves (Focus)
Spellbook
Scholar's Pack
Fine Clothes
25GP
Signet Ring
Scroll of Pedigree

Edora had been stepping through the ruins, cataloging her findings. Even if nothing was found immediately, an analysis of the markings here could uncover what might have been taken by looters, and determine if any pursuit into asking about in the black market for fenced items of a particular description would be worth her time. Some more action-minded types might find the analytical work boring, but not Edora. She had grown accustomed to what it took to uncover and impress arcane secrets by now, and put that work ethic to good use in her own pursuits.

The approach of the inquisitor was an unfortunate interruption. She bore the church no grudge, so long as its inquisitors stayed clear of her research. Although she was not a particularly devout woman, she acknowledged the existence of the divine, and paid respects due to the generally approved pantheon. She was not fond of priests asking for tithes however.

She took the message in hand, gave the priest a cryptic, scanning glance, her eyes roaming meticulously over him to see if anything were unusual or amiss about his presentation.

"How did you end up finding me?" She asked calmly. She found it prudent to ask questions. People had tried to trick her before.

As he answered, Melena approached to get a closer look at the letter. Edora peered at the seal and looked for any tell tale signs of a glyph of warding or some other nasty surprise. Once satisified, she broke the seal and glanced down at the letter, responding to Melena as she did so.

"Magical communication across great distances requires more than just a casual study of magic, and mages who know it do not offer a Sending spell for free. There are also limitations as to what can be said. Something sent by a messenger is more practical usually - however, given the content of this letter, I imagine this might be such an occasion for its use."

She mulled the letter over in her mind.

"For a well-meaning majordomo, he is quite the worrywort," she said, having read the letter quickly and leaving it in Melena's hands as she finished reading.

"So. My father taken unexpectedly ill. His loyal retainer writing to me and not sending for a Sending spell to call me home. And it seems I am needed to settle disputes because of my position, even though it is a majordomo's every right to be a speaker for the Count when he is ill."

She scribbled some notes in her parchment so that she wouldn't forget what she had been working on prior to this interruption.

"What are your thoughts, Malena? Who among the court would Vincent be referring to so anxiously? The mayors? The clergy? Any of the nearby Baronies?"

In her own mind, Edora went through logically and rationally, wondering who would have the means, the motive, and the opportunity to poison her father, if indeed Vincent's suspicions were correct. [Appropriate Check for this? Any way to base it off of Intelligence?]

Last edited:
OP
Pervy

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

(oh, like the new picture even better, fits her, for now.^^)
Old ruins, east borders of Rosemont

"The old fashioned way lady Rosemont, I headed out eastwards at the Majordomos orders, coming upon your trail by asking in the village of Brownstone you passed through, then a couple of lumberjacks, then, well, this place was run down but easy to find from afar." His story checked out and nothing seemed immediatly amiss. He was a young man, somewhere in his twenties, sometimes the work of inquisitors had them age faster in apperance than one could tell. He held himself with a calm, bordering grim discipline, not too unlike Melana, though he seemed a fair deal more tense.

"Hmn. You are the magical expert." Melana accepted, taking the letter and glancing over it herself, before carefully folding it up. "Either he is easily worried, or there is a lot to worry about. Should I dispose of the sensitive information?" She crossed her arms at the question, seeming thoughtful. She was the type to think a question over for a few moments, before taking action. Those that jumped all too quick into action did not live long in the wildernis.

"In my limited opinion, the Majordomo worries about your fathers state more than the political situation. A sudden illness could mean poison, but also potentially curse. If it is a curse, that makes the clergy most suspicious.. including the one that delivered this letter to you. Then again, that in itself absolves them again. If the clergy planned anything uncouth, the letter would have certainly disappeared before reaching you. I thus conclude, without better knowledge, they are least likely involved.

You needn't fear any of the mayors, true, some living far off refuse to show proper respect to your family, but at the same time, they don't seem to have the ambition. I don't see how the count could have crossed them.
That, leaves the option of poison. Exploring it, you are not at a want for suspects. The merchants can afford an assasine, as could the Black Rose Barony. Of course, you could cut out the midldeman by remembering that even in your innocent county, there are those that prey on the weak and foolish. Of course a guild of thieves and cutthroats would be the first suspects, so they'd be at risk too, but if your father has crossed a certain line of respect with the wrong people, someone might have decided that you might end up being more.. agreeable."

((OOC: Intelligence is indeed apropriate, though intelligence is used to sort facts you have. If you have only very general information, you can only come to general conclusions, feel free to give it a roll. ^^))

Last edited:

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Intelligence (Investigation?) roll = 11+7 = 18; only 15 if it is a pure INT roll.

Old Ruins

Nodding curtly to the Inquisitor's explanation, Rovana made a note to herself about making a more dedicated attempt to travel incognito if she wished to not have future interruptions on her acquisition expeditions.

"Perhaps it would be best if we had an evoker on call to perform Sendings in the future. I really ought to buy a scroll for that too."

She made a note to herself to search up prices for spell scrolls. She hadn't bothered expanding her spell book, but there came a time in every serious mage's life where they needed to take advantage of the versatility inherent to magical study. Best to be prepared for anything... which reminded her, she ought to see about some abjuration ward spells as well. She scribbled down another note, the tips of her fingers going black with ink.

"Right. Now then. Poison, curse or any other form of malady, if it was bestowed upon my father with malice, then it is only the first step in a sequence. My father, bless him, is already old. A patient person could wait 10 or 15 years and time would do the work for them. Why now? Who benefits? Who can't afford to wait. If it's a crime, it's one of calculation, not of passion."

Melana went through the list of suspects.

"The merchants want better trade deals, lowered tariffs, and increased protection from bandits. Lawlessness doesn't benefit them. The Criminal Guildhouses haven't approached me prior to this - so if it is one of them, they're either intending to bump me off as well or they're quite crap at this assassination business. If it were my cousins, the Black Roses, they would have to know that they would come under suspicion should both my father and myself be killed off. They cannot inherit if the King does not grant them high lordship under suspicion of treason, and the Church of St. Aria could well claim 'influentium malificus.'"

The heiress, closed her satchel of parchments and put away her other equipment.

"In either case, it won't do to stay around here. We should be careful on the journey back though."

OP
Pervy

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Old ruins, east borders of Rosemont

What Melana said sounded reasonable, then again, with the letter arriving delayed and priests having such a thing as scrying magic, perhaps the church was exepecting to not be blamed. Really, at this point you lack information to decide who may or may not be after your father. You can't in or exclude anyone with confidence.

"I'll remind you to aquire such a scrolls at the next opportunity." Melana nodded. "Calculated. Well, a reason to strike now could be us. This place is the furthest away of your county centre, excluding Isselbach to the far south, there is no way to make it back in less than half a day even with horses.. and at this point in time, we'd have to push the horses to ride through the night." Melana theorized. Of course you hadn't come to this faraway ruin without horses, Melanas white and yours a checked brown, currently grazing somewhere at the ruins entrance.

"The evidence? Do you wish of me to dispose of letter.. or messenger?" Melana patiently asked. That was the thing about her, she was dutiful, but didn't hesitate to offer... nastier options as well. "It is my duty to assume the worst for your savety, which would indeed mean 'bumping' you off as well, as unlikely as it might be. As for The Barony of Black Roses.. you are right of course, but what if they somehow assured the support of either the church, or, worse, someone at the kings court. They needn't take your place by right or might, if theres a... bureocratic misshappening, sure, people would talk, but some would rather be an infamous Count than a not famous Baron..." Melana shrugged, sheating her blade again, her shield coming to rest over her back. "Perhaps we could question the messenger about how the church currently views you and your father? I make no secret of my disdain towards them, but I know not to make an enemy of them at least."

"And think about it from a darker perspective, the merchants have asked for greater protection yes.. but the difference of a protective and an offensive force is simply being able to claim that you were attacked first." She smirked briefly, but then stepped forwards.

If she wasn't ordered to.. take action against the Messenger, he'd accompany you two out along the way through the ruins, unaware of the worrysome message he had just delivered. "If you have no further use for me, we could share the way back up to Brownstone. The villagers told me of suspicious tracks and lost lifestock and asked for an Inquisitors hand, I promised to return after I had delivered the message." He suggested, his own horse, bearing the churchs sun symbol on its saddle, standing besides yours.

The clouds gathered overhead, outside of the ruins one could better hear the noises of the wildernis around them, birds chirping overhead, insects buzzing. It would take the afternoon to reach the nearest village, from thereon Edora could push on to an old travelers inn, if she hurried make almost half the way back to her estate before the last light of the day faded. It was dangerous to push her horses beyond that point, whilest the street towards the capital was somewhat fortified the nights were dark and a grouchy coachman with a crossbow on his lap was the most friendly encounter one could hope for
Melana had reached out, taking the reigns of her horse and saddling up carefully, after all, she required a properly trained warhorse considering her heavy armor. "M'lady, remember, these are the wildlands of the county, should we make haste? I usually prefer to delay our path towards the least dangerous, I'd prefer to keep this approach, but if you decide the situation demands it we could merely press on ahead. Most animals should be driven off by three horses riding.." what Melana left out, was, of course, there was worse things than animals sometimes. Then again, during the day you should be save..

(Seems you're thinking about what the pirate is gonna do next. :p)

Last edited:

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Edora waved Melana away from the priest.

"You can destroy the letter, but not the man. Eliminating the priest only causes unnecessary problems. And I'm not discounting anyone from suspicion just yet, only considering what would make the most sense."

She mounted her brown coarser and waited for Melana to follow suit. She looked the other way at the young priest and nodded her consent to him riding with her through the wilderness.

"We'll press on and try to make for the traveler's inn, Melana. That will provide us the safety and rest we'll need. Then we'll reach my father's estate tomorrow."

[Will try for what I understand to be the moderate option - not riding all night, but trying to get to the midway point.]

OP
Pervy

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Eastern Wildernis -> Brownstone Farmlands

Melana answered, obviously out of hearing range: "I would not have suggested it if it caused any serious problems. Inquisitors get lost in the wildernis, but of course, your decision." She seemed minorly disappointed.

Pressing on it is. She nodded, snapping her horses reigns.

You pressed on, through the wildernis of Rosemont. The land, a part of you might find, was beautiful in its untamed wildernis. The afternoon passes more or less uneventful, with the Inquisitor being a silent, grim companion unless spoken to, Melana not much better, leaving Edora to her thoughts. The clouds above had gathered for a brief shower of rain above their heads, luckily nothing that could push past the hooded mage, with Melana stoically enduring the weather. It did not take long until they neared the Village Brownstone, the Inquisitor bowing his head when you seemed determined to ride right past the little farming village protected by a large wooden fence, Melana nodding, guiding your way on a shortcut from Village to Inn as the sky cleared up, the late afternoon sun warming and drying you up again.

"Hooh!" Melanas raised hand, slowing you down and pulling you out of your thoughts as she looked ahead with concern, somewhere in the wildernis beyond the Brownstone farmlands. It didn't take you long to spy what Melana had seen.. odd, black pools of liquid, reminding you of ink almost, but of higher viscosity, some sticking to small broken branches and leaves. more fascinatingly, wherever the goo was, it had warped whatever it touched, leafes turning red, sticks growing almost fleshy looking pustules.

"Fascinating.. have you ever seen this in person before?" Melana asked. "Thats pure corruptive energy. The lifeblood of demons. A lot of it, too.. But how can it be here, whats its source?" As if on cue, there was a mixture of a gurgle and a growl coming from a thicket ahead, with Melana exhaling and closing her eyes for a moment. "I shall not ask such questions again.." She decided.

(Initative check, Melana hits a lucky/wary 16. I decided to steal a page out of Star wars book and add an advantage/disadvantage roll chance, so you get your first random encounter with an advantage, namely, you can dismount and cast a spell before seeing what creature you meet. Of course, you don't even have to fight, fleeing is almost always an option, but might have consequences down the line,
In this case, you might have just stumbled upon the creature the Inquisitor was ment to hunt. You two can likely handle it, but can he?

Last edited:

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Eastern Wilderness -> Brownstone Farmlands

"No serious, immediate problems that you can foresee, Melana. I'm aware that you have a mind as sharp as your blade, and I respect it. But I see no reason to take an unnecessary risk. The information that he may have been privy to will be made public before too long - that my father has taken ill. Everything else is speculation and hearsay. His death risks more than it buys us."

She gave the mercenary bodyguard a sidelong glance. "I gather your disappointment stems more from a personal dislike for the clergy than it does my hesitance for wanton murder."

It was a line of inquiry that Melana may not take the bait for. She was reticent to speak of her past, but Edora was not a fool. She knew from the way Melana was interested in holy and unholy relics that she must have some sort of animosity with the more conservative members of the Church of St. Aria. Perhaps one day, Edora would come to understand what that rift was about.

The ride through the wilderness of her county was pleasant, though tinged with the tension of knowing it was still dangerous out here. Beyond the beautiful ascetic, the world was still corrupted by demonic energies from the last great war against the forces of the Abyss. Unfortunately the clouds circled overhead and it began to rain. She was still cold, despite having her cowl protecting her. Melana rode in stoic fashion. They would need to warm by the hearthfire in the inn later that evening. It might be a good chance for the two of them to talk more in depth.

Her thoughts were interrupted by Melana's warning and the appearance of demon ichor. A potent substance that was of interest to Edora - for its transmutative properties and use in potential experiments. However, the viscous fluid in its present state was evidence of a living, corrupted being somewhere nearby.

[Initiative roll: 16+2=18]

"Not in person, but I don't intend to let this opportunity pass by. I've some vials that I --"

There was a noise from the thicket, and quick as a flash, Edora was already murmuring the words and somatic symbols for her spell, her mage gloves glowing as she transmuted the time bubble around Melana.

"Festina Viasyni Abhij Vala!" she intoned and an aura of haste appeared around the raven haired bodyguard.

((Haste: Speed doubled, AC up by 2, Advantage on Dexterity Saving Throws, may take an additional action per round which must be used for Attack, Dash, Hide, Disengage, or use Object.))

Last edited:
OP
Pervy

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Brownstone Farmlands, odd thicket

After the Inquisitor had departed, Melana have a grim smile and responded, avoiding talking about her past, but happy to expand on her action "I have reason not to like the church and wanton murder disgusts me, as I am sure it does you. On my honor, I would never propose you be accomplice to any possible crime.

However, I would never have committed any crime."
Melana suggested. "Had you ordered me to kill the witness, it would not have been a crime of murder, but me following the command of a noble to execute one who she deemed a traitor to the county, which, considering this County is still technically a military borderland, is a completely legal act following the treaty of Dormont, article seven. Perhaps a misjudgement on your part, but utterly understandable, you were in emotional turmoil after recieving the message. And that the potential traitor also happened to be a member of the church I dislike was, as far as the law is concerned, merely a lucky coincidence." The Black Lion explained, showing an indepth knowledge of the laws of the Kingdom, well, at least in how far she knew how to use them to her benefit... Though, sadly, before Edora would have a chance to try and find out more about her companion, they happened upon the corrupted thicket.

Melana nodded in agreement at not letting the opportunity pass by, before feeling the spell wash over her, without a word dismounting, using the magical energy infused in her to draw sword and shield as well as position herself between the thicket and Edora, plus horse. "I'd like to request a vial or two of yours, M'lady." She nodded.

For a moment, she touched her chest. With Edoras knowledge of magic, she easily suspected Melana was wearing a holy symbol below her armor, though she had never seen it, perhaps there was a reason for that. She had also not seen Melana use spells ahead of combat, usually limiting herself to healing magic as necessary. Few would blame her, a demon, even an injured one, was not a fight against a wild beast, or even a stray undead. "Guide my blade, host of splendor, be my might, host of darkness, rise and brace yourself, let my foe behold our magnificence, let my blade cut through their weakness. Smile from below as I do my duty! Divine Favor." Melana chanted, her blades edge glittering in a darker shade of purple.

As she did so, the .. creature broke forth. At first sight, one might mistake it for some sort of wolf, spikey, with things oozing out of it, little tendrils licking from its surface.. almost bipedal.. alright, it was not that much like a wolf at all, but a part of ones mind hoped the truth before them was not the real answer.

Melana remained calm and stoic at the sight of a creature that neither of the two had ever seen, perhaps some creation of demonic corruption running rampant?
She let the creature come.. and that it did, rushing, charging through the undergrowth with a growl that was either pained.. or lustful, one struggled to tell.
However, before the creature would reach Melana, Edora had the chance to try one more spell.
Initative: Edora -> The Creature -> Melana

Last edited:

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Edora may not have been the most dedicated theological scholar in the realm, but even she got the feeling from Melana's prayer that there were some heretical requests being made in this paladin's divine favor.

What did that matter now? They had a common enemy. And it was heading right for them.

Edora operated best when supporting companions, so she would prefer to let Melana unleash her potent attacks while augmented by Edora's transmutations. Just in case the creature attacked her as well, Edora threw up a basic abjuration aura to protect herself.

"Armis!" She recited, as a blue green aura surrounded her.

((Mage Armor, targeting myself. AC increases to 15. Also readying quarterstaff.)

OP
Pervy

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

The creature jumped out at Melana, who stopped the charging beast with her shield, albeit ending up with her being pushed back. A claw-swipe shoved the shield aside, following up by a biting attack, which the paladin ducked below, only to have a claw thrust at her right shoulder. There was a yowl of pain and anger from the normally calm fighter, but at this point, the creature had overextended itself, opened up to Melanas blade as she twist her weapon, striking downwards, cutting into the unholy form and driving it back, only to follow this up with another attack, her blade glowing with radiant energy as she cut at the creature, which almost seemed to split it in half. A third attack followed, enhanced by the time-shifting magic, Melana spinning around, slamming her shield into the demonic form, opening it for a finishing blow..

Only for the creature to explode. Literally. Melanas offense had been vicious, but this came unexpected to her, splashing her and her surroundings with some of the black liquid, which also shot up towards Edora. (dexterity save, sadly, sitting in the horses saddle puts you at a disadvantage, mobility wise.)

"Ugh.. what the heavens was that, I've never seen such an.. instable creature." Melana growled, her shoulder bleeding from a dangerous claw-cut. However, before you could ease up at your swift victory, you notied that some of the puddles of demonic bile warped upwards, beginning to move by themselves, wobbling about towards the two of you, not even three feet tall individually, but bubbling and roiling as they slumped towards you determinedly.

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

With disadvantage, Dex save is 19.

Edora wasn't in the best position to avoid the oncoming splatter of chaotic ooze, but she was lucky and paying close attention. She rolled out of her saddle, landing on the ground with surprising grace. Tossing her hair up out of her eyes, the noble mage then saw the oncoming smaller puddles. Rushing up in between herself and Melana, she extended her gloved hands and formed a triangle with her thumbs and forefingers.

"Ignis Manus!"

((Burning Hands, cast to encompass both small oozes. Damage = 15 fire on each, or half if they each manage to make a dex save of 15))

OP
Pervy

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Edora rushed forwards, setting the ooze-things ablaze, making short work of them trying to attack, reform, or anything of the kind. Melana visible relaxed with that, lowering her shield to cover her shoulder, her hand lighting up with a glow of restorative energy as she healed her own injury, her cheeks a bit flushed, likely from the rush of battle and heat of the spell. "That was.. suprising... ugh, well, you can collect your samples from my shield and armor I guess." She sighed.

"What an odd creature, but that was indubitably demonic ichor.. look." Melana pointed, although the spell had destabilized the creature even more and burned the vegetation below, the ooze itself seemed rather resilient to fire, a good amount of it still splattered on the ground.

"Ugh.. there was a river closeby the Inn if I remember right.." She sighed, brushing her dark hair back, a splatter of goo had hit her forehead and hair, which she now sought to clean off. "Smells really sweet though." She mused, looking at the stuff on her glove. Edora didn't smell anything but burning if she was honest. "Well.. do you want to gather your samples and travel on? This kind of ruined my mood of dabbling in the demonic for the day. Oh.. and impressive reactions, its important to respond to threats swiftly and calmly, M'lady, many would have panicked seeing such a creature." She nodded, rolling her shoulder.

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

"Odd... yes. But exciting."

Edora breathed deeply, adrenaline coursing through her system. Melana's words reminded her of what was important: collecting samples of this creature in order to conduct experiments on. Straight away she went to her saddle bags and grabbed some glass vials.

"Incredible amorphous properties. And it seems to possess some elemental resistance too. And perhaps other characteristics as well. An excellent find, now that we're safe from its less than friendly intentions."

She scraped some off of Melana's shield, armor, and then with some slight embarassment, hesitantly tried to remove it from the bodyguard's forehead and cheek.

"You were in the mood for dabbling in the demonic? Now that does beg a story... what say later tonight we reward ourselves with a drink and we discuss this a bit more, hmm?"

She put a stopper on the vials and tucked them away in her baggage before remounting and heading along the road again towards the inn.

OP
Pervy

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

"If its demonic, it should be resistant to many things, but vunerable to holy water, I could get you a bottle of that." Melana suggested, usually not the research type but seemingly curious about the creature too. The Knight tried to remain stoic whilest being.. sample-scraped, though she waved her hand at the scraping on her forehead and whatnot... "I think most of it has evaporated, and you have filled enough vials." Melana crossed her arms. "Well, you are too sharp for me to lie to forever, so I guess clearing a detail or two up will be best..." She chuckled, seeming oddly.. open almost as she mounted the horse and lead the way on, past this encounter, towards....

You reach the Old Travelers Inn just in time, not that you fear a bit of darkness, but the rain has returned with a vengeance. You aren't soaking, but you're also far from dry, which Melana actually welcomes, the rain washing the darkish goo off of her after a short while.

You enter the Inn, Melana handling the formalities with you wishing to stay mostly incognito, paying for a room for two.. nothing unusual there, she takes her bodyguard duty seriously, though she forgot to mention seperate beds. She herself quickly disappears to your room, to remove her armor, returning, with quite a lightened load, though still carrying her blade. With a subtle motion she flicked the folded up letter they had recieved into the fire of the inn, dropping it into the flames whilest warming her hands, before stepping back over.

"Alright, better. How do you feel, considering the message you recieved today?" She asked, taking place by the somewhat secluded table near the central fire of the inn that an additional silvercoin could aquire easily.. well, the Inn wasn't too full either. A few lumberjacks, a coachman and guests of the coach, a simple looking couple, perhaps preparing to meet relatives somewhere.

"I-" Melana started, before hushing herself again.

"G'day, what'll it be for yer?" "..White wine, dry... and you...?" Melana looked over to Edora, dropping her noble address on request of remaining incognito.

"Heh, now then. Remember what I said to you after fighting the necromancer? That he was pointless evil, without reason or cause? You asked me if that ment there was evil with a point or something of the like, and I remained silent." She did just that again, as the drinks arrived for both of you, having a deep sip of her wine.

"Not too shabby... nothing impressive either. Now then. Edora. I believe you know your father better than anyone, but would it be fair to say that he is a kind man, that tries to please too many people at the same time whilest also keeping the people of this country save? I've found you more down to earth, so perhaps thats inaccurate?" Melana waited for a response, but went on afterwards.

"It doesn't matter as much. I believe that death of good, competent people, be they rulers or servants, is a bad thing. But so is allowing death by being too soft, or too weak to prevent it when you could have done otherwise. A good ruler needs to bring order, needs to be strong, needs to make no compromises. Sure, it might 'feel' better at first if people like you and are all happy and smiling, but if you control them, through power and fear, then they will truly obey you." She raised a hand. "I know, this sounds extreme and I try not to evangelize, your path is yours to chose, but ..." Melana sighed.

"In my youth, I was trained as Knight-Inquisitor of the holy church of Aria. Not here, but in my homeland. Taught to pass the tests of the stern angels, trials and tribulations. But I saw the hypocrisy of the church. They build mighty palaces for their faithful, whilest people on the street went homeless. They took money, to keep it for themselves, casting easily available magic for a fee, tricking the faithful into following them and their pantheon through superstitions, and the higher I advanced in rank, the more desillusioned I became." She picked up the drink, taking a deep sip.

"Before knighthood, every knight is assigned and trained as a squire by a full knight. Together we raided a cult. Not an acutal cult, just a group of rich people with too much time getting together, getting naked.. all these things. But we found something." She cast a long glance at Edora, leaning a little closer. It was a bit unusual for her to be this open and close, but now she was in the middle of her story..
"A book, quite evil looking. I picked it up, but the one I trained under took it, telling me it wasn't for my eyes. He was wrong. It was for my eyes more than his." Melana nodded. "He destroyed the book. All I could hide was a single page, but it told fascinating truths." Melana leaned in closer yet, half-whispering. "There is a belief, a forbidden faith, that allows you to be devoted to it, completely yet also honest, not afraid to say.. I want power. I want to rule, I want money, I want ... love."

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

"If we have corrupted creatures on the road, we should make certain we have plenty holy water on hand. Is it expensive to bless?" She asked, interested in various issues of stewardship. Some nobles didn't have the head for the logistics of running a realm and relied on others to do so. Edora was certain that she would need a good steward too, as there was usually too much to keep track of, but she didn't want to be ignorant of the businesses of state - or keeping her realm's roads safe.

She turned up the corner of her mouth at Melana's fussiness over her face being touched, and simply nodded to the promise of having a frank discussion later. Being lied to, was it? Well, let's see what miss bodyguard has to say for herself, once we get out of this sodding rain.

~~~

Edora had the stable boy take care of the horses and walked into the warm inn with her bodyguard beside her. She held back as the room was purchased, and entered it with Melana, observing the one bed with an arched brow, but saying nothing.

A quick Mending cantrip wrung the excess moisture from her clothes and she stood behind the dressing divider so that she could undress without having to see Melana take off her armor. Edora stripped off her traveling clothes and undergarments, and then put on some fresh, simple finery to enjoy her evening in. Thinner, more attractive undergarments, and a lowcut dress did nicely.

She walked out behind the divider looking nothing like a traveling mage or steward and more like a traveling member of the gentry. She strode over to Melana's sopping wet armor and leathers and padded underarmor and cast Mending again to dry it and fix any small tailoring issues.

"Now that we're looking lovely, let's go warm ourselves up and have a relaxing drink." As she went downstairs, she made certain that her spellbook was secured in the locked room chest and that her mage gloves were folded in her belt loop for quick access should she need it. Her mage armor aura was still active, though hidden from all but those who could detect magic.

She went downstairs and took a cushioned seat on a high-backed chair next to the fire. If there were a chess set, she would set a game up between herself, for she did so enjoy mind games, but wouldn't prod too heavily if Melana ignored it. When drinks were ordered, Edora chose to have the house red.

"Better for a cold evening like this, I find. The tannin warms the throat and brings color quicker to the cheeks," she said of her wine selection, and sipped contentedly when it was brought.

"How do I feel about the message? I suppose I am assuming at this point that father will recover, and that Vincent's fears are overstated. I shall be annoyed that my excavation of the ruins was cut short, but much happier than the alternative. We have resources and access to scholars and mages - if he has been poisoned or taken ill, we have people who can give him the best of care. I suppose what I anticipate is that I shall have to temporarily be appointed as regent on behalf of my father. I worry that statecraft will replace magecraft as a priority - not because I am not up to the task, but because I prefer the latter to the former."

She sat back and listened as Melana began to say what she wanted to say, once potential eavesdroppers had slipped away from them. Edora put her hands over one another and rested them in her lap as she listened calmly.

"Father is a soldier and a hero of war. He fought, knowing that he would likely be sacrificing himself so that others might live. He was and is an excellent soldier, and that makes the burden of statecraft heavy for him. That was not the life he would have chosen for himself, it was thrust upon him in gratitude - yet there is a lesson to be learned there. Respect in the form of admiration is stronger than fear. But I take your point as well. People can also be misled, and do foolish things. Discipline is important to instill, but let it fall from a sense of duty, not of fear."

She listened on, waiting for the tale of the book to be mentioned, sipping from her glass again, the ruby liquid wetting her lips.

"And what is this forbidden faith, Melana? Tell me of it."

OP
Pervy

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

"Holy water isn't expensive to bless, infact, it ought to be free, but I wont be able to do that for you." Melana had said, ominously.

"Hmnn." Melana had watched the chess-set and snatched up the figures of kings. "I guess it's my choice of color?" She inquired first.

"Optimism. The path of disappointments, some would say." Melana shrugged. "But perhaps it aids to cushion my pessimism, leading me to assume the worst.
So do you feel you are ready for.. statecraft, as you are for your magics?"
She chuckled. "The problem with duty is that only honorable people understand it. Soldiers and knights like I. Everyone understands fear." She nodded.

"Hmnn.. you want me to tell you of forbidden things, my liege?" Melana said, unusually sultryness sneaking into her tone. "Like how beautiful your dress is in this light, how it makes me think things no bodyguard should be concerned about?" She leaned back, creating seperation, suddenly picking up the white pawn to D4, for a Queens opening, looking at Edora innocently. "You know of angels that protect and demons that twist mortals. But there are angels that protect only the worthy, that hunt down the forces of anarchy, a truth the church longs to supress, because it seeks to hoard its power.. and none in their sane mind would work with demons.

The bookpage I found told about another kind of angel. beautiful, strong.. honorable. I guess that is my mission. To find such an angel and teach people the proper way. I devote myself to this cause. Frankly, I'd not become a mercenary just to hunt down a couple of orcs, I'm capable enough to be chosing.. but your quest to find objects of magic value caught my interest, it, in a way, mirrors my quest of faith. I must say, when I first heard of it, it sounded.. pampered, but you've more than overturned this opinion with your dedication."
Melana smiled, her cheeks seeming a little flushed, but perhaps that was the fire and drink.. then again, Melana was unusually... open today. But this was Edoras chance to learn more about her companion perhaps..

Last edited:

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

"Take whichever color you'd like, Melana. It's a friendly game," Edora smiled patiently, taking another small sip of wine.

"Pragmatism, augmented by Yorin's Treatise on Rewarding the Masses. Besides, you have better sex if you're an optimist. Or so I hear. Anyway, duty can be taught. Anyone can be a soldier, if the realm imposes that role upon them. An honorable society can and should be built, that I grant you."

She eyed Melana coyly as the tone of the woman's voice changed and she made a queen's opening.

"I'm a good listener, and I appreciate an active and creative tongue," she grinned, and slid a pawn to contest the middle, opening her defense. She was a decent student of the game, but the real game wasn't on the board.

"You flatter me. Do go on," she tilted her head, letting her hair shift. She wondered how much to trust in Melana's boldness. She was certainly looking nice with her armor off, but what was her goal, beyond trying to get Edora to be distracted by the obvious? Or maybe it wasn't an act. Wouldn't that be nice.

"I know that Angels and Demons tend to stay in their own planes. We mortals live here, where we concern ourselves with the practical. I imagine there are many opinions above and below, hypocrisy only stands out among the angels because they're meant to embody good. So you want to find a worthy celestial to serve, and then teach those lessons to others. That must have been one hell of a book page."

She nodded, and then sat back, smoothing her skirt.

"The pursuit of knowledge is a bottomless pit. Enjoyable, but maddening if that's the ultimate endgame. Seeking artifacts, or the creation of them, is a tangible goal, something to hold onto while I add to my books and scrolls and plumb the depths of magic as all seekers must. It may not be as high concept as your own pursuits - but I am content with self-improvement. I don't feel an obligation to teach others, though I may be in a position to be a patron to others, eventually."

She rested her chin on her hand and peered at Melana.

"So how do you intend to find this angel of yours? Certainly being my bodyguard could be a distraction. Unless you wanted to ask me at some point about something I could help you out with?"

OP
Pervy

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

"Pragmatism hmn? Fair enough. I never had time to read treatsies... oh, now I can't imagine Yorin speaking about sex." Melana grinned for a moment. "But what will you do with those that don't want to be proper soldiers?" She inquired, her smile staying as she reached out for another pawn, her hand hovering for a moment over a stonewall attack..

"I am glad you value my.. .. tongue."
She nodded, before settling on moving the bishops pawn into a Queens Gambit, immediatly responding to the attempted center threat and leaving Edora with the choice to either sacrifice her pawn, or weaken her center defenses if she took it. "I'm happy to go on if you want me to."

"One hell of a bookpage indeed." Melana nodded, seeming for a moment hesitant.. "I don't usually tell people this much." She mused, before looking back to Edora. "What do you seek then? What is the endgoal for you?" Melana hesitated again at the question, looking at her wine.
"Oh, being your bodyguard is quite the distraction... heh." Melana cooed, and this time, Edora would find a hand, in a delicate glove, touching her knee, perhaps an accidential brush. Maybe. Did Edora want to stop this, whatever this was, was the better question.

"I'm.. not certain I can answer all of your questions, M'lady, not to say I mistrust you, but.. well, mistrust is not an unhealthy thing." Melana closed her eyes, seeming thoughtful. "P-perhaps I had too much wine.." Though she could definitly drink more than a single glass, usually.

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

"Oh, Yorin was a prude. That sex wisdom comes from overhearing what my maids talked about when they discussed their rendezvous with the valets and stablehands. I wager it's just as dependable, really. Primary sources and all that."

She waved her hand and looked at the chess board. A queen's gambit was generally a mistake. It prevented the player from developing their position. Pawns were meant to be sacrificed, if the queen wanted to take it, she was welcome to it. Edora continued to develop her openings and maintain her options. Melana's bluntness would lead to a mistake soon, or an awkward and ultimately weak position. But it was exciting nontheless.

"Well, now that I know you appreciate my dresses, I'll know to wear them more often. Make your job more enjoyable. As to my endgoal... to leave my mark, to contribute my verse to the great ballad. Transmutation is the magic of shaping - I wish to shape my world, my reality. I want to make of myself and my realm a beautiful thing. As to the why of it -- because I can. Because magic exists, and at some point we only are our legacy."

She followed Melana's hand as it brushed her knee, and decided that she was enjoying this game too much to stop. She placed her own hand over onto the bodyguard's knee, and made no mistake of it that it was deliberate.

"You've already probably told me more than you would want to if you intended to keep this secret from me. I am a capable researcher and have connections enough to make a fair go of finding out what texts the Inquisitors have banned, who your knight-inquisitor was, what records he might have left of his raids of a sex cult among the nobility. If you gave me a day in the library, I could probably narrow down the possibilities to a handful of educated guesses... but why don't we just skip the awkward demurring phase and go straight to the good part? Mm? Like I said, I'm a good listener, and I'm sure I can put myself in some sort of compromising position to return your leap of good faith."

She let her hand trail up Melana's thigh just a fraction as she leaned closer and pushed the wine glass closer to the paladin.

"Try some of my wine, it tastes nice, I think you'll like it."