Shadows over Rosemont

OP
Pervy

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Shadows over Rosemont

Grinning Fox.. nothing truly came to mind, putting into question the close relationship with Edoras father this person claimed to have. A friendly vampire, for certain.

"A supervisor? Well, I agree, it beats animosity, but only by a margin. Still, I guess you did what you had to do.." Malena cleared her throat at the comment about.. soft bits. "It is.. necessary. You err.. like it? As your bodyguard I'm your highest military representative after The Majordomo, so I ought to show some decorum." Malena nodded, seeming as if she was mor comfortable in a sturdy, less presentable armor, following Edora calmly nonetheless.

"Midnight meetings. How romantic. I'll bring holy water and sharpen my blade." She said, in her own brand of humor.

The merchants envoy was a half elf, as described by Melana, wearing rich robes that the uninitiated might mistake for a mages but Edora realized as simply carrying the insignia of two large trade-guilds. He had a stern expression that softened into an inviting smile once Edora entered.

"Ah! Lady Eldora Rosemont, I presume? It's an honor!" He cheered, bowing low upon you entering.

To his right there stood a silent, darker skinned woman with a rather expensive looking golden ceremonial armor and kurved blades by her side, bowing as her master did, though with more military rigidity and without taking her eyes off of either of you. Melana took position opposite of her, both women engaging in a silent stare-fight.

"Let us get right to business? I'd hate to take up too much of your indubitably valuable time.." The merchant suggested. "I don't know how far you've been informed about these matters but in essence, your father was just about to finalize allowing the Merchants guild a standing militia for their own protections sake, I have the paperwork right here with me if you wish to take a look." The man smiled encouragingly.

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Almost certainly a vampire, this Grinning Fox, Edora sighed inwardly. And if he wasn't, he was deliberately going about his business as one. Or she. The call sign wasn't exactly gender specific. Oh well, she'll conjure up some garlic if she had to.

"Not a supervisor. That would indicate she has some sort of control over me. She's a guest and collegiate observer, who is welcome to be a warden on behalf of the church, just in case my research wanders into dangerous territory, which by its nature it undoubtedly shall. And yes, I do like your clothing. When we get a spare moment, I'm going to have some of the seamstresses and tailors take your measurements. You'll need to be fitted for all sorts of garments. Already my mind is positively brimming with the possibilities. You would look very fine in a number of outfits, I'm certain.~ Hmm... perhaps leather... and maybe some silks...~"

In the meeting room, she sized up the elf envoy with a practiced false smile. This man reeked of insincerity. Oh well, nothing to do for it but play the part she was given.

"Lady Edora," she corrected his mispronunciation, but nodded slightly to him, then took her seat and motioned for him to sit as well.

"And likewise, my good envoy of the Guildsmen. Unfortunately I have not been given your name and title. Please do me the favor of letting me know to whom I speak."

She listened to his name and then to his proposals. A signature about a standing militia force. Now that was quite the oddity. Did not the merchant guild already hire personal bodyguards as due course?

"I am afraid that the unfortunate death of my father has resulted in a transition of power to myself. And though I would wish dearly to have him back, as no doubt you would if he were so close to agreeing to this deal with you, I'm afraid the circumstances being what they are, I shall have to read in detail, and with the aid of my Majordomo and other private council, the papers which you have with you. If they do indeed make sense and are in line with the policy that I intend to uphold now that I am Countess, then you will have them signed and sealed in due course. It would be unlikely to be today, but you can leave them with me, and naturally explain them as you like. I am given to understand that it is common practice for caravans to already hire men of strong vigor and training to guard your cargo. What exactly are the differences between this and the standing militia that the merchants desire? A militia has always been tied to town and village charters, and they are to be ultimately loyal to the realm, as are merchants themselves who operate out of Dranau."

She pondered for a moment, and then added. "As this is a transitionary period, it will also be no great surprise to you that there will be a necessary auditing of current merchant's guild practice, to give your new liege the best possible understanding of her realm's economy. Rest assured, the prosperity of my realm shall be a hallmark of my rule, and I am certain the Merchants that you represent will only be too pleased to have a Countess who hears their needs and appreciates the dedicated acumen of your scribes. Now... please inform me as to the names of the heads of the Merchant Guilds, and I shall be certain to have my Majordomo be quite familiar to them in the months to come."

She smiled sweetly, but knew that what she was asking of this man was to inform the merchants that they would have to deal with an intelligent girl who would not sign anything without reading it carefully and who would also be checking up on them. If they wanted to hire potential manpower away from her household, they had another thing coming to them.

"Of course, the realm will be increasing its law holdings in the near future. Expect for higher instances of highway patrols along the Wildroad. You can be assured of safer passage within my domain, certainly. And besides, the lifesblood of your trade from Dranau is nautical, and that is a matter for you to settle with individual ship captains and their crew, not with I."

OP
Pervy

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

"I.. I'm not sure this is strictly necessary." Melana said, unusually flustered at the idea of being measured out and outfitted, avoiding eye-contact again, this time to an almost cute and comical degree. "You have.. more important things to focus on either way."

~~

"Mandoran Geddharn, representative of the interest of the united guilds of craftsmen and merchants, but to us titles are less important than business enterprise, please, call me Mandoran." The man enthused.

"Well, that is.. of course your right." The merchant nodded, his smile freezing for the shortest of moments. "I'll leave the papers with you for review... oh, and my condolences for your terrible, terrible loss, such a great businessman your father was." He really had been anything but though.

"The problem is, mercenaries and strongarms are quite expensive and we would prefer someone that is well trained, trustworthy and loyal in these dangerous times." Edora knew of Melanas self control, thus it was impossible that there had been a subtle snicker right now, right?

"An.. auditing? .. Now your father never saw the need for this, and I doubt you'll have it either.. Well, I do like the sound of prosperity and more controls of the highways, but I do insist you keep in mind that we are quite willing to assist in your countys financial endeavour, an act that may be hindered if we are occupied with unecessary paperwork." The man was now subtly adjusting his collar..
"Indeed you are.. quite informed M'lady. Primary trade is nautical, though the artisans are also occupied in a variety of different endeavours..." The man shifted subtly, and although it was but a little gesture, his bodyguard tensed up reflexively, reaching for her curved blades, a motion that Melana followed, her boot subtly shifting forward to be closer to your side.

Then, the merchant-man laughed, clasping his hands together, dispersing the suddenly mounting tension. "Very well, very well! You shall have all the information you desire. I'll have a servant put it all in writing. For your question, Anna Circani is the head of the artisans guild, whereas the merchants have no leader.. we decide things by a council of seven, among which, I am one." He folded up his paperwork, placing it on the table besides him, giving Edora a jovial smile. "Well well, it seems you are busy, so unless there are any further inquieries, I shall see myself out. Kraska, komm her." he barked at the bodyguard-girl, who immediatly stepped to his side, as he left with a calm:
"You are quite young for this duty and burden, if you seek any advice, the merchants will be sure to assist. I'll look forward to hearing of your answer." Before he left, almost a bit too suddenly, unless Edora insisted he stayed and answered further questions.

Melana remained calm, stepping to the door and ensuring the man had left before she commented: "May be my paranoia but that overpriced looking ring on his right hand, looks exactly like one with a hidden compartment to hide a little poison."

If Edora reviewed the Merchant guilds proposal it was.. quite worrysome. It would basically allow the merchants to become an independent military power within Rosemont, presumambly all for protection. Of course, denying them would have to be handled with care...

Edoras thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door, followed by a middle-aged, playfully grinning woman peering inside with little hesitation in between knock and opening, Melanas hand resting on her blade, albeit without drawing it.

The woman wore a slightly rugged-looking combination of clothes, stylish in its own right, but undecided if it wanted to be a piece of leather armor or a robe, stripes of leather gripping her legs and arms pecularily as she peered in, a twin set of scars and slightly greying hair indicating a certain experience in life. "My turn? I was told I'd be up after the merchants, they just left looking as if they found a drogskol sipping their soup, figure that means I'm up." The woman stepped into the middle of the room, extending a hand with rather sharp looking nails outwards, letting it hover in the air as if expecting a shake of it.. quite out of noble decorum, or out of the norm for the usual archmage. "I'm Arlinn, the announced archmage, you must be Lady Rosemont." She smiled, nodding and keeping her hand extended.. towards Melana, who for some reason was again blushing and remaining uncertainly silent.

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

'Mercenaries are well-trained if they are intent upon staying alive, and they are loyal to coin, which is primarily what merchants have to offer," Edora stated.

She listened to Mandoran get more and more tense as questions of her auditing produced the beginnings of an objection. But ultimately, he conceded, and the moment of apparent crisis passed. She had been ready with a cantrip firebolt if he'd made a move, but he'd backed off. This didn't mean that he was necessarily the killer, but he was a conniver and certainly had something to hide.

After she perused his paperwork once he'd left, she scoffed.

"This man must be joking. Preposterous what he was proposing. Obviously he has taken me for a fool. No doubt he has some duplicit trade deals going on if he wants to start raising his own army. Well, I'm quite certain that I will not be allowing that sort of precedent. Armed forces will be loyal to Dranau and to its Countess. I'll not create a second, borderless state in my realm."

She considered the nature of her reply. It would be a denial, for certain, but it could be tempered by agreeing to revisit tariff and road safety precautions, as well as an easing on the limitations of caravan protection hiring. If what they wanted was more safety, that she could get on board with. Frankly, she didn't think this was a big deal. Soldiers were still paid a wage, just like mercenaries - if the merchants have the money to upkeep a standing force, they could hire mercenaries as per usual.

"I'll need to figure out who the local mercenary companies are. Perhaps they've had a falling out with Mandoran and his gang of merchants. That could explain his dissatisfaction... anyways. Next visitor I suppose."

She waited as the door was knocked upon and the new woman, the archmage called Arlinn entered and introduced herself - to Melana.

"My bodyguard Melana certainly has some noble features, but if you were at all familiar with my late father, you would know that fair hair runs in our family. I am Countess Edora Rosemont. Welcome to my home."

She raised her own hand, and would let Arlinn come to her to shake it, if such was her desire.

"It has been a busy day with many important guests to receive. A wandering archmage is unexpected, but I always have time for fellow scholars. I presume you have something interesting to bring to my attention?"

OP
Pervy

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

"That said, making a direct enemy of the merchants holds troubles in itself.. but perhaps something to worry about later." Melana informed neutrally. "I could.. how do people say it.. extend my feelers towards the merchants. I know a place or two they frequent, unsuprisingly." She added to Edora.

"Ooh you're the countess! Sorry, I have trouble sorting people that I haven't met before. Quite fair hair though, yes, a rarity in these lands, I first thought you came from Thraben." The proclaimed archmage scratched the back of her head and grinned slightly, whilest Melana gave a nervous sigh.

Edora immediatly regretted the handshaking, the woman giving her hand a firm squeezing like one she would have expected from a well trained male. "Good meeting you anyhow, so, Edora.. or do you prefer Lady Rosemont?" She nodded.

"Scholar? Oh, nono, I'm not really much of a scholar. I mean I know a few spells, sure, but.. more of.. a traveling monster-hunter, with practical application coming first." She nodded, seeming to think this through briefly, her smile fading a little as she went on.

"In this instance, I've been tracking a .. rabid wolf from your southern provinces, up to the centre of your county. When I finally happened upon the creature, its affliction seemed to have taken over fully, and someone else managed to take it down ahead of me with fire that, judging by the lack of flammable materials closeby, was of magical creation. The inquisitors of the church rarely use that kind of magic, so I wonder what kind of beautiful spellcaster could have been responsible for that." The Archmage cooed at Edora, in a way that was borderline flirtatious, but also gave away that she thought Edora the most likely suspect, without directly saying so.

"I was tracking the creature, hoping to divine the origin of its corruption. But, with it dead the only thing left is looking at where it came from, the wilder farmlands south of here. However, the Isselbach tribe living there is..." She hesitated, tipping her chin with a clawed finger. "Complicated for me to approach. So I tried to meet up with the regent of the region in hope of securing some support... I heard that the local count had a daughter that likes adventuring, and I wanted to be all like 'hey want to help me solve a dangerous magical mystery!' .. aaand then I come here at the worst possible timing. My luck. I guess you'll be busy ruling rather than adventuring, eh?" Arlinn looked over.

Last edited:

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

"I'm not going to back down for fear of making enemies, Melana. Having them is a good thing, my father used to say, quoting some distant leader no doubt. He said it meant that you had stood up for something in your life. That being said, I don't intend to lose to them. We'll need spies to keep tabs on them. Not necessarily yourself, as I need you here, but if you have contacts, that would be a wise move."

In that private moment, Edora would place a hand gently on any part of Melana that wasn't covered by plate or metal rings, and pat it - preferably a leg, but the ass would do too, if the thigh was not exposed. She'd offer a sly smile to the bodyguard, enjoying the way Melana seemed to feel a dissonance with having her noble employer be so touchy feeley. It shouldn't come as a surprise however, given their mutual experience at the inn. This was merely Edora continuing to maintain that coy suggestion that if the bodyguard was willing to 'lower her guard' there might be a benefit to being the Countess' personal assistant.

---

"Our family does have some Thraben ancestry on my grandmother's side. Mixing of noble houses from other lands is nothing new. Keeps the blood strong. In any case, welcome. Please do take a seat and we shall talk."

Edora unhooked herself from the strong handshake with a slight frown and settled herself into her chair quickly, comfortable to be at a polite distance from the odd woman.

"Lady Rosemont or Countess will do. Edora is reserved for immediate family or those who've seen me undressed," the noblewoman smirked, allowing this Arlinn woman to see an informal and uncouth edge to her that perhaps would make her seem more human to the woman. Despite her odd nature and rough handshakes, her status as an adventuring mage still had Edora approving of her.

"A few practical spells then? Are you certain that you wish to bandy about the title of archmage when asking for a courtly reception then? Or were you just being modest?" She smiled through narrowed lips. A part of her dearly hoped that this woman was not wasting her time.

"If you are perchance referring to me as a potential rival wolf hunter, I can assure you I have burned no wolves. I fight monsters when necessary or when they prevent me from my field research. I am an aspiring collector of relics and artifacts - and I prefer to acquire personally, if I can. Cuts down on spending treasury gold at extortionate prices."

She let Arlinn continue on with her tale then. She didn't mind the flattery from the older woman, although she was not immediately attracted to her in the way she was towards Melana.

"On the contrary, I am quite interested in ferreting out the source of corruption in my realm. It is a growing threat to my people, and I have no intention of letting my title getting in the way of my life's work. As you know, I am meeting with many delegates from different sectors of society. Everyone is interested in establishing an understanding with their new liege. Once I am done with that, I intend to have the logistics of my realm left in the capable hands of some wise and loyal servants. And when that is done, I would be quite interested in journeying with you to explore this disturbance in the south. Wait in the capital for a day or two as I get my house in order, and then I shall send for you again and we shall journey."

In her own mind, the nature of corruption of another beast meant that she had a solid lead for her own research. Controlling or harnessing the transmutive properties of this corruption could be the key to establishing her own powerbase -- or at the very least, giving her the knowledge of how to counter such corruption without depending on another faction. It would legitimize her rule if she and she alone could be viewed as a saviour to her people.

---

Once Arlinn was done explaining her proposed adventure, Edora would retire to her own chamber and begin to pen a note.

"To the one who would entreat with me,

Precaution is necessary, but I desire to speak with you.
Come to my balcony where I await and we shall meet.

~The Countess"

She would have her seal stamped into the bottom for authentication, and then entrust Melana to nail the note to the tree at around an hour before midnight. Then she would wait with Melana at the doorway to her open balcony, with the windows open and the candle light on in her room. Both of them would be dressed for potential battle, but for Edora, this was easier, as she only needed her casting gloves and she would take a precautionary casting of Mage Armor in advance of the meeting.

Last edited:
OP
Pervy

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Melana, again, coyly hesitated at Edoras advanced, though the archmages nterruption got in the way of.. learning a bit more about her.

Said archmage settled in the chair with a slight shrug and hunching over, looking at Edora as she expanded her tale. "Iiinteresting. Lady Rosemont." She nodded, watching Edora through folded hands. "Oh, if you are curious, the full title is Archmage of Goldnight, I studied under the church.. a while ago. Worry not, I can well hold my own in the wildernis." She affirmed. She seemed thoughtful.
"A treasure hunter humnn? Be wary, many such items carry a curse in these lands.
Hmnn journeying together.. ah you misunderstand, my.. closeness alone could create troubles with the southern clans of your county.. but I'd be happy to assist you as advisor, perhaps accompany you, to a point."
The woman nodded, but let Edora retire afterwards if she seemed drained.

Melana had quickly arranged to have a maid deliver food to Edoras bedchamber, in a large enough portion for two people. She insisted on pre-testing it too and, perhaps due to the earlier closeness even went so far as to jokingly inform.: "Hmnnn.. that stew tastes suspicious. Better I eat some more of it to make sure~"

The hour before midnight closed in, then time grew closer to midnight. There was a rustling in the bushes, before a man appeared.. it was hard to tell just what he looked like, beyond his pointy beard.:

"I bid thee greetings, countess! I am to express to you the sorrow of me and my associates about the demisening of your father, The count and wish to assure you that we don't have not a thing to do with it, for the more, we wish to.. wish to.. ah.." He stopped, glancing on his arm, which, to Edoras keen eyes, clearly displayed something written upon it. "We wish to assertain future business possiblities with you by offering you assistance in uncovering what aileded your father. Thus says I, .. Grinning Fox, leader of the ..re-allo.. cators of .. spend.."

"Reallocator of spendthrift ressources, by the angels its not that hard to memorize was it?" Another voice complained, interestingly, coming from your maid, the same maid that had delivered the letter. "I see there are no guards ready to take me to prison, in conjunction with how you dealt with the merchants I judged you'd be open to my proposal. Excuse the late-night secrecy as I will excuse the distance and protections you prepared, so they seem a little excessive almost." The tone of Edoras maid had become quite a lot more refined now. "Let me be quite blunt with you, I keep organized things that some would claim as outside the covering of laws And that." The woman raised a hand. "Is quite beneficial to you. Some things are better organized than disorderly, wouldn't you agree?" The woma allowed herself a short pause before going on.

"Just like I had with your father, I offer a relationship of mutual appreciation. Who knows, if you are less.. conservative, perhaps this could blossom into a wonderful friendship. I can offer you many advantages and gifts, and in exchange, I merely ask you manage your executive powers wisely." She suggested, with a courtesy bow.

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

"Curses can be uncursed. Magic can be studied. So you learned under the church? That must have been interesting."

She said no more about the church however to this woman. An odd one for certain. Edora was not sure what sort of adviser Arlinn would make. Certainly not one whose loyalty could be trusted on word alone at this point. She listened on as the archmage clarified her position.

"So you want to encourage me to go by myself to see to this mystery? What exactly are you offering me to do so? Aside from knowledge, which I can gather elsewhere, what do I stand to gain from this quest?"

Edora was a bit fatigued from the three talks, so she did begin to show signs of wishing to retire.

"Perhaps we shall discuss this a bit more on the morrow. An expedition, if I agree to it, won't happen right away. There must be time to prepare and I am expecting more visitors in the days to come. Do stay nearby, Archmage Arlinn, and I will speak to you again."

~~~

The supper was welcome, and allowed Edora to slip into more comfortable robes rather than her gown, and she ate her meal with Melana in quiet repose. She smirked at the dark knight's antics with taste testing, but it did remind her of the real chance of other poisons.

"I ought to employ someone without as specialized a skill set as yours to be my taste tester," she said as she blew lightly on the stew that was eventually proffered up to her mouth and put it into her mouth, chewing slowly and demurely.

"For one, it won't be as great a loss should there actually be poison, and for two, I would get to eat more of my own portions. Call for your own plate, Melana, you may eat with me. A perk of being my bodyguard and my field companion."

She flagged down the maid that had brought the food and had a seamstress brought to the room while her meal was being eaten. When one arrived, Edora smiled and indicated to Melana.

"I'll need this one's measurements taken. I expect some soldier's livery to be made for her, and take the measurements for a dress as well. Backless, I think. And in black, with lace. It would suit her. She has broad shoulders and strong, lean arms and legs, we need to accentuate her feminine qualities."

She smiled at Melana, and encouraged her to remove her bulky armor so that the seamstress could get a proper measurement. It would prove to be some good entertainment while she took her meal.

~~~

When the midnight hour drew night, Edora and her bodyguard were at the walkthrough window to her balcony, and listened with mild consternation at the awkward language being delivered by this man with the pointed beard and grey hood. He had the sound of one who was uneducated but playing at trying to sound smart, and eventually failing. Luckily, the reason for this soon became evident with the revelation of the scar-faced woman who had masqueraded as one of her serving girls earlier in the day.

"To be fair to your man, my dear, 'reallocator of spendthrift resources' is an overly constructed title. Less is more. You might just stick to 'Thief.'"

Edora did not intend to give this woman any sort of undo praise. The only thing she had revealed to her was more of what Edora already knew - that her household guard was incompetent if someone involved in a crime syndicate could so easily worm her way close to the countess. What if she had been an assassin? Must she do everything herself?

"As for my precautions, do they honestly seem so far fetched? My father is recently deceased and we live in exceedingly dangerous times. Indeed, when strangers unbidden roam through my halls, potentially with violent ends in mind. I think this encounter proves my caution well-founded, though I am pleased to see that it is not something worse that I face - no cultist or Stromkirk, or some overzealous monster hunter. Just a woman motivated by coin and her tongue-tied lackey."

Edora crossed her arms and leaned back, appraising the woman as she pulled on one of her gloves, casually.

"No, there are no guards to take you to prison. Though I'm fairly confident I could take you there myself, or worse, if you gave me reason to. Not that you have, yet. Indeed, I am thankful for your candor. Grinning Fox though? Really? I suppose it's decent moniker for remaining incognito, but it doesn't suit you. Unless you're just a prettier face for the real ring leader? Well, no matter. So you want a deal then? Something along the lines of, look the other way and you'll keep your depredations of society to areas that won't harm my personal interests, yes?"

"If you're so organized with your group, yet so bold that you would speak with the representative of law over this land - charged with the good fortune of my land's economy no less - can I ask why you haven't considered a more legitimate line of work? Unless this is your way of applying for such.?"

Edora smirked and put her fingertips together, her lips smiling just behind them.

"Let us dispense with the flowery language, then. And give me something more decorous to call you than Grinning Fox... really, it's a bit tedious. If you are not aware yet, let me be blunt with you about who I am. I am the rightful ruler of this realm. It is my intention to make Danau the greatest of the realms in this land - second to none. We will have the best academies, the best military, the best influx of trade, and we will expunge what I deem to be corruption - namely anything and anyone who gets in the way of my vision. Now, if you convince me, with very real, very plainly spoken plans for how your organization can contribute actively and positively to my plan, then by all means, you can have my blessing. I'm a results oriented woman. But if your business is a threat to my interests, I'll work magics on you and yours that will make you unrecognisable to what you were before."

Edora stood up, fitting her other glove onto her off hand. She was in her element here. This rogue wanted a tacit seal of approval for her illegal activities? She'd better damn well have come prepared to show how good she could be for House Rosemont. Flowery language and a charmer's grin weren't going to cut it.

"So you see, it's in your interest to be my friend. Convince me that we are. You've come to my house tonight. Therefore, it's you who has to show her hand first. What gifts will you bring me? Information? Gold? Artifacts? And who's to be the victim of your resource allocation? Small businessmen? Innkeepers and leatherworkers and cobblers just trying to make a living? Or are you here to tell me you're a robber with a heart of pure gold and summer song? Only having your men rob from the merchants - merchants who, by the way, ostensibly bring a higher quality of life to my city. A thriving marketplace is a lifesblood for taxes - taxes that will go to the good of the people."

OP
Pervy

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

"Curses.. oh yes, curses and their nature I studied at length. Yet, what one considers a curse can be a blessing for another. But perhaps I shall tell you more about my studies under the church later, we just met after all!" The mage chuckled, seeming to have her fair share of secrets.

"What can I offer you.. uhm.. I could help you out, if you need something done, I'm a capable combattant and I know a lot about the wildernis of the lands. But anyway. Please consider my offer, I recommend you deal with this before it can turn into a problem, I daresay not all of your guests are as important as they think themselfs." Arlinn nodded, but exited without protest.

~~
Melana chuckled at the countess. "I agree on the taste-testing, but lacking such precautions, it is part of my duty. A bit salty perhaps." She nodded. Melana however blushed, and seemed rather emberassed about having measurements taken, insisting that her armor ought to be functional rather than pretty, much to the seamstress annoyance. It seemed Melana wasn't used to getting things for free, nor to emphatizing her femininity, a slight coughing to clear her throat and hide her emberassment. "I'm not certain if you wish to pamper or emberass me, countess.." She moped, cheeks still sightly flushed after the act.

"Verily, but 'thieves guild' holds such negative connotations for many. We see ourselfs as dare-do opportunists, unbound by crude restrictions." The woman explained with an educated cadence to her voice, her.. associate stepping back and looking about a bit, not sure what to do with himself.

"You wound me, my countess. As you said yourself.. thiefes. We are not a guild of murderers. Your fathers demise is actually bad for business for a variety of complicated reasons I shall not expand upon without further necessity." The grinning Fox explained.

"Perhaps I'm not the real leader, perhaps I am. Perhaps theres a half-dozen Grinning Foxes and the reason the name seems ill fit is that it's a shared moniker. Perhaps delivering me unto jail would solve a lot of crimes.. or perhaps, it would do the opposite, for you see, I am a leader of organized crime, to put it bluntly, as you do not desire to mince words. This also means that without me you'd face something much more heinous.. unorganized crime. What do you prefer, countess, to leave out a piece of meat once in a while to keep the mighty wolf out, or kill that wolf, only to deal with a pack of wild dogs." She shrugged.

"I already consider our little guild a legitimate institution, just not an official one." "She's right M'lady, many larger cities have thieves guilds, few talk about it, for obvious reasons, but it's better to have thieves in the underground than necromancers and cultists. By necessity, they .. reinforce their form of justice amongst one another. To be clear, I don't like them one bit, but eradicating them might take some effort." Melana leaned in and whispered to Edora.

"Hmnn.. Bluntness? My apologies, but Grinning Fox will have to do. If you'd like to make up another name for me, I wont mind. But I'd just tell you a false name and I'd be loathe to lie to my sovereign. Either way. If you wish to reduce this wonderful discussion to such base necessities.." She shrugged.

"I think you are quite reasonable after rebuking the merchants. Unless you give them something better to do they'd wish to make this a capital of commerce and instate you as puppet leader any time. That information was for free. As is this.. there is little point in taking from someone beyond what they need to live with, it may be quick gains, but it's not sustainable. My organization is fond of long term investments rather than short term gains, which can not be said of those not with us. Naturally we do not approve of freelancers and will happily.. assist the executive forces of your land in that regard.
I can tell you are still sceptical. Well, I have a few more informations that might interest you, or, if its baubles that catch your eye I'm certain we can come to an agreement.
For example, my folk don't much have need for flashy magics, I recently came upon a staff that glows in the dark, little use to us, hard to sell due to its unique apperance, perhaps quite valuable to a spellcaster like you.
Or, alternatively, you wish to build up this land? That takes money, quite likely more than your fathers estate holds. You'll be forced to make a decision thusly.. raise taxes, and deal with the disapproving consequences of this, or.. let us do our work, consider it a.. special interest tax.
Finally, we can easily aquire information and spell-materials that some would think.. uncouth for a noble, no questions asked.
So, the question back to you, countess, what will it be, artifacts, riches or knowledge?"

Last edited:

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Edora indulged herself watching Milana get her measurements taken, relaxing in her chair and allowing herself to be distracted from the recent upheaval in her life.

"You may call it pampering or embarrassing, but I consider it fitting you into my preferred aesthetic. You're a contracted soldier of House Rosemont. With me as its matriarch, this means that you are to be both martially effective and visually impressive. Intelligence and wits go with the territory too, but those we must display in the goodness of time. Now let the tailor do her work."

~~

Later on, Edora found herself matching her wits and charms against the woman with the scars on her cheeks, whose fair complexion and bright eyes were markedly similar to her own.

"Robbery tends to lend itself to negative connotations. As does any profession that dedicates itself to depriving good, law-abiding people of what they have earned."

Edora was unimpressed by the argument that such guilds were a necessity. Just because crime was inevitable due to the unscrupulous nature of humanity, it didn't mean that her realm ought to strengthen it or reward it. Lawlessness was a cancer to the edicts that had wrought the universe out of the stuff of the void. Chaos was the nature of the Abyss, an entropic mass that must be bound and restrained, so that life could flourish and civilization could separate itself from common beasts.

"Mighty? You do have your pretensions, Miss Fox. In any case, I would avoid that wolf metaphor if I were you.. A pack of wild dogs is powerless and easily scattered. A wolf among my sheep, demanding sacrifice? As any good shepherd I would seek to kill it, and leave its entrails about for other potential wolves to see and fear a similar fate. If you intend to operate in my realm as an organization that has my consent, you will have to work hard to earn that legitimacy that you claim to aspire to. It is only by preventing worse threats to my people that I would dream of supporting you - but therein lies the reason I'm still talking to you."

Edora leaned forward.

"So long as you can control your operatives, so long as you do not target those whose cannot recover, and so long as you re-invest your gains back into our local economy, I am willing to quietly allow you to operate without direct antagonism. One more request though - that you not address me as your sovereign lightly. If you are based in Dranau, and intent on benefiting from its growth in prosperity, then you must be willing in your own ways to champion it above all other states, and in times of necessity, be called upon by your Countess. If you are asking me to choose between the artifacts, the gold, or the knowledge, I choose the gold, for artifacts and knowledge I already make a habit of seeking out personally, and the gold, I would want to reinvest into my realm - a place where I would hope the average citizen need not fear their livelihood threatened."

OP
Pervy

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

If Edora hoped for a display of an emberassed dark knight, she was most certainly not disappointed. While Melana seemed quite happy wearing uncomfortable armor and lots of it, anything that was more to emphatize her femininity over utility seemed to make her uncertain, giving the tailor a proper workout. It was hard to tell if she was pouty of flustered at Edoras suggestions on how to style her, though she did not complain, noticeably.

"Not to sound spicey, but with your upbringing, just what idea do you have of the perverted things these good, law abiding people can do if you let them? Let's for example say, your father had found it fit to lie with one of the maids but had disapproved of the nights results, you'd find your half-sister raised in filth and poverty while you wear rich linen, wondering why taking a bit of that for herself is a crime." She chuckled.
Well, to be honest, your father is more honorable than most in that regard, for all I know." Grinning Fox said, either showing a hint of her past, or simply arguing for arguings sake. Then again, someone had to have taught her this extravagant manner of speaking.
The woman sighed briefly as Edora continued. "It's a shame things turn out like this, I just want a little evenly meeting, no conversing about brutality. Your saber-rattling impresses me not. I know how vunerable your estate is.. and no, I don't say that because I want to take advantage, ironically, lawlessness is bad for my business as well, I'd rather have people foolishly believing in security than dreading anarchy. I say what I do because you'll sorely need friends. You'll have to compromise in one way or the other, unless you are far, far stronger than any of my information suggests."

"Either way, all beginnings are hard, are they not? I understand my profession causes a little.. discontent in many. Gold I shall keep in mind then. For now.. consider this a little meeting and greeting. Excuse my lack of patriotism. Perhaps one day I'll trust you enough to discuss things further, for now, I shall bid you goodbye, consider myself dismissed. If you have need to talk to me, Joe here had himself hired as stable assistant."

"Err.. yes, my countess." "And, just in case this clarification is welcomed, he memorizes messages, he does not understand our inner workings, so there is little point to interrogate him."
Grinning fox.. suggested, turning to leave, unless Edora held her back.

Either way, after the encounter Edoras bodyguard relaxed subtly, shrugging briefly. "Well, that was pleasant. What are your thoughts on your meetings today? Either way, you should rest soon, in the morning there'll be ceremonies to observe, I heard your Majordomus is already preparing things, I guess it's for the best to keep the people.. unworried." Then, the blackguard smirked subtly. "Then again, it is your decision to observe decorum or not. You certainly let none of your... guests commandeer you around. You could hold a celebration for yourself, you could keep it all quiet and exclude the church, there could be a tournament, or perhaps you could try to appease some of the people you met today. With all the weight on your shoulders you shouldn't forget that this is your place to rule...

*Ahem* Forgive me if I speak out of line here, of course you know these things."
Edora couldn't help but note that, for her usual nature, Melana got a little more outgoing with her words, perhaps this was due to recent events, or a 'revenge' for the tailoring earlier.

Last edited:

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

"I am far more than what you presume to know of me. And I will not answer for the crimes of other nobles anymore than I would ask a scullery maid to answer for the crimes of brigands and assassins, even though they may be cut from the same class. Allies might suit me, but I require reliable ones. A crime syndicate, however organised, is still based on a disregard for the authority of the realm . If we manage to work together, compromise will have to come from both sides."

Edora stood and tightened her gloves.

"If that is how you wish to communicate, then so be it. If things go missing from my house or stables, Joe here will be the first to answer for them. That shouldn't bother Joe however. I'm sure his higher ups look out for the likes of him. Consider yourselves both dismissed."

She waved the two of them away, even if Fox was already walking. She then closed the door and windows to her inner chamber and began to undress for the night and listened to what Melana had to ask.

"My thoughts on the meetings are as follows. The church is to large to ignore, and possesses assets that would be better available to us rather than spurned out of hand. We keep them close so that we may use them as they in turn try to use us. Same to a lesser degree with Fox and her brigands, though my faith in them is reluctant. I do not intend to look at a thief as my equal, nor be caught up in great scandal. The merchants are clearly up to a preposterous plan to become princes in their own right, and I'll not have their wealth diverted into realms outside of their purview. I am the protector of the realm, it is to my call that soldiers will march,. Finally, there is the magus. Her pursuits are perhaps nothing, or perhaps a good way to uncover more secrets of the darkness that plagues my land without the prying eyes of the Faithful to watch out for.

"My goal is to be ultimately beholden to as few as possible, and to rule capably and clearly. If a person seeks to undermine my power, for any reason, I will defeat them. If they are benevolent and can co-exist, parallel to my rule, then I can work with them."

She smirked at the mention of the ceremonies.

"Yes, yes, decorum and ritual should be observed. The people must be reassured that tradition continues and that life sails on smoothly. Too much change causes unrest and uncertainty. The average household thrives on stability. Mm... are you worried that I will forget to make a spectacle of myself? No. It is important that my people know that a Rosemont continues to rule the county and that I am looking after them. Tomorrow I will have a ceremony, and the bishop of this parish will announce my station and place the circlet of my office upon my head. You will preside in the wings, and the guests who I met with today will be invited to stand in places of regard. Grinning Fox will be in the crowd somewhere, or an agent of hers will be. But most importantly, the people will be there to hear me speak to them. I will also announce a festival, to be held in three weeks' time. A wake for the passing of my father, and a sign of the solidarity of the realm, and the happiness for which we stand for, even in dark times. I will announce that the church and Rosemont soldiers will be bolstering the efforts to maintain safety, for folk of all classes. And I shall announce that increased patrols along the roads and at the harbors will make increased trading more lucrative to bring prosperity to our city. And I shall tell people that I will personally be involved in the ongoing investigation of troubling attacks, along with the finest investigators available to us from outside the county. I will assure the people that the Rosemont family is symbol of their protection."

Edora clasped her hands together.

"So you see, Melana. I intend to be bth fearsome and merciful in equal measure. But your advice is always welcomed. You needn't fear speaking too freely. You mentioned a tournament. Would you like a chance to ride in as a black knight and be my champion?"

She sat down at her desk and took out her quill of answering. Putting it to paper, she wrote down the following question:

"Is the woman who called herself Grinning Fox the daughter of a noble?"

Last edited:
OP
Pervy

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

"The church is large indeed. But take their little finger, and they might make you kneel to kiss it.. I'm not that good with sayings. But you should be wary.
There is no honor among thieves, obviously. I'd say you can only rely on them as far as your goals don't conflict with theirs.
The merchants.. could be more reliable allies, but seemed to hunger for power, yes. Perhaps you could satisfy them in other ways?
I have little judgement to offer on wizards. Your magic is welcomed, my lady, but it is not my study. She seemed at least more practical than a mere scholar.. somehow.... nevermind."
Melana seemed to ponder.

"A wise goal.. if that truly is the case, I in your place would pick my sides and stay strong with them. Crush the opposition so decidedly they will oppose you no longer.

I am not one for festivals, but it sounds like something a noble would do in this time and it sounds like what the sheep would enjoy hearing"
She offered, with a shrug.

"A tournament is an old tradition, but also, it might help if I were to win over other champions, a showing of strength. It could coincide with your Festival, though I must admit I'm a better sword-fighter than lancer..." She said, with just a hint of emberassment, standing by the side. It seemed Edora's forthward treatment of her companion had made Melana open up a little.

The Quill held still for a moment when asked a question, then wrote out in it's usual, clean writing style: Not directly.
Which propably indicated a more distant nobility, perhaps a disowned side-branch.. or perhaps the question had been too broad, many peasant could claim the grandfather of a mother had married a lesser noble of Gavony if one traced roots back long enough.

Just then, a knock at the door startled the two. Well, not the knock itself, but the fact that the door swung open without the input of a hand required to open it, as a finely dressed man entered.

"A fine evening to you, Countess Edora Rosemont." The man smiled a warm smile, though his pale complexion and red sklera gave away his true nature, a nature that caused Melana to step forth in a bid to intercept the man.. only to hesitate as her eyes met the mans.. and step aside with her head bowed low.
Interestingly, so did the man, in a quite well postured way, bowing forth, then twirling his hand outwards, as if to take and kiss Edora's hand. If she extended hers, she would feel a coolness from his lips, followed by a thin smile as he leaned back, if she did not, the man would instead adjust the seam of his sleeve slightly, with a brow half raised in disapproving dismissal.
"I am Markus Virnheim Antonius von Stormkirk. I intended to pay visit at your ceremony by the morrow, but I heard you had send for me." He hesitated, his well mannered tone of voice getting a predatory subtone as his eyes seemed to pierce Edora. "You want to ask how I am able to enter uninvited, unquestioned." He mused, patting the wall by his side. "You see, my .. father build this hall, or well, had it build under specific instructions. Though admittedly, you added some lovely decor over the years.
I came to see the new countess for myself... though I must say, I did not expect quite such a sight. I wonder if you can impress me in other ways as well..."
he tipped his chin, a little haughty, despite acting with proper decorum, before he turned to Edora. "But do say, what would you desire of me, Lady Rosemont?"

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score
"I am wary enough. But I shall not fear to walk with angels or tread where they do not. Let the daylight belong to the sun, and the night time belong to the moonlight and shadows - at all hours am I prepared to dance."

Everything in its place and acknowledge the order of the universe. Align yourself with the stars and fight not against the terrible structure that binds eternity together, for that is the way of the Abyss, the way of Chaos, and the end of all Things. Such were the musings that held Edora in ponderance until the moment phased into the next, and she roused herself to action.

"I'll throw in a melee for the tournament if you'd prefer that, but the Joust is the event everyone turns out for. We can find you a lance and some practice time. Though even if you didn't win, it would be interesting to see what the mettle of other noble champions is around here. I'm afraid I don't pay the tourneys much mind - so much to do in the library and in the field. But I digress. The tourney and festival is what the people will want, AND it is an opportunity to appear cordial to the merchants AND the fox while not giving into them completely. The preparations can also keep my major domo busy and allow me time to join the archmage on an investigation."

She had then risen to use her quill, shrugged at the answer, satisfied that it wasn't a clear "Yes," which was all she really had been curious about. She had just finished placing the quill away when the unbidden entrance to her private chambers occurred, followed by the identification and cursory explanation offered by the vampire. It was designed to unsettle her, so she replaced her emotional response with a desire to analyse the situation and its oddities - a scholar's defense mechanism. The interaction with Melana, slight though it was, opened up questions.

She nodded in the same manner that Melana had to the Stromkirk - their communal strength was not to be ignored, even if this one in front of her might not be important.

"You heard that I had sent for you, specifically? Or are you the one appointed to speak to me on your elder's behalf?"

Test me, more like.

"Kind of you to explain the nature of my house's architecture. In truth, my first question was why you felt it necessary to eschew noble decorum? A lady's chambers are not to be entered so suddenly, lest the man in this case have crude intent... Do you have crude intent, m'lord?

She asked this question with a smile, deliberately coy, so as to tease the vampire into thinking its food may be playing back with it. In truth, it was a way to ask a poignant question in a manner that wouldn't insult him.

"Still," she pressed on, cutting off an immediate answer to her question, designed to push back and show confidence. "I suppose it is an honor that a young countess like myself could only desire a word and a Stromkirk were to come running so quickly and so eagerly to entreat with me. Be not too hasty though, milord. I would not want to be pressured into impressing you too much, too quickly - frivilous acts are wasteful, as I'm sure you well know. I suppose what I desire of the Stromkirks is to know where they stand - their interests, their desires, their expectations of decorum with my noble calling. You may or may not have had an accord with my father. His time has ended, and I am here now. I am interested in avoiding conflicts of interests - and maintaining order. That is something that the elders of your bloodline should appreciate. Yes?"

She assessed her situation. Her mage armor was still up, and her gloves were near at hand, if she required them, but it would be better to avoid an unnecessary fight. She was fairly certain that the one who approached her now was a nobody among the Stromkirks. All of them felt entitled over humanity, true, but they had their own hierarchy. Meeting with her was not the job of a true elder. This Markus was a test.

OP
Pervy

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

"I'm not much of a poet outside of odd moods. That said.. how to put it. It's not that I can not fight honorably, but my skills at a tournament might be.. rusty. The problem with fighting for a show is that, once the show ends, no one keeps to the same rules. That said, if you wish me to be your champion I'll strive to not emberass you. I think it could be an interesting idea and something to take the air out of those that would breathe down your neck all too hard. The merchants like such festivals for it is money, as do the thieves, whereas other nobles are distracted ... hopefully. And with your request to the thieves you have some money to spent either way." Melana shared her opinion on the matter.

"Hmhmhmhmn.." The vampire than mused at Edora, in what might as well be a bemused chuckle as an uttering of displeasure. Edora was keen eyed enough to pick up on the fact that this one didn't seem to like being reminded of his elders. His demeanour did not change much however, nor did he respond directly, smirking slightly and tilting her head when she pressed on.

"Ahahaha. Do you want me to have crude intent?" He smirked, looking upon Edora for a longer moment, his eyes burning, even if his voice sounded more jovial this time. "But no. I have no desire for you. Maybe if you've ripened a bit. Proven yourself. Have you ever looked at men younger than you and thought them immature? Then again, perhaps you'll strife to earn my interest? I do love to discuss Sir Markovs theorems on morality, though I fear it's a bit complex a read for one with so short a lifetime.."

He tipped his chin in a measured gesture. "I guess if I were to be quite blunt, I'd simply say, I'm here because I'm bored. You are true, about frivolous acts I mean, I could snip my fingers and have a night-maiden crawl to me in eagerness, but, well, one would expect that after a century or two a ladies intellect would finally ripen." He sighed and shrugged briefly, his eyes glowing with a piercing intensity at Edoras refusal to relent.. then however, he crossed his arms, with a well supressed hint of a displeased expression. "Enough of such trivial matters. Where we stand? What does the shepherd want of his sheep? We wish but your prosperity. I'm sure you know that the Falkenrath are the largest contributers to arts and sciences of Nephalia, after all, you enjoyed our education." Low ranking or not, he unsuprisingly came prepared. "Impressive grades, a certain drive and obsession, and a desire for order which will suit you well. Simply said, we're quite content seeing you .. improve upon what your father created. We'd like to see you stabilize things as they are, though we see no need to interfere in one way or the other, for now. But, as a matter of welcoming, consider yourself welcome at Stormkirk mannor, if you need to seek us out. Just make sure to display your houses insignia prominently to avoid.. misunderstandings." He emphatized this in a way that was not at all accidential.

"Beyond that.. the idea of a tournament you spoke about earlier sounds quite interesting. Perhaps we should send a warrior of ours to partake? No, that wouldn't be fair. Hmnn.." He stepped over to Melana, caressing a hand along her collar, pulling it down forcefully, with but a subtle shiver and tensing from the dark knight. "We could improve your bodyguard. Hchraaaah.." He hissed ever so slightly, seeming more ferocious for a moment.. before taking a step back. "Well, truthfully, no. We try to limit our numbers sensibly. We're not Falkenrath Abschaum now, are we? Oh ho ho ho. Perhaps one of our famous blademasters could spare a few hours at your request though. Hmnn.. Well then... Countess Rosemont, by your leave" He nodded, unable to hide just a hint of mockery in his tone and smiling as if he had just made an amusing joke, stepping back, before glancing back over to Edora. Melana meanwhile was tensing, a closer glance revealing the whiteness of her knuckles around the grip of her sword. It was obvious she shook off whatever the vampire did to her earlier than he thought with the shock just now, her eyes filled with an emberassed glare, propably more the expression this vampire wanted to get out of Edora.

Last edited:

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score
"All men are boys, milord. Whether they be under ripe or over ripe. I'm personally attracted to others who are more in my age category - no offense. It's merely the first law of alchemy: things mixed unequally cannot find a balance, and inevitably in some quarters are trapped in entropy and death."

Edora forced a smile at the vampire.

"That the Stromkirks are patrons to the arts and sciences is indeed a wonderful thing. All of Nephalia owes a great deal off thanks for that. There is much that your long years of knowledge can do to excel the learning of new blood - the more minds exposed to knowledge, the further advanced a civilization will become. I thank you as well for your open invitation to the manner - if ever we have need to visit, the insignia shall be worn."

It did not escape her notice that he mentioned the tournament, even though he had not been in the room when she had said any such thing (or at least had not appeared to be.) It was strange that he should barge in and boast so plainly that she did not have privacy here. Now she was sure to arrange for a better sanctum. A blunder by his part? Surely if it were, his elders would punish him for it. So she must assume it deliberate. To intimidate her? More likely, but still amateurish. Perhaps it was a flaw of their kind to act too boldly and arrogantly. She retained a dignified and diplomatic tone, still observing manners even if he was making a slight mockery of them.

"Perhaps. The Stromkirk Blademasters are famed for their skills. Good morrow to you, milord."

She let him leave, and then stepped to Melena once he had left and patted her upon the arm.

"Glamoured you, did he? No matter. This was just posturing and prodding - maybe he really was bored."

Last edited:
OP
Pervy

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

(The stormkirks are the patrons to arts and etc, mixed up my vampire-tribes derp a derp. Falkenraths are half-feral, and the de-facto lowest tribe, the Voldaren are or act as nobles and the Markovs are the leaders and magic users. Stormkirks are often philantropists and the primary tribe of Nephalia, you might encounter other vampires in this region, but not without a good reason.)

"Yes, yes, entropy and death reach your kind far too swiftly in all matters.. but nonetheless, perhaps I'll go enjoy this towns night-life." He proclaimed with a certain emphasis, wandering out.

Melana meanwhile had narrowed her eyes. "I'd like to posture him upon a rack and poke him with a wooden stake... It seems my.. mind is too weak." She complained, though as usual more or less composed in her anger.. though her expression gave away that this particular vampire did not want to find himself alone with an uncharmed Melana. "Their arrogance is asenine and by all accounts, these ones are the least worst. I have no idea how you can remain so composed..
Well, at least we hopefully made it through your.. visits for the day. Do you wish to rest now M'lady? Due to.. recent events I suggest you lock the door."

It was getting a little late, adrenaline rush from nightly undead visits aside.

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Once the vampire had truly left, Edora did let a long breath out through flared nostrils and a slight shake of her head. A pompous windbag in undead flesh, that one. She knew there were Stromkirks of intelligence and grace, but sadly for all their vaunted "selection criteria" they did seem to let in some odd choices to their blood sucking coterie. What value was there in preserving a mind that could not discuss the basics of science, magic, or some useful trade? What was the subject matter he'd name-dropped? Markov's treatise on morality? Some bloviated manifesto that excused decadence and the right of might most likely, and unconcerned with progress. She personally saw a use for true patrons of the arts and sciences, even 'monsters' such as the vampires, but they had better send a better representative if ever she were going to work with them properly.

She mentally checked herself. More likely her gentleman caller was not their true representative. Not unlike her new stablehand, organizations required an expendable middleman sometimes.

"We mustn't kick the hornet's nest just because the opportunity presents itself, Melena. His glamour will not work so well next time, as you will practice steeling yourself. Honestly, his eagerness to prove his superiority has done little but to provide us a clear list of things to do to prepare against the Stromkirks if ever they decided to truly move against us. If he were my underling, he'd be under my own rack. I'll make sure to thank his betters for sending him and alerting us to how effective glamouring methods are and giving lessons on architecture as it lends itself to the vampiric rites of hospitality and forbiddance. They'll crucify him for his recklessness and he'll have none to blame except himself."

Edora smirked cruelly, patting her bodyguard's shoulder reassuringly. Yes, Edora was quite capable of malice and mercy in equal measure.

"I supppose that is why I remained composed. By the way he entered and the childish lines he used, I knew I was in no real danger, and his blustering was evident to see. The fly was playing at being a spider, and it was amusing to watch him admit boredom when he couldn't keep up. How then can I remain angry when I see such a fragile cur pissing about? But his glamour of you is a slight I shan't forget."

She moved away to the bed and began to undress herself, changing into her night shift.

"Yes, I shall rest now. The day has been long and tense, and I doubt it will get better anytime soon. I don't suspect it will matter, but we'll lock the door."

In her own mind, Edora was already thinking about constructing a new dwelling. Something more to her style. The traditional house would remain - she wasn't about to dismiss Rosemont tradition. But the noblewoman had always envisaged herself in her own wizard's tower someday - there was no reason to delay that - and to oversee the construction herself, perhaps with some nice wards from her budding friends in the Church, and some countermeasures of her own against immortal and mortal intrusion alike. She would very much like to put a sour face on every single doubter who thought they were going to pull one over on her rule. One day, they would all come to learn that neither wizards nor Rosemonts, but especially not a wizarding Rosemont, was to be fucked with.

"Well then. Good night."

OP
Pervy

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Melana listened to Edora with a slight chuckle, and bowed out, albeit a little too late to miss some of Edora's nudity. "Good night m'lady." She said with a bit of a chuckle as she stepped out. As Edora's bodyguard her quarter was close enough that a loud shout would alert whom Edora had already gotten to know as a light sleeper.

Edora's dreams were an odd mess, hard to focus on.. a lot had happened in these past two days after all. In her dreams she was visited by Arvon Stormkirk rather than this Markus fellow and for some reason, there was a chalk board in her room.:
"Now. We do remember the law of equilibrium, yes? For both magic and alchemy, an equal amount of force must be invested for a result to occur. While it may seem to the uninitiated that you create a flame out of nothing, just by mixing a liquid and a powder, the flame was already innate in the material. While it may seem more abstract with magic, in truth you use the magical potential all around you and channel it with the knowledge you aquired." He taught a basic principle, more memory than dream, though as soon as Edora wondered how this pertained to her current situation, the dream took on a darker tone.
"So, death was already innate in him." Suddenly, Edora stood in the crypt, with her father. "And the reaction-catalyst is fairly obvious too. But who was the alchemist! Who?" Suddenly, Edora found herself being looked upon by several people, some faces she had just recently met, all nonsensical, as she was often privately tutored. Vincent, Melana, The Archmage, The Lunarch, even the Merchant-guy all looking at her as she struggled to find the right answer.

Wait! This wasn't fair. She couldn't possibly now this. It was an unfair question! She jerked up to insist upon this... and blinked a little as the morning light shining through her window blinded her.

-Although it was not much of a physical adventure, encountering all the different representatives was still a learning experience for Edora, who spents some time in the morning studying up on her spells.. seeing the things ahead and her plans, she might well need them.
(Cue level-up music; just edit your sheet when convenient. Btw, as your bodyguard Melana automatically follows about half a level behind.)-

Edora spent the morning alone unless she called for a maid, perhaps Vincent had ordered everyone to give the new countess some space, or perhaps they weren't quite sure how to treat the new countess. If she delayed too long, someone would come looking for her for the purpose of ceremony. Melana remained pretty silent herself unless called upon, apparently a little glum after yesterdays vampiric encounter still.

Last edited:

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score
The dreams that she entered into ran together for the most part. Some were seemingly inconsequential and ultimately emotional in the greater balance. Images and memories of her father, and the times she shared with him. Sadness was there, but not as much as there should have been. It was odd. She should have felt more. Perhaps it was the tension and the stress of her current predicament. At some point soon, the true loss would hit her like a hammer struck the iron on an anvil, but for now, the mystery of Count Rosemont's murder consumed the tides of Morpheus.

Death was an innate state, entirely natural, which was the resting point for all life. The thrum of life, it had once been labeled, was like a string on an instrument, plucked by fate and vibrating more or less wildly, with its frequency, adding either harmony or discord or some mixture of both to the grand performance that was the orchestra of all life. Eventually the vibration ends. At times it is allowed to drown out slowly, or at other times, it is touched and stopped deliberately or by accident. All vibration, no matter how grandly struck, coursed naturally to stillness. Arvon Stromkirk had smiled when he told them that this was how the Touch of Death spell worked. That it touched the vibration of a mortal's coil and stilled it. A fascinating treatise, on a theoretical spell well beyond her current capability, and outside of her field of study, yet she had enjoyed the lecture nonetheless. Now this memory surfaced again, alongside Arvon's instruction on the law of equilibrium. Magic touched many things - for life was not the only thing that thrummed throughout the multiverse. Portals opened and closed, gravity pulled, fire exploded, and earth quaked. All could be adjusted.

The question of her father's murderer flashed in her mind. Impossible to know for certain just yet. The facts of the case had not been catalogued. She must investigate further. There was a plot in all this. Could it have been only to trade one Rosemont for another? How she resented this notion, for it smacked of folly and disrespect.

In the morning she composed herself. She called for breakfast to be taken in her room. Then called again for her handmaids to dress her. Word was sent to Melena that the Countess was awake and readying to move. Breakfast for the knight was provided too. She was not in a rush, but resolved to seek Vincent out before the need to rouse her was called for. The ceremony, she informed him, was to be a solemn affair in the Church, out of respect for the passing of her father and acknowledgement of the Faith. Those who had met with her yesterday, aside from the grinning fox and the Stromkirks (due to daylight hours) were invited to observe. An announcement in the town square was made, and there would be a public procession, where she would allow the people to see her as she rode through the streets in her carriage.