What's new

A Pirate's (Un)Life for me! (Rovana)

OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: A Pirate's (Un)Life for me! (Rovana)

Battle on Yesterhill

Rovana tumbled and twirled around the druid, and used her spear as a feint before stabbing the man with her sabre, drawing out a cry from the bearded savage shaman.

Meanwhile, Damia and Neku combined to stab, slash, and eye-gouge the vine blight, taking it down in a flurry of strikes. Stumbling out of the mess of dying vines, the pair ran from the twig blights, leaping and vaulting over them as they rushed to catch up with Rovana.

The druid gibbered his rough-tongued language and the skin on his body hardened into a thickened wooden bark substance, protecting him further from future attacks.

The twigs swarmed towards the pirate, the first two reaching side-by-side with the druid and lashing out. One of them managed to claw into Rovana's leg and rip down the side of it, opening up her pants to reveal her cut leg.

[Rovana takes 7 damage from a critical hit from a twig blight. Clothing rips! Yay?]

Up from the other side of the hill the rushing figures of Jowai and Sir Aran were sprinting towards the circle of lightning and the giant effigy, which was the shortest path to aid Rovana...

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Captain Rovana
The slow, fighting retreat from Yester Hill.

"Thats for your spell, bastard. Want to trade me blow, for blow, oh you shall regret that so." As her blade spun dextrously she wasn't quite sure if she was channeling pirate or noble right now. It ended up being a weird mix of graceful and intimidating again, this time without trying to impress Ludmilla.

"Ow, blasted little thing.. " Rovana growled with the twig-creature cutting at her. Frankly, at this point she'd rather just retreat all the way, not feeling all too well anymore, her body still numb from the shock and now with the little plant-monster attempting to give her a botched pubic shaving, legs included. She cursed her creative mind as it decided to lustfully come up with an image of Ludmilla doing just this, much more skillfully of course, to her pretty blood-doll pirate.
Though with Damia and Neku just arriving by her side and the danger of the druids spells still present and ready to take out not just her but also potentially the beaten up Damia, she had to withdraw fighting. Sure you don't want to be working for me at least a little? I understand, a pirates blade for a pirate, a spear for the queen, just saying, a blood infusion would be quite welcomed at this point. She remarked in thoughts at the spear, poking it in the general direction of the twig-ling, though it couldn't really help her as assisting weapon.

Meanwhile, although not quite as confident she could hit the magic'd up druid after all this, she cut at the mans throat with unforgiving accuracy as she spun the spear on, but knowing better than attack with a large, unknown weapon in hand slamming it into the ground behind her at an odd angle.. until she pushed up against it, compensating for her wounded leg by pole-vaulting away from the druid and horde of blights, landing with an audible groan as she came down upon both legs and purposefully steering a little to the left as she swiftly made her way downhill. Further support would be from her crossbow, she thought, first looking ahead before she looked back to see if her attack had been any effective. True, the old Rovana would have gloated, taunted, and attempted to take out the remainder of the little twig-things, however, that Rovana had died,.. rather literally, and learned that victory ment little if you didn't live to tell of it.

"Spread thee back- to starboard, avoid the circle, it calls down lightning, open your lines for us, then close them again to retreat, I will not lose any of my crew to this frivolous foliage!" She shouted in a commanding tone over at Jowai and Sir Aran, which was assisted by the fact that, with blade and spear held steady at a downward angle, cloak and long, blonde hair flowing behind her as she rushed out of the little blight-creatures reach, Rovana looked more than she'd have believed like one of the heroes in the stories she had only thought herself to be able to be part in as a piratey villain before. Admittedly, her almost china-dress like outfit cut from the small blight didn't perfectly fit into that picture though.

Using bonus action to disengage again because screw the blightlings, move action to get away and move towards Jowai and Sir Aran, on the left side of the stone circle.

Cutlass attack on druid: Roll(1d20)+6:
20,+6
Total:26

.. Assuming that certainly hits past the barkskin, critical sneak attack from her cursed cutlass for a total of 26 damage.
Roll(4d6)+4:
2,5,3,1,+4
Total:15
Roll(2d8)+0:
8,3,+0
Total:11

Because I'm on a roll, acrobatics check for her vault-jumping away stylishly:
Roll(1d20)+6:
10,+6
Total:16

Last edited:
OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Battle at Yester Hill

The druid's new barkskin was not resistance enough to keep his neck on his shoulders. Rovana's blade cut the babbling savage druid's head clean off, and with a gush of blood his body sagged to the ground. Almost immediately the twig blights near him leaped at his bloody stump and began to drink eagerly of the deadman's lifesblood.

This allowed Neku, Damia and Rovana to rally together and link up with Jowai and Sir Aran.

The revenant's red eyes were focused on the 30 foot tall effigy to Strahd.

"This monstrosity... MUST. BE. BROUGHT. DOWN." He gripped the handle of his greatsword tightly.

"Go if you will. Leave this place. But my eternal purpose shall be to destroy the works of all Strahd's followers."

Lightning crackled and struck the ring of rocks that surrounded the tall wooden monument in the shape of the dark lord of Ravenloft.

"We have what we came for," Neku said, holding up the axe, whose edge was covered in blood-sap. "No reason to risk our lives just for some ornamental reason."

"Is not the putting to rest of your order's founder more important?" Damia added, seeing as the others did that the revenant seemed compelled to march toward the ring of stones.

"I was not risen from my grave for acts of peace and restoration, though I may long for them. Hatred is what drives my undead flesh. I must not let this thing stand!"

Jowai sniffed. "This whole place stinks something fierce... was that wood-skinned scum the only man you faced, Rovana? Where's all the other followers that this dead knight's been seeing? Must be somewhere."

"He's right. This place holds more danger than we're prepared for." Neku added. "We should focus on survival first."

The revenant didn't seem like he was ready to budge on his course, but perhaps Rovana had something to convince him. The twig blights behind them were still busy drinking blood, but the dead trees from the copse were thrashing wildly in a lack of wind, suggesting some devilry was going on there.

"What do you say, captain?" Damia asked softly, tenderly clutching the wound in her own leg.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Captain Rovana
The retreat from Yester Hill.

"Huh.." Rovana remarked, not too articulate, at her own efficency, then added.. "These things are messed up.. but this helps.." She looked at Sir Aran. "It's just a statue.. but the lightning rod and druids magic worry me. I can't fault you for wanting to mess it up. If your memory carries over to your next ..life, remember meet me, Tsolenka pass." Rovana nodded, not at all in the mood to stop the .. Deathknight? She figured he was one. She nodded in agreement with Neku.

"I don't know where the others are Jowai, but I'd like to relocate to where they are not. See, the thirst for alcohol, riches and pretty wenches drives me living body, none are to be found here." She reaffixed the spear to her back first. She nodded to the others. "Sorry for the lack of fun you had here Jowai, but for now, we'll be needing to retreat and recover.. Let's retreat to the horses, see what that nearby town has to offer." Rovana grinned, feeling the spear against her back as she wiped the blood off of her blade, more or less, and sheated it. "I hate to be asking for the captains right to first loot, but lets bundle up this axe and head out.. I owe ye some treasure down the line. she nodded at Neku, seeming oddly apologetic and more requesting than demanding of the axe, despite needing it in her quest and him obviously not able to use it well, by the code the weapon was his, not hers.

"Got what I came for and then some. Sir Aran? Let your blade cut true. Do me a favor and stick your blade deep within that ugly things face before ye expire." Rovana said, encouraging rather than trying to dissuade the undying knight, before turning, preparing to rush down the hill back to the horses.. and onwards, if nothing stepped into her way. She'd find someone to patch her up, or, if the town turned her down, at least a safe place to rest for a short while.

OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Yester Hill

"Should I fall, I may take some time to rise again and travel to the pass. But I will go there, if no further art of Strahd requires my attention." Sir Aran said.

Rovana's knowledge of the undead was not extensive. The man was certainly dead, and had been a knight, so the term 'death knight' seemed to fit him. The nature of his undead powers were unknown to her however. Her homeland had monsters and undead within it, but without first hand knowledge of them, her understanding of unnatural creatures came from sailor's tales within the Great Bay.

"All of those things are here," Damia said, frowning at Rovana's dismissal of her homeland. "You have a treasure strapped to your back, you have yet to acquire a taste for wine, but that's your own problem, and as for pretty wenches not being here..." She narrowed her eyes at the captain and gestured to herself, as if in askance for what exactly she was to be considered.

"If you're not just partial to wenches, I'm sure I could offer my services captain," Neku said with a charmer's smile as he handed over the axe to Rovana without much arguing.

"Take it. As in love-making and battle, my greatest tool is my body, and the will to push it to its limits. I'll show you sometime, if you like."

Jowai meanwhile just grunted and withdrew with the others, looking about and acting as a rearguard as they made their way to the horses. Sir Aran remained near the top of the hill, watching them leave before turning and marching into the circle of stones, with lightning flashing around the top of the hill.

As they rode away, Sir Aran could be heard yelling oaths of damnation to Strahd, which were swiftly followed by the ringing of steel, the flashing thundercrack of more lightning, and flames erupted against the misty dark sky of early afternoon in Barovia.

---

The four riders backtracked north, through the dense woodland trail, cutting past the glade and the fork that would take them towards an unspecified vineyard. They pressed on until once again they reached well-trodden Old Svalich Road after another mile or so. As the group approached the bridge over the Raven River, there came a sudden and tumultuous shaking, as the land quaked around them.

Throughout the valley a terrible noise - like a moaning and a screeching combined, reverberated from peak to peak, sweeping through the woods like a hurricane gale, and rippling the waters as though they were the smashing of the swelling tides against rocky cliffshores.

A flash flood of water overran the banks of the river, crashing over the bridge. The horses whinied and backed away from the water even as it sloshed around their hooves. The wailing continued to grow in intensity, its alien-sounding source unlike anything that the pirate had heard or ever wanted to hear again.

Inside Rovana's mind, a vision of a great beast swirling in darkness at the very depths of an ink black ocean struck her. She had experienced true fear before, but this fear that she felt now was maddening, threatening to overwhelm her, body and mind. As this happened, the cutlass at Rovana's side grew ice cold.

[Must make a DC 13 Wisdom Save. You have advantage on this roll.]

Regardless of the battle for her sanity, the pirate would come to with a start, noticing that some small time had gone by, for the valley was silent and the floodwaters had receded back into the river banks. Strangely enough, the familiar smell of saltwater was in the air.

To her left Damia was shivering, and repeating a string of nonsense words to herself. It was in another language, possibly the one that had been used between the Vistani when they were not speaking to outsiders. The only bit she could make out was a sudden phrase in common speech: "...gouge out the fish eyes, for they taste divine..."

To her right, Neku's jaw had gone taught and he too was repeating a mantra.

"I have no fear, for fear is the little death that kills me over and over. Without fear, I die but once. I have no fear, for fear is the little death that kills me over and over. Without fear, I die but once. I have no fear..."

To her far right, Jowai the half-orc was staring straight ahead, unblinkingly, his right hand squeezing an imprint into his left forearm, the tips of his clawed fingernails drawing blood from the power of his white-knuckled grip.

Rovana discovered that she had been showing her own signs of terror as well, whatever those might have been.

[If she makes her save, she may simply remember this as a horrid experience. If she does not make the save, she is highly disturbed and will acquire a form of madness.]

Washing up along the shore, and levitating out of the water was a figure that was at once both unusual and yet familiar to Rovana. It was Molly, the spectre that had haunted her days ever since that terrible storm. She was different now. Bound to water, she looked now like some sort of fey creature or an elemental.

"Rovana! Rovana!... Dagon stirs in his slumber! The vestige is awakening! We must hurry, or our souls shall be lost!"

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Captain Rovana
The Ravenriver bridge vision and Molly

"We'll, how to put it.. unless you are interested in busying both these men.., we have to work on other things.. like restocking the ship.. we aren't sailing with at least a months worth of supplies.. and.. riches need be more glittering than anything we can find here." Rovana took and wraped up the axe, grinning slightly at Neku "I mean... yes magical treasure is great, but.. A good pirate needs a chest of glittering coins! Theres always one in the stories.." She said, as if this was reason enough.

"Oooh I wonder what you can convince me of.. that said, I am promised to another.. kind of. its . complicated. Perhaps we shall ask her, I am not the coy type. Oh and no offense at yer, Damia. You are a valued Wench!" She winked over, a playful revenge for the notion of her.. acclimating to wine.

Rovana didn't feel all too bad leaving the undead behind.. not like he'd stay down forever.

"All in all, this went rather well, if you ask me Just got to peek at Tsolenka pass for a thing or two, restock my ship. oh.. and find a way to complete the easy task of someone de-crazying a crazed mage... oh and while at it, I wonder if we ca learn about Ludmilla and her people.." She mused, then chuckled.. then, as they crossed the river, was less.. jovial, shielding herself from the impending flash flood, gasping in shock. "Strong waters starboard, watch out.. woaah!" Unsuprisingly, she was a good swimmer, so this sudden turn of events didn't hit her all too hard. Then, she gazed in the depths... and the depths gazed back at her.

Rovana then panted, as if suddenly out of breath as she found herself feeling some malignant presence in the depths, with luck and determination shaking off its effects.
"Haah.. haah.. is that all you can do? Deep waters? I fear NOTHING but the code!" She taunted(admittedly after the scene had passed and she realized she was still alive), clearing her throat, she had been reaching for and gripping her sword, ice cold or not. "You don't rule the seas, the pirates do! I don't fear the waters, no matter how deep. In time, I might sail them all!" Rovanas growling helped calm herself down too, as she shook herself off a little, then looked about.

"Hey, you alright Damia? Ugh, she was hit worse it seems.. Dagon is starting to annoy me."

Rovanas way to handle true fear was to jump right at it and force it to its knees.. in that manner, she had gripped her sword tightly, perhaps tight enough to leave a mark, ice coldly so, if that had really been cold and not an illusion. Moreso, she had used her command over water to try and drive the water back to where it came from, of course, a pathetic attempt in comparison, but perhaps also the main reason she had remained standing like this. She looked at Joe. "What's ye make of this, undead companion?" Though, Molly answered in the parrots place..

"Hoh, now you show up..my more talkative shadow. Not when I was dead and alone, eh. Oh we must hurry? Well and here I was about kicking me boots back and relaxing. Do you think a pirate fears a bit of water splashing and.. ugh.." She looked at her scattered companions. Clearly, things weren't well. Frankly, only her adrenaline rush and tendency to threaten rather than curl up had helped her over the vision, a part of her wanting to huddle up to Ludmilla rather than encounter this Dagon, going by just what she'd seen in visions.. "Listen, as much as I want to deal with the bastard, I don't know how, other than stabbing my sword into him, besides that, I'm still injured from doing another thing or two, and some mad bastard hides the key to my sword.. in exchange for a chance to his sanity.. and, looking about, all of us could use a buket full of that. I'll even not use mine and share it with others, but got none to spare. .... also.. I'm kinda thinking you're lying." Rovana flat out said.

"I think only your soul hangs in the balance. Mine feels fine and perhaps you said the creature was onto mine to make sure I'd help ya, but only soul thats gonna be lost are those that agree to some of his shenanigans. You can't just steal souls away from people like that. I even died and while a lot of weird things happened, Dagon wasn't the problem, the damned vampire was.
Now to be clear, you saved me, so I owe to help you, but unless you have any bright ideas where to start, I shall go with my plan, which is rest and restock at the nearest town, one nights sound sleep with meal to recover in peace for us is more than needed. That and I fear.. a cleric that can actually do a thing about curses, or a way to slay powerful wizards as less prefered option."
She was convinced that her soul wasn't in danger, after all, would she still have been able to sell it in a fiendish contract then? Plus, one hand gesturing to her cut leg indicated that they were not at all ready to fight the creature. though she still wanted to stop dagon, out of principle, there was one thing to consider: "Besides.. these lands are messed up anyway. Give me a reason why I shouldn't hide out, let this damned fish thing and Strahd solve these things with each other. It's not like people here would suffer more or less under fish people and dagon than wolfes and Strahd, right? Let that damned Vampire fear every puddle in 'his' kindgom, serves him just right! Who knows, perhaps both mess up each other, best case.."

(Edit, dang part of it got mashed up uneditedly, had to rewrite.)

Wisdom check: 19 with advantage!"

Last edited:
OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

DM
Raven River

"Wealth is not merely measured in coins," Damia observed.

"There's many who would question that," Neku said with a grin to the Vistana, then chuckled in response to the captain. "Ah, promised is it? You'll have to pardon me, but most seductive, assertive lady captains tend to be the rough and tumble, polyamorous types."

Damia chose to take the valued wench comment positively. She wasn't bothered by the title, only at not being valued. But that was when the ground and sky and water all shifted and tumbled at once, and the wailing crossed the valley. The charming laughter ran away from her face, and all four companions began to quake with the oncoming wave of supernatural fear.

"I... I am fine. What you heard wasn't me going crazy. It was just me reverting to ah... a specialized thieves' cant." Damia replied, though her face was pale. For her own part, Rovana was familiar with the dialect of thieves, and while there might be some truth to what Damia was saying, whatever she said certainly went beyond a normal thieves' cant. Must be some sort of Vistani thing.

~~~

Molly's apparition in watery form grew cold in its visage, which was uncharacteristic for the ghost. In the time she'd known Molly, the girl had mostly just followed her, hardly speaking a word, and always seeming sorrowful and passive. Now, in this moment, she was agitated, but in an active, almost aggressive manner. She moved closer until she was right in Rovana's face.

"Do you think I have remained idle while you played dead with the vampires? I have been dragged, kicking and screaming through the darkness ethereal where the vestige of darkness lurks! I have seen the sleeping madness that is Dagon! And I have watched it stir! He has followers! Worshippers! They gather on a fortified village in a sea of mists upon a great rock jutting out of deep waters. They are drowning people to wake him! Offering their souls to him in order to bring his shade into consciousness. In four nights, the stars will be right, and he shall consume the last souls that he needs - the souls who brought him into this realm! Our souls, Rovana! Yours and mine. This was only the first step. We will be powerless to avoid his call. We must gather the items as Madame Eva said! The empowered blade can protect us! But they know you are here. They are hunting for you now. They come from the sea... the sea which now connects to this realm."

The suddenly talkative ghost pointed northward, upriver, where undeniably, the scent of a saltwater sea was wafting along the breeze. And something rotten with it as well.

Looking at the waters of the Raven River, heads had begun to surface from the water. A dozen or so creatures... humanoids with the features of fish and man. They moved as dead things do, and they groaned as they crawled from the shore.

"Rold? McKoer? Sazz?" Neku intoned in wonder as he peered closely at these oncoming dead things. "Jowai, do you see them? It's the missing members of our crew! What has become of them?"

"Drowned." The half-orc's voice trembled in a whisper. "Drowned in the cold darkness. We mustn't touch the water. Never touch the water!"

The half-orc drew his blade, a wild look in his eyes. Rovana got the feeling that it was Jowai who had suffered the worst from the strange calling of fear.

Molly then growled.

"I'm not lying! If you don't get that jewel, find those scrolls and empower that sword, then we're both going to bite it, permanently."

Molly passed through Rovana in a huff, her ethereal body not touching or affecting the pirate.

"I never asked for any of this. You want to know the real reason I haunt you? Because your soul is the reason I'm in this mess to begin with! You, who were so certain making a deal with dark powers was going to get us both out of this place. And then when we both died horribly and were stuck at the bottom of an ocean, it was you who took that drowned girls' body and memories as your own, leaving me to wallow after you, not even knowing how to speak to you anymore. Well I can speak now, bitch, and I'm not letting you abandon me again. Not like last time, Dilisnya!"

With that, Molly winked out of existence, leaving Rovana sitting upon her horse, next to her three crew.

[Insight check: 16. Rovana gets the feeling that Molly believed in everything she was saying just then.]

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Captain Rovana
The Ravenriver bridge vision and Molly

Rovana raised an eyebrow at Damias.. cant, but decided that, unless the Vistana soon tried to squeeze cheese to get the cows out or dry up some water, she'd let this one slip by.

"Well, it's not like any that happened to you was on me!" She responded to Molly. "I've also had an evil vampire lord and devil worshippers to deal with, best chance I got to do something about the fish situation I decapitated one, so don't fault me for my efforts, aye?" She tipped her chin, then added: "Also, crazed druid-things, them mage, as well as my own shadow and all that with little to no rum." Rovana shrugged slightly, then grinned.

"So, what you are saying I have four days. Thats a plenty of time. While I'd like to stop them from sacrificing people about, I'd like to point out that I can't defeat OR heal a crazed mage, so unless you have any bright suggestions.." Rovana leaned closer. "Get outta my face. I'd rather keep me soul, but if thats the price to pay, I can simply make sure it isn't in me anymore in four days, I got an interesting offer from hell already. That should mess up the ritual as well." Rovana pointed out, inhaling the salty air with a smile.. that turned into a frown at the rotten smell.

"Listen, I.. uh.. wait." She raised a hand at Molly and then, something happened that not Strahd, not Dagon, not even death had managed, for long, Rovana... wasn't sure what to say. Molly sounded sincere, though she couldn't be sure. (Insight 13).

"Wait what..?" Rovana blinked, looking down at her horse, and the lack of Molly. ".. right.. four days. .. Ride.. RIDE!" She pointed down the road, towards the city.. and away from the waters, her brows furrowed in thought, as she cracked the reigns of her horse. One way or the other, they needed to rest before safely risking another large fight, judging by the state of her and Damias bodies.. and Jowais mind.

Last edited:
OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

The road to Krezk.

The horses clip clattered across the soaking wet bridge to the western side of the river, with the moaning dead things starting to gather pace, moving faster than the typical shambler, but not fast enough to give chase to the horses. Damia, Neku and Jowai swiftly followed without need for encouragement. In a matter of perhaps 10 minutes swift riding, the town of Krezk came into view.

The road branched north and climbed a rocky escarpment, ending at a gatehouse built into a twenty-foot-high wall of stone reinforced with buttresses every fifty feet or so. The wall enclosed a settlement on the side of a snowdusted mountain spur. Beyond the wall Rovana saw the tops of snow-covered pines and thin, white wisps of smoke.

The somber toll of a bell tolled from a stone abbey that clung to the mountainside high above the settlement. The steady chime was inviting-a welcome change from the deathly silence and oppressive fog to which the pirate had grown accustomed. It was hard to tell at this distance, but there seemed to be a switchback road clinging to the cliffs that lead up from the walled settlement to the abbey.

The air grew colder as the four approached the walled settlement. Two square towers with peaked roofs flanked a stone archway into which was set a pair of twelve-foot-tall, iron bound wooden doors. Carved into the arch above the doors was a name: Krezk. The walls that extended from the gatehouse were twenty feet high. Atop the parapet could be seen four figures wearing fur hats and clutching spears. They watched the riders approach with apprehension.

One calls out to you, a man, young in his years and dark in his complexion.

"Halt. Whoever you are, I advise you to turn back! By order of Baron Krezkov, until whatever evil event has just happened to the north, no visitors are being allowed into Krezk. There's been too many kidnappings of late, and we can't afford to let more strangers in. I'm sorry, but turn back towards Vallaki while there is daylight left!"

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Rovana.. right?
On the roak to Krezk

The sound of hooves was the only thing to accompany them for a while, at least as far as Rovana was concerned. There had always been the simple excuse of being a pirate for her. Currently.. she wasn't quite sure what to think. Looking back at what had happened, was it possible she misunderstood just who had made the bargain that brought her here? She looked over to Joe for a long moment. A loyal companion, just as Molly. Ever since she had gotten to these lands she had felt a growing noble calling, whilest the bird had be the piratey one. She didn't quite believe in a proper afterlife, which was odd, considering her experieces, but she didn't believe in an afterlife -for her-. But perhaps a pirate could be reincarnated?

She shook her head. Well, by that same right, Molly could be wrong. She said she had posessed Rovana, saved her life. Plus, yes, Joe could speak, but he wasn't smarter than a bird. And she couldn't believe Rovana ..

Just thinking it made her hesitate.

She couldn't believe Rovana had just.. passed on. I remember it all. The good and the bad. I remember the burning desire to be a pirate. I still want.. want to be free. Well damn, that could be the desire of either. Alright.. what about how it felt wrong, when others sacrificed for me and I didn't just take advantage and went on? Well, I did take advantage, Tristram, whatever they called her as vampire, the Baroness.. then again, telling her to stay strong wouldn't have helped anyone, and who could have known the Baron wasn't the craziest one, compared to that devil worshipper. I want to help the lost souls and was fascinated with the Dilisyna family almost as soon as I heard of them.. but I am fascinated with pirates too, all those that rebel against tyranny, really.. and well, after learning how it feels, who would not want to help a soul thats lost like I was? Plus, I really like this cloak.. is it a coincidence it fits so well? Heh, I doubt anyone left a name-tag in it.. I need to as Ludmilla the name of the one she.. the one she loves... Ugh.. what does it matter if I'm Rovana or just someone a lot like her? Or was Rovana a lot like me? This is.. so strange.

She looked up as they approached the guardhouse of the fortifiedc city. More guards to deal with, she sighed inwardly. Not too welcoming either. Plus, her head felt all foggy. Then again, perhaps the guards could help her. She couldn't help but notice a bit of Ludmillas noble spirit and posture in the young man. Or perhaps she was just hopefully imagining these things. Perhaps she should stop worrying about who she was, pirate, hero, noble.. and just.. be. She slowed the horse down, approaching the gate, halting short enough that she didn't have to tilt her head all that much to look up.
"I don't need you to let us in, but call for a cleric to come out at a short notice, you can keep your weapons primed upon us to be on the safe side if we look as if we want to kidnap them afterwards. Tell them we have those in need of bandaging up and need the wisdom of one knowing how to break a curse. The damnable Strahd has stolen my shadow as your keen eyes can see true, I've heard you know how to undo such trickery.. and I'd rather not have a dangerous creature with my likeness running around these lands, if I can help it, for my honor, as well as everyones sake." Rovana said with a commanding subtone. She made sure to guide the horse a little close, allowing the guards to see the cut into her clothes and up her leg, which had the accidential advantage of looking bloody, without being all too unladylike. She also gave a brief wave to Damia to do the same.. not just because she too had gotten a beating from the blight-creaturs, but also because most men still responded better to women looking vunerable (and a part of her would rather the guards focus on the two of them, than the black eyed psion or orcish warrior. "Surely, Baron Krezkov doesn't want this fine town to be known as the one that turned away aid for the last heir of Dilisnya when he had a chance to do differently at little cost to himself." The pirate tipped her chin, briefly noting how there was a certain.. conviction in her voice now that she didn't bother trying to be one thing or another, then added.

"Also, some provisions for us and the horses, a good ale for my friends and a bit of strong wine for me, we can pay. -and a comb. Young man, you have no idea what the wildernis and riding does to a ladies hair." She added, pulling out and playing with one of the electrum coins, a hand absent mindedly brushing her long blonde hair, not actually -trying- to be seductive for a change. Then, no matter if her request had been obliged she waited a few moments, though, refused to chat with the guards, as if what she had said was something that she expected to be followed.. not questioned. She brushed along the horses flank and sent Joe to fly on high fo r amoment, using him to spy on the landscape that was stretching behind her.. to verify the undead were as relentless as she expected them to be actually.
If she saw that she was still being shamblingly pursued in the distance she'd nod to herself, then, finally, after mentally counting past a certain number she repeated.: "When I said to keep your weapons ready I ment it. At Attention!" She nodded to her companions too.
She put her coin away, then reached for her crossbow, drawing it, whilest at the same time commanding the men, with the harsher tone she had heard from Lady Wachter, giving her piratic accent a military sharpness at the four, or if one had followed her request, three remaining soldiers. "Arms at the ready!" She lifted her Crossbow.. then aimed behind herself, demonstratively slow turning her horse, back to the city. It'd be easy for any of the guards to shoot her in the back like this.. but then they'd be the guard that had shot someone in the back. "We've been fighting the kidnappers. Infact, some of their creatures are in pursuit of us and should be arriving soon. A horde of the undying, but not the usual kind. Drowned men, send by foul witchcraft. You should be able to see them before us from up there. Take Aim! Wait until they come within three steps distance, defend your town!" Rovana commanded calmly, steadying her crossbow, betting on the undead creatures relentless pursuit while she had been talking and waiting. She wasn't sure just how mindless the creatures she had seen were, but they didn't seem the type to stop short of an ambush- even if, driving the undead away for a while would be good enough for her.

Last edited:
OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

The Gates of Krezk

Rovana's burning thoughts and questions in her mind went unanswered. Molly's declaration had brought new perspective, but with it many new mysteries as well. Who was she, really? Was she Rovana, the girl from the Great Bay? Was she a Dilisnya of Barovia? How much could Molly really be trusted?

This and more would need to be divined later, for the guards of the gate to Krezk had made plain their reticence to allow entry to the four travelers, and the dogged pursuers, while still in the distance, were nevertheless on their way.

"A cleric?" The young guardsman seemed genuinely confused by the request and looked about at the other guards with their spears and longbows.

"Look... The Baron Krezkov just wants this town to be left alone. We neither support nor oppose Strahd. Outsiders just bring trouble, whether they are spies for the Count or his sworn enemies, both cases bring woe to our people. We just want to live in relative peace. Now even that can't be done, if what you say about your pursuers is true."

The guard tried to sound resolute, but the way Rovana had carried herself and invoked her commanding tone seemed to have him wavering.

Joe squawked and flew into the air, his one good eye roaming about for a minute before he returned out of the mists and alighted down upon Rovana's shoulder. The undead were coming, and at their head was a living thing... something that resembled the intruder that had been present in the Wachterhaus.

"Let them in, guardsman," another youthful man's voice said, only much calmer.

Looking back up at the parapet, the pirate captain would see a blond man in vestments standing among the guards. Unlike them, who were bundled up in winter clothes to deal with the cold at the high elevations, he was not clothed for warmth.

"Abbot?! Where did you? I mean... I can't, the Baron's orders -"

"Are not pertinent given the new development. Or do you intend to let them fight for their lives on the outside of the gate? Hm? What kind of a man does that make you?"

"A living one, Abbot," the man grumbled, but then relented. He nodded to a spear wielding guard who turned the lever in the guard tower which opened the gates just enough to allow the horses and riders through. Unless Rovana wanted to stay and confront the undead in hand to hand combat, she could pass through the gates and they would close behind her. The undead would come only to within range of arrow shot before being called to halt by their piscine leader who commanded them to halt and withdraw, seeing as the gates of the city were closed.

Inside the town, Rovana saw that it was organized in multiple terraces, with the whole down dominated by the looming presence of a great, fortified abbey. The door to the gatehouse opened, and the ageless and arguably beautiful blond and blue eyed man in the vestments approached him.

"You must forgive the townspeople here. A long history of sorrow leads to them being overly cautious. Welcome to Krezk. If you wish to rest, I recommend the Smoldering Ember Inn, there you can relax and eat."

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Captain Lady Rovana something?
Krezk Citywalls

Rovana was happy enough with wavering from the guards.. considering how she .. usually encountered those, this was quite the change of pace. "Undeads lead by a deep one.. fish thing, kill it dead when you see it." She said, mostly to her allies, though a keen eared guard could easily hear her as well.

When the new.. suprisingly young cleric changed the guards opinion she sheathed her crossbow again.

"Relaxing and eating sounds lovely. Also thanks for letting us in..." She looked at the abbot, though, saved herself her usual piratical.. responses. "Oh trust me, I've learned more about this towns history than it may appear.. though I'd love to learn more. One moment please.." She turned to her companions, dismounting her horse..

"Let's split up. Damia, I want you to rest from your wounds, your last sleep couldn't have been pleasant, given how we found you. Neku? Please take care of the horses and restocking of supplies we might need. I can give you the coin, if needed. Reserve me a room for myself, facing away from the abbey, if possible. Jowai? You look as if you could use a drink. No objections. Rest early, all of you, I expect to head out in moonlight.
On that note, going what happened with my last crew, no one start any trouble unless to defend yourself. If you are itching for a fight, there'll be more than enough in the future. Let's meet up at the inn."
She nodded, then turned to the Abbot, unless any of her companions spoke up about any concerns at her suggestion.

"I should keep my manners. I'm ... She hesitated briefly. "Call me Rovana Dilisnya. This is my crew. I apologize for bringing danger to your doorsteps, but my death might have worse consequences than just another soul lost upon these dark planes." Rovana still, subtly, shifted her verbiage and tone around, now in a way she thought members of the clergy would like to be spoken with. Clearly an aquired survival habit from a pirate.. Or was it a noble-womans manners? She sighed inwardly. Perhaps Ludmilla could help her ... find her path. For now she decided what mattered was future, not past. Then she hesitated, realizing that Rovana had much more lived in the present.
She banished her slightly conflicted expression after a moment, going on:

"I don't plan to stay to the morrow.. before you say it, I don't fear the night, but I'm on borrowed time and bring danger to these walls by just being here, to be honest. I've heard it say that the priesthood here knows a way to deal with the theft of a shadow... oh, and I met someone who has made paid a prize, gained a curse has ruined his memory and mind, can that be cured?

Besides that, I'm curious on some of that sad history of Krezk, from over a century ago, if you know a reliable book or someone that could tell me more.."

Last edited:
OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

The Abbot
The Mountain Town of Krezk

The young man smiled beatifically at the pirate captain.

"Letting you in is no trouble at all," he said, placing his hands over one another in a calm, priestly manner. He listened as the captain gave her orders.

Damia agreed readily to finding a bed to sleep in, though she missed the idea of sleeping in a Vistani colored wagon. Neku nodded and told her that he'd see about rooms and horse stabling, but then admitted that he and Jowai had been without coin since leaving their ship. She would have to give him some money... which it occurred to her now that she had been deprived of such things since being put into the box that had delivered her from the Wachterhaus to Lady Ludmilla.

"Perhaps you could find a way to earn some coin and provisions by talking to the Baron Krezkov?" The abbot offered, "though I could probably provide you four with a meal, if you wouldn't object to my presence at your table."

Assuming that his last invitation was well-received, he walked along side them and showed them the way to the Smoldering Ember Inn, which was a large building set directly into the rock of the steep rising mountainside, with a large square chimney belching smoke out the top of the roof.

As they approached, a stable boy came out to them, then seemed to turn pale as he saw who they were, or at least, who these strangers were with. The boy turned on the spot, ready to walk away when the Abbot called to him, quietly, but with a voice that seemed to carry.

"Four horses to stable, young Konrad. Don't be shy. Come now," the abbot said, to which the boy turned and reluctantly approached, keeping his eyes down. "There's a good lad," the young priest said.

"A pleasure to make your acquaintence, Rovana Dilisnya. What an intriguing surname you have. Did you know it was a proud noble line of Barovia? Died out a while ago, or so it seemed. I suppose that's not really a matter you're interested in though. So, a crew? Interesting."

They entered the inn and took a seat at a table close by to the central chimney hearth. The few commoners who were in the inn eyed them all with concern and barely concealed mistrust. No server approached them unless they deliberately called for one, and even then, it took the slow craning of the abbot's neck toward the kitchens to motivate them to come forward and take orders. The options were bread, rabbit stew, steamed radishes and wilted green salad, and if Rovana's crew were really keen, some home made blood sausage.

"Let me assure you, my lady, danger has never left this doorstep. But I am confident it will. One day soon perhaps." He paused, listening to Rovana go on about how brief her stay would be. He seemed intrigued about the mention of her shadow, his eyes glancing down to notice its absence.

"Well... yes and no. The priesthood of Krezk is not what it once was. There are a few devout personages here, but none approaches what I would call a priest here, save for myself. I however, am the Abbot of Saint Markovia's Abbey, and I have a duty to my charges here that keep me bound to Krezk for the foreseeable future. However, the Gods of Light do grant me some ability with healing wounds, both physical, mental, and of the soul. I might be able to aid you with such things, though the process involves me going out of my way quite a bit more than a simple meal. Perhaps if you could help me with something, I could then restore a shadow and a broken mind... is.... that the one you want me to cure?"

The Abbot indicated Jowai, who seemed to be twitching and muttering to himself about something that lurked beneath the waves...

"Books on history? Perhaps the Baron keeps things like that, though really, if you're looking for someone who could talk about this town for the past 100 years, I am well versed in that subject, you might say. Is there anything... specific you want to know?"

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Captain Lady Rovana something?
Krezk, entrance

"I err.." Rovana sighed, checking herself over. She did have a habit of hiding a coin or two, but that'd hardly be enough for all of them. "Damia, I do hope you have some gold to spare, else we'll have to.. cut down on the provisions." She tipped her chin. "Worst case, perhaps we could sell the axe, I'm sure it'll give us enough for a nights stay and some provisions." She looked over to the axes state, before peering to the abbot. "Well, the needs of the mundane." Rovana sighed, touching the beautiful necklace Ludmilla had entrusted to her.. no, she wouldn't. Their need wasn't that great. Plus the abbot did provide another way..

"Surely, you aren't just starving for rumours of the outside though." She looked at the abbot, curious about his generosity. "Well, .. if its no bother.." She chuckled. Truth be told, she'd not be about pick-pocketing a little to solve this.. issue, but if there was no need for it.. plus, walking with the abbot would spare them some questioning, if not only the guards were suspicious of outsiders. "Much appreciated. Not that I'd not be interested in what the Baron could offer, but I don't have the time."

"Actually, it is a matter I'm interested in. I know a few things, but what I really want to know is how they buried their dead." She raised a hand.. her respectfulness, even with her new.. attire and uncertainy about herself, had limites after all: "And I don't mean to hold an entire sermon, just the practical bits." She nodded, looking around as they entered the inn before continuing, after taking place and ordering both stew and raddishes, eating.. quite impressively for a woman her size, she had worked a fair deal, not to mention the blood-drain.

"I have some family business to finish. I guess." Rovana guessed it was indeed family business now. If Molly had been right. Even if not, she had already resolved to carry the Dilisnyas inheritance. And for her that ment dealing with Leos remains.

"Saint Markovia.. I heard that somewhere.. Oh yeah,.. obviously. Now that I think about it, her outfit was somewhat like yours. Err, I met someone, Esvele, in Barovia village. Feels like a lifetime ago. She was.. gloomy and hard headed, though wandering these lands for a while, can't fault her as much for the first part anymore. Last I saw her she was doing fine and considering that was shortly after Strahd had thrown a cupboard at us, thats propably a good sign." The pirate shared, then shrugged. "Oh you wouldn't believe half the things I've been involved in.. less than a week wandering this place.." Rovana chuckled. "Though to be fair, I always liked to live dangerously." Discarding the days spent sailing with little happening, Rovana never had to complain about boredom.

Rovana nodded. "Its fair enough I do something for you, tell me more. Though to be clear right ahead, I don't share your faith... and, yes, his mind, though.. not only his. I've met a man far more broken than him, you propably heard of him, the Wizard that challenged Strahd. He survived, but payed a high price.. which he now seeks to put on my head. Problem is he holds something of great value hostage. Heh, well, you can put one and one together with my earlier question. I've found the remains of Leo Dilisnya, but the mage wont give them out, until I either find his book and staff, and I have only one small hope to find them.." Which was Ludmilla gossiping, and considering she hadn't volunteered any knowledge about the Mages gear, Rovana figured she could only guess herself.. plus, retrieving the items might bring her dangerously close to the castle once more, if he simply dropped them during his fall. Then again, the mage had traveled far. Rovana shrugged out of her thought.

"Or find another way to lift his madness. So yes, I want my shadow and my friends mind recovered, but if you knew of something even someone without.. your faith could use.." she tried, crossing her arms thoughtfully.

"More than a hundred years. I want to know more about the fate of the Dilisnya bloodline.. and the Vilisevic bloodline."
She hesitated, then, carefully hidden in her poket(also, because she already wore one necklace), pulled forth the Ruby-necklace Ludmilla had given to her. It made for a less.. brutal heirloom than 'the blood spear'

"I don't expect you to be an expert in jewelry, but I've seen little gemstones in this place, even the nobles of Vallaki rarely dressed up in anything all too impressive, so its my hope this is something that could be traced back to.. my ancestor." The first time she hadn't been quite honest, if the abbot had a keen enough attention. By now, going what Molly and Ludmilla had said, she wanted to know more about the original owner of the necklace... for entirely egoistical reasons. And not even the common definition of egoistical.

The Pirate-captain hesitated, then expanded, deciding, more enthusiastical in trusting the abbot as her belly filled: "I want- need to know more about who originally owned this necklace. I suspect she was a Dilisnyan, likely appearing not too different from me.." perhaps -me- Rovana explained, before focusing on eating and letting the Abbot respond, wondering her own thoughts. Why am I even asking these things? What does it matter, what happened? It happened, its in the past now. Do I expect to walk up to the ruins of a random Dilisnya house, touch a few rocks, get vivid flashbacks of a better youth? .. Or perhaps worse youth, heh.

But I want to know who I am.. who I was. I need to know who I was to Ludmillla and what happened with Molly, not like Dagon will have a chat about what really happened. Who was I? Who AM I? A noble heroine that fights the wicked Strahd proudly, or a sly opportunist that made a vile pact to save my own skin from this, admitttedly kinda glum place, first chance I had? I'd rather be first, but I could definitly see myself doing the latter.. but I wouldn't just have abandoned Ludmilla, would I? What happened.. I can't ask her, but even if it was a painful spot in Krezk history, even if all she left was a hole, I should be able to figure out some of what happened by looking at the holes shape..
Rovana thought to herself, letting the priest respond.

OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

The Abbot
Krezk - Smoldering Ember Inn

The young man closed his beautiful eyes and nodded with the hint of a knowing smile.

"The Dilisnyas did as many in this valley do - burying their dead on consecrated ground. If the rites are properly observed by one of true faith, then there are methods to prevent the corpse from rising to do the work of evil. I surmise that is your reason for asking? Burning corpses has become a habit of the desperate or those devoid of faith, but again, unless the proper rites are observe, this is not a method of laying the soul to a proper rest. Only that which is anathema to the unholy soil of this land can protect the dead from its grasp."

The abbot paused to let them eat their food. He did not eat any himself, and merely made mention that he had already partaken of his nourishment from the abbey's larder and was not currently hungry, but pleased that he could offer the four travelers the chance of a much-needed meal. And much needed it was, for Rovana and the others were famished, and fatigue had unknowingly begun to set in. What was set before them was humble, but hearty, and as good as one might hope for in the troubled lands of Barovia.

"Yes, Saint Markovia. A woman of faith and determination. Tales of her bravery and devotion were what brought me to the faith in the first place. I wished to honor her memory by putting the long abandoned abbey back to proper use. Unfortunately, by the time I had arrived here, the priesthood had gone mad and destroyed itself. Putting things back to order has been an arduous task, but a worthy one. The woman, Esvele, has helped me with this task, as part of trying to put a troubled past behind her. I am pleased to have her help, for I greatly believe in the power of redemption. It is what shall save this land."

He tilted his head at her saying there were things he wouldn't believe, and he smiled and remained silent on that matter, listening to Rovana being plain with her intentions and needs. The Abbot nodded, and closed his eyes, then put a hand upon Jowai's wrist. The half orc was caught off guard and instinctively tried to pull his hand away - but the abbot's grip didn't budge, even with Jowai being very forceful.

The abbot's hand glowed brightly, with a radiant light that reminded Rovana of the tiefling's own radiant fire. Almost immediately, Jowai's pupils dilated and he seemed to relax immediately. He plunked back down in his chair and sighed, massaging his green head.

The Abbot reopened his eyes.

"The recipient does not need to have faith. Only the healer. Your friend here is cured of his malady - which was a madness of demonic origin, I might add, and something that concerns me greatly. I can cure you, and the Mad Mage if you can bring him here, but in return for that, I would ask for something of value that can be found relatively close by."

He peered over at Rovana, and then took an interest in her admission that she was a Dilisnya and had an heirloom. His slender, extremely clean hands touched the ruby necklace.

"I do not know what became of the Dilisnya line exactly, only that old records suggested that they used to live here well over a century ago. The Vilisevic line is a noble family here in Krezk, though they have little more than their name and a small shrine to the north of town that they maintain. They are a pious family, though they do not associate with my abbey. Maybe one in their family would be more familiar with appraisal of old jewelry and its former owner. However, speaking of jewelry..."

He smiled and spread his hands, palms upward.

"There is a tower beside the Lake Baratok, just east of the town on the other side of this mountain. In this tower, among other treasure I would imagine, is a pair of diamond earrings of immense beauty and exquisite design. I require these for a project of mine. I understand you are in a hurry, but considering the difficulty you would have otherwise, I see no reason why we could not help one another. If you bring the earrings to me, I will sanctify you and the mage... ending your curses in exchange."

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Captain Lady Rovana Dilisnya?
Krezk, The Smolderin ember

"Ugh, I thought I had escaped a burial... several after all.. I'm not much for sermons.. So what exactly is anathema to the unholy soil.. I'll be frank, I've not seen many holy things about. Last time I was in a church I got chased by a ghost. Granted, that was in the castles chapel." Rovana mused, half to herself. A burial at sea was out of the question as well, considering this Dagon-creature there...
She crossed her arms, thoughtfully, listening on.

"Redemption eh?" She remarked towards the comment about Esvele. "I knew she was a bit too good with a knife." She peeked over to Jowai, though subtly noted the abbots strength. This one was clearly not all human, she decided, without wanting to pry further without reason.

"It wont be easy to motivate the mage for travels.. but good to know I have that option, sooo whats it?" She listened on. "Go to the tower, grab the earrings, sounds easy enough, but the way you say it, the rest of the treasure troubles you not.. I figure you need the diamonds to revive the newly deceased." It may have sounded sharp and well read, truly, Rovana was speaking out of recent personal experience.

"I know this town needs you, but that can't be all. Theres troubles along the way beyond what a guard or simple errand boy could handle, if the tower is easy enough to find, aye? Do tell so we are prepared." She quickly surmised. "Well then, if this be all, I'd like to leave my companions in your capable hands, I'm sure they got quite the stories to tell too.. most just require a little rest.. Jowai, I take it you were left out of the action last time, to make up for it, how about you accompany me to the north of the city this time?" She bagged the necklace again. "I'd like to visit the Vilisevic shrine first.. then.. a little rest, that tower sounds like something we'd want to tackle in the morning.. oh.." She only briefly hesitated. ...Thinking about it, wouldn't the shrine of her family be painful for Ludmilla? Her beauty aside, she is an abomination removed from the natural order of things. -A sexy abomination- If that shrine purposefully erased her name I'ma edge it in with my spear. She determined, before she turned to the Abbot, half standing up before asking "Can you either tell the guards or give us a sign we be on a task for you? It'd save me ten minutes of discussion at the gates I bet." She hesitated then added: "You are right, I reckon. The curse was fiendish aye. Prepare yourself to break something more powerful than that, the mage got slammed around by Strahd I heard.. either way, Jowais curse comes because we had a short brush with Dagon though we got off easy, better than having your crew drowned and your soul being suckled on." She said, casually, half to gauge the priests reaction, curiously, tough there was a certain wearyness in her eyes for those that could read such expressions sharp enough.

Then, after listening and if not interrupted on her way she'd get up and make her way out, with necklace and spear, curious to take at least a closer look at the Dilisnya family, 200 years later, before she went to rest. She'd make her way to find the shrine of Ludmillas descendants. Or ancestors. Who knows. It wasn't that she truly doubted the vampires feelings for her.. but.. she doubted a lot of things, right now. Did Ludmilla feel for her, like Strahd felt for this Tatyana? Did the vampiress even feel for her, or for a lie, for a lost soul, coincidentially, what happened to the real Rovana? Well, inncoent, if foolish girl, drowned.. propably went to the next life. And more than anything, did it matter in the end? She knew what the felt like, what she wanted, right now with Mollys revelations more so than before, to fall into those strong, dark arms and let them hold her, guide her, help her be heroic and pretty and all these things..

Thinking about it, just how would she start if she met any Dilisnyans': 'Oh hey there cutie, so your daughter has the hots for me, can I get your blessings? aaaand by daugther I mean great-great-great. how long do you life around here? lets add another great just to be sure aunt. Trust me she looks -fine- for her age. Oh by the way I think my soul is actually that of a century old Dilisnyan noble and any happen to know if there was some other noble gal, a third one, with them? were's the playground were we met? Are there any swings I can swing on and suddenly remember images of the past? NO? thought so. She sighed inwardly. Perhaps better to go over her more important plans again:
"So, check out the Dilisnya family, perhaps from afar, just out of curiosity, rest.. perhaps. somehow find my identity, either here.. or with her and then go to the tower, grab the rings, get my shadow restored, deliver the axe and find the mage to get him fixed up... should be doable in a day or two. leaving me one final day before things get dicey.. that I can spent to look for skull and more information about Dagon, then we set sail, ideally a bit early, this is one appointment I don't want to end up being late for.."

Last edited:
OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Abbot
Krezk

"A place dedicated to the gods and powers of good can infuse its surrounding land with traces of positive energy. This is the importance of the rites that priests perform at places of worship, such as churches or say, an abbey." The Abbot gestured to the mountainside's fortified abbey that he claimed to preside over.

"If you bury a faithful person on consecrated ground, then dark magics cannot raise the body and the soul is safe to pass on. So you see, Rovana Dilisnya, having a little faith can have its practical rewards, if you care at all for what happens to your soul or that of those you love once you pass on from the mortal coil."

The pirate's guess as to what the Abbot wanted the diamonds for was met with a thin smile and a slight spread of his palms.

"Powerful magic requires rare components. And in a place like Krezk, there is always need for powerful magic. In any case, if we have a deal, then you can bring the earrings to me, and have the mage meet me at my Abbey. There I can perform the restoration rites to restore his mind and your shadow. The tower in question is likely to be warded against intrusion, so be prepared. It's not so much that the guards here couldn't find it, but simply that they won't go out of the town. There's barely enough to man the walls, and in these troubled times, the folk look to protect themselves first and foremost. You are a seasoned wanderer, and more suited to this task."

The Abbot nodded and seemed satisfied that Rovana would go to the shrine and be taking the newly recovered Jowai with her. Her mention of Dagon did get a dark reaction out of the young man with the golden locks and piercing blue eyes.

"Dagon... a blasphemous name. An eldritch being of the putrid, dark oceans of the Abyss. That its touch is here, is most troubling indeed. All the more reason that something must be done to bring the leadership of this land to its senses. Perhaps... perhaps this is the test that shall lead to redemption."

He raised his hand. "Do not worry about the guards. The fact that they have seen you with me has no doubt reached Baron Krezkov's ears. He will fear to approach you aggressively so long as I am around."

Jowai picked up his gear and accompanied Rovana as they moved towards the north side of the terraced mountain town. Halfway there, the half-orc shared his thoughts.

"Whatever that bloke did... my head's feeling better. I swear, captain, it was as if I couldn't stand the thought of going back to sea. Every thought of the ocean just made me break down inside... I was seeing the face of this horrible monster in my mind. If that's what this Dagon is, I hope never to meet him."

Ahead of the pair, was a old, half-falling apart house, besides which was a shimmering pool of clear, pure water, beside which was an old, flimsy gazebo that covered a statue of a bare-chested man raising his hand towards the east. Sitting on the porch, rocking back and forth in a rickety rocking chair, was an old, dark-skinned, white-bearded man with a balding head, puffing away at a large, ornately-carved pipe. He was tall, and looked like he still had some muscle despite being of advanced age. He silently watched Rovana approach.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Krezk, The Smolderin Ember-> Vilisevic house

"So basically the opposite of what the chapel of Ravenloft and Yesterhill are, I reckon... and the opposite of where I will have to fight, soon enough." Rovana mused about sacred ground, then however, she looked at the priest. "I fear there ain't such rest or peace for me, no grave can hold me but the sea." Not even to mention Ludmilla. "I recognize the value of such rest for others, and will try to bring it to those deserving, but thats all I can do."

She nodded then. "Ah, the tower is protected, but not murderously so, because simply said, theres few mad enough to go treasure hunting these lands. It's agreed, I shall find your jewelry by the morrow then." She nodded at the priest..

"Bringing the leadership to its senses? Frankly, setting the average among the nobility I met here, your baron sounds the most reasonable so far. That said, if you have any idea for something that would disrupt a ritual to reach out for Dagon, and be it however brief, I know I ask enough for two diamonds with me shadow and the mages mind, but if perchance something comes to mind later.. it would do no harm to have such with me." She suggested, and ment it, without having met baron Krezkov, having a fortified city and not letting anyone in? Rovana could see that as response at least. The other nobles she had met were dead, undead, crazy for festivals and crazy for devils. Frankly, the best of the lot was Ludmilla, who still, technically, had killed her. Perhaps she should avoid baron Krekov, her track record with noble encounters in these lands wasn't the best.
She still doubted those walls could stop Strahd for long if he wanted to get in, but the abbey looked as if it could busy him for a few years. "I noted that you seem to intimidate people around, but.. then again, I'm older than I look myself. I wonder how people would look at me if they knew all there was to know. Let's not dwell on it. I can help you, you can help me, little more matters to me." She shrugged, and after concluding her chat, unless the abbot had anything to add, collected her own things.. she wasn't one to wander an unknown town without a weapon.

~On the way with Jowai~

"Everything looks less intimidating once you put a few sharp things into it." She patted Jowais back, which ment she had to reach up a little. "Wicked trickery me hearty. T'was the second evil of such kind I saw, so perhaps I held my own better for that. Neku has seen things himself, and Damia is used to the darkness of these lands, there be no shame in succumbing this time, just be stronger next time, aye? The first I saw such a thing.. he looked like a man, but ye know how even with the most wicked man, you look at them and see hatred, anger, greed? There was nothing, but a void. The most capable pirate captains can instill fear with but a gaze, you see what they've been through and you feel like messing with 'em is sure death, well.. with the Count of these lands it ain't so, it felt like .. like shaking your hand or tearing out your heart would cause him the same amount of trouble, for as fancy a dress he wore and as well mannered he spoke. It took little to make me run away and all I had to keep on talking for a while and I am a good talker, I daresay." Rovana knew that, by pirate rules, there was nothing dishonorable about running to live and fight another day. But she knew that, even without admitting it, being the only one messed up such by this would wound the half-orc survivors pride if she said nothing.. which was why she took him along.

"By what I gander we wont face the thing itself.. I doubt we could win that, even with me ship.. maybe later. For now, its about preventing its awakening and sealing it off again proper. I don't quite know how to do this, but we'll find out.. if in doubt, cut down everything trying to summon him, that should work for a while, aye? Well.. this wont help you much, but as long as I'm still about its not free. Needs to consume my soul to break free and my soul belongs to the sea, with perhaps a fair share of .. well.. I'd tell you I'm in love with an undying monstrosity, but this time I mean it more literal than with most women, savy?" She looked ahead to the Vilisevic grounds, letting her last sentence hang in the air, because she herself wasn't quite certain anymore she was rather certain of her love. She yearned for Ludmillas guidance with her not knowing even who she was or were to go, but.. where did this yearning come from, and did the source of it matter by the end of the day?

~At the Vilisevic 'estate'~

"Good evening." She greeted the sitting man, figuring it was near enough to evening by now. In greeting, she put one hand behind her back, extending the other half over her chest, in a relaxed, but somewhat respectful bow, recalling what Ludmilla had said about her noble lineage. "I'd like to know who that statue is of, and where it points to. I have a story to tell in exchange if you wish.. oh, and first, if you'd allow me, use some of your water." If the old man made no move of disagreement she'd calmly step towards the pool of water, pulling forth the -even if untouched by the passage of time- indubitably still covered in muck and grime spear.
She hadn't minded it while ascending the mountain, as glittering metal was a recipe for a backstabbing on any stealthy approach, but right now.. it felt right. She'd dip a piece of cloth from her outfit(figuring Ludmilla wouldn't mind the tiny hint of blood and sweat left on it if any rubbed off on the spear), watering it, before beginning to slowly scrub and polish clean the spear, humming to herself.:

"Oh we'd be all right, if the wind was in our sails, we'd be all right, if the wind was in our sails, oh we'd be all right, if the wind was in our sails... and we'll all hang on behind. and we'll row the old chariot along, we'll row the old chariot along, we'll row the old chariot along, and we'll all hang on behind.." She took extra care cleaning the tip.. even if the spears magic was dormant, she didn't want to tempt it by pricking it. Actually. Rovana chuckled, twirling the staff lower, running her finger through her dried up cut on her leg, drawing it along the spears tip. "Fishface ain't the only one that's expected to wake up soon, and your clock a ticking earlier." She mused to the spear, sheathing it and returning to the old man. Admittedly, not without filling her waterskin as the water seemed clean enough. She was still a practical person.

"Excuse me for that, ever felt like you had to do a thing? I still got a half dozen of those ahead, but one less once I give this spear to the one it belongs to. My name be Rovana Dilisyna, this is Jowai, of me crew, if you are kind, you could help me answer a few riddles of the past that I have not the wisdom to deal with myself." She found herself not quite pleading, but making a hopeful sounding request. Again, was that how nobles did it? Her piratey self would have acted overly subservient, but less.. honest.

Last edited:
OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Krezk, Northside

"I wouldn't be so certain. There are prisons even the gods themselves cannot escape, Miss Dilisnya," the Abbot intoned with his solemn gracefulness. "But if it is the sea to which you are beholden, then to it you must sail. Though there be many seas, with waters of many types and hidden depths. I shall pray for your safe passage there, and ask for the guidance of the higher powers about this Dagon threat. I have every confidence that you will be more than a match for the tower, and that soon we shall both profit from one another's acquaintance. Find me at the Abbey, one you return, and we shall discuss the matter more."

The youthful clergyman nodded respectfully as Rovana and Jowai left their table and finished meals behind them, turning to speak softly to Damia and Neku ask the blonde captain made her way out of the Smoldering Ember Inn.

~~~

Jowai the half-orc shook his head doubtfully and cracked his neck joints, while loosening his shoulders in a bid to get his body active and dispel the urge to shudder.

"I'd just as soon be setting sail back to Cerilia and be done with this whole lot. Been like I've drifted off into a nightmare this place is, and now I can't get out of it. A man like meself, I was made for striking down warm blooded foes in a fair fight... or for killing tricky buggers wot were gonna try to start a fair fight. Or murdering a man if the pay is right... but most certainly not to trudge and cross blades with the dead, not of sea or land, and not in this sunless mist neither. We got to get outta this wet dung heap, crap sack of a valley. Pardon me language, yer captain ladyship."

The half-orc didn't seem to quite cotton on to everything Rovana was saying, but he drew enough dots together to get the idea that the blonde corsair had the hots for someone or something that was less than warm blooded. If this made him more uncomfortable he didn't say anything, but perhaps his lack of words and the returning to a simple grunt of acknowledgement said more about his feelings on that subject than words did. Nevertheless, he followed along as the two approached the Vilisevic estate.

~~~

The man puffed a bit on his pipe, letting his face be obscured by wafts of smoke. A whiff of good tobacco leaf lingered in the air, reminding Rovana of times at sea, and in the ports of her homeland, with jauntier, free souls for comaraderie.

"Evening to you, young lady. You've the air of an outsider - pardon me, a visitor. Didn't think to see much like you these days, not with the way this town has been going."

He craned his head over to the gazebo and the statue inside of it, displaying the strong, barechested man.

"That? Tis the Shrine of the White Sun, and the 'man' shown there is the Morninglord, his hand stretching to the East, where comes the promise of the dawn. The ancestors of this village - my ancestors - converted to the worship of the Lord of the Morning, from the pagan gods of the Terg, when we settled and abandoned our heathen past. Long ago, as my father and grandfather used to tell me, this valley was a battleground between the faithful and the heathen savage, but the Morninglord's faithful conquered Krezk from the savages, and showed them not death but mercy. Those whose hearts were not blind with hate, turned from their dark path and mingled with the Krezk settlers. Hearty, primal warriors mingling with noble bloodlines. We may be few these days, but Krezk has produced the finest warriors of the faith in these lands for quite some time, and that shrine, next to my family's land, is sanctified proof of the good that remains in this world. The waters of that pool are restorative. It is said they once had the power to heal all malady, but these are dark times, and the faith is not as strong as it once was. The Devil Strahd has seen to that. Go, cleanse yourself from the pool. I do not begrudge anyone that. Once there were many pilgrims, it is said, who came from far and wide to this place, to drink from these waters."

The old man coughed and proceeded to puff on his pipe as Rovana knelt down and began to cleanse and polish the spear. The sparking water seemed brighter than anything else in the landscape, more full, more real somehow. When the water was used to cleanse the bloody spear, the grime fell away from it in one wipe, and the steel gleamed brightly in the remaining light of day.

"That spear. 'Tis a nice one. Where'd you come across it?" The old man asked once Rovana was before him again.

"Dilisnya huh? Read about some Dilisnya's before. In a book that my family has kept. Yes, that's right, I read. Not many can in this town, save for Baron Krezkov's family, the folk at the Red Traders, and mayhaps a few merchants. But the Vilisevic family is noble too, and we've taught our own through the years... hnh... not that such a tradition will continue. I'm the last of the line you see... our branches have withered you might say, hmph... ah but how I ramble. You wanted some help with riddles, eh? Well there's no harm in that, as an old man I have to do something to keep my mind sharp, as age slowly robs me of my strength. What can I do you for then, good lady?

Last edited:

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Krezk, streets-> Vilisevic house

Rovana had shrugged at the abbot. She wasn't quite used to niceties coming from the clergy.. certainly not in her pirating days, nor in these lands. It certainly didn't help with her uncertainty of who she was, or, more importantly, who she was going to be, so she decided to leave the abbots blessings unanswered, where, normally, she'd propably have thought up an at least subtly sarcastic remark about how he'd have to do a lot of blessing to even out what she had gotten herself into.

"Theres an issue or two I have to figure out before we can set sails, the least of which is the fact that we have no gold to stock up on supplies for the sailing, so unless you want us all to travel as undead, which is not an impossibility as things stand on these shores, we be stranded for now, even ignoring the greater.. hinderances, much as I agree with yer notion. As for crossing blades with the dead, think about it this way, they nay been good enough to stay alive, what challenge can they be?" Rovana tried to cheer more than actually argue. She'd rather not repeat that line of reasoning before Strahd, Ludmilla, or even any of the vampires. Briefly she wondered if she could handle one of the lesser vampires if Strahd decided to be annoyed enough at her to send just one out and keep Ludmilla locked up, but she quickly decided against thinking about this further and work on empowering her blade before it got to that. Worst came to worst, tonight she'd be resting at an inn and didn't plan to invite any undead that weren't black, beautiful and had those eyes that made a suprisingly soft and feminine side of the captain tingle with eager uncertainty. Tomorrow.. was another day to take by itself.

~~~

Rovana had a slightly tired smile at the reminiscent scent of stronger tobacco. "I asked nicely to get in.. Well, nice, with a hint of manipulation." Rovana didn't feel like clouding any truths today.

"I see. I've seen no proper dawn here, but it's at least prettier than the last statue I saw. Thanks for telling me, I have been wondering.. Let's say I fought a less than hospitable man that yet shared your skin color, I guess some never chose the path of civilization. If Krezk has such warriors, how come you are not out there, driving back the creatures prowling the wildernis, certainly, something happened?" About 200 years ago, but I'm uncertain if I should ask directly, that said, considering his age, his Grandfather might have been a young boy, if I'm quite lucky..

At the mans encouragement she took a bit of a sip from the pond as well, shrugging slightly. "Some maladies can't be cured so easily, but I had a chat with the abbot earlier, I'll be alright." She sheated the spear again, looking at the man. "The spear is your families by right, but.. eh, to Davy Johnes with it, what do I have to lose." She shrugged, stepping over to the man, pulling the weapon, presenting it. "I keep a hold of it, to give it to one thats more youthful, yet older than you. If you wish to know what it is, take a hold of it. If it called out to me, it can whisper to you and explain these things better than I could." Certain things should be experienced, not explained.

"Well, in a way then, we are both the last living branches on a withered tree.." She saved herself a comment about being a bit less withered, herself. "Or perhaps we are not. Allow me." She took place, exhaling, pondering, then pulling out the ruby necklace, while at it, unsheathing and sticking her sword into the ground, after a moment, casually hanging the necklace over the blade, as if presenting it, as she took place, kicking her legs back, more pirate and less noblelike. "Recognize any of these? I suspect that this blade, my cloak, and this necklace once belonged to the same person." She hesitated, looking at her sword.

"It may have looked different. This sword is incomplete. I can't explain it better than to ask you to think of it as broken, even though the blade might seem fine. It can.. oh let me show, so my story seems not completely unbelievable." She touched the heft of the blade, then extended her other hand towards the pond of pure water, just generally reaching out for the water. "They are my posessions.. yet they are not. I introduced myself as Rovana Dilisnya, but, truth be told, my name..
the name I remember.."
She rubbed her forehead. "I .. think I was born as someone else, before I called myself the Reaver. Ugh, well, I promised yourself a riddle.

If you read of the Dilisnya family, you propably read that they disappeared, about.. 200 years ago, a bit less perhaps, I would guess? Well, whatever happened back then, got me in quite the mess."
Rovana figured Ludmilla, in her undead life, might have missed a year or two.

"There is someone that was around at the time I could ask, but.. for now, I don't know.. I mean, I want to trust her. I mean, I am certain I do, but I'm not sure who I am." She raised a hand. "I remember quite certain who I was. But I feel different. I guess I promised you riddles: Who are you; Your past, or your present, or your future? Let us say I could take your spirit and mind out of this body of an aged warrior, and put you into a barmaids body, would you still be a warrior? What if you woke up remembering being a barmaid on top of it. Moreso, let us say you have committed sins in your past life you don't remember, is it still your duty to pay for them? And, furthermore, should you now live the life of a barmaid, the life of a warrior, or a life that suits you?" Rovana looked at one of her hands, as if expecting something she hadn't seen every day.

"I've lived my life by a certain code and for a while, I was happy. Yet always, I was driven onwards. I doubt this will ever stop, but I found something that can.. calm this hunt and yearning, someone, the one this spear is ment for, someone I yearn for, someone I want to help me find and guide on my way.. yet, .. as much as I want to trust her, DO trust her, I cannot trust my own trust." Rovana shook her head at what she was saying, exhaling. "I guess what I'm trying to find out is which path I used to tread, to know which path I should follow, which path I should help others follow.." Because, considering Dagon, not all in the past had worked out. Ludmillas lover had died once before, and she needed to know how. "..Sorry if I make no sense to you." She didn't want to flat out admit the truth, less so with Jowai close, she didn't want to say that, while she loved being the noble, the captain, the leader, deep down she was scared of the responsibility as well. She wanted to give some of that up, give in.. let Ludmilla take charge, not just a little, but a lot, as odd as it was for the freedom-loving pirate captain, she wanted to be bound to the vampiress, made to obey, like Lady Wachter had made her, if with a more benevolent hand, guided, trained, to be someone truly desireable to her beloved.. but what was that? Pirate and scoundrel, noble and hero? Perhaps a mixture? For that matter, who was Ludmilla, the vampiric monster, or the primal, proud noble? Rovana knew that her body yearned to feel another dark kiss, her heart yearned for guidance and her mind fantasized about being bound, disciplined, trained.. as dangerous blood doll? As pretty, but bound noble? As beloved doll-slave? She felt like the spear gave her the tool to help Ludmilla slowly break free of the vampires influence, but Rovana feared that in part that might also unleash the vampiress darker urges, as well as it could free her noble spirit.. but, thinking back to her dream from long ago, which did she actually want? What had.. Ludmillas first lover wanted, why had she failed? Her eyes wandered over Ludmillas spear, lost in thought.. as well as certain erotic fantasies, still remembering how last time they had met, Ludmillas eyes had dranken up her every curve, as she imagined having Ludmilla claim her, ebon hands upon pale skin as she'd dress her pretty blooddoll, gently but firmly putting a nice buttplug and perfectly form fitting dress onto and into her before playing with her, making her helpless and malleable to the vampiress whims make her pretty, yet at the same time inescapably owned. Butfor Ludmillas whims, not Strahds darkness, or another spirits designs. Nor, ruled by her dark hunger, but owning it, like she'd own Rovana. "...Heh, who'd have thought, me taking caution not to repeat the errors of the past, I must be getting old."

Last edited: