What's new

Avarice (NorthernCross) GMed by Takimaru

Takimaru

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Avarice (NorthernCross) GMed by Takimaru

Robin Neudaiz: HP = 82, PP = 41, EP = 39, Status = Fine

Even for the brief period of contact that their lips met, Robin could feel the maid's initial surprise at her touch, a feeling that quickly turned to one of surrender, with the girl's shoulders slumping and her body language revealing itself to be quite receptive to the momentary display of affection. Leala flashed her a vulnerable look, her breath simply taken away by the simple gesture, and seemed to be dazed for a moment, having nothing to say until Robin made her own farewell and headed for the exit. Hurriedly, the redhead rushed over and opened the door for the departing noble, bowing politely. "P... Please do," was all that she said as the disguised woman took her leave.

Once downstairs, Robin would find Lord Hodrim having just exited from one of the rooms, wearing a crimson velvet robe, matching scarf, and holding a pipe in his left hand. His hair and moustache were well-groomed, as always, in spite of their inherent bushiness, and he greeted the adventurer with a nod and a grin. "I trust you slept well? Hopefully Leala didn't give you too much trouble, ho ho..." He chuckled at his own comment before making a small gesture with his hand for her to follow. "Come now, I'll have a guard show him to you, yes? Best get a good look at him. He's been in a mood most foul as of late, as you might imagine, but luckily for us the full moon is still a few days away. Considerably easier to restrain in his usual state, at least," said the man as he guided Robin to the front doors, which were opened for the pair by one of the maids standing by. A guard clad in lamellar armor waited outside, dutifully waiting until the lord addressed him directly.

"This is Sir Robin Neudaiz, and he will be looking to resolve my most recent of troubles. Take him to the old mansion to see Colten, will you?"

"Yes, my lord," replied the sentry, bowing his head in turn.
The moustachioed aristocrat then turned back to the duelist and gave his parting offer for now. "Well, best of luck now. I certainly appreciate your help with this... dilemma, but should you succeed, believe me, I'll make it worth your while! Now, just a small bit of change for your traveling expenses, and just a bit of... relevant information, that you ought to know." Reaching into his robe, he produced an envelope with an ornate, red wax seal, as well as a pouch of coins and dropped them both into Robin's hands. "The sooner, the better, yes? Afterwards, we can all have a nice drink by the fire and laugh about this later. Take care now, my good man." Placing his pipe back into his mouth, he slowly turned back into the comfort of his manor, his pace slow and deliberate.

The solemn-looking soldier made brief eye contact with Robin, giving a nod and motioning for her to follow. Remaining tight-lipped all throughout the walk, he was clearly possessed of good discipline, which was no doubt a valuable asset especially when it came to dealing with issues like these. The two made their way down the hill, through extremely well-kept gardens and the like, until they reached the property of the older mansion to the south. They may as well have entered through some kind of portal with the dramatic change in scenery, as it went from blooming shrubs and perfectly cornered hedges to twisted, gnarled bushes, all manner of vines and creepers running rampant throughout the stone structures--the ones that could still be recognized--and numerous cracks in the stone walkway they treaded upon.

When they reached the ominous-looking entrance, the stern-faced guard opened the large double doors, which creaked loudly as they slowly swung to the side. This mansion was eerily similar to the one Robin had just departed from, almost a mirror image of it in its own right, like something from a parallel universe in which the Hodrim estate was overtaken and left to rot, abandoned save for the ghosts of its past.

The interior wasn't much different, and signs of a struggle could be seen along the floor, the walls... just about everywhere. Hodrim's nephew seems to have done quite a number on the property last time he broke free, from the looks of it. Once the man led Robin to the basement, which luckily was a fairly straight shot behind the main stairs, he stopped in front of another set of doors--made from steel, and looking as though they had been freshly installed, from the condition that the metal was in. Another guard was waiting here, dressed and armed similarly, except he had a very nervous disposition about him, a slight facial tic causing his features to scrunch ever so slightly should she look carefully.

"W-W-Who's that?" questioned the sheepish one, giving Robin a somewhat suspicious, yet frightened look.

"He's employed by the lord, and on his orders is to see the one inside," was all his cohort said in response.

With that, the skittish man nodded and pushed aside the primary bolt, as well as unlocking several locks on the steel door, then yanked it open, which caused a very defined clang to echo throughout the entire house. He poked his head inside and stuttered, "C-C-C-Colten... y-y-you've got a visitor," before jerking backwards as if to avoid an impending attack, then looking to Robin fearfully and motioning for her to enter.

Inside, the basement was, as expected, in complete disarray. Splintered pieces of wood lay strewn about the room, as well as the clean bones of a sheep or two--it was difficult to tell, as the remains were hardly in one piece. Various sorts of rubbish were littered everywhere as well, and a man, dressed in rags, or dirty remainders of what might have been rich clothing at one point, sat in the corner, his head bowed, an elbow propped up on one knee. Slowly lifting his eyes to meet those of the newcomer, his dirty face took on a sour look. "Heh... it figures my uncle would send someone like you to come figure me out. Or are you here to finally take care of his dirty business and end it all? Just tell me what you want, already."

Robin acquired:
Envelope from Lord Hodrim
50 Denarii

Last edited:

NorthernCross

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

“Oh, I slept very well.” Robin met Lord Hodrim with a smile before continuing. “But I suspect that the time for business is upon us now, though.”

Robin followed Lord Hodrim to the front doors, listening carefully to anything he had to say on the way. As they parted, Robin bowed to him as he accepted the envelope and the pouch of gold. “I look forward to the day we can, m'lord.”

Robin followed the guard to the old mansion with very few words between them. They both likely knew what was actually going on, but it was likely that the guard was just as bound by silence as she was. A voice at the back of her mind reminded her that she wasn't the first to be lead down this path. The mansion looked as decrepit as the outside suggested and she found herself wondering if this place would be restored once Lord Hodrim's nephew was cured.

After watching the exchange between the two guards, she entered into the newly installed doors to meet with Colten and as she expected he wasn't all that pleased to have visitors. Ignoring the remains of Colten's last meal, she looked at him and allowed him to finish speaking.

“I'm here because your uncle hasn't given up on you. My name is Robin Neudaiz and I'd like to help you.” Robin gave a bow to Colten before continuing. “But I need to know more about what happened to you before I can do that.”

Takimaru

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

The sullen young man scoffed at her response. Though he was handsome in terms of facial structure, he had messy raven hair obscuring most of his forehead, stubble about his chin, and looked generally unkempt for the most part, as anyone would expect from being secured in such a room. "Hah... you've a sense of humor. I find it hard to believe that anyone who's visited the old man can truly believe that he hasn't just given up on me. While I stay cooped up in this hole of a place, he enjoys a life of luxury surrounded by those scantily-clad maids of his. Surely, it is a joke, but on me," he growled.

A rather uncomfortable stretch of silence passed between them as he lifted his head to better look Robin over. Finally, he sighed and shook his head. "All I know is that I was cursed by this foul hag of a woman, one who had no idea of my noble stature when she slighted me with her shameless begging. Regardless, the hex she placed upon me, or whatever it is, is far worse than I deserved for the offense she perceived me to have committed against her. Even now, I can feel the ravenous presence within me, challenging me over the very domain of my own body!" His words seemed to carry a heavy truth to them; if Robin were to look closely, she would find that he was trembling faintly, his fingers gripping at his knees rhythmically, exhibiting but a trace of the internal struggles carried out within.

"As if that wasn't enough, it appears that... every full moon, or around then, I feel as if the entity I struggle against daily grows unbearably powerful, and I've no choice but to succumb, only managing to best it after it has caused more than enough damage to the surrounding area and people. And mind you, I'd have given up by now, but my pride as a Hodrim keeps me here, no matter how wretched I must look. The last words that old woman said to me were something about... me finding penance for my actions. I don't remember much until after it happened. But believe me, in my mind and in my heart, I have been there to the heart of repent and back, and now, all I am left with is anger. Anger over... everything, including my uncle's failure to find anyone competent enough to solve what one would think to be a simple problem for someone of my heritage."

He took a deep breath. "...I apologize. I don't get much contact besides the two idiots outside, and perhaps it is too much information than you cared to hear about. But I will get to the point. I encountered her just outside Ingmoor, in Western Crolia... That is all I know."
With a defeated look, he turned his head down and to the side, returning to his sulking unless the duelist had anything more to ask.

NorthernCross

Reputation score

“So, she begged you for a hand out and when you refused she cursed you with a wildly disproportionate punishment.“ Robin nodded, pretty sure she wasn't getting the whole story but knowing this would be the most she would get out of him without any proof contrary to his story. “Do you remember what she looked like or anything that made her visibly unique? Or how she placed this curse upon you?”

The fact that he considered his blood and title placed him above other people even after his 'repentance' was duly noted. “And it was outside Ingmoor... did the residents know this witch?”

Takimaru

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

"Yes. Had I known the extent of her powers, then obviously I would have given her the benefit of the doubt, or even to spare her the alms she requested, but her appearance was admittedly rather startling to me. She wore a tattered brown cloak and was possessed of sunken grey eyes, withered skin, and poor hygiene... heh... not that I've the right to be saying the latter, as I am now. But, now that you mention it..." He paused and furrowed his brow. "Yes, the villagers of Ingmoor did mention a 'Crimson Maiden' of sorts haunting the nearby woods not far from where I found her. I never once connected the word with that old hag, though, considering that it conjures a different mental image," added the brooding man. "Not that I can see very well in the light anymore, at this point."

"If only they'd let me out between moons, perhaps it would be easier for me, but my uncle has been rather paranoid since my, err... other form killed his butler and violated two of his maids. Or so they tell me, but I remember little of it, for when 'he' takes control, I find myself inexplicably trapped in a place where I can see nor hear anything. Ugh... What a horrible night to have a curse," he muttered bitterly, some of his frustration noticeably leaking out as he spoke. Colten definitely didn't seem to be getting any communication on a regular basis, judging from the way he just spilled out info to Robin between his moments of hesitation. "Well, I don't mean to be keeping you from this lovely journey. Is that all?"

NorthernCross

Reputation score

“A 'Crimson Maiden'...” Robin repeated to herself, “Anything else you remember that might be helpful? Or anything you wish to say or request? Otherwise, I should head out for Ingmoor to begin my investigation.”

Robin paused the see if Colten had anything else to say before continuing.

“Farewell then...” Robin bowed to him again before turning to leave, but not before saying one last thing. “And with respect... there are many powerful people in this world who don't declare themselves openly. It would probably be wise to respect any stranger as if they were a 'Crimson Maiden' in disguise.”

Robin, if unobstructed, then left with the intention of preparing for her journey to Ingmoor. She would request the guard inform Lord Hodrim of this if he hadn't requested to see her before leaving, otherwise her next step would be to return to Therion to gather supplies and to find someplace private to read the sealed letter she'd received.

Takimaru

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

"Hahahahahahaha......"
Colten's laugh was somewhat eerie, and he just shook his head, possessed of the same ironic look from before. "That's cute. I have plenty to request, but none that you've the power to grant right now, obviously. How about this--bring me a woman, perhaps? Heh. By the gods, if I had one here with me... oh, the things I would do to her!"

His little tirade was followed by another chuckle. "Hahaha... ahhh. No, go along now. I don't need you to tell me of lessons that this curse hasn't already taught me. Enjoy, have fun, yes?"

His tone was half-sarcastic, the man obviously having been pushed past the edge in his poor attitude, like someone who laughs when they feel that their day couldn't possibly get any worse.

After exiting the chamber, Robin was greeted by the two guards waiting just outside the steel barrier, the more disciplined of which took her order.

"I'll be sure to relay the information to Lord Hodrim," he confirmed with the noble before leading her back through the premises to the vastly different and more welcoming atmosphere of the newer mansion. He bid her an abrupt farewell afterwards, leaving the disguised woman to her own devices.

A brief journey took her back to Therion, where the duelist found an opportunity to read the contents of the envelope given to her earlier in the day.

Inside was not so much an actual letter as it was a list of resources.

To Whomever It May Concern,
The following resources are Hodrim-owned establishments by which any necessities can be procured at a premium discount.
Lord Roger Phineleus Hodrim

Nine Fairies Inn ~ Food, Shelter
Blueblood Outfitters ~ Clothing Needs
Cerialis Armory ~ Armor & Weaponry
Nivea's Potions ~ Herbalist
Mirthwell Agency ~ Travel Services
If she so wished, Robin could stop by any of these places for whatever goods she might need. Otherwise, she could consult the last on the list for the means by which to travel to Ingmoor, or seek to make the trip herself.