What's new

Beginning Game Design/General Programming Thread!

Twisted1

Mystic Girl
Reputation score
Hello, everyone!

This past year or so, I have really grown to like the idea of designing/programming games, but as a budding college student my experience rested solely in playing them. I'm taking a class now (in C++) and studying on my own, but I figured that every bit of inspiration, every little hint, every book suggestion would help me on my path.

Anyway, I'm hoping to use this thread to share and gather any and all tips, tricks, and suggestions that I (or any of you) can find that relates to any sort of programming or game design. I don't have much to contribute, unfortunately, as I've just started learning a couple of months ago, but here we go anyway!

Though I've recently stopped using this book for one reason or another, I've found Beginning C++ Through Game Programming by Michael Dawson to be a far more interesting read than most C++ books:

I guess what I'm really looking for is direction and good tutorials, but anything will help, and this thread isn't just about me! Anyway, please post anything you find that might be helpful to a beginning game creator and/or novice programmer! Thanks in advance!

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Beginning Game Design/General Programming Thread!

I did a little bit of programming in high school. Can't remember too much of the specifics unfortunately, but I do remember the most important thing I was told when writing larger programming files. Write more notes than you need, all over it. and a big one at the end of every session, to remind yourself exactly what you were doing when you set it down. eventually, your code will grow so large that you can't remember exactly what everything is in there for, so it's best to get in the habit early.

Good luck and have fun!

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Know what language to use for your project. Generally, video game creators will use Object Oriented programming languages, and that's just usually fine. C++ for larger games, or Java for smaller ones is generally the route I've heard one should go. Though, I hear from some people that Python is good for game coding too. Also, if you're using a studio for making games, like the Elder Scrolls Construction set, the Avernum/Exile Scenario creator, RPGMaker, ect. Knowing some basic scripting might be a good idea.

And, as Shrike said, comment everything. I once had to write a game in assembler, and the only reason I got as much of it working as I did was because I commented every single little thing that did anything, with an explanation as to why I did it that way.

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

Don't forget that properly formatting your code with empty rows and indentations is as important for readability as commenting.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

is this forum really the best place for this? maybe blank page?

Cappy

Reputation score

is this forum really the best place for this? maybe blank page?
I think the Blank Page is even LESS appropriate Nunu, isn't it supposed to be for original content and personal works rather than instructional multi-purpose education threads?

the_taken

King of the Impossible
Reputation score

My parents have been in the IT industry their entire careers. My mother is a certified software tester, and my dad gets royalties from several banks and major stores every year for systems he made for them 30 years ago. I've grown up with them telling me that the biggest mistake programmers make is done before they start programming. They do very little planning and start coding right away.

What you need to do before starting to code is to plan out your project completely. Know everything you are going to do before you do any of it. Then, pseudo-code the fuck out of your program before even putting in a single line of code. You'd be amazed at how much time you'll save not hunting down bugs, or cutting down spaghetti code when you can see the problems on paper and sticky notes beforehand.

If you don't do that, you end up doing more and more thrashing (fixing stuff) as opposed to getting things done.

OP
Twisted1

Twisted1

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

I think the Blank Page is even LESS appropriate Nunu, isn't it supposed to be for original content and personal works rather than instructional multi-purpose education threads?
Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking, though even now I'm not certain.

What you need to do before starting to code is to plan out your project completely. Know everything you are going to do before you do any of it. Then, pseudo-code the fuck out of your program before even putting in a single line of code. You'd be amazed at how much time you'll save not hunting down bugs, or cutting down spaghetti code when you can see the problems on paper and sticky notes beforehand.

If you don't do that, you end up doing more and more thrashing (fixing stuff) as opposed to getting things done.

I figured this was going to be an issue once I start making bigger things... I've had trouble planning things out in the past. When it comes to stories I tend to use quick bursts of inspiration to pull ideas out of my hat, but now I'm gonna have to back those up with lots and lots of note-taking for the programming side.

Keep up the awesome advice, everyone, it's definitely appreciated.

Also, as an aside for those of us who are still in college: I personally enjoyed Code::Blocks as an IDE for C++ (it seemed fast but still robust) and as such don't have much experience with anything else, but if you can verify that you're a student, you may be able to get free Microsoft software (Visual Studio, OSes, whatever your school has managed to get from them) through their program. I don't really know how many schools have access to this, but it was definitely been helpful to me.

handofdoz

Lurker
Reputation score

look up extra credits, a web series made by game designers

and remember, above all else a game is made to be fun, entertaining, and interesting.

Cappy

Reputation score

look up extra credits, a web series made by game designers

It is quite an entertaining show. I would take some of what they say with a grain of salt, but it's generally some nice food for thought, even if you aren't interested in designing games.

It has a lot less to do with code or actual programming ethics, and a lot more to do with just about everything else. They've just made a move from Escapist Magazine to Penny Arcade, so a good deal of their episodes are missing at the moment. They should be re-released eventually.