What's new

Books

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Books

I've read a few Stephen King books. Out of all of them, Duma Key is probably my favourite. It deals with a man coming to grips with losing his arm in an accident. Also, a ghost ship.

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

I've heard some very good things about the Dark Tower series, but the main reason I've not picked them up is because I'm not a fan of Stephen King. I enjoy the writings he does as Richard Bachman, but as himself I've only liked the Shining.
It's very.... meta. I'd recommend it. I'm not a big fan of Stephen King but only in the sense that I'm not a big fan of horror in general. I never watched It or the Shining or any of his other stuff, and still enjoyed the series very much. I guess there's all sorts of little coded references to his other works so you might appreciate it more if you've read some other stuff. But meh. I enjoyed it.

mataroki

Mac N' Cheese Heretic
Reputation score

Joe McKinneys "dead world" series is pretty beast, really good zpmbie books ^^

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

Yesterday I finished reading Wolfblade by Jennifer Fallon. It's a low-magic pseudo-medieval fantasy. The setting is pretty interesting with slaves, female relatives of nobles being traded for political favours and all that. The story focuses on the sister of the ruler who gets traded back and forth, growing more and more cynical and politically savvy as time goes on. It's not a nice story, but it's well-written and sort of intriguing.

The ending was kind of disappointing to me since I like happy endings: Marla(who is the main character) killed her husband who she used to love in order to secure all the power to her hands, since her brother is a complete tool. She had a good reason for that, though.

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

So my favorite author is Tamora Pierce, because I'm an immature shit I guess. She writes fantasy stuff, that primarily have female protagonists growing up to be heroes and stuff, and apparently feminist or something. No one I ever talk to shows any interest in her, which makes me sad.

They're not heavy or awesome tales of crazy backstabbing politics or anything, but I like them a lot.

As a short summary of the various series, there's one set in a "Tortall" universe, and one in the "Circle" universe.

The Lioness Rampant series is the first of her books, set in Tortall, and it's about a noble's girl that wants to become a knight, but is forbidden because boys only. So, she switches places with her brother, and has to hide her gender, struggle and overcome simply being weaker and smaller than the other boys of her class, going through puberty, etc. Eventually she reveals her gender (i.e. once she's knighted and they can't kick her out), and then spoilers spoilers adventures happen.

The second series is called "The Immortals" - it features Daine, who has unusually powerful wild magic that gives her the ability to commune with animals, and, as she learns to use it, shapechange into them. A powerful wizard finds and teaches her how to use her abilities. In the second book, she becomes a wolf, and joins with a pack of actual, not-wizard wolves, to investigate strange goings-on in the place they inhabit. The third has her accompanying her mentor on a diplomatic mission to their equivalent of Egypt, where the rulers there try to pry her away from her mentor, and/or recruit them to their country. Politics! Then there's a fourth book. I think dragons are involved, it's been awhile. I also recall there being a part where she almost gets raped by a minotaur or something. Traumatic times.

The third is called "Protector of the Small" - it follows another girl, who wants to become a knight. Thanks to Alanna, it's now legal - but she still faces a ton of prejudice and stuff. The heroine this time is Keladry - who had spent the majority of her childhood in their equivalent of Japan. She's a big girl, but has no magical ability, like Alanna had. Eventually, she becomes squire to one of Alanna's buddies, Raoul. As you could guess, a lot of old characters figure into this story.

Next is the Tricksters series, which follows Alanna's daughter, who goes for a little boat ride one day against her parent's wishes, and ends up getting captured by slavers. The plot synopsis for this is kinda spoilery, but suffice it to say she becomes a little more than a slave. Only two books, too, instead of the "quartet" thing this series has had up 'til now, too, which is kinda sad.

Then there's the latest series, "Provost's Dog". It's set 200 years before Alanna's time, and follows a guardswoman named Bekah, who both is from and works the lower city. It's told in a first-person diary style (or at least, the first is), and it's pretty cool.

The Circle setting differs, somewhat - no mention is made of Tortall, and it follows a little foursome of "ambient mages" - mages that use magic from around them. The main protagonists are Sandry, a friendly little nobless who's magic is based on thread and weaving; Tris, a snappish weather mage; Daja, a metal mage who used to be part of a ship-going culture of traders before they sank; and Briar, an ex-thief/street rat plant mage/herbalist.

The first four books have them all together, living in a mage community, learning their crafts and their magic - Sandry, weaving/spinning, Briar, gardening, Daja, smithing.

Each of the books feature one of the characters, who is vital to the events that happen. For example - in the first, they become trapped, and Sandry has to 'spin' their magic together, like thread, which essentially binds them together for life.

The second sees pirates attacking them with a completely unknown weapon, threatening their community. The third, they go with their mentors to another part of the realm, which is being threatened by drought and fires - and in the last, a deadly magical plague overtakes the city.

The second quartet of the series sees the protagonists as qualified mages and teachers, and they travel the world with their respective mentors, each taking on ambient mages that they find under their tutelage as well. Sandry discovers a dance-mage, son to police families in her city, who she struggles with. Briar finds a stone-mage, who he has to protect from a gang that wants to prey on her (something about gemstones). Daja goes to the wintry north, and finds a pair of them - one whose magic lies with wood, and the other in cooking. Tris, meanwhile, goes south, and finds a glass-mage glassblower artisan who was struck by lightning - losing his affinity with glass, but gaining the ability to mix the two.

There are two more books, none of which come in the quartet format - The Will of the Empress, wherein the Empress (and cousin to Sandry) of a neighboring kingdom invites Sandry to visit - so she can convince her to stay, because she wants her magical abilities. This takes place after the last, and all the four come back together - only to find that, in their years apart, they've grown apart, somewhat. The Empress is slightly fucking nuts, as people with absolute power tend to be, so it's a book about them bonding again, and dealing with the temptations and threats of the ruler.

The last book (which I've not read) is Melting Stones, which was another Briar story, wherein some shit happened with his student. It happens in between the Empress book and the last series - it's alluded to in Empress, even, but yeah.

Anway, TL;DR, I think she's good and you should totally read these things. I probably don't summarize them well, they're totally less shit when it's not me conveying things about them. :x

OP
Sinfulwolf

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Well, I'm intrigued. I'll have to look her up as well.

Zelzar

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

An epilouge for Metro 2033 that will lead to Metro:Last Light game, Metro 2034 and so-to-be-written Metro 2035

........Holy Shit.

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

So, I kinda forgot that I was going to review Mistborn, so here it comes.

The first book is basically focused on a heist(think Ocean's 11) except in a larger scale with a goal to overthrow an empire. It also introduces the setting which is totally awesome.

Can't say too much about the second and third book without spoilers, but they're basically focused on saving the world. Very different in theme, and not quite as good(which is to say that they're still good, just not as awesome as the first one).

Also, Alloy of Law:
It's set several centuries after the trilogy where the heroes saved the world with lots of sacrifices and stuff. The technology has advanced to steampunk/wild west with revolvers and stuff. Mistings and feruchemists are still around, but there are no mistborn or feruchemists with access to all powers, and hemalurgy is forgotten about. It's interesting to see how the setting has evolved, but I honestly don't find the book nearly as captivating as the others.

Brasissimo

Demon Girl
Reputation score

I didn't read the whole thread yet, so I don't know if someone already posted this but:

The Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn Saga, by Tad Williams (that in my country came out as "Ciclo delle Spade").
It has three book, The Dragonbone Chair (Hardcover 1988, Paperback 1989), Stone of Farewell (Hardcover 1990, Paperback 1991) and To Green Angel Tower (Hardcover 1993). The last one was split into two volumes.

They tell the tale of a young kitchen porter, friend of an old doctor, that end up being involved in an epic adventure when a corrupted scholar burns alive the old doctor and schemes with the king to offer, in exchange for power, the life of the king's brother as a sacrifice to the Norns, an evil people of immortals who hates humanity.

The Witches of Karres, a novel by James H. Schmitz, is also worthy of note. It was written in 1949, so it's a bit on the old fashion side, but it is a true classic of the space opera genre. It has a mix of fantasy, hard science fiction and humor, and it's very well written.

pangtong128

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck. A simple and earthy read, but an engaging story. It's actually part of a trilogy, I think.

Also, Hawaii by James Michener. Sooooooooo cool.

White Oak

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

So I've begun to read the Poetic Edda, boy is that a tough read. I spend more time readying the footnotes than the actual prose.

Wonderboy

Lurker
Reputation score

Just finished reading Bad Science by Ben Goldacre.

In spite of sometimes lacking eloquence, I find it to be an amazing book, and wholeheartedly advise anyone with even a smidgen of interest in bad pharmaceutical companies, homeopaths and quacks to read it.

Zelzar

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

So for a book about a jamapocalypse... Well, it's not as strong as Mogworld, lesser jokes that made me laugh, and too much jumping around. Even the main character seems a bit bland which is wierd because the other characters are extremly colourfull.

BUT!! It's a decent book to say atleast with an original threat on a "not so original" setting

johnkane

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

I actually couldn't read Wheel of Time, Shannara, or the Dragonlance books. They just didn't draw me in, and I would get bored whenever I started them. Same with most of Stephen King's. Not that the books are bad I just can't read them.

For non-fantasy I like Nelson DeMille especially The General's Daughter and Up Country Both about Paul Brenner the CID agent. The Gold Coast is good but not really my type of book.

They're kind of long, but James Clavell is good, too.
you should read the Gunslinger by Stephen King...it's the 1st book in a 7 book series.

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn was awesome; I re-read those several times.

Also, I went into the Dark Tower series not expecting to like it... but came out having read all seven and being seriously impressed with King's storytelling.

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Been reading me whatever Tamora Pierce books I could get my mitts on recently. Currently trying to down Terrier, one of the newest books, about a rookie town guard. I mentioned it briefly in that last poast because I couldn't remember what the fuck happened in it, but now that I'm reading it again it's great and I totally recommend it.

The protagonist, Bekah, is probably the second least magical out of all of Pierce's protags - the number one spot for that being Keladry of... Mindelain, I think. The Emelan series is all about a bunch of mages, so of course that shit's right out, whereas the other Tortall books are about Alanna and Diane - the first of which learns some magic to complement her swordplay, while the second is drood as fuck.

Anyway, in this series, pigeons are the messengers and ferrymen for The Black God, God of Death. Those who were murdered and/or had business left undone sometimes cling to the pigeons, and Bekah can hear them. She doesn't have any real command over them - she just feeds them all the time, and listens to what thoughts cling to them as they feed and whatnot. She can also hear words inside dust spinners - the sort of little dust devils you see in the streets sometimes, when leaves and shit blow in circles.

She's a guardswoman - a Dog the guards are nicknamed, with the appropriate naming schemes applied throughout - barracks and guardhouses ('police stations') are kennels, trainees (of which Bekah is one - at least for the first book) are Puppies, etc.

It bears repeating that she grew up in the shitty, dangerousasfuck poor district, which she specifically requested to go to.

It presents a very interesting dynamic - it's not GUARDS VS CROOKS, GRRRR, I SCOWL UPON YOU CRIMINALS FROM MY PLACE OF JUSTICE, but more... involved, let's say. The Dogs themselves go to the Court of the Rogue - the thief king - themselves to collect bribes, which are distributed amongst the entirety of the guardforce to supplement their shitty incomes, which is seen as a natural thing. One of the first lessons Bekah gets under her Senior Dog trainers is that she shouldn't raise a fuss over every little crime she sees - instead of bringing in some small fry, just stop what's happening, keep the peace, stuff. Her best friend from her early years is the daughter of a crime lord, all kinds of neat stuff. Pick that shit up.

Imma have to fuck off to ye library to nab me the other two books, because *_*

kitchenandlores

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I've been trying to get more into reading lately, mostly to just to kill time when I travel from A to B. Its great seeing my bookshelf gradually collect more books over time.

Right now I've been reading Murakami novels, now being After Dark which I'm about finish. I've also read Norwegian Wood, Kafka on the Shore and The Wind-up Bird Chronicle.

Hoyasiamica

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

has anyone else here read Columbine by Dave Cullen?
I really dislike the way the author talks in that he acts so familiar to everyone else

along with that, the book seems incredibly long to me, someone who isn't very interested in the topic in the first place, as he adds a lot of detail

Ranger Princess

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Hey everyone, I have a question for all you avid fantasy, sci-fi, and paranormal readers.

I love these stories to death, especially anything with elves but honestly any kind of fantasy/scifi story will do. My problem for the longest time though is I don't like to read about terrible things happening to my favorite characters. I wish to be happy while I'm reading not always crying over somebody's death or nervously clutching my stuffed monkey in terror that someone might cut my favorite character's tongue out or kill her and toss her in a vat of disgusting liquids (this actually happened: fuck you Scott Lynch). It's even worse because I have a tendency to adore the side characters while finding the protagonist really annoying, and we all know side characters always have less immunity to the bad stuff. In fact, the only protagonist I've actually liked in recent memory is Aphenglow from The Dark Legacy of Shannara trilogy.

It seems like a lot of fantasy authors are obsessed with including these dark events in their stories for literary value or whatever. That's fine - different cups of tea for different folks and all that.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any good books or series where the story is more happy and less dark. It might be kinda weird, but I actually like reading about elves sipping tea by a nice, warm fire and happily hugging each other after finding some secret clue in a lost diary (just the first example that popped into my head, hehe). It doesn't bother me at all to know that my favorite character's are probably going to be okay in the end. It actually makes me feel a lot better.

Anyway, if anything comes to mind, I'd really appreciate it.

Minerve

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Hey everyone, I have a question for all you avid fantasy, sci-fi, and paranormal readers.

I love these stories to death, especially anything with elves but honestly any kind of fantasy/scifi story will do. My problem for the longest time though is I don't like to read about terrible things happening to my favorite characters. I wish to be happy while I'm reading not always crying over somebody's death or nervously clutching my stuffed monkey in terror that someone might cut my favorite character's tongue out or kill her and toss her in a vat of disgusting liquids (this actually happened: fuck you Scott Lynch). It's even worse because I have a tendency to adore the side characters while finding the protagonist really annoying, and we all know side characters always have less immunity to the bad stuff. In fact, the only protagonist I've actually liked in recent memory is Aphenglow from The Dark Legacy of Shannara trilogy.

It seems like a lot of fantasy authors are obsessed with including these dark events in their stories for literary value or whatever. That's fine - different cups of tea for different folks and all that.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any good books or series where the story is more happy and less dark. It might be kinda weird, but I actually like reading about elves sipping tea by a nice, warm fire and happily hugging each other after finding some secret clue in a lost diary (just the first example that popped into my head, hehe). It doesn't bother me at all to know that my favorite character's are probably going to be okay in the end. It actually makes me feel a lot better.

Anyway, if anything comes to mind, I'd really appreciate it.
Strange... The music you like is quite depressive though.

Anyway, if you're lookin' for fantasy/sci-fi/else with only fun and joy, you'll have to look to the kids/teens books: usually people like to read about people dyin'. Why would they read things about wonderful lands with evil creatures all around otherwise? Else, it'll be romantic stories 'bout elves and werewolves.

In other words, you're "fucked" and ya won't find a lot of good stories/books with what you're lookin' for... (The best example is the LotR saga: poetic and joyful but sad at the same time: poetry is often sad or melancolic)