What's new

Character Concepts Thread

[Sc8]Hardware

Official Curmudgeon
Reputation score
Post your concepts/sheets here. If you've done your sheet yourself, once I've approved it, I'll copy the information to an "Approved Characters" thread. Or, if I'm doing the grunt-work, I'll post the character to the thread once I've completed the sheet.

Aaaand...go!

Last edited:

ShadowWolfSBI

Chief Spam Hunter Why Are You Making Me Do This
Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Character Concepts Thread

I'll go ahead and throw my character sheet thing up... Although I'm probably going to end up having him change his "mask name" at some point, maybe in-game even.

Max Tolzen, aka "the Night Doctor"

The Night Doctor
Max Tolzen

VAL CHA Cost Roll Notes
24 STR 4 14- HTH Damage 4 1/2d6 END [1]
15 DEX 10 12-
15 CON 5 12-
25 INT 15 14- PER Roll 14-
20 EGO 10 13-
15 PRE 5 12- PRE Attack: 3d6
4 OCV 5
4 DCV 5
4 OMCV 3
4 DMCV 3
6 SPD 40 Phases: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12
5 PD 3 5/10 PD (0/5 rPD)
5 ED 3 5/10 ED (0/5 rED)
15 REC 1
40 END 4
15 BODY 5
25 STUN 3

Movement Cost Meters Notes
RUNNING 0 12m/24m END [1]
SWIMMING 0 4m/8m END [1]
LEAPING 0 4m 4m forward, 2m upward

SWINGING 24m/24m

Characteristics Total: 124

Cost Powers
19 Combat Suit Support Systems: Life Support (Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing) - END=0
5 Helmet Visor Filters: Sight Group Flash Defense (5 points) - END=0
5 Helmet Decibel Filters: Hearing Group Flash Defense (5 points) - END=0
15 Armored Suit: Resistant Protection (5 PD/5 ED) - END=0
17 Phantom Cloak System: Invisibility to Sight and Hearing Groups (25 Active Points); Lockout (Suit's weapons systems disabled while in use, direct contact disrupts effect.; -1/2) - END=2
15 Armor Suit Servos: +10 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (15 Active Points) - END=
10 Pulson Microreactor: +10 REC - END=
10 Grapple Line: Swinging 24m (12 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), no Noncombat movement (-1/4) [Notes: (x2 number of items)] - END=[1 rc]
45 Injector Gauntlet: Multipower, 60-point reserve, (60 Active Points); No Range (-1/2) [Notes: (x2 number of items)] - END=
3f 1) Poison Injection: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6 (30 Active Points) - END=3
4f 2) Sedative Injection: Drain STUN 4d6 (40 Active Points) - END=4
45 Canister Launcher: Multipower, 40-point reserve, (40 Active Points) [Notes: (x2 number of items)] - END=
1f 1) Smoke Canister: Darkness to Sight Group 3m radius (15 Active Points) - END=1
4f 2) Net Canisters: Entangle 4d6, 4 PD/4 ED (40 Active Points) - END=4

Powers Total: 198

Cost Martial Arts
16 +4 HTH Damage Class(es)
4 Choke Hold: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +0 DCV, Grab One Limb; 4d6 NND
4 Joint Lock/Throw: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +0 DCV, Grab One Limb; 3d6 NND ; Target Falls
3 Legsweep: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -1 DCV, 9 1/2d6 Strike, Target Falls

Martial Arts Total: 27

Cost Skills
9 Electronics 17-
5 Paramedics 15-
5 Computer Programming 15-
9 Inventor 17-
9 Mechanics 17-
6 Science Skill: Chemistry 17-
9 Shadowing 17-
9 Concealment 17-
5 Science Skill: Biology 16-
0 Language: English (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)

Skills Total: 66

Cost Perks
40 Vehicles & Bases
2 Money: Well Off

Perks Total: 42

Cost Talents
5 Eidetic Memory
3 Lightsleep
3 Lightning Calculator
4 Speed Reading (x10)
3 Ambidexterity (no Off Hand penalty)

Talents Total: 18

Value Complications
15 Hunted: Richard Taswell Infrequently (As Pow; PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find; Harshly Punish)
5 Distinctive Features: Faded Burn Scars (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
20 Hunted: VIPER Infrequently (Mo Pow; NCI; Harshly Punish)
15 Social Complication: Secret Identity (Victor Tolzen) Frequently, Major
20 Hunted: PRIMUS Infrequently (Mo Pow; NCI; Watching)

Complications Points: 75

Base Points: 475
Experience: 0
Experience Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 475

And background, personality, and appearance...

Backstory:

Max Tolzen comes from an industrial family. However, during his early childhood, he showed far more interest in the inner workings of machines, rather than the factory operation that his father believed was the family's business. Things came to a sort of head between the two when Victor left for college, and there's not been any contact between Max and his family since.

During his first semester at Ark City University, Max seemed to merely be going through the motions in his engineering classes, even as he breezed through them. As it came time to plan his next semester's classes, one of the other students he knew, one Richard Taswell, suggested to Max that he switch tracks, and look into biochemistry, with an eye towards pharmaceuticals. Max eventually decided to add a few of those classes to his load, and by his third semester, he had decided to make the switch.

During his new classes, Max became lab partners with Taswell, as well as friendly rivals. That all exploded, literally, one day as a lab experiment went wrong. Initially, Max was blamed for it and expelled from the University. It seemed at first like the elder Tolzen had been vindicated. However, some days later, after Max had been discharged from the hospital, he happened to overhear a phone conversation that seemed to indicate that Taswell had set up the "accident" to cover his own departure from the University... a departure triggered by Richard joining up with the VIPER Organization.

His initial efforts in finding evidence to clear his name did not go well at all... In part due to a total lack of any form of equipment, special abilities, or even serviceable disguise. He quickly fell into a minor depression, and began wandering the city... Eventually ending up in the Eastern District, out past the Chimney. It was there that he stumbled across a hidden entrance to a ruined bunker. After exploring the accessible part, he found bits and pieces of power armor suits, and other gear... All bearing the markings of VIPER. Seeing an amusing twist of using their own abandoned equipment against VIPER, Max turned some of his savings to the task of quietly gathering supplies, and he slowly began repairing and refurbishing the bunker into a base of sorts, while at the same time re-purposing the cast-off bits and developing his own components. A slight twist left him with an idea of hiding the appearance of his armor behind the costume of a Plague Doctor, and Max's "mask" was finally finished.

Now better equipped, Max was able to make headway in his mission. Further efforts scored a Pulson micro-reactor, as well as nano-factories for his armor, removing the need for multiple "clips" for his offensive systems. Eventually, Max was able to find the evidence to clear himself of blame for the accident, although Taswell managed to leave the area before he could be captured. During his investigation, though, Max sometimes received mysterious aid... Something that troubles him, as he often finds himself wondering who, or what, was helping him.

In addition, since clearing his name, Max has opened a tech repair shop in the Central District of Ark City, near the river. Much of his workload is assisting in minor repairs of equipment from the manufacturers in the Western District.

Personality:

Max seems a very quiet and reserved person, normally. The kind of person that would be happier working on some piece of technology or some chemical problem, in fact. For the most part, that image is correct. However, he has been noted as opening up more to those he becomes friends with, or as he gets to know someone better. After that point, he'll start getting a bit more talkative, even cracking a few jokes... bad though they might be.

While "in the field", his reserved, observant side becomes more pronounced, although that might just be him trying to adjust to his new role, as well as a psychological side-effect of having what amounts to a personal cloaking device.

Much of his quiet and reticence at forming personal relationships can be traced back to the events that motivate him as a hero... A drive to punish Taswell and his VIPER allies for the accident. However, as he's gone about his "work", Max is starting to realize that there's more he can be doing aside from just trying to go after his "main" targets.

Appearance:

In his "civilian" clothes, Max readily seems to fit the "ordinary white guy" description, with the only remarkable elements of his appearance being his full, yet neatly trimmed beard and his similarly neatly groomed hair. A closer look at him, particularly his face, reveals some faded burn scars, likely from the lab accident.

The suit of armor that he wears while "in the field" is a relatively stream-lined suit. Max has taken care to redesign all of the outer surfaces of the scavenged pieces to remove the original VIPER detailing on it, and has painted the whole thing in a dark blue scheme with several dark grey patches. The helmet of the suit has an attached visor with red optics which can be raised via a chin-operated control. The vambraces of the suit each contain a pair of systems: a variable payload "canister launcher", the ammo for which operates similar to miniature grenade launchers, and a variable payload "injector system", which allows Max to extend syringe-like attachments from his forearms over the backs of his hands. Over the suit, he wears a long black overcoat with a tall collar, a black wide-brimmed hat and hood, and a brown plague doctor-style mask.

Base details will come later, Hardware's said it's not critical just yet. He's got the sheet, though.

Last edited:

Caulder

Is completely fucking irrelevant. And he's a bitch
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Throwin' mine in too.

Mozzie, AKA "The Conductor"

Show
"The Conductor"
Mozart "Mozzie" Newgate

VAL CHA Cost Roll Notes
10 STR 0 11- HTH Damage 2d6 END [1]
10 DEX 0 11-
20 CON 10 13-
15 INT 5 12- PER Roll 12-
20 EGO 10 13-
20 PRE 10 13- PRE Attack: 4d6
5 OCV 10
5 DCV 10
5 OMCV 6
10 DMCV 21
5 SPD 30 Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12
5 PD 3 5 PD (0 rPD)
5 ED 3 5 ED (0 rED)
8 REC 4
55 END 7
20 BODY 10
35 STUN 8

RUNNING 0 72m/144m END [7]
SWIMMING 3 10m/20m END [1]
LEAPING 5 13m 13m forward, 6 1/2m upward

TELEPORTATION 112m/448m

Characteristics Total: 154

Cost Powers
45 Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6 - END=4
15 Blast 3d6 - END=1
15 Dispel Sonic Powers 5d6 - END=1
15 Hearing Group Flash 5d6 - END=1
30 Luck 6d6 - END=0
60 Speed of Sound: Running +60m (72m total) - END=6
117 Teleportation 112m, x4 Noncombat - END=12

Powers Total: 297

Cost Skills
3 KS: Music 12-
0 Language: English (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)
3 Charm 13-
3 Conversation 13-
3 Persuasion 13-
3 Streetwise 13-
4 PS: Musician 14-

Skills Total: 19

Cost Talents
3 Perfect Pitch
2 +1/+1d6 Striking Appearance (vs. females)

Talents Total: 5

Value Complications
15 Social Complication: Secret Identity - Mozzie Frequently, Major
20 Hunted: PRIMUS Frequently (Mo Pow; NCI; PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find; Watching)
10 Distinctive Features: Red Irises (Easily Concealed; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
15 Psychological Complication: Womanizer (Common; Strong)
15 Social Complication: University Student Frequently, Major

And his backstory.
Mozart, or Mozzie as he prefers, has been an orphan since the age of 4. When his parents were taken from him in a car accident, he was one of the many children sent through the foster care program. He's been through half a dozen households, and called half a dozen couples mother and father, the last of which he still maintains contact with to this day.

As long as Mozzie can remember, he's always been special. From his near-perfect skill with almost any instrument, to his......."unique" application of music and sound, to his red irises, he's always been different from everyone, and has always hidden as much of his special gifts as he could.

For most of his early life, he kept it rather well-hidden, going through life as just an ordinary citizen of Ark City. That is, until he began to experiment in his high school years. With practice, and experimentation, he discovered he could manipulate sound to do whatever he wished. Since then, he's taken it upon himself to act the hero when he can find enough spare time to do so.

Mozzie is now in his second year of college, and survives off of his best skill: Music. Be it playing music at the Broken Shillelagh Pub, or out on the streets with his saxophone, Mozzie scrapes by earning a living off of his music, and when he's not in classes or performing, he dons a theater mask, and takes on the role of The Conductor, the Master of Sound, protector of the innocent. At least, that's what he tells himself.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Might as well give it a try.

James Sampson aka "AmPhear"

I don't know the system so I can't really roll up a char... so the rest is for GM eyes only?, let me know what I need to change. Also he's pretty anti-hero I hope that's allowed.

Stats:?

Looking for a eletrikinetic, similar to electro. Powers should include eletical teleport (just lightnings through the air), ability to move through conductive substances (but can't take anything other than clothes with him), weaker electircal attacks (see BS/description), ability to phase into electricity to mitigate incoming attacks or some other reason to make striking him physically not feasible. He should be fast, above average intelligence, with moderate fortitude, high willpower, below average physical strength.

If you don't want to gen for me, shoot me a link and I'll do it myself, or don't do either and I'll get around to it eventually...

Backstory:
James was never much of anything other than content, just 'scraping by' on his way through life. Maybe once he'd had higher aspirations, but those had long faded from hope by the time Battle of the River happened. At the time James was living on the outskirts of the city, taking any odd jobs he could to make cash, during the Battle of the River he was making a 'delivery' (something he didn't like doing under the best circumstances, but often enough had to and today they were paying TRIPLE) he was struck by an extradimensional entity in the form of electricity. The creature died upon contact with James, as he himself passed out.

Weeks later he discovered when becoming frustrated with a poorly balanced match on OG (online shootah!?) that his temper caused the electricity in his shitty apartment to flicker, after some experimentation he managed to trip the breaker and a hero was born!

Or not, while James could do some neat 'tricks' with electrical devices his ability to generate or store ampherage was rather low. In fact even now he's barely able to incapacitate NORMAL people, let alone masks, a weakness that infuriates him. Over time he was able to develop the ability to move using electricity, at first he could only do so using an electrical grid but can now move through any sufficiently conductive material and even the air which opened up some rather lucrative employment opportunities. Now donning a mask and taking the name AmPhear he works as a burgalar of sorts, being able to easily bypass any modern security measures on entry. Unfortunately when trying to move through the grid with any molecularly complex items the result is always the same, upon exit they turn to dust (you try converting things to electrons and then back again, aint fuckin easy is it?). So while he's quite exceptional at infiltrating secure facilities stealthily his exits tend to be far more frantic and cacophonous affairs, leading to confrontations with do-gooder masks (capes? is that the correct slang?).

Lacking any way to directly harm others AmPhear prefers to try using subterfuge, deception, and terror to defeat his foes often acting like a serial killer toying with his victims. What's more terrifying than the thought of something that can be anywhere at any moment and stop your heart with a single zap? One that can actually hurt you obviously, but masks don't need to know that. Though I imagine this often fails, the fact is he's really just trying to buy time to figure out a way to flee with whatever he's stolen or a place to hide it until he can come back.

Outside of his illegal activities James life hasn't changed much, though he can afford nicer things... He's still just a lazy get-by kind of guy. Spends most of his time messing around with hobbies including but not limited to TCGs, video games, movies, tv shows, board games, and PnP RPGs. Though if given the opportunity he'd jump at the chance to improve his powers, even more so if the lethatlity could be increased as he often thinks "Of course I'd get a pussy super-power".

Following the events of The Battle of River, James found himself without a place to live and moved to NY for a time. But once ARK city was up and running, he returned. He now rents an apartment along the river in the western industrial district.

Physical appearence:
Height: 5'11"
Eyes: Grey
Hair: Brown shoulder-lentgh, typically unshaved facial hair but no real beard
Body type? : Overweight, out of shape (Not obese though!)
Suit: Black with a white lightning bolt spray-painted on the chest, black ski-mask, black gloves (It's obvious he just bought some black clothes and didn't put much effort into making the suit, but the materials should all have simple molecular composition).

TL;DR I created the most passive character I could manage without realizing what I was doing, lol.

EDIT: ((And here's the sheet!))

AmPhear
James Sampson

VAL CHA Cost Roll Notes
15 STR 5 12- HTH Damage 3d6 END [1]
18 DEX 16 13-
18 CON 8 13-
20 INT 10 13- PER Roll 13-
20 EGO 10 13-
20 PRE 10 13- PRE Attack: 4d6
7 OCV 20
7 DCV 20
7 OMCV 12
7 DMCV 12
6 SPD 40 Phases: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12
8 PD 6 8 PD (0 rPD)
8 ED 6 8/23 ED (0/15 rED)
12 REC 8
30 END 2
25 BODY 15
30 STUN 5

RUNNING 8 20m/40m END [2]
SWIMMING 3 10m/20m END [1]
LEAPING 1 5m 5m forward, 2 1/2m upward

TELEPORTATION 20m/80m
TUNNELING 10m/20m

Characteristics Total: 217

Cost Powers
20 Lightning Jump: Teleportation 20m, x4 Noncombat (25 Active Points); Must Pass Through Intervening Space (-1/4) - END=2
31 Resistant Protection (15 ED/15 Power Defense) (Protect Carried Items) (55 Active Points); Only Works Against Uncommon attack (Only against electrical attacks; -3/4) - END=0
11 Current Shift: Tunneling 10m through 1 PD material, Fill In (22 Active Points); Limited Medium Very Limited (Conductive Surfaces Only; -1) - END=2
25 Spark Shower: Group Flash 5d6 - END=2
15 Lightning Crack: Blast 3d6 - END=1
20 Spark Cloud: Desolidification (40 Active Points); Only To Protect Against [Limited Type Of Attack] (Physical Strikes; -1) - END=4

Powers Total: 122

Cost Martial Arts
3 Defensive Throw: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +1 DCV, Block, Target Falls
5 Flying Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +4 DCV, Dodge All Attacks, Abort; FMove
4 Martial Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort
4 Martial Escape: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 30 STR vs. Grabs

Martial Arts Total: 16

Cost Skills
0 Language: English (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)
11 Computer Programming 17-
11 Systems Operation 17-
11 Security Systems 17-
11 Combat Driving 17-
11 Persuasion 17-
11 Charm 17-
11 Concealment 17-
11 Streetwise 17-
11 Electronics 17-

Skills Total: 99

Cost Perks
3 Anonymity
2 Contact (Contact has useful Skills or resources) 8-
5 Money: Well Off

Perks Total: 10

Cost Talents
3 Lightsleep
3 Lightning Calculator
5 Eidetic Memory

Talents Total: 11

Value Complications
15 Social Complication: Secret Identity - James Sampson Frequently, Major
20 Hunted: PRIMUS Infrequently (Mo Pow; NCI; Harshly Punish)
10 Psychological Complication: Kleptomania (Common; Moderate)
15 Hunted: Local Crime Bosses Frequently (Mo Pow; Limited Geographical Area; Harshly Punish)
15 Hunted: VIPER Frequently (Mo Pow; NCI; Watching)

Last edited: