What's new

ADV [djweish] Drillman

djweish

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
Now that the 72 hour challenge thread here: http://www.ulmf.org/bbs/showthread.php?t=26310 is over, I thought I may as well post the game I made for it in a seperate thread, to get any more feedback about bugs and so on that wouldn't be appropriate in a thread for several different games.

Now, I must admit, I cheated somewhat. I'm no good at art, so rather than commission it (expensive!) or draw it myself (awful MS Paint stick figures!) I've, um, stolen it. All the coding and writing was done from scratch, of course.

The game is basically Kaiki! Drill Otoko no Kyoufu/怪奇!ドリル男の恐怖: http://www.ulmf.org/bbs/showthread.php?t=368 but from the antagonist's point of view. Plus I wrote all the scenes and whatnot myself, so I guess really it's quite different...

Here's the original game on the vndb:

How to play:

First, general Ren'Py commands - there's a help button on the main menu to explain all of them. Right click takes you to the in game menu, holding Control puts the game into Skip mode, clicking on the screen advances text boxes, etc. It's all fairly self explanatory. I have disabled rollback, though, as it would probably mess with the coding.

For the game itself - you play Drillman, a monster guarding a haunted mansion. Your goal is to track down and capture three girls who've wandered inside. Inside rooms, you can click on some objects to search for the girls. (Only places they might conceivably fit, of course - under beds, in wardrobes, etc). You can also click the Move button in the top left to go to the map screen. To move around the map screen, just click where you want to go - but you can only move to an adjacent room or section of corridor, of course. The front door is locked, and cannot be moved out of, though the back door can be moved through. To move upstairs, you first have to move to the Hall, then click the Move button, then click on the staircase.

The girls have different responses to you tracking them. They might hurl a weapon at you to escape (each weapon is single use, so you can make them use them all up), and they can also hide. Their clothes represent their health. If you catch them, you'll tear the clothes up a bit - once they are fully naked, you'll be able to capture them properly and remove them from the mansion. There are extra sets of clothes hidden around the mansion, though - if their clothes are getting too torn, they'll seek out a fresh set! Of course, the number of other sets of clothes is limited.

The girls are aiming to break the curse on the mansion by finding four talismans. Each girl has her own set of four to find, and once any girl has a complete set you'll have failed your mission. So be quick! The girls won't enter a room you're in, so you could in theory try to camp out somewhere and stop them getting to a talisman - but you don't know where they're hidden either.

To help you, you have access to magic spells. You can scry the girls, letting you see their location on the map for a certain number of turns (usually, you can only see them if they're in an adjacent room and not hiding), You can call up a status screen to find how many talismans they have left to get. Or you can spend all your magic to send a girl through a portal for a certain one hit capture - but only whilst in combat with a girl.

Completing the game (to either ending) once will unlock the gallery from the main page; you can then zoom in on the pictures, but only after seeing them at least once in the game.

I haven't rigorously bug tested it, so there could well be a few bugs left. Let me know! (The gallery in particular hasn't been fully tested!) Also point out any typos; there's probably a few lurking away...

Oh, here's a lint, for people interested in that kind of thing:

"Statistics:

The game contains 861 dialogue blocks, containing 10,099 words and 54,077
characters, for an average of 11.7 words and 63 characters per block.

The game contains 3 menus, 275 images, and 40 screens."

And, finally, some download links!

Linux: (Ask if you need these uploaded)
Mac: (Ask if you need these uploaded)
Windows:

Last edited:

NoOneWasHere

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Re: Drillman

Love the idea, but this game makes me mad sometimes. Weapons are appearing out of nowhere and locations which are both searchable and a path to other location are sad. It is also sad, that every click counts as move. But the game is amazing. Also, a question - what do i do after all 3 girls are defeated?

Murgin

Reputation score

Well done. This game has always been one of my favorites. This was a fun spin on the original and it works just as good too.

But, when after downloading it Chrome marked it as malware. I've scanned it with my anti virus and it says its ok. I've played it too and nothing malware related has happened.

Still, thanks for giving me a chance to play an old favorite. :D

OP
D

djweish

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Well done. This game has always been one of my favorites. This was a fun spin on the original and it works just as good too.

But, when after downloading it Chrome marked it as malware. I've scanned it with my anti virus and it says its ok. I've played it too and nothing malware related has happened.

Still, thanks for giving me a chance to play an old favorite. :D
I think it's because Chrome has a new feature - every single .zip and .rar I've downloaded from Mega has been marked as "malicious" by them ever since they implemented an upgrade to their Safe Browsing thing, here:

Well, I guess if they just block all downloads we can't get anything bad. But still, seems kind of excessive. ;) Maybe the government made a shady backdoor deal with Chrome to try and put Kim Dotcom out of business.

Love the idea, but this game makes me mad sometimes. Weapons are appearing out of nowhere and locations which are both searchable and a path to other location are sad.
Heh, the starting weapons are fixed, so after a while you'll know where they are. Weapons in some rooms are actually useful, as they're the only way to catch the girls in those rooms - the dining room, terrace, games room and music room.

I wonder, has anyone managed to get a 100% gallery yet?

LostCause

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Great work

I love the original game, and this is surely bringing back the memory.

Btw, I don't know if it's just me but look like there are no sound in the game at all.

I have tried changing option and hitting test button still nothing happen.

NoOneWasHere

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Can you tell me some things about technical sides of the game? First, did you use only python or did you wrap around python around some other programming language? Was it easy for you to make game multiplatform(linux/windows/mac)? What programming IDE did you use?

Kaien

Demon Girl
Reputation score

There is a bug.
If you use the Summon Spell on Hazuki while she is wearing the PE Uniform, there will be an error and the game will go to a black screen.

OP
D

djweish

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

There is a bug.
If you use the Summon Spell on Hazuki while she is wearing the PE Uniform, there will be an error and the game will go to a black screen.
Ah, I made a typo in one of the variables. Here's a patch, that I think should work; download the attached script.rpy file, and use it to replace the script.rpy file in the game folder. (You might have to delete a script.rpyc file as well; keep backups in case this doesn't work...)

So, go into the game folder in the game's directory, delete script.rpy and script.rpyc, and paste in the attached script.rpy instead.

Note that this shouldn't affect the gallery unlocks, but it will remove any text you've already seen from Skip mode.

http://www.ulmf.org/bbs/attachment.php?attachmentid=18333&stc=1&d=1413752274

Can you tell me some things about technical sides of the game? First, did you use only python or did you wrap around python around some other programming language? Was it easy for you to make game multiplatform(linux/windows/mac)? What programming IDE did you use?
This is made in Ren'Py, here:

It uses Python to make Visual Novel and Dating Sim games (The Ren in the name comes from ). It's pretty easy to use; all the backend stuff like saves, volume options, skipping, menu code, etc. comes ready made, and you can add any python script (or pygame stuff) you like to it. It automatically builds distributions for Mac, Windows and Linux, as well as an option to build Android apps. If you open the script.rpy file in a text editor (Ren'Py defaults to using Editra) you can see the only programming I had to do. (As in, the whole of the script.rpy file is what I had to type, and nothing else).

Attachments

Vinceras

Formerly Havokor
Reputation score

Pretty nice edit. Game is pretty frustrating sometimes but that's the nature of the business with Drillman. The original was so much worse. lol

Nirakei

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

I wonder, has anyone managed to get a 100% gallery yet?
I managed it. Basic strategy, really, is that I try to eliminate a girl as soon as possible, getting the MP bar to full. Then make a safe in case the talismans are found. Then it's a matter of not getting your clocked cleaned by their amazing weapon accuracy. They search for new clothes as soon as you've damaged it at least twice.

The location based CGs are a fair bit tricky, because they have to hide in a specific section of a specific room. So herding them there only has a chance of success.

I think I struggled more with the original game, to be honest.

GuyKuro

Lurker
Reputation score
8. Do not needlessly bump or necro a thread if you are not requesting nor sharing new information.
Is an old topic. Does anyone know if the author published the game somewhere else. Unfortunately, the link is dead he has hir of his work published.

Last edited:

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Ich kenne altes Thema. übrigens hat jemand das spiel. der link ist leider tot.
I can't warn you for multiple infractions on the same post using the built-in warning system so consider this an official warning as well: 11. Keep discussion in English.

OP
D

djweish

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
Is an old topic. Does anyone know if the author published the game somewhere else. Unfortunately, the link is dead he has hir of his work published.
Here is an updated link.

mimic22

Reputation score
"The file you requested has been blocked for a violation of our . "

Damoriva

Cthulhu
Reputation score
Mediafire doesn't like ULMF at all. Don't click Mediafire links on this forum, instead copy/paste them into a new window.

OP
D

djweish

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
Yeah, it can tell if you just click the link through, but if you right click + copy then paste in a new window it should be fine.