What's new

Drawings from Sin

OP
Sin

Sin

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Re: Drawings from Sin

You should give a try to sketch some volumes, just rough ones.
How do I do that?

Create volumes.

That will also help you to get a bit more into proportions.
I hear lots of talk about proportions, isn't proportions just the shape, length, and whatnot, of a body piece, compared to another?
(Arms this long, legs that long, shoulders should be this wide, hips, etc.)

Vicissitudo

Sex Demon
Reputation score

How do I do that?

Create volumes.

I hear lots of talk about proportions, isn't proportions just the shape, length, and whatnot, of a body piece, compared to another?
(Arms this long, legs that long, shoulders should be this wide, hips, etc.)
Okay, the "rule" says a human adult body is approximately 7 x Head + Heck / Feet + the Head.

If you want to see that, also related to volumes, try to check Burne Hogarth.
Hogarth used to be an oldschool comic artits with very strict drawing rules.
Actually, don't take him too strictly because he tended focus on body perfection a bit too much, in my opinion. But is a great teaching.

The greatest thing you could do is to buy a wood puppet and use it as a reference. These are very flexible and simulate accurately the human body.
Placing it in the desired position and use it as a guideline to draw the "puppet" and volumes around it it was, at least for me, the very basic.
I have one on my desk for this purpose.

As I told you I'm a beginner too so take my words with some criticism because I might not be completely accurate and, moreover, that's just my personal point of view.

LustFire

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

What Vic meant with volumes is, I think, profiling each body part as an appropriate geometrical shape. Imagining the linear 3D Shapes within the art canvas helps with foreshortening, also depths of field if you're going to work with environments as well. This also helps prevent the "flatness" of an image, as Vic has criticized the sketch for, but this takes multiple practice. You might even have trouble balancing the expression of your foreshortening, but I encourage bold experimentation.

As I relate foreshortening with proportions, obviously you cannot rely on standard measures, such as using a ruler, especially if you're going to use camera angle logic. So, "getting more into proportions" is a long, collective process.

My personal comments:
- Careful about the thinness of the arms vs the legs (unless you got a certain style going on). My rule with that is no more than 2 or 3 times the size of the arm for the legs.
- Shin area is a little short.

Last edited:
OP
Sin

Sin

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Okay, the "rule" says a human adult body is approximately 7 x Head + Heck / Feet + the Head.

If you want to see that, also related to volumes, try to check Burne Hogarth.
Hogarth used to be an oldschool comic artits with very strict drawing rules.
Actually, don't take him too strictly because he tended focus on body perfection a bit too much, in my opinion. But is a great teaching.

The greatest thing you could do is to buy a wood puppet and use it as a reference. These are very flexible and simulate accurately the human body.
Placing it in the desired position and use it as a guideline to draw the "puppet" and volumes around it it was, at least for me, the very basic.
I have one on my desk for this purpose.

As I told you I'm a beginner too so take my words with some criticism because I might not be completely accurate and, moreover, that's just my personal point of view.
I understand what you mean, it is what I thought. I try to stay true to proportions, but I find they are usually different on a person by person basis, they all have the same parts, but lengths and whatnot can differ, imo.

-I will look more into what you've said though, thanks.

What Vic meant with volumes is, I think, profiling each body part as an appropriate geometrical shape. Imagining the linear 3D Shapes within the art canvas helps with foreshortening, also depths of field if you're going to work with environments as well. This also helps prevent the "flatness" of an image, as Vic has criticized the sketch for, but this takes multiple practice. You might even have trouble balancing the expression of your foreshortening, but I encourage bold experimentation.

As I relate foreshortening with proportions, obviously you cannot rely on standard measures, such as using a ruler, especially if you're going to use camera angle logic. So, "getting more into proportions" is a long, collective process.

My personal comments:
- Careful about the thinness of the arms vs the legs (unless you got a certain style going on). My rule with that is no more than 2 or 3 times the size of the arm for the legs.
- Shin area is a little short.
What iyo does it mean when something looks flat?

How might I make things not look flat?

Usually I'll just think of a pose in my head, and start to drawing, I correct thing's as I go. I'll usually start with a head and spine, then add shapes from there.

I try to show the shape or curve of thing's, I'll even look at pictures for reference.

Never heard of "Depths of Field" before, I'll have to look into it.

Thanks.

OP
Sin

Sin

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Looked more into foreshortening as well, I knew of the technique, but not what it was called.

So basically things that are further away, should seem smaller, than those that are closer, correct?
(Like her Right arm, breast, thigh, ankle, are further away, and should seem a little smaller, than the lefts, which are closer to us.)

justF0rfun

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Looked more into foreshortening as well, I knew of the technique, but not what it was called.

So basically things that are further away, should seem smaller, than those that are closer, correct?
(Like her Right arm, breast, thigh, ankle, are further away, and should seem a little smaller, than the lefts, which are closer to us.)
Yep basically its that. If you would look at a crowd, people in front of you are bigger than those in the background. Those thing applied to a body part too when it moeves away from your standing point or towards you. Think in a Box. Draw a Cube and say each side is 4 cm. If you were to draw all lines with a ruler and make each exactly 4cm the cube will look of. The lines going into the depth need to be shorter in order to make the cube look like one. Anyway drawing your Character "inside a box" can help with the dimensions expecially if you try to draw multiple person. The box should help on how much you need to shorten or lengthen things to keep the relation between perspective and proportion right.

And to the point on how to add volume to your drawings: add shadows.
Since most of your pictures are nudes you would need to focus mainly on shadows. If they would wear some clothes you can also add wrinkles on the clothes in addition to shadows. Anyway shadows might be hard to add too since you need to always keep in mind from where the light comes so you won't add shadows where there shouldn't be ones.

Anyway had no time over the weekend and still wanted to say something about the first picture you posted here as I still think there are few things wrong with her pose. I still trying to put it into words but basically I don't know what a pose you had envisioned. I might try to make a rough sketch on what I think you tried to make and what I think might be better if I get the time. Might also be a good excersie for me too.
Oh and for the new picture I think that her hand should be slightly turned if you wanted her to place the hand on the wall. The position of the wall in general seems to me off anyway. I were on my knees and bending forward I try to lean on the wall as to not fall. The way she is position to the wall would give her barely any way of putting her weight on it to keep her balance. IMO I think the wall should be placed in a 90 degree angle towards her.

OP
Sin

Sin

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Anything wrong with this picture, besides the obvious of course.

Do the hands, legs, hips, feet, shoulders look ok?​

Here's the unscanned version:

Last edited:

Vicissitudo

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Anything wrong with this picture, besides the obvious of course.

Do the hands, legs, hips, feet, shoulders look ok?​

Here's the unscanned version:
They surely look more proportioned than before. Perhaps she has a bit too skinny chest and too wide hips.

I have a question...how big are these draws? I might be wrong but I have the sensation these draws of yours are quite small.
If I may give you another advice, draw big. Use big sheets and do big artworks. That will help you to "untie" your hand and wrist and have a smoother sign.

Keep doing! I see you are doing progresses!

OP
Sin

Sin

Tentacle God
Reputation score

That figure is about 7 inches long.
;)

Someone suggested I change the ribs, and so I have.

justF0rfun

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

If she is so skinny that you can see the ribcage then I think the legs should be skinnier too. Also she should have a smaller waist and hips. Well if you can see bones it should be an indicator for not having much body fat and as a result you should be skinnier everywhere in general.

Otherwise I'd say add some nipples maybe and it should be fine for now

OP
Sin

Sin

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Studied Ribs a bit more, and I think these ribs are better, any opinions?

Vicissitudo

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Surely better. She looked too skinny before.

However, why don't you try to do some quick sketches?
Here I propose you a challenge: no eraser allowed.
Just draw down some quickies and don't care about keeping the lines clean.

Keep it up! :)

OP
Sin

Sin

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Some lines on action practice.

Vicissitudo

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Some lines on action practice.
I can see an improvement!
All you need to do is being patient and keep training yourself, you are in the right direction!

Crawdaddy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I like the butt/thigh closest to your finger on the left. :)

OP
Sin

Sin

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Got a new one, please tell me if it can be improved, I welcome all criticism.
;)

chrisroxxx

Cthulhu
Reputation score

Something I noticed by just glancing over it, the ass cheek on her left leg has to be placed well more like where her ass should be. Looks weird that her buttcheck is kinda hanging on the side of her leg, hehe!;)

Vicissitudo

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Got a new one, please tell me if it can be improved, I welcome all criticism.
;)

I see you are progressing.

Question, how do you move arms and legs when you run?
Usually arms and legs move on the opposite direction to balance the movements. You drew both right leg and arm backward while left arm and leg forward.

While you can make an exception for left arm, since she is supposed to keep it tense to aim while running, the other three limbs should follow the rule.

Otherwise the pose looks a bit innatural and feels like she's "flying".

Give also a look at skull proportions. Her head should be bigger and less "narrowed".

I'm sorry for all the criticism, I hope it doesn't bother you! I do because I'm expecting the same critics to my works too :)

chrisroxxx

Cthulhu
Reputation score

I see you are progressing.

Question, how do you move arms and legs when you run?
Usually arms and legs move on the opposite direction to balance the movements. You drew both right leg and arm backward while left arm and leg forward.

While you can make an exception for left arm, since she is supposed to keep it tense to aim while running, the other three limbs should follow the rule.

Otherwise the pose looks a bit innatural and feels like she's "flying".

Give also a look at skull proportions. Her head should be bigger and less "narrowed".

I'm sorry for all the criticism, I hope it doesn't bother you! I do because I'm expecting the same critics to my works too :)
Hmm, yeah proportions seem a bit odd, but then I thought maybe it was the intention to draw it comical.
About the pose I have to disagree, if you can show some muscle tension at the right places there is nothing unnatural about moving your left arm and left leg at the same time.