What's new

Heaven's a Lie (Aust Nailo)

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Irine Courland: HP = 81, PP = 51, EP = 52, Status = Fine

"Who goes there?" called a masculine voice from the walls of the town that Irine was approaching, and the figure of a man holding a rifle stepped out of a guard tower, lit up by the lantern hanging from a wooden post. Night had fallen some hours ago, leaving the forests beside the paved road over which she flew awash in pure darkness. The weather was clear and had been since she had left the jungle behind earlier that day, but her clothes were still slightly damp, and her cloths and feet were caked with mud. The forests in this land were less dense, and filled with less cloying humidity, but the temperature had steadily dropped as she headed West, into the land of Badaria. The Amazon had certainly seen better days, and though the people there were fairly accepting of her despite her nonhuman (or elven) heritage, they were also now few and far between. After passing through a quartet of abandoned villages, Irine had elected to head West simply because there might be someone there, or perhaps an answer to why so many places were empty beyond that some invader or monster had come and taken all of them in the night.

The man, apparently a human, trained his rifle out into the sky, but not directly at her. It wasn't immediately obvious that he'd heard something, but he was clearly frightened and had his finger on the trigger. She'd spotted the town earlier that day from the air, but hadn't managed to reach it until now. It was inhabited, at least, but whether or not those inhabitants were friendly remained to be seen.

Aust_Nailo

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Re: Heaven's a Lie (Aust Nailo)

The day's flight had long since worn out the traveling priestess and she was only praying that the day would end as quietly as it began. Her journey west was not what you would call an easy one, but it was one she felt she had to take. Something was telling her that this land needed help and it was her job to help it. The small town she was approaching seemed like a fine place to stop for the evening, maybe rest for a day or two. What little money she possessed would be used to procure more food and supplies to help her on the next leg of her sacred journey. "Perhaps the people will open their souls to my healing words" She said to herself as she got closer to the small town.

Her arrival however was not the one she was expecting however. Her strong eyes caught a vision of an armed man, his weapon trained at the sky around the harpy priestess. The man obviously sounded nervous and she knew one wrong word would result in a bullet going right through her gut. Lowering her decent to the ground, the priestess finally spoke up. "Sir, I mean you no harm. I am but a humble priestess seeking shelter for the night and I was hoping your town would provide it." She stayed in the air, hovering but a few inches from the ground. In the event the man was welcoming, she'd be able to land easier. But if the event took a turn for the worse, she'd be able to flee quickly.

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Irine Courland: HP = 24/81, PP = 51, EP = 52, Status = Badly Wounded

Rolls
Perception: Enemy wins.
Attack: Automatic Hit.
Damage: 10 + 8 + 13 = 31 * 2 = 62 - 5 = 57 damage. Her armor takes 21 damage, leaving it at 9/30 TP.

Attack: Hit.
Damage: 3 + 8 + 3 + 8 = 22 damage on the monster attacking her.

The man blinked in surprise at the sound of Irine's voice, and trained his gun onto her as she descended towards the ground. "What are ye doing!? Are you mad! Get off the ground!" the guard shouted at her, but before Irine could take off into the safety of the sky, something heavy and fury slammed into her back. She was born to the ground, jaws clamping over the back of her neck as claws tore at her wings and back. Pain shot through her as her flesh was torn, blood pouring freely into the warm maw of the beast on her back, but before the creature could land a finishing blow, a loud bang sounded out. A yelp of pain later Irine was released, the creature that had attacked her recoiling away and retreating into the cover of the bushes before she could catch much of a look at it, though a trail of blood followed it. "Curses... Open the door! Get her inside before more of them show up!" the guardsman called, and a door opened in the gateway, two more men coming out and lifting Irine to her feet quickly if she hadn't gotten back up on her own already.

Aust_Nailo

Tentacle God
Reputation score

The mans sudden yelling caught the young priest off guard. "Get off the...? What do you mean? I'm not on the..." Before she could finish her statement a large, furry thing decided to blindside the priestess. She let out a yell in surprise as that happened which then progressed to a series of screams as the beast began clawing at the poor girl. As the beast sunk it's teeth into her, the once calm and quiet priestess was replaced by a frantic, yelling figure, terrified about the prospect of what may happen. Pain shot all through her as her back and wings were nearly shredded to pieces by whatever decided to make a meal out of her. Before death could claim her however, the guard intervened and drove the beast away. The color was fading from her skin as the blood pooled around her and it continued to flow very slowly as she was hoisted up by some of the men's companions. She was barely able to take a step before falling to her knees. The men picked her up again and rushed her into the city. Not sure what to think, the girl spoke up, in an effort to answer a burning question.

"Just...Just what in gods name...was that things? Her voice was weak, barely audible to the men assisting her. She was losing consciousness fast and could only pray that she would be able to make it through the night. Her work was far from done.

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Irine Courland: HP = 24/81, PP = 51, EP = 52, Status = Badly Wounded

The two guards did indeed drag Irine into the city, handling the wounded harpy somewhat gingerly due to her wounds, and soon enough there was a closed and locked door set into a firm wall between her and the beast that had savaged her. "That's it... You'll be alright lady...." one of them whispered sympathetically to her, and once they were inside she was dragged into a small hut. "Healer! Get Jenna in here!" the guard that had tried to comfort her called loudly, and Irine heard more people coming from deeper within the town that she had only caught a glance of as she was carried inside. The first to reach the small hut next to the gate was the guard from atop the tower, however, who practically shouted into her face the very moment that he found his way into the small room, "Are you alright? Heavens that was a scare! What'd you go and land for? Are you nuts!?"

The silent guard glared at him as he examined Irine's injuries, but a moment later two more people entered, one an old man and the other a young woman. All of them so far had been human, olivine or tan in complexion and dark of hair save for the old man who was greying, but only then did Irine notice that each of them had scars visible on their bodies, often on their face and neck but universally on their hands and arms. The girl was probably the worst of them, possessing a scar running all the way around her face and several more on her right cheek, but she smiled pleasantly at Irine anyway and knelt beside the cot that she'd been placed on. "How badly are you hurt? Can you move?" she asked, her voice melodic in a manner that was meant to be pacifying but still sharp enough to demand attention. "They usually don't come this close to the walls... That must have been an omega that was cast out, or maybe a scout sent to test us."

The old man, meanwhile, turned to the guard that had been on the tower and shouted; "What in the seven hells are you doing down here Heinrich? Get back up on watch!" The guard glanced once at Irine before leaving, his head down, and then the old man turned to her while the other two guards and the girl examined her injuries, the latter eventually pulling a small kit from beneath the cot and opening it, pulling out a stitching kit, some medicine in a small glass vial, and some bandages. "Sorry for the less than stellar welcome stranger," the old man said grimly as he turned to her. "And forgive me for looking to my own concerns first, but... You wouldn't happen to be an angel come to save us from those beasts, would you?" It was impossible to miss the hints of desperate hope in his voice, nor in his look, which was mirrored on the two guards.

Aust_Nailo

Tentacle God
Reputation score

The transition from outside the town to the hut was nothing more then a blur to Irine, the shock of the initial attack still sinking in. However, that blur was broken when voices started to barrage her with questions.The first voice seemed rather loud and abrasive, almost like it was demanding some sort of answer The second voice seemed much softer and kinder but was still somewhat sharp for the injured harpy. At the moment, it all blended together for her as she slipped in and out of consciousness. Seems she was going to be the center of attention for something other than her preaching and words of comfort.

With what little strength she still possessed, she attempted to address the assembled crowed as best she could. "I've...been flying all day and...and I was hoping to rest. I didn't think I'd anger anyone with my presence." Her breathing was becoming heavy, which made her responses somewhat fractured at best. The gentler voice seemed more eager to address the harpies injuries and was her next focus of attention.

"My back...and wings are in a great deal of pain. And my neck is pained as well. That...thing...took it's jaws right to me. And I'm afraid to say I am having great difficulty moving. Can't seem to take one step without feeling weak. Whatever it was...it saw me as easy pray.

A final voice sounded in her ear, a voice which seemed very tired sounding, meaning it must be coming from an older figure. This man seemed apologetic at first, but was just as inquisitive as the others. "I'm use...to sour welcomes...in other towns. But nothing like this. A stone or two thrown my way...but never a mauling." The final question stung her the most, as it would be the first time in a long time that she had to disappoint someone. "I'm sorry to say...but I am no angel. I am just a harpy. I am...a messenger of the gods. Wandering the lands in an effort to aid people in this troubled time. However...if I was not injured...I could aid you in some capacity."

The harpy points to the pack that she was carrying on her back when she arrived. It had been knocked aside during the attack and retrieved by one of the guards before closing the gate. On the pack, the people could see a pair of distinct looking rifles and a halberd. "Those...are my weapons. The tools I use...to aid those in need." Her voice faded at that point, with the girl finally passing out due to her injuries.

Last edited:
OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

The old man nodded grimly, but what he said next drifted in one ear and out the other as Irine blacked out from the pain. What followed was a period of rest in which she felt nothing, heard nothing, and saw nothing, and then.... Then she awoke in a soft bed, lying on her belly with her wings and her back bound up in bandages. She was alone, and it hurt to move anything, but she was alive and everything was still attached. That was always good news. The room that she was in was small but not cramped, and was decorated enough that it looked as if someone had once lived in here, but offered no clues as to who that person might be. There were two windows, and sunlight streamed into the room through a set of fairly nice curtains. She was alone, but human voices and laughter could be heard both through the windows and through the wooden door on the side of the room opposite one of the windows.

Aust_Nailo

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Irine stirred from her slumber, face buried deep within a rather soft pillow. The lingering memory of the previous night still floated around in her head. She tried her best to forget, but the bandages covering her back were a reminder of what had transpired. The harpy sat herself up on the bed, pain shooting up her back the whole time. Once she was fully up, the pain slowly died down. "Gods above, that beast did some damage. I can't imagine what might have happened if that guard hadn't saved me." Irine tried not to let these "what ifs" consume her morning as she stood up from the bed, pain hitting her the whole time.

Finishing that rather grim train of though, Irine looked at her surroundings. Seems odd that the humans would just give her a place to sleep instead of just leaving her in the hut from the night before. Regardless of their reason, she was just glad they were being so accommodating. They seemed like good enough people and she could trust them. Irine paced around the room for a second, enjoying the warm morning sun on her skin. She normally would enjoy such a relaxing feeling for longer, but she felt it would be best to not waste any more time this morning. She had some questions and she needed answers. Preferably from someone in charge. She also wanted to thank the healers from the night before. She owed those people her life most of all. And once she accomplished all that, she hoped to go back to work, preaching the good word of the gods to these fine people. Injury or not, she had work to do and little time to do it. She dug into her pack and pulled out her preaching attire, a long flowing dark green robe and a cloak, and dressed herself. The clothing was modified to allow her wings through, letting her stretch them easily. Least she could do is greet her saviors in appropriate attire. That and her armor was almost completely ruined. She'd have to do something about fixing it while she was here.

The harpy exited her temporary home, her eyes adjusting to the morning sun. Her usually brisk pace was slowed due to her injury, but she made her way into the town proper, greeting towns folk as she passed. She noticed each of the townsfolk had scars similar to her saviors from last night. Just what was going on in this town? Those things must have been around for longer then she could guess. She spoke to one of the guards near the gate, a different man from last night, and asked if she could see whoever was in charge in the town. Too many questions still lingered in the priestesses mind.

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Though unable to stretch her wings properly when they were covered in bandages, Irine managed to don her clerical vestments without much trouble so long as she moved gingerly, having found her things over in a corner. Upon stepping out of her room, however, Irine found herself in a narrow hallway that led out into a kitchen with a table in the center, relatively small but definitely not poor. In that kitchen was the woman that had been called to tend to her wounds the previous night, smiling as she tended to a young boy's scraped knee. The child was wincing as she applied something out of a bottle that somehow seemed able to spray out its contents through a metal contraption at the top, and she applied a small grey bandage before shooing the boy outside. As he headed for the door, Irine noted the scars on the back of his legs, his left having been apparently clawed by some beast while his right looked as if some beast had bitten a chunk out of it, and the flesh was still in the process of restoring itself.

Only then did her host notice her presence in the room, as she opened her mouth in surprise and then cried; "You shouldn't be out of bed yet miss! Your wings haven't fully healed, and I've no idea how long it'll be before they can be moved again!" She calmed herself quickly from her aghast state, and without any prodding from Irine either, and a moment later she smiled and spoke in the same melodic tone that Irine remembered from the previous night; "I don't believe you ever said your name last night, though you did state your purpose here. We could use a good deal more than a messenger of the gods here in Helgasdale, with how things are these days. Have you been traveling long? Does anybody know about what's going on here?" The woman frowned with concern, emphasizing the scars marring her otherwise pretty face.

Aust_Nailo

Tentacle God
Reputation score

In her rush to be up and about once again, Irine failed to notice the company that was present in the abode. The healer from the night before was rather hard at work as always. Seemed this woman was very dedicated to her work, much like Irine was. As the boy was leaving, Irine could not help but notice the variety of wounds. Was every person in his town afflicted with these injuries? Not even children were protected from these...things. Whatever they may be, they seem to hold no prejudice for age whatsoever. A fact that greatly concerned the harpy. These questions and more hung on her lips but the scolding of the woman interrupted her.

I'll...I'll be fine. No need to worry about me. Irine tried her best to put on a strong face for the woman, knowing if she showed any sort of pain, she'd be sent right back to bed, preventing her from getting any sort of answers. The woman had chosen to move on to more formalities, doing her best to move away from the previous conversation. My last name? Well, I didn't think it was that important. My full name is Irine Courland. I was a student of a traveling preacher with the same name. Normally, yes, I would be but a simple messenger of the gods but if you noticed on my pack, I had some weapons. In addition to providing soothing words, I also give protection to the gods children if they so need it." Irine was surprised the woman didn't remember that from the night before, but she was not one to get hung up on these things. She just kept talking. "I have traveled a considerable ways since my teachers timely death. But I spent my time mostly in the east. This is the farthest west I have traveled in a great while. And in all that time I have never heard of any of this."

Irine did not want to make their plight feel miniscule but that was the truth. How the woman responded she could only guess. She really did want to help these people, but their silence was not making it easy for the harpy to make a decision.

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

"Ahhhh, so you weren't just babbling last night!" the healer replied when Irine once more explained her purpose. She frowned darkly when Irine claimed to know nothing of her home's plight, but nodded solemnly and said; "I... Can't say that I'm surprised. We're fairly isolated out here, and with the fall of both the Empire and our neighbors to the East to the greys... I don't know how much luck you'll have with your preaching here, friend. After these last few months... Well, we're running a little bit short on faith these days."

The woman sighed softly, and gave a shake of her head as she stared at the ground for a moment before raising her attention back up to Irine. "My name is Jenna, Jenna Greene. I would say that it's good to meet you, but.... The circumstances under which we meet would make it something of a lie after what happened to you at the gate. I guess I ought to explain what's happening here, in case you end up outside the walls again.

"There was a woman that lived near our town, up in the hills.... A witch. She was put up with for years... Decades even, but... One day, a child disappeared. At first, we thought that she'd just been lost in the woods, but then, after a long search, we found her... She'd been taken by the witch, and killed for some dark ritual. So... The town got together and tracked her down. We made her pay for her evil, but... Her dying words were a curse upon us. She said that, for our crimes against her, we would suffer her curse... That nature itself, from the earth beneath our feet to the beasts of the wilds, would be our bane. We didn't put much stock into it at the time, but apparently she had the power to back it up, as we've been plagued by animal attacks ever since. It didn't start this bad of course, but... By the time we'd gotten a wall up to keep the animals out, we'd lost more than twenty people to the random attacks. We haven't been able to get to our crops, and if this isn't solved soon.... Well, lets just say that the beasts won't have to get over the walls to see us all dead come winter's end."

Aust_Nailo

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Irine was surprised at the woman's sudden outburst. Then again, Irine was not use to a lot of things, having sunk much of her short life into her work and weapons training over social interactions. Her only friend was her teacher and he was not the most lively of conversationalist. The tone of the conversation however quickly turned more and more dour as the woman spoke of the fate of the town and Irine just listened as best she could. It seemed theses people were suffering greatly and far greater then she had originally suspected. To earn the hate of a magical entity was bad enough, but to have said being curse you in such a way was even more horrendous. To have nature itself and all the animals within turn against you is something that the young harpy wouldn't even begin to understand. Every beast within the woods a mortal enemy? This witch must have had some strong connections to the spirits or some unholy power to create such a curse. Either way, it was clear these people needed her help. She may be one person, but with the gods protection, she'd be able to beat this. Once she was certain the woman was finished. Irine finally spoke up.

"I do apologize if I wasn't clear last night. The pain of the injury didn't allow me to articulate for more then a few seconds at a time."
She closed her eyes and let out a heavy sigh, the occasional twinge of pain shooting through her back. "Miss Jenna, I do apologize for being ignorant of your plight. News in this world travels very slow and if I had heard of this earlier, I would have come to your aid sooner. I consider it my job to defend those who can't defend themselves and restore the faith of those people. Let them know the gods do see their plight and that I, their humble messenger, will deliver them back to their good graces." Her voice was filled with such strong conviction and strength, that one could suspect that the harpy had made a similar speech before or had at least heard it from another source.

"Miss Jenna, I thank you so much for all the aid you and your people have provided me. Despite the fact that you are in great peril, you aided a traveler in need. And such a selfless act demands repayment." The harpy knew she was going to be getting in over her head, but she had to do something. "If you would allow me...I would like to help your people in any capacity. Rid you of this vile curse. I may be a simple priestess, but I can find a way."

She must have sounded absolutely insane, but the conviction was still present in her voice, meaning she was serious about helping these people. She had to be a symbol of hope for these people.

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Jenna smiled gently in response to Irine's speech, causing the scars on her face to stretch, "Don't fret over not knowing... We haven't been able to send anyone out to tell anyone what's happening. I don't know what you can do... We've felt like the gods have abandoned us ever since this started, but far be it for me to tell you not to try. Don't feel as if you need to repay us, it's not like we could have just left you to die. Just be careful while you're moving about, or you'll upset your wounds." Despite her words, the healer's eyes looked a little bit brighter, and her posture had marginally improved following Irine's words. "I can get you someone to show you around if you want. You won't be going anywhere in the near future, not until your wings heal up."

Aust_Nailo

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Irine's eyebrow perked up, surprised at how casual she was being about the situation. But Irine really was not in a position to judge these people. They've endured more pain then she has and the marks showed on each and every one of them. Irine however, could not just leave these people to their fate. Irine has been saved by these people and she at least wanted a chance to help them in some capacity. "I insist, Miss Jenna. It has always been a policy of mine to repay those who aid me. From paying back a borrowed loaf of bread to giving my life in the service of those who saved mine. It's the least I can do!"

Irine raised her voice in that last bit, almost pleading with Jenna at this point. The harpy was not one to leave debts unpaid and now was no different. However after her little outburst, she calmed down a good deal, trying not to sound too demanding. After all, she was still a guest and she wasn't necessarily human. Irine wasn't sure if these people would be comfortable with a harpy making demands. They may toss her out the moment her wings get better and force her to fly off to parts unknown. She closed her eyes for a brief moment, and let out a deep sigh. "I apologize for my outburst. It might be due to my injury but I feel so helpless right now. Maybe getting out and stretching my legs will help calm me down. You said you could get someone to escort me around town? If you could I would appreciate it a good deal. It would give my wings a chance to heal as well. Would you perhaps allow me to visit a leader of some kind? A mayor or village elder perhaps? I don't want to impose, but it would help the situation greatly, in my eyes.

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Jenna winced slightly at Irine's insistence, and spoke in a quiet, somber tone as she said; "I.. I would prefer that you try to prevent that. I won't try to turn away aid, not when we need it so sorely, but... There has been too much death here already.... Too many people with scars that won't ever heal. Truth be told, I'm surprised you'd offer. The Empire is... Not kind to those that aren't human. There was some mutterings here that we ought to have left you to the beasts. I don't mean to frighten, just to warn you that not all here... Not all of us are as open minded as I am, or Elder Macum."

The human healer let out a thin smile at Irine's apology, and tilted her head in acceptance as she replied; "No need to apologize miss. Truly, it's touching that you care so much, and are willing to risk so much for us. I can get one of the boys to show you around, they'll like that. I don't know whether you'll be able to see Elder Macum, he's the old man that you met last night, but it won't hurt to try!" She strode over to the door into her modest abode and stepped out into the daylight, allowing a chill autumn breeze to flit in, colder by far than what Irine was used to in the jungle. "Boys! Can one of you come over here! I've a chore for you!" she called, and then she turned about and said; "It'll be just a minute."

Sure enough, there came a knock at the door less than a minute later, and Jenna opened the door again. She suppressed it well, but Irine didn't miss her wince as she gazed down at someone in the door. "Sam... I thought you were playing?" she asked gently, and the voice of a young boy answered her excitedly; "I was, but you said you had a chore! I can do it! And... I drew the short straw this time, so I gotta! I promised, and my momma said that I should never break a promise." Jenna smiled gently down at the speaker, the barest corners of her expression visible to the harpy priestess as she stood waiting in the room. "I know, and your momma was right to say that Sam... Are you sure that one of the other boys can't do it?" The boy immediately responded in a tone that was edging towards whining, as only children could; "I can do it! I'll do a real good job, I promise!"

Jenna visibly hesitated for a moment, her unhappiness with the choice of guides clear to Irine but likely invisible to the young boy to whom she spoke, who was still unrevealed to Irine. "Alright Sam... I just need you to show miss Irine here around, okay? She's the lady that we brought in last night, the one with the feathers that your daddy talked about. You just gotta show her around town, introduce her to people, and take her to Elder Macum when you're done. Can you do that?" Jenna explained quickly, and the boy sounded quite excited as he replied; "Yeah! Yeah I can do that!"

The healer stepped back from the doorway, and there, standing in the framed by the light coming in through the door, was perhaps the most mangled child that Irine had ever seen. Fresh scar tissue covered the left half of his face, and a leather patch was tied by a string around his head over what was presumably an empty socket. The scars ran down his neck, where there were wounds on either side that looked as if something had nearly ripped out the boy's throat, and disappeared into his shirt. His right arm was gone at the elbow, the sleeve of his shirt folded back to reveal a stump of half-healed flesh sticking out. The boy stood with a noticeable limp, favoring his right side significantly, but his trousers hid whatever wound might be causing that.

"Irine... This is Samuel Ekthelian, son of the captain of the guards. He'll be showing you around town," Jenna said softly, and Samuel gazed up at Irine with a boyish grin, barely standing above three feet as he was. "Hi! You can call me Sam, all my friends do!" he said as he walked up to her, and held out his hand for her to shake, "I know my way around real well! I can show you anybody or anything!"

Last edited:

Aust_Nailo

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Jenna's words rang in Irine's ear, bringing her down from her lofty ambitions. These people did need help and she was the only one to offer it, but she was in no state to fight. Without her wings, she'd be vulnerable to attack from nearly every angle. Taking flight in combat has saved her life many times in the past and if the beasts of the woods were as vicious as the one that mauled her, she would need every advantage she could get. Her train of thought was diverted however when Jenna revealed how close she came to being left for dead. To be honest, she was not really surprised. Her journey had led her to many cities and towns that were rather hostile to her brand of preaching, leading her to be chased out with either harsh words or physical violence. She'd been hit by her fair share of sticks, rocks and other debris. Heck, one elderly man had the audacity to shoot at her. Several times. Not the happiest experience of her life. But the gods brought forth these hardships to test their children and Irene was no different. If anything, they had to test the priestess extra hard to test her devotion.

"It was just how I was raised, Miss Jenna. My adoptive father always did the same, and I just picked up on his good nature. And even if I can't see the elder, just being able to meet the people of this fine town will be a welcome opportunity." Irine fell silent as Jenna went to her door and called for one of the village boys to help her around the town. The quick response and the eagerness of the mysterious figure to help almost came as no surprise to the priestess. This woman had a very kind heart and gentle nature, which must have given her a good reputation in the town. The voice she was hearing was enthusiastic and despite Jenna's insistence, the voice would not be deterred.

She continued listening to the conversation from her spot, even going so far as to chuckle a little when she was refereed to as "the one with the feathers". Of all the things she'd been called in her life, that had to be the nicest. The conversation finally wound down and Miss Jenna stepped aside, revealing the mystery voice to the young harpy. What she saw had to be the most shocking thing she had ever seen in all of her days. The boy seemed more patchwork then human, with more stitches and scars then she could count or even see. The missing limb and eye were the most noticeable to Irine, who was amazed that the child retained his energy and good attitude. This boy was a survivor and he had enough life to spare.

Jenna finally introduced the boy to Irine, with the boy adding his own two cents into the introduction. Irine smiled for the boy, her gaze never leaving the boys face. "It's an honor to meet you, Sam. My name is Irine and I'm a wandering priestess. I would appreciate it if you showed me around your wonderful little town."

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

"Cool!" Sam replied after Irine explained her purpose, "You know the gods!? That's amazing! We had a priest here once, but he got eaten by wolves." Jenna looked slightly mortified by the boy's statement, and hurriedly said; "Sam... Why don't you start showing miss Irine around? You can point things out to her while you're showing her stuff!" Sam smiled brightly and grabbed Irine's hand, "Okay! I can do that!" he said quickly as he limped towards the door, dragging the wounded harpy priestess with him. "Be careful with your wings, and don't try to move too quickly... You have a place to stay for the night here, at least until your wings are here!" the healer said quickly, giving Irine only a few seconds to offer her goodbyes before Sam had pulled her through the door, displaying surprising strength for a boy so badly mauled.

"I'm gonna show you the well, and my uncle's store, and my aunt's brewery, and my dad's office, and the shrine, and the park, and the old temple!" the young cripple announced excitedly, and for a moment he seemed torn on where to go first. Several people, including the majority of a group of scarred children, were now eyeing Irine as Sam seemed to be deliberating on where to take her first. Some of the stares were merely curious, particularly from the children, but a few of the adults looked at her with open distaste in varying levels. The priestess had a moment in which she might be able to influence Sam's decision, as he would decide all on his own otherwise.

Aust_Nailo

Tentacle God
Reputation score

At first, Irine was humbled by the boys statements about her speaking to the gods. Sure she prayed to them quite frequently and spoke for them, but she never really spoke to them. However, she would not ruin the boys image with her words. This feeling however was replaced by genuine shock when she mentioned the fate of the towns previous priest. Such a grisly fate for a servant of the gods. She had little time to dwell on those thoughts however as she was dragged roughly out the door, Jenna calling at the pair as she was dragged off. Irine could only yell back one thing as that happened. "I will Miss Jenna! And thank you!" The boy certainly seemed strong, given his condition, a further testament to his resolve to live. The gods certainly made this boy out of something special.

No sooner had they left, did Sam begin rattling off a myriad of locations to visit and explore. Irine noticed many of the location were owned by a relative of the boys, which came as no surprise to the harpy. In a town such as this, family always seemed like it would be close at hand. Should Irine ever decide to settle down, she'd love to be in a place such as this, minus the horrible curse. Her happy thoughts however were derailed however as she looked at the towns people around her. Sure enough, the children of the town seemed curious about the mysterious winged lady that just arrived in town. Again, this was a feeling she was use to, especially in the human settlements. She was always viewed as an oddity of sorts. The looks of distaste however were much stronger then what she was use to. Jenna did mention that there were some in this town that did not approve of her being in their town and would rather have left her for dead and these looks now only amplified that. Whatever their reasons for disliking her, she didn't want to do anything to further upset them. She noticed the boys uncertainty in deciding on where to go and she decided to offer a suggestion so as to get the prying eyes away from her.

"W...Why not show me to the temple and shrine first and then your fathers office. I'd at least like to pay respects to the man who was once lead this fine flock and to whatever god that watched over you. And I'd like to thank the man who had a hand in saving my life." She knew those locations might seem a bit odd to the boy, who sounded like he had a grand trip planned, but Irine felt starting slow would do her some good. Stretch her legs, so to speak. Having made her suggestions, she could only wait and see how the boy reacted.

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

"Okay!" Sam said happily, and started limping down the street towards the East, moving around the edge of the park. If he thought her choice of destinations odd, the young crippled boy didn't say it, and he led her down the street before turning North. "That's the park! We can play in there as long as we want, except when we're stuck in old Nanny Mazza's house for lessons!" he exclaimed excitedly as he pointed towards the tiny cut-out of woodland that had been stuffed into the center of town. The other children were scurrying about among the trees, laughing, but Irine couldn't help but notice the scars on many of them... Or that there were far too few for a community of this size.

Leading her past the park, Sam pulled Irine down the street a short ways, past two more streets that intersected with the one they traveled. The few people that they passed eyed Irine more than her guide, giving her looks ranging from curiosity to reproach to hope, and the harpy priestess spotted a number of other injuries among them, some of them permanent and disfiguring. Arriving at a large cathedral erected in the classical gothic style of the Empire, an extremely rare sight for Irine given that she had largely preached in the regions of the Amazon. Gargoyles leered down at her, carved in the shapes of warrior angels and dragons, and the symbol of the Star God hung over the entrance.

This particular faith was rare in the Amazon, and given that its most basic tenets were strict, chaste, and patriarchal, that wasn't particularly surprising. It was also the only common faith that Irine had ever heard of that disavowed the worship of other deities, claiming that all other gods were false tricksters bent on stealing the souls of their worshipers. Despite this, it had claimed a great deal of popularity in the human-dominated Badarian Empire, though this popularity had never allowed it to spread to the more free-thinking kingdoms of the Amazon, and had most certainly not endeared it to the local tribes given that ancestor and spirit worship were vilified as pagan religions in the Star God's Church.

"Here's the temple!" Sam said, lacking its usual excitement for some reason. "My dad used to take me here, but no one's really been around here since Father Baker died."

Aust_Nailo

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Irine allowed herself to be guided by the boy towards the park, knowing she could say little to dampen his enthusiasm. Seeing the park and the children playing simply brought a smile to the gentle priestess. Much like Sam, the kids did not let their lives be ruined by their injuries and scars and they were able to enjoy life. She even let out a small giggle as the boy described the lessons they had to take. Of all the things to worry about in this day and age, the boy was only concerned with a lack of playtime. But what worried the harpy was the small number of children she had seen in her time here. In a town in such a desperate state of affairs, one would think the humans would go out of their way to produce more off spring. Counter the effects of those getting killed by the animals. She quickly brushed those thoughts away, as it was not her place to judge these people.

The trip through town continued, at the boys pace no less, to the intersection where she and her guide were met with the gazes of more towns folk. She was honestly afraid to meet the stares of any of these people, lest she be bombarded with either questions, insults, or pleads for assistance. Clearly her presence in the town could mean something to these people. Maybe she was brought to this town for a reason? Like the gods wanted her here.

At the very least, she'd be able to ask one of them soon enough. Her eyes met the glory that was the cathedral of the Star God. It had all the trappings she expected from a western Cathedral. Her teacher had read to her many times about the temples and cathedrals of the Empire, with their grand images and carvings. Given that her home had a much different view of religion, the Star God was something of an oddity to her. His basic tenants were very strict and the patriarchal nature of it's ministry meant that female preachers like herself were often viewed with some disgust. And their general intolerance towards other faiths was not new to Irine, but was something she disliked greatly. She was taught by a man who weighed all gods on the same level. No one was greater then the other and they must all be treated with the same respect and reverence. That would mean that the Star God held the exact same spot in her mind as her patron goddess, Notos. Some might see this as unusual, but in her profession, Irine could show no preference towards one pantheon or another.

Irine remained silent for a few seconds more as she scanned the last few towers of the church. The boys tone did soften somewhat when discussing church, something she wasn't all that surprised about. "Your father is a good man to bring you here, Sam. And even if Father Baker is gone, I'm sure he looks upon his flock with fondness. If you don't mind waiting a few moments, I'd like to offer a prayer to a fallen brother of the cloth. It will take just a moment." Wasting no time, she approached the large doors of the cathedral, slowly opening them to reveal the grand main hall before her. The alter of the church took center stage, as was normal in a cathedral of the Star God. Irine dusted off her robe and took several deep breaths before approaching the empty alter. She fell to her knees in front of the alter, folding her hands in prayer as she did. She finally closed her eyes and began speaking in a hushed tone.

"Honored Star God, hear my humble plea. Please bless the soul of the man who once tended this flock and guided them in your name. May he rest easy and may his flock persevere in his absence. May they be protected in their hour of greatest need and may you grant me the strength to aid these people in any way. In your name I pray." She concluded her prayer and simply remained silent for a few moments more, not moving from her position of prayer. Her teacher had taught her to always wait after a prayer to see if the gods responded. If they heard her prayer, they would say something back to her and offer their respective blessing. She knew this was normally impossible as few actually gained the privilege of speaking to a god directly. She eventually stood up from her kneeling position in front of the alter, and turned to leave, hoping she hadn't lost the boys interest with her boring detour.