What's new

Hotfile in trouble

squeaky_shoes

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
A federal court has ordered Hotfile to disclose user data, the identities and revenues of their top affiliates, and financial information on the company itself. District Court Judge Adalberto Jordan argued that the MPAA needs this info to prove that Hotfile is promoting and profiting from copyright infringement.

Firstly this means that Hotfile has to disclose details on all files ever uploaded to Hotfile, including the title, number of downloads and the IP-addresses of the uploaders and downloaders.

I know hotfile is used here a lot, I figured this warning would be sound.

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Hotfile in trouble

Who gives a shit? Hotfile is a terrible service and deserves any punishments the authorities might give it simply for being such a waste of space.

Guan Yu

GAUN
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

And most of the HF users here are the money-leeching dumpers anyways. Fuck them, and Hotfile too. Good riddance.

Now if they just got the same treatment applied to FileSonic and all the other weird filehosts those assholes use.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Don't forget oron ! Wait 2 goddamned hours after THEIR server drops the connection mid-download.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Ha, I'm fucked then.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

LOL at inforcing the DMCA. You know how many people they'd have to throw in jail because there's no fuckin way they can pay those fines? The prison system is overtaxed as it is. Not to mention it's a huge waste of taxpayer dollars (helloooooo national debt). Now sure they'll get filehosts and even some torrent sites shut down, but going after the individuals who download the pirated material isn't going to get them anything.

Though I don't know about SirOni, seeing as you aren't in the United States of Big Buisness.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

I doubt that would stop them trying to get to the non-US offenders.

Nanie

Lurker
Reputation score

*snip*
For now, however, it doesn’t appear that the movie studios are going to use any of the user data to pursue legal action against individual uploaders or downloaders who are not affiliates. In previous court filings the MPAA stated that Hotfile could mask the last digits of users’ IP-addresses as long as they would be able to determine the country of the user.
*snip*

Nah we're fine.