What's new

I wonder who takes down copy righted material from download sites

noman

Lurker
Reputation score
Somehow I find it difficult to imagine that the game developers or publishers will spend hours every day scouring all the popular forums to take down illegal uploads. But if not, who's reporting the materials then? Are there actually people who hate piracy so much that they would spend their own time reporting illegal uploads to the developers?

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Re: I wonder who takes down copy righted material from download sites

Somehow I find it difficult to imagine that the game developers or publishers will spend hours every day scouring all the popular forums to take down illegal uploads. But if not, who's reporting the materials then? Are there actually people who hate piracy so much that they would spend their own time reporting illegal uploads to the developers?
I would imagine the people that don't want to see the video games industry start to crumble downwards, and people who follow the law, and people who don't want illegal content on their websites, would all report these infractions.

OP
noman

noman

Lurker
Reputation score

I would imagine the people that don't want to see the video games industry start to crumble downwards, and people who follow the law, and people who don't want illegal content on their websites, would all report these infractions.
People who follow the law - what are they doing on sites with links to illegal downloads in the first place?

File hosting websites - with millions of files getting uploaded every single day, they are not going to check every single one.

So that leaves two groups of people I suppose, people who has a grudge against piracy, and as Riposte said, companies dedicated to sniffing things like these out. (Never knew about that.)

Lurker
Reputation score

A law-abiding person can exist on a forum like this one. We have no stated illegal intent, and tend to be good about going about things the right way. If such a person finds one of the instances where we got it wrong, rare as it is, they report it and it gets fixed.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

People who follow the law - what are they doing on sites with links to illegal downloads in the first place?
That's like saying that people wouldn't live in a city that has crime because they abide the law. It's very possible to get onto a site that has links to illegal content without being aware of it.