What's new

Legend of Zelda Party-Based RPG [NON-ERO]

Iggy

Tentacle God
Reputation score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intro:

In Hyrule Castle Town, the citizens wre preparing for the Celestial Festival, a celebration that occurs once every millenium or so celebrating the allignment of all the planets. This ancient festival is an occasion for everyone to put aside their differences and unite as one peacefully. However, as of late, there has been much unrest and many arguements between the inhabitants of Hyrule. This has put alot of stress on the Princess Zelda, on whom all of the responsibility for coordinating this festival falls upon. For once, she wishes that everyone could just get along; She wishes for just once, there could be peace in Hyrule.

Then, as if by fate, a mysterious stranger offers Zelda a gift for the occasion. It is a magical mask, but not just any mask, a mask that will grant one wish to the one who wears it. Normally, Zelda wouldn't do something as foolish as put on a strange mask and put her hope and faith into it, but at this point, she was willing to do anything. So she puts on her mask and cries out her wish to the darkness behind the mask. Her wish?; "I wish for all of Hyrule to pacefully unite together as one."

In response to her wish, Zelda feels a dark presence fill her body and a strange voice echo throughout her head, "What an ever-so-boring wish; why don't we have a little fun with it? Trust me, your wish will be granted in due time, but first, let us play."

What will become of Zelda after she is claimed by the darkness of the Majora's Mask.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I'm planning on making a Legend of Zelda RPG using RPG Maker VX where you can play multiple characters in a top-view full-party RPG. You will be able to play as a wide variety of characters. I'm very confident that I can do this, but the only problem I'm having at the moment is finding sprites.

Master_Bei_Shun

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Legend of Zelda Party-Based RPG [NON-ERO]

What era or in between will this Legend take place for one, how many and which types of sprites you need?

And why not a Pokemon RP? I could just hand you most of the sprites already...

OP
Iggy

Iggy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

What era or in between will this Legend take place for one, how many and which types of sprites you need?

And why not a Pokemon RP? I could just hand you most of the sprites already...
As for the era, it will take place some time after Majora's Mask, and I'd like to use sprites from Link to thePast, which would probably be the best detailed sprites I can use for a top-view RPG.

And as for why not Pokemon, because I want to do Legend of Zelda RPG.

UrineOnU

Cthulhu
Reputation score

So you need tile sets and character sets to work with rpgmaker vx right?

You'll need a script for multiple movement frames because "Link to the past" sprites running animation is 7 not the usual 3 vx uses. i don't know if the sequence works but i made a quick sprite sheet
but I'm not sure if it works on rpg maker vx because i don't have it on my computer anymore,I really would like to test it to see how it works, guess I'll re download rpgmaker vx and do some more testing.

OP
Iggy

Iggy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Well, currently, as much as I appreciat the Link sprites, they'll do no good if I can't make a map. I need map spritesheets...

UrineOnU

Cthulhu
Reputation score

Well, currently, as much as I appreciat the Link sprites, they'll do no good if I can't make a map. I need map spritesheets...
Yea that's a problem you'll have to make your own tile sets for the game and autotiles that snap, for water and grass and dirt and stuff... it's a lot of work especially when the size of almost everything needs to be enlarged to fit the constants of the default tile size for rpgmaker vx(basically resolution doesn't match example is that 4bushs=one square).

OP
Iggy

Iggy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Ill try it out later, but for now I need to work on some of the characters and a basic layout, which I think I've got down almost.

OP
Iggy

Iggy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I have a simplistic stat system for now. It still will need a bit of tweaking, but it kinda works for now...

Base Character Stats:
-Hearts (H)
-Power (P)
-Defense (D)
-Wisdom (N)
-Base Speed (B)

Derived Stats:
-Accuracy (A)
-Evasion (E)
-Weight (W)
-Speed (S)
-Magic Points (M)

W = (total carried weight) / (Undefined variable)

S = B - W

E = A - W

A = N x S

M = 10 x N

I'll probably like to develop an equation to determine a character's capacity to carry weight. And here's the base stats for characters I've developed so far:
  • Link:
    Hearts - 3
    Power - 2
    Defense - 2
    Wisdom - 2
    Speed - 2
  • Maple:
    Hearts - 3
    Power - 1
    Defense - 1
    Wisdom - 4
    Speed - 2
  • Deku:
    Hearts - 2
    Power - 1
    Defense - 1
    Wisdom - 2
    Speed - 4

Let me know if you guys have any serious questions.

Last edited:
OP
Iggy

Iggy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I have many plans for this game, but the one thing stopping me from making significant progress is my difficulty finding well-proportioned sprites that will work in either RPG Maker XP or VX. I have looked high and low for sprites from either LoZ Oracle of Seasons/Ages or Link to the past. I mean, what use are those sprites to anyone if they don't work in the RPG Makers?

Anyway, might as well post ideas, before I forget. This game will take place in Hyrule and I will be using the Twilight Princess system of dividing it into the few provinces, Faron, Lanayru, and Eldin (also Gerudo and Snowhead, but I consider those sub-provinces). This game would take place for sure after Majora's Mask, and will combine or mix together common themes of Zelda games. Also, I will be using my knowledge of geography to map out the game and maybe add a few new locations as well. One thing I plan to fix is Twilight Princess's placement of the Gerudo Desert RIGHT NEXT TO LAKE HYLIA! What the fuck was that?! That is not geographically possible! And DO NOT try to justify it by saying it works because it's high up on a cliff. It is fucking common knowledge that heat flows from hot to cold. Desert=hot, lake=cold. Before long, the lake and desert would reach thermal equilibrium and drastically affect the climate and geologic features. I'd rant some more, but I actually planned on posting a list of places I have planned for each area. Soon I will draw a map showing how they're all connected and somehow find a scanner or... *shudder*... do it in MSPaint. Anyway, here's te list of areas I've thought of.

Faron Province:
-Hyrule Field (Faron)
-Faron Woods
-Lost Woods
-Sacred Grove
-Deku Bog*
-<Need Ideas>**

Eldin Province:
-Hyrule Field (Eldin)
-Kakarikio Village
-Death Mountain
-Goron City
-The Underpass
-The Scrapyard
-Eldin Metalworks
-Gerudo Valley**
-Snowhead Mountain***

Lanayru Province:
-Hyrule Field (Lanayru)
-Lake Hylia
-Zora's Domain
-Zora River
-Deku Bog*
-Snowhead Mountain***

Gerudo Province:
-Gerudo Valley**
-Gerudo Desert
-Thieves' Fortress

*The Deku Bog will serve as a transition area between the Faron and Lanayru Provinces.
**Gerudo Valley will serve as a 3-way junction between the Faron, Eldin, and Gerudo Provinces. The transition between Faron and Eldin, however, is one-way (seeing as the transition is a river that flows from the mountains of Eldin a through the Gerudo Valley and down again into the unamed area I haven't thought of yet in the Faron Province).
***Snowhead is a transition point between the Eldin and Lanayru Provinces.

Currently, I need to think of more ideas for the Gerudo Province and the Lanayru Province and maybe some more ideas for the other two. Please let me know if you guys have any ideas or questions. Any input is appreciated. I appreciate all the help.

EDIT:

Meh, I might as well make some rough base stats for some of the other characters I plan on adding.

• Goron:
    Hearts - 4
    Power - 5
    Defense - 3
    Wisdom - 1
    Speed - 1
  • Zora:
    Hearts - 3
    Power - 2
    Defense - 1
    Wisdom - 2
    Speed - 3
  • Gerudo:
    Hearts - 3
    Power - 2
    Defense - 1
    Wisdom - 3
    Speed - 4

Last edited:

the_taken

King of the Impossible
Reputation score

Area suggestions:

Faron Province:
Kokiri Meadow: What's with all the Lolis?
Blah Orchard: A farm that provides Hyrule with many of it's (Deku Berries?)
Clocktown: Majora's last attempt at bringing down the apocalypse happened here.

Lanayru Province:
Hyrule Castle Town: You need this place somewhere. Actually a city, but everyone calls it a town.
Hyrule Castle: Just how big is this place? Even Zelda has gotten lost in one of its many gardens. And the grand ball room is absolutely massive!
Temple of Time: Not just where the Master Sword is kept, but there' catacombs beneath it as well.

Gerudo Province:
Haunted Wasteland: The desert isn't just a massive expanse of rolling dunes, there's also a rocky area that's said to be haunted by a army that got lost and died of dehydration.
Town Abandoned: A ghost town. Once a thriving mining town, now abandoned wooden shacks. Not even the moblins come here, so far away from just about everything.
Abandoned Mine: A mine now empty of whatever it was they were digging for. Did they really get everything?
Desert Colossus: The great Temple of Light that Gerudo visit. A Grand Statue of Din sitting on a Throne is carved out into the side of a cliff face, and within is a labyrinth built to house the previous dead Gerudo Kings and their treasures.
Fairy Oasis: One of the ponds of water has a hive of fairies living among the foliage. Some say their magic keeps it moist all year. Others say a great fairy does it all herself, and the rest are just her children. And still many believe there's a natural spring driving water up from the water table. Who can be sure?
Flamingo Sea: This desert would make a great beach if there was an ocean next to it. Well there is! It's just really far away! Din help you if you don't bring lots of water to get there, tho.

OP
Iggy

Iggy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Area suggestions:

Faron Province:
Kokiri Meadow: What's with all the Lolis?
Blah Orchard: A farm that provides Hyrule with many of it's (Deku Berries?)
Clocktown: Majora's last attempt at bringing down the apocalypse happened here.

Lanayru Province:
Hyrule Castle Town: You need this place somewhere. Actually a city, but everyone calls it a town.
Hyrule Castle: Just how big is this place? Even Zelda has gotten lost in one of its many gardens. And the grand ball room is absolutely massive!
Temple of Time: Not just where the Master Sword is kept, but there' catacombs beneath it as well.

Gerudo Province:
Haunted Wasteland: The desert isn't just a massive expanse of rolling dunes, there's also a rocky area that's said to be haunted by a army that got lost and died of dehydration.
Town Abandoned: A ghost town. Once a thriving mining town, now abandoned wooden shacks. Not even the moblins come here, so far away from just about everything.
Abandoned Mine: A mine now empty of whatever it was they were digging for. Did they really get everything?
Desert Colossus: The great Temple of Light that Gerudo visit. A Grand Statue of Din sitting on a Throne is carved out into the side of a cliff face, and within is a labyrinth built to house the previous dead Gerudo Kings and their treasures.
Fairy Oasis: One of the ponds of water has a hive of fairies living among the foliage. Some say their magic keeps it moist all year. Others say a great fairy does it all herself, and the rest are just her children. And still many believe there's a natural spring driving water up from the water table. Who can be sure?
Flamingo Sea: This desert would make a great beach if there was an ocean next to it. Well there is! It's just really far away! Din help you if you don't bring lots of water to get there, tho.
..........................What?

Anyway. Hyrule Castle and Castle Town are in the center of everything, but I forgot that it technically still resides in the Lanayru Province. As for the Kokiri, I probably won't include them in this game. Be warned, if you petition to have them added, it will be met with EVERY SINGLE LINE OF TEXT CONTAINING A BARE MININMUM OF ONE INSTANCE OF "HEY LISTEN!". And I do mean EVERY LINE.

Also, I'll consier the other ideas, except the Flamingo idea; what the fuck were you smoking when you thought of that, and may I please have some?

UrineOnU

Cthulhu
Reputation score

So if you can't find the sprites, you are going to have to make your own sprite sets from ripped Zelda games, If you put them in the sprite sequence like I posted before and equally divide it for less or more frames it will work with the multiple movement frames script. Its just going to take some patience to do all the sprite sets and tilesets.You can find "link to the past sprites" all here

I made an example of what i was able to do with the sprites from there as well, everything is in the same scale as the ripped sprites.

Attachments

OP
Iggy

Iggy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I'll try and work with finding sprites. But in the meantime, I need to create something entirely crucial to the plot. How to get Link from living a perfectly normal life to getting involved in this quest. I have also neglected to add the oh so nostagic Lon Lon Ranch to the list of places. What I was thinking for getting Link from point A to point B is not really good in my opinion and still needs tweaking to make it more plausible so I'd like your guys opinions.

In this game, Link, as usual, has no parents to take care of him and ends up gowing up on the Lon Lon Ranch. As he grew older, he started to work part time at the Ranch for a living. Shortly before the upcoming Celestial Festival, a large shipment of Lon Lon Milk was requested to be shipped to Holondrum after the Celestial Festival. Link willingly volunteers to make the delivery, despite the numerous dangers on the road between Hyrule and Holondrum. On that one fateful day during the festival setup, Link was asked to make a delivery to Hyrule Castle. On the way, he'll decide to pick up a shield and sword to defend himself should he run into trouble on the way to Holondrum. After making the delivery outside the castle, a bunch of commotion arises from inside the castle grounds and his curiousity gets the better of him. He had to find way inside and see what was going on.

I know it's terrible, but maybe you guys like it... I dunno. Just let me know what you guys think.

the_taken

King of the Impossible
Reputation score

In this game, Link, as usual, has no parents to take care of him and ends up gowing up on the Lon Lon Ranch. As he grew older, he started to work part time at the Ranch for a living. Shortly before the upcoming Celestial Festival, a large shipment of Lon Lon Milk was requested to be shipped to Holondrum after the Celestial Festival. Link willingly volunteers to make the delivery, despite the numerous dangers on the road between Hyrule and Holondrum. On that one fateful day during the festival setup, Link was asked to make a delivery to Hyrule Castle. On the way, he'll decide to pick up a shield and sword to defend himself should he run into trouble on the way to Holondrum. After making the delivery outside the castle, a bunch of commotion arises from inside the castle grounds and his curiousity gets the better of him. He had to find way inside and see what was going on.
It could work if the commotion is Ganondorf, as usual, or one of his minions up to some evil. Don't peter around the bush. Just get Link in gear with a sword as fast as possible!

OP
Iggy

Iggy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

It could work if the commotion is Ganondorf, as usual, or one of his minions up to some evil. Don't peter around the bush. Just get Link in gear with a sword as fast as possible!
First off, this generation of Link wouldn't know about Ganondorf. Also:
Ganondorf isn't the main antagonist.

the_taken

King of the Impossible
Reputation score

I'm just saying, for game design purposes, you have 10 minutes to get the player hooked on the game. You can get away with up to five minutes of whatever shenanigans you need to to give the player a sense of plot, but between the 5 and 15 minute mark of play time, the player should have a general sense of what type of game he is going to be playing for the next 40 hours he is going to invest in it.

If you spend fifteen minutes having Link do chores around Lon Lon Ranch, then the player is going to assume he's playing a LoZ themed Harvest Moon with the occasional sword fight for nostalgia. If the player has to sit through 15 minutes of menus, menus and loading screens, he's probably going to get upset that there isn't any actual game. And if he spends 90% of the time watching cinematics broken up by short sequences of carefully controlled game play, he'll wonder why there's any game at all and not a movie or TV show. The first fifteen minutes of the game are crucial to selling the experience to the player.

OP
Iggy

Iggy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I'm just saying, for game design purposes, you have 10 minutes to get the player hooked on the game. You can get away with up to five minutes of whatever shenanigans you need to to give the player a sense of plot, but between the 5 and 15 minute mark of play time, the player should have a general sense of what type of game he is going to be playing for the next 40 hours he is going to invest in it.

If you spend fifteen minutes having Link do chores around Lon Lon Ranch, then the player is going to assume he's playing a LoZ themed Harvest Moon with the occasional sword fight for nostalgia. If the player has to sit through 15 minutes of menus, menus and loading screens, he's probably going to get upset that there isn't any actual game. And if he spends 90% of the time watching cinematics broken up by short sequences of carefully controlled game play, he'll wonder why there's any game at all and not a movie or TV show. The first fifteen minutes of the game are crucial to selling the experience to the player.
Well, there's going to be an intro thingy for sure, and there might be a few tasks to do on the Lon Lon Ranch for the generic control tutorial thing. And then there will be a cutscene to show that Link is leaving Ranch and going to Hyrule Castle Town, after which, you will be able to move around freely to explore the town for a bit and get a sword and shield before making your delivery.

OP
Iggy

Iggy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Got a basic overworld map of Hyrule made.

Didn't feel like labeling it. Feel free to ask questions.

OP
Iggy

Iggy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Making an event timeline for the basic events that will happen in the beginning of the game.

• Link wakes up
  • Link goes to the Lon Lon Ranch to make daily deliveries for his job
  • Link makes his milk delivery to the Hyrule Castle
  • Link meets Maple
  • Story Quest: Aquire Maple's confiscated broom from the Guard Station
  • Completed Quest: Get Bottle
  • Maple Leaves
  • Commotion arises from the castle
  • The gates close, preventing entry or exit from anyone
  • Story Quest: Investigate the situation inside the castle
  • Meet Majora-Posessed Zelda and the cult of Majora
  • Get forcibly teleported to the outer edge of the Faron Woods

These will be the general events that will lead up to the main story plot which I'm about to explain.

Upon entering the throne room of Hyrule Castle for the first time, Link encounters a scene where the Majora Cultists fight off the throne room guards with little effort using dark magic. They then notice Link and go monology on him, revealing their plan to allow Majora's Mask to absorb Zelda's life force as part of a ritual to ressurect Majora in his original form. The cultists then teleport Link away and begin their preparations for the ritual.

Link is later awoken by Maple near her house at the border of Faron Woods. You explain the situation to Maple and she offers to help you on your quest (new teammate aquired). She suggests that her and Link seek out an elder who lives deep withing Faron Woods. Then begin quest to complete dungeons to get the items you need to aquire the Master Sword.

Any thoughts or ideas? Anyone?