What's new

linex help

handofdoz

Lurker
Reputation score
i was wondering if anybody on this forum has any knowledge of the linex operating system ubunto and would be able to help me try to run it.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score
Re: linex help

Lin... ex?
Ubun..... to?

You got some knock-off shit or something?

<3 ya

Lurker
Reputation score

Ubuntu is a version of Linux, the most popular and accessible version. Google that shit. You can make a boot cd with the program the site gives you. from there you can run it off the disk as a sort of trial run, install it in a partition so you can keep whatever you had before on your computer, or just reformat the whole box. I'd recommend the first or second option at first, just so you can get a feel for the OS and see if you like it.

If you wanted programing help, that's beyond my ability.

OP
handofdoz

handofdoz

Lurker
Reputation score

the problem is that i am running it right now, and that everything my old computer used to be able to run, this cannot. i understand that there is a issue with linux compatibility, but even the step by step instructions seem to assume you know what your doing.

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

the problem is that i am running it right now, and that everything my old computer used to be able to run, this cannot. i understand that there is a issue with linux compatibility, but even the step by step instructions seem to assume you know what your doing.
Do you mean that you're trying to run Windows programs on Linux? Because with Wine, if a program doesn't run out of the box (so to speak), it takes a lot of knowledge to get it to run. You're better off either installing Windows on a virtual computer(which is a poor solution for resource heavy programs like new games) or dualbooting. Or better yet, finding native programs that do what you want.

OP
handofdoz

handofdoz

Lurker
Reputation score

actually i know about wine, and i cant figure out how the heck to download it. every download link seems to lead to a never ending loading application..... not sure if im retarded or something

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

actually i know about wine, and i cant figure out how the heck to download it. every download link seems to lead to a never ending loading application..... not sure if im retarded or something
It's in Ubuntu repositories. You do know how to use the package manager, right?

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

no but ill get on that.
Package manager is something you definitely need to learn how to use if you stick with Linux. If something is in the repositories, you can search for it from the package manager and download and install it with a few clicks, basically.