What's new

Logs of the fortress manager

OP
XSI

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Logs of the fortress manager

He does the same things as children do, nothing else. But on the other side, he counts as noble, but does not make any mandates at all, and has no room or furniture requirements at all. He's usually used as lever-puller.

thetwo

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Philosopher is my second-favorite noble, after the Dungeon Master (who can train dragons). I mean as far as work goes it's mostly pulling levers and manually pumping, but anything more complex would stop him from philosophizing!

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

Lever-puller... Well, not a bad task.

OP
XSI

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

20 hematite

Traded with the humans, not a lot of special things, but we got some nice extra things that will help a lot. They seemed to really like their cloth though, something of a price over 200% of the usual, but since we already have too much, I simply didn't get any of it.

22 malachite

A woodcutter got possessed, claimed a workshop, and gathered some stuff, the result is a wooden artifact barrel..Maybe we can brew some really good booze to fill it with.

OP
XSI

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

2 sandstone

Traded with the dwarves, some armour, some metal, something of everything, and in return, we gave them mostly cloth crafts and silk crafts.
Basicly, we gave them our junk for nice useful things.

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

Not much going around right now, eh?

OP
XSI

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Not at all, but I think a big part of the problem is that I don't have nearly as much time for it as I want, another big part is that these dwarves seem to do just one thing-Party(And since they're all friends of eachother, everybody is invited and nothing gets done), and I can't play with a headache.

garfield751

Lurker
Reputation score

well theres aways

OP
XSI

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

The biggest problem is that work is going slowly, the biggest factor is that out of 20-25 masons, only 4 can work on the actual project at once, and they have to carry the rocks 100+ steps every time.

Obviously this means it takes some time, but I've made sure the masons working on that part have high speed. The other masons are off building roads and working on the entrance, besides that, I'm thinking of making some towers near the roads, I need to use 300+ blocks left from all the pumps that aren't working.

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

Some fortifications would be nice.

OP
XSI

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

19 moonstone

A goblin ambush was spotted, and the first thing I did was call the military to all get ready for battle.
The first thing the military did was grab some food and take their time to eat, drink, and get some sleep. One macedwarf was the worst of them, he not only went to sleep, but he suffocated as well, anything to not fight I guess.
For doing things during the winter, I've got the extra masons building roads and towers outside, and the miners digging for ore to keep the forges busy.
The ambush came close to our outpost and was then killed by a single marksdwarf on a fortification.

27 moonstone

Some goblin thieves were found, and then killed by the dwarves that discovered them, they didn't carry much, but we can always use their clothes as trade goods for when the caravans arrive. The towers went up at amazing speed, and 2 of them are already done. We still have a lot of blocks, so 4 more towers are getting build, all following the same pattern of dark andesite blocks at the bottom, and a nearly white talc top. We also found cobaltite(Blue) and olivine(Green) while mining, so I might just make some more colourful constructions with the extra masons.

Last edited:
OP
XSI

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

If I find out how he died, I'll let you know, he was found dead in the barracks, no other military dwarf was nearby(Both possible sparring partners were drinking, and used blunt weapons, so it couldn't have been a spear's impalement through the lungs.)

13 granite

Goblin invaders, not that they can do anything, but it gives me an excuse to call all dwarves in while the goblins walk through a tunnel rigged to cave-in with the pull of a lever.

15 granite

It seems construction work has left a hole in our defences, and 20 goblins are rushing into the fort right now, on the bright side, I found a location near the unfinished areas which is perfect for marksdwarves, and placed all 4 champions nearby, with the meelee warriors at a distance behind it. I'm not sure what will happen, there are 2 goblin leaders(Legendary), of which one is a ranged warrior which will be able to kill a lot of dwarves on his own.

16 granite

Rocks fall, everyone dies.
Well, of the goblins that is, the tunnel collapsed and killed them all, except for the ranged goblin, but he now has 2 bolts where his eyes used to be.
Siege over.

To top it off, some non-essential dwarf got possessed, so we're getting another pretty item.

27 granite

The 'pretty item' ended up being a fully functional bone mace, now, I'm not going to remind that proud dwarf that a mace is basicly a glorified club, so he just made a chunk of bone into a chunk of bone, but it's always nice to have an artifact weapon. It also has rock decorations(Heavy clubs hit harder?), and the image of a dwarf killing a kobold on it.

8 slate

Migrants, as if we didn't have enough people sitting around, doing nothing.

1 mason
1 mechanic
1 glassmaker
1 recruit usele-hammerdwarf.
10 royal guards(Like a policeforce)
1 thresher
1 macedwarf(Trained)
1 leatherworker
1 herbalist
1 fisher
1 carpenter

9 felsite

The hunter died by drowning in a small pool, he dodged into it when he was out hunting without ammo, and was trying to choke an elephant to death, or beat it over the head with his crossbow.

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

I didn't know that choking elephants could be the cause of drowning...

Also, I like that mace.

thetwo

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I've heard that getting pushed onto a bed square via a wrestling move can rarely cause death by suffocation, which is why I set my barracks from armor stands or weapon racks now and give the soldiers proper rooms nearby.

OP
XSI

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Because of extensive tests on goblins, I've found that if given enough force behind a blow, a hammer can mangle the lungs. I think that was the problem.

As for the hunter, he probably dodged into the water, completely forgetting he can't swim.

18 hematite

Human traders, just when I thought we could get rid of the loads of iron left behind by goblins, a noble mandated no iron was to be exported. Jerks, I guess it will have to be melted down and made into steel.
And a military dwarf bled to death, no idea why.
And also, we are catching and taming vermin, because some dwarves like it. As a matter of fact, one of our blacksmiths is walking around with 3 rats on his head, and one on his shoulder.

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

Well, I suppose you've obtained emergency food supply...