What's new

ADV [lokavi] Making a board game

lokavi

Lurker
Reputation score
Just for the fun of it, I have started making a game based on a popular board game. I am looking for some ideas to get the ball rolling.

Thus far the concept is that four girls sit to play a popular real estate board game. Everything seems normal at first, but the game has been possessed by a demon (you). Over the course of the game, you skim some money off the top of any transaction the girls do in the game, and use it to modify the properties. When a girl lands on a modified property, they both pay the rent, and... things happen.

I am hoping to add a level of corruption to the game as well - as the girls get subjected to more things, they are willing to do even more. Similarly, I plan on having a drunkenness level as well.

Right at this moment, I need ideas for properties. Right now, I plan on allowing 2 upgrades for each property. The idea is that each upgrade adds more corruption to the city.

So far, I have:
Club -> Dance Club -> Strip Club
Tavern -> Inn & Tavern -> Brothel
Bazaar -> Marketplace -> Slave Market
Main St -> Main St Sewers -> Catacombs
House -> Mansion -> Haunted Mansion
Forest -> Dark Forest -> Haunted Forest
Traders' Guild -> Thieves' Guild -> Slavers' Guild
Lounge -> Bar -> Speakeasy ('Railroads')
Bank -> Pawn Shop -> Loan Shark
Herbalist > Healers Hut > Witches Hut
Potion Shop > Potion Bar (Like a Hooka bar in concept) > Alchemist's Den

In the short term, I will be looking for an artist to help create images for the game. In the long term, I plan on making a tool so that people can add their own characters to the game.

I am worried about using images without the artist's permission, so I am not sure what I can share as this goes along until I have art that I have permission to use. If you are looking to help on that front, all of the images are 345x295px.

cubeupload.com/im/lokavi1/NewBitmapImage.png

Thoughts pop up below images, and appear until character's next turn. They are event driven. Event text shows up after the rest of the stuff happens in a turn (buying property, paying rent, etc.)

Last edited:

moonblack

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
Re: Making a board game

So an erotic version of Monopoly and similar games? Sounds interesting. I'd love to try it.

Suggestions about some of the locations:
Tavern -> Inn&Tavern -> Brothel
Main St -> Main St Sewers -> Catacombs?
Alchemy Shop -> Alchemist's Lab -> Witch's Hut

No more ideas right now.

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

So an erotic version of Monopoly and similar games? Sounds interesting. I'd love to try it.

No more ideas right now.
i'd prefer one where you play one of the girls, and the goal is to subjugate the other players

OP
L

lokavi

Lurker
Reputation score

Love them! I particularly love the mansion / forest, there's tons that can be done with those.

HappyGoomba

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Pharmacy -> Snake oil salesman -> Crack house (aphrodisiac shop? opium den?)
Traders guild -> Thieves guild -> Slavers guild
Fancy Lounge -> Bar -> Speakeasy

Bank -> Pawnshop -> Loan shark

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

i think the bank is the most corrupt of those, though all 3 prey on the poor

FireoftheMonkey

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

I really like these options here, although I would like to know is the game base like a monopoly fantasy style building? Because it would probably work better naming wise for that.

So my idea's for names of the sites and how they would change. I think having both a pharmacy and alchemist is kinda odd. Herbalist should probably grow into the witches hut and Alchemist should probably shift more into the drugs area. So with that in mind I would go with this.

Herbalist > Healers Hut > Witches Hut
Potion Shop > Potion Bar (Like a Hooka bar in concept) > Alchemist's Den

Beyond that mechanic's wise I think the game being like Jumangi where you play the board game is really interesting. the girls should have four stats, willingness/Sluttiness (essentially how close to the broken sex slave they are), Corruption (How far they will go to win and sell out their friends), I'm not really sure if they need another stat, aside from maybe awareness? Like a stat so the girls don't realize your doing it to them and stop playing.

Last edited:

FruitSmoothie

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I am worried about using images without the artist's permission, so I am not sure what I can share as this goes along until I have art that I have permission to use. If you are looking to help on that front, all of the images are 345x295px.
Whatever you do, I hope you keep this mindset and avoid using people's art without permission in anything you release to the public.

I use Cubeupload, never had any problem with it and it's pretty quick to mass upload stuff.

OP
L

lokavi

Lurker
Reputation score

I really like these options here, although I would like to know is the game base like a monopoly fantasy style building? Because it would probably work better naming wise for that.

Beyond that mechanic's wise I think the game being like Jumangi where you play the board game is really interesting.
You have hit the nail on the head.

OP
L

lokavi

Lurker
Reputation score

Corruption (How far they will go to win and sell out their friends), I'm not really sure if they need another stat, aside from maybe awareness? Like a stat so the girls don't realize your doing it to them and stop playing.
Right now, I have the skeleton of a robust event system in place, where each girl can have their own stats as the designer sees fit.

A very small sample:

img=1.png
END
jail=2
img=2.png
text="The guards rip at her clothing!"
thoughts="No, stop!"
END
jail=1
img=3.png
text="The guards throw her back in the cell naked!"
thoughts="Just let me go..."
END

In this, 1.png is the image used if no events pass.
If jail=2, 2.png is used, and the text and thoughts for that event.
If jail=1, 3.png, etc. etc.

A few variables will be universal (jail, for example), but anyone designing a girl should be able to create their own variables, such as "drunk", "corrupt", or "tentacles". I plan on taking one of my test subjects and adding a "nudity" level for... testing purposes. I'll show you the text for events when I finish them.

FireoftheMonkey

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

You have hit the nail on the head.
Just wanna say as I hit the nail on the head, I am honestly excited for the project moving forward. This sounds really cool and interesting honestly can't wait for the teaser stuff.

OP
L

lokavi

Lurker
Reputation score

Honestly, the biggest problem I am going to have moving forward is images.

Right now, the game moves along on its own... you can click the "next turn" button, but that's all the player interaction so far. Once I add in the playable parts, I'll release what I have. Yes, this will include a small amount of images I didn't make... these will function as placeholders until I or the community can come up with some more pics.

As a heads up, ANY work on this will be distributed free, and I will only be distributing it on this site.