What's new

Looking for a good text adventure/gamebook engine.

Drakeero

Lurker
Reputation score
I've had some ideas for some fairly intense h-games, but the programming and artwork skills that would be required far exceed what I'm capable of. It recently occurred to me that I could try to do something along the lines of Corruption of Champions, Mutant Minx Meltdown, or M.E. Hydra's latest interactive literotica web pages. All my earlier attempts and failures have been with the Gamemaker and RPG Maker product families. I'm not as familiar with the tools available for more text-based games. I've done a simple google search and found three recommendations for Twine, Quest, and Adrift but quickly learn that the genre of text-adventure is still a rather popular and classical form of game. I was wondering if I could get some advice to help avoid some unnecessary trial and error.

Some of the long-term goals I'd like to try to do is create a game like Shadowgate, but with more sex and fewer mechanical puzzles. It would probably be as technically advanced as M.E. Hydra's interactive stories, but more streamlined. This sounds perhaps the most realistic of a goal.

Later on, I was hoping to try to do stuff with more intricate variables and inventory similar to the RPG maker environment that I'm used to playing with. This would be closer to Corruption of Champions or MMM in style.

Finally, I've wanted to do an H-roguelike for quite awhile. If these other projects actually work and I can develop some more coding skills, I'm wondering if there are any text-based systems that could use scripting and variables to produce randomized content each time an instance of the world is created.