Reputation score
Re: Madrigal OOC Chatter

*bows*

I'm just glad someone read through the whole frakking thing. XD

xivvix

Lurker
Reputation score

WOW! I didn't realize Madrigal was so thought out! That makes things a lot more interesting, and ought to make for more interesting RPs ;)

Goldstein

Lurker
Reputation score

That helps quite a bit, actually. So, you could say that sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology?

I'm actually a little curious, in a world where magic is the main 'science', if you will, and focused in the hands of the ruling species, dragons and demons, I would expect some group of humans to sort of rebel against that and look into what we call science and technology, as a way of eventually equalizing the two sides. At the least, something like Plato's Academy or the University of Constantinople (though that's more philosophy than sciences). However, that wasn't the case here?

In any case, thanks for writing all of that. It does really clarify a lot, and I always like a well thought-out world, like this one.

Kattunge

Lurker
Reputation score

xivvix: X3 Thanks! I hope so too! Madrigal had kind of a leg up, anyways, being an alternate version of a more classically high-fantasy world.

Goldstein:

"I would expect some group of humans to sort of rebel against that and look into what we call science and technology, as a way of eventually equalizing the two sides."

Has happened -- BUT, again, is seen as fringe and kind of kooky. The thing is, most humans subscribe to the dragon and demon 'magic is key!' viewpoints because there is enough help from dragons that they are pretty popular among those who don't think too much about the social inequities. The groups who are into scientific research are small and definitely, definitely fringe... because most of the people who have time to dabble in the nature of things are in the human-friendly demon and dragon nations, and get educations that are magic-centric, and have their basic worldview built around magic, and would have to reset their whole outlook to even get into the mindset that the world can be understood through observation and conjecture and mere brainpower... just like a lot of people today who are scientifically inclined tend to shrug off or explain away anything that cannot be explained by science. X3

Exceptions, exceptions, always exceptions... if you want to make a scientifically-inclined character, feel free! We can talk more about how much they could know, what the fringe science-freaks (hehe nerds) might have been able to figure out so far.

Interesting note: mathematics is a field that is still pursued, as numbers are applicable everywhere! So physics might be the only Madrigal field of scientific knowledge that is, you know, going anywhere quickly. X3

"So, you could say that sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology?"

heheheee.. oh yes, yes indeed. X3

Last edited:

Goldstein

Lurker
Reputation score

That makes sense. Heh, sorry if I seemed to harp on the topic of science , it's just one of the things that interests me the most, both in reality and in fiction.

I'm not going to RP any time soon, probably. I'm too new at this, but I'll certainly stick around and learn.

The dragons and demons were around first, and humans came along later, correct? Are they demons in the sense of demonic, originating from Hell, that sort of thing? Or are they called demons simply because they match our physical description of them? For that matter, what is religion like in a world like this?

I hope I'm not overloading you with questions, heh. Feel free to cut me off whenever, yeah?

Kattunge

Lurker
Reputation score

Naw, I love this. :D This is how I come up with most of this stuff; someone asked, at some point, and started me thinking. So really you're doing me a favour. :D

Demons are definitely, definitely not demonic in the sense that you're thinking. Some of them are serious bastards, and brutality is more socially acceptable to them for the most part... but they are just creatures, people, really. Different, but not trapped into being evil or from a different plane of existence or whatever. :)

'Demon' and 'dragon' both came from human vernacular, when they showed up on Madrigal. Ancient species names were in use before that. Which is actually why plenty of scholars argue that humans began showing up at the end of the wars... because it was around then that the ancient names began to fall out of use.

Religion on Madrigal is a funny question, because it exists, but it's confused -- because they have something concrete to compare with. There are literally hundreds of thousands of accounts of the Goddesses showing up that all correlate, which most people take as proof that something was going on in the ancient times that isn't going on now... which means that there are three main types of religious belief systems on Madrigal:

1. Waiting for the goddesses to return.
The most fundamentalist (to use a loaded term) of the dragons and demons try and hold up the old ways, believing that Aska and Zenite will show up again someday and guide the species to glory once more. (And by glory they mean, you know, kill the entire other species and take over the planet.)

2. The goddesses are still here, but we matured far enough that they are letting us make our own decisions now.
These people believe that religion should change with the times, and the goddesses phased themselves out for that reason; that the time for unquestioning loyalty is a thing of the past, but the time of worship is not yet over. A number of factions follow this basic teaching, and thus have a number of disparate practices ranging from similar to 1 (uphold the old traditions, but no, the ladies in the sky are not coming back) to a kind of Buddhist-esque, deity-independent outlook that religion should be a path to personal enlightenment that each individual must take (this one draws paralells between personal journeys and the species' journeys... from under the rule of (usually) a pair of parents, to finding your own way in life). A popular permutation of this is a religion that preaches that the goddesses are examples, that balance must be achieved in all things; a very dualistic practice that harps on themes of day/night, light/dark, and good/evil OR yin/yang depending on the practice...

3. The goddesses are a myth; some other force rules the universe.
This expresses as the same kind of plethora of religions that exist on Earth, though the number and size of these religions is dwarfed by 1 and 2. Pantheism and monotheism are both considered odd and fringe, but do exist -- without much support because pssh, guys, YOUR stupid gods are unverified even in a dubious fashion! General spiritualism is less strange, as it doesn't suggest alternatives to Aska and Zenite, just spiritualism outside of them.

4. (for good measure) The goddesses are dead or never existed. Also known as atheism.

Goldstein

Lurker
Reputation score

Cool. I like that no one viewpoint is necessarily more correct. What were the Goddesses? Or do dragons hold that they were dragons, demons that they were demons, and such?

Kattunge

Lurker
Reputation score

The goddesses were very dualistic and were basically the reason for the inter-species loathing. Aska was a dragon, Zenite was a demon, and they fought more like unfriendly siblings than anything else... but most of the subtleties have been lost to time. As far as anyone knows, according to the historical accounts, Aska was a dragon and Zenite was a demon and that was that.

(I think Demons were probably called Demons by the first humans because of Zenite; when she was around she was a scary bitch.)

*coughs* They were not gods in the sense that religion here preaches, but they seemed it in all the ways that mattered to their followers.

Goldstein

Lurker
Reputation score

More like the Greek or Roman gods, then, with their fighting and rivalries.

Are humans the only ones that are ever enslaved, or do demons own dragons or other demons, or such? And for that matter, are daemons sentient like the humans, dragons, demons, or does it vary with the daemon?

Kattunge

Lurker
Reputation score

Oh yes, very much like the Greek gods, but only two of them. :3 Or ancient Sumerian kinds of deities. Aska in particular liked to present herself as perfect.

Humans are mostly enslaved because they are easier to! Daemons next, though they often volunteer, being uniquely suited to certain jobs. Some places, demons enslave dragons and vice versa... actually, less of the dragons being enslaved because they are generally large enough to be trouble to try and control, so why bother when you can just grab a bunch of easy-to-control humans for the same job?

Actually, there are a few places -- secluded places, hidden places -- where dragons or demons are enslaved by daemons, to serve as kept sources of magic, like living batteries.

Daemons are almost universally sentient. It's a taboo for a daemon to program sentience out of its offspring...

oh god, has that been explained anywhere? D:

Daemons have an innate knowledge of genetics which most other species leave alone as 'a daemon thing' -- daemons have an innate ability, to varying degrees, to genetically manipulate their own offspring in the early stages of gestation, the earlier the better. Some are better than others at it, but all of them can do it, given the chance, to their own offspring... thus wild physical changes can be effected in only a few generations. The daemons who are the very best at this can occasionally even help other species with things like inherited genetic diseases -- however! The understanding is instinctual, unscientific, and no one has really seriously connected it to scientific or magical understanding yet. XD HUGE oversight. They haven't even looked. It's going to be a big revelation when someone thinks to pick the brains of a skilled gene artisan AND try and connect that to what they are literally, physically doing... DNA is going to be such a huge revelation, and the daemons are all going to go "WELL DUH"

oh ho ho. XD

Oh, hey, I want to add a bit of a disclaimer... people, if this huge dump if info is intimidating, feel free to go on your merry way without worrying about honoring it. It really is for my own entertainment and the use of anyone who's genuinely interested -- I don't want to curb anyone's creativity by slapping you with a bunch of information that you're going to worry about remembering!

On the inverse, if you want to be true to the info, that'd tickle me pink! I do love to see people use this stuff. X3 And I'm always up for fielding more questions.

Goldstein

Lurker
Reputation score

That's interesting. Manipulation of genetic code... Are the daemons naturally occurring?

And, since you asked for questions...

Are there any kind of abolitionist groups around?

There isn't any sort of taboo on interspecies reproduction? Are the species cross-fertile?

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

...Are the species cross-fertile?
Well, judging from the two characters who have been impregnated by daemons and the one who impregnated a dragon, that would be a yes.

Goldstein

Lurker
Reputation score

Ah, I didn't notice the dragon. I had seen the daemon, but that could be chalked up to their ability to modify genetic material. (Yes, that would be cross-fertile, technically, but I meant naturally.)

Last edited:
OP
wallpaper

wallpaper

Lurker
Reputation score

Not to interrupt the very cool Q&A going on here, but since Pheonix just bonded her a daemon (and I've been playing the weirder ones as intelligent in their own way, they simply haven't been sharing that with the characters!) and I wrote him up a blurb.

If anyone happens to latch a character permanently (I'm thinking that, if not via bonding, than by racking up enough of the 'fuckbuddy' status to stack!) they'll get a similar bonus.

So, have an example of what you might see in a PM some day!

Shale
Species: Tentacle Daemon
Information: Shale's mind voice can be heard by Pheonix alone, but when he speaks into her mind, it is accompanied by the feeling of uncertain footing, of sliding, grinding rocks, of dust and sharp edges. This sensation will grow more strong and certain as Shale grows up; for now dust and edges are the most that Pheonix will get from him outside of actual words. Shale is a bold and adventurous daemon by nature, always excited to explore this or that new thing. Though he's fairly new to the world of sex, he will quickly adopt Pheonix's taste for the new and unusual. He may even leave the woman's shoulders to seek out partners of his own, though he'll always want to keep Pheonix in relatively close proximity. Pheonix's bonding with the daemon was unconventional, though not entirely unheard of -- with such a sexual first impression to go by, this daemon will take comfort in Pheonix's sex (physically and metaphorically!), either goading her to try new things, or slipping around her waist and toying with her clit, labia and vagina if nobody else is around to do so for him. If Pheonix discourages Shale from doing this in public, the daemon will obey her, but consider her warned that the moment they have some privacy, he will probably make up for lost time!

Shale will grow very quickly in the next few weeks. At the moment he reaches from the tip of Pheonix's middle finger to her elbow, and is not especially thick in girth. Within a week or so, however, he will reach nearly to her shoulder, and increase in girth to match that. It will take him about three years to reach Hunt's massive boa constrictor-like size, but growth will be steady and he is technically physically mature right from birth. He can potentially impregnate Pheonix, but these occasions will be further between than encounters with other species -- Shale is less fertile until he hits about five years of age, in which case his fertility will rocket through average to Nest's unparalleled, self-impregnating fertility two decades or so down the road. Of course, as Shale reaches roughly five, he will sprout more tentacles of his own... but Pheonix will have to wait some time to experience this first-hand.
Fetishes: You choose!
1/2/3/4

---

Stats and such:
-Whenever Shale experiences a pleasure gain, Pheonix will receive a various boost of her own, from between 25%, 50%, and 100% of what her bond has gained -- and vice versa. The same goes for HP loss.
-When rolling for feats that require being able to spot things, Pheonix and Shale's Brains stat will combine. Other stats may be combined on the rare occasion in the same way, as if the two are in perfect sync.
-Experience points can be spent to boost Shale's stats.
-Any offspring that Shale produces can be chosen from to alter or play just as with Pheonix!

Oooh, shininess! *wriggles fingers mystically*

Though it comes to mind that if you play your individual characters long enough, you may wind up with your own posse of player-controlled NPC's as well. >_> Things could get complicated!

Kattunge

Lurker
Reputation score

(**edit* WHOOPS ignore those!)

"Are the daemons naturally occurring?"

AHAHAHAAAH Oh you are SMART! XD No, they are not naturally occurring, but oh, there is no way I'm going into that tonight... kudos on catching on. XD

"Are there any kind of abolitionist groups around?"

In some places yes; in most places no. Worldwide, definitely not yet. The 'global government' is, well, for the most part subscribes to the concept of noninterference with individual nations' little laws.... in any case, I guess there are no global abolitionist groups, but there are certain national ones in nations that are receptive enough.

"There isn't any sort of taboo on interspecies reproduction?"

Oh, there are! Plenty of them. Especially between dragons and demons. Falia's just giving those taboos the finger. And really, the taboos are -- varied. In some places they are less prevalent, though the dragon/demon one is the most widespread and pervasive...

With daemons in particular it varies widely. Usually on how physically similar the daemon you bred with is to you. X3 The weirder, the more taboo. In some places daemons try and get their offspring mimicing dragons or demons in the hope of interbreeding with those species -- some daemon/dragon and daemon/demon crosses get the double-awesome-whammy of magic production and magic sucking, so tend to be... well, very very good at magic-related things! Which is like selectively breeding so your offspring has the chance for a massive brain... though it is seen as kind of skeezy to try and do that, for the most part.

Crossbreeding with humans varies mostly on how the resident magical-creature population views the resident human. In societies where humans are more looked after, human/dragon or human/demon crossings are far more accepted -- such pairings fight to be recognized as legitimate rather than perversions. (And the parallel is fitting even though I feel a bit strange giving it: It's a little like what gays and lesbians have faced historically, fighting to be recognized as something other than a perversion.)

In other societies, however, it ranges from being seen as bestial and perverse, to being downright outlawed.

I would say for the most part, the range of perspective on cross-breeding between any two species falls between being considered bestial and perverse, to being weird but ultimately harmless. Extremes on either end are far more rare; so are neutral-to-positive views.

"Are the species cross-fertile?"

Oh, thoroughly. Which makes no sense, really, but hey. Magic. :D (I'm proud of me; that's the first time I've used that excuse right out!)

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

And for those wondering, Shale's fetishes are novelty sex and... surprise sex with Pheonix.

Kattunge

Lurker
Reputation score

Hehehee. Oh Shale. X3

Pheonix, I've been avidly reading your thread. High-five for sexy goodness!

Goldstein

Lurker
Reputation score

Cool. =D

I think that's about all I can think of tonight, anyway. I'm sure I'll have more to ask tomorrow. Thanks for answering all that.

Kattunge

Lurker
Reputation score

Okay! Glad to have my brains picked. :D Thanks for asking.

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

Yes, my thread is fun. Yours tends to be, too, except for that rather awkward first introduction to your patron. My introduction was more interesting. :p

What I'm somewhat looking forward to is the amusing situation where Pheonix is talking to someone and Shale comes out of nowhere to have playtime.