What's new

Magic: The Gathering

Iggy

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Re: Magic: The Gathering

Soulbound

Soulbound:
Where Creature dies, you may pay it's CMD again, if you do, you may remove it from a graveyard and return it to the battlefield with a -1/-1 counter on it, it is a white spirit creature in addition**
I believe that sounds a BIT too similar to a recent mechanic:

[soulbond]

As for my rationale behind the Upwell for Simic is here:

The section titled "The Upwelling" leads me to believe this will relate to the Simic's new ability. In paticular, this excerpt lead me to believe this: "The return of the deep creatures to the surface, the birth of ever-larger organisms, the pursuit of natural science and understandings, the slow addition of new zonots... all are upwellings. The new and enlivened replace the old and depleted, and that replacement is cyclical." This leads me to think that their new ability would be similar to a birthing pod, except with +1/+1 counters (to stick with Simic tradition).

Serifyn

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I couldn't come up with anything better than Soulbound, but i'm sure there would be a better name for it.

Orzhov is all about issuing contracts which remain through death, so im sure the Orzhov mechanic will be death related be it on your own creatures or your enemies.

Iggy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Orzhov is all about issuing contracts which remain through death, so im sure the Orzhov mechanic will be death related be it on your own creatures or your enemies.
Or related to debt or tax-collecting.

Iggy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Simic Fluxmage has been added to the Gatecrash spoiler. The new Simic ability is:

Evolve (Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, if that creature has greater power or toughness than this creature, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.)

Iggy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Sorry to triple-post, but Wizards really fucked up...

Lurker
Reputation score

All of the new guild abilities are spoiled. They are:

Simic: Evolve: When a creature enters the battlefield with great P/T than this creature, put a 1/1 counter on this creature.

Boros: Battalion: Whenever this creature and at least two other creatures attack, gain an additional effect.

Grull: Bloodrush: Pay a cost and discard from your hand to gain an additional effect, all examples have been creature buffs.

Dimir: Cipher: Exile this card "encoded" on a creature you control. whenever that creature deals damage to a player, you may cast a copy of the spell for free. Both examples have been identical.

Orzhov: Extort: Whenever you cast a spell, you may pay [W/B]. If you do, each opponent loses 1 life and you gain that much life.

Serifyn

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I really like Gruul's mechanic, the synergy to one of my favorite current cards; Vorapede is insane.

The fact that Dimir requires attacking is kind counter-productive to the Black/Blue Meta, obviously i've only seen one card, but its powerful enough that it will be expensive, the card which comes to mind is Invisible Stalker, as anything else will probably die instantly.

Im really interested in Boros, but i feel like Mass removal will decimate that deck easily.

Black is my Main color and i use Mutilate in almost every black deck, i can see mutilate devastating in constructed against Boros, Orzhov, Dimir and Simic.

Iggy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I really like Gruul's mechanic, the synergy to one of my favorite current cards; Vorapede is insane.

The fact that Dimir requires attacking is kind counter-productive to the Black/Blue Meta, obviously i've only seen one card, but its powerful enough that it will be expensive, the card which comes to mind is Invisible Stalker, as anything else will probably die instantly.

Im really interested in Boros, but i feel like Mass removal will decimate that deck easily.

Black is my Main color and i use Mutilate in almost every black deck, i can see mutilate devastating in constructed against Boros, Orzhov, Dimir and Simic.
I personally play EDH above all else so my opinions maybe slightly different than everyone else's, but evolve with proliferate in Experiment Kraj or Animar will be silly. Especially if they make a an aura that gives the enchanted creature evolve.

As far as Cipher goes, I can see mono-blue Cipher cards being used with Invisible Stalker or more specifically in Edric EDH.

I can see mono-white Battalion being completely retarded in Odric, Master Tactician EDH.

Gruul and Orzhov's new abilities I can't think of anything on the spot right now, seeing as I've never played those color combinations.

But Illusionist Bracers is completely "Why the fuck did you print this Wizards?!" At first I thought it applied to only activated abilities, but no, it even counts TRIGGERED abilities too. Let me list some things to equip this to off the top of my head:

• Memnarch
  • Psychosis Crawler
  • Zur, the Enchanter
  • Niv Mizzet (either)
  • Moltensteel Dragon

I know there's better options, but I'm not going to go fishing for evil combos with this new equip.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

yeah, its almost exactly the same as . Also a triggered ability is not an activated ability (activated abilities have an ), so your psycosis crawler doesn't really work there, i mean unless you use one of the many duplicate creature things like , or .

Also i think most people tend to play EDH because its not just a rush to combo off by turn 3 and instead you get to, you know, play the game. I know i only play edh or draft these days. If by the time you start using odric to abuse battalion, you've probably won anyway so i dont really see what it gets you (ps: for life).

Iggy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

So, working on building Xira Arien insect tribal EDH. Any recommendations?

Reactions: Roy

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

And many more

Points go to the token generators and the mortician beetles with a sacrificer like the husk though.

Iggy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

And many more

Points go to the token generators and the mortician beetles with a sacrificer like the husk though.
Yeah, I've got all them, also added in Chameleon Colossus and Creakwood Liege, and Skull Clamp REALLY helps when combo'd with Ant Queen. Also, I plan to do silly stuff with Pit Fight and Saber Ants.

Also, Cryptic Gateway.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

If you want to keep up the rediculous dont forget some old classics like ashnods altar.

Iggy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Indeed. Also, I'm working on creating rules pertaining to deck construction for tribal EDH. Here's what I have so far:

1. When creating a deck, the constructor must choose a creature type; This becomes the deck's "tribal identity."
  2. The deck's commander must be of the deck's tribal identity or contain one or more instances of the deck's tribal identity in its Oracle text.
  3. All creatures in the deck must be of the deck's tribal identity or contain one or more instances of the deck's tribal identity in its Oracle text.
  4. Each deck may contain up to five creatures exempt from Rule #3.
  5. If no valid commander exists satisfying the criteria established under Rule #2, another commander may be chosen not counting toward the five exceptions granted by Rule #4.
  6. Decks may contain no more than five mana-producing non-creature artifacts.
  7. Decks may contain no more than five instants and/or sorceries which contain no instances or the deck tribal identity in its Oracle text.
Tell me what you guys think.

Also, let me know if you have any suggestions for rules to help cut down on the overuse of "I NEED to run this" staples for instants and sorceries. Remember, staples belong in the office.

EDIT: Rule 7 was added after several rounds of testing.

Last edited:

Lurker
Reputation score

Indeed. Also, I'm working on creating rules pertaining to deck construction for tribal EDH. Here's what I have so far:

1. When creating a deck, the constructor must choose a creature type; This becomes the deck's "tribal identity."
  2. The deck's commander must be of the deck's tribal identity or contain one or more instances of the deck's tribal identity in its Oracle text.
  3. All creatures in the deck must be of the deck's tribal identity or contain one or more instances of the deck's tribal identity in its Oracle text.
  4. Each deck may contain up to five creatures exempt from Rule #3.
  5. If no valid commander exists satisfying the criteria established under Rule #2, another commander may be chosen not counting toward the five exceptions granted by Rule #4.
  6. Decks may contain no more than five mana-producing non-creature artifacts.
Tell me what you guys think.

Also, let me know if you have any suggestions for rules to help cut down on the overuse of "I NEED to run this" staples for instants and sorceries. Remember, staples belong in the office.
EDH doesn't really have staples as by the rules of the format you need 100 cards with no non-basic land repeats. You can stack your deck with Tutors and the like, but other than that I don't really see a way to rig that game, and any rules more limiting than the original set ought to be optional at best.

Iggy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

EDH doesn't really have staples as by the rules of the format you need 100 cards with no non-basic land repeats. You can stack your deck with Tutors and the like, but other than that I don't really see a way to rig that game, and any rules more limiting than the original set ought to be optional at best.
Yeah, but it does get tiring to see people using the same cards. And I'm not against Sol Ring, it just seems like it'd be more casual and cost-effective to take it out and add something that fits the theme of the deck more. Getting all the mana out early game is playing to win. In this format, I'm hoping to make it playing to win, but making it so everyone has a chance and not one player getting 8+ mana out turn one.

I would like to capture the essence of it feeling like the creatures are doing most of the work, and not having their parents buy them expensive toys to do everything for them, it just takes away from the experience. I want this to be Tribe vs Tribe (vs Tribe, etc...), Not Tribe vs Tribe vs Tribe + some other unrelated death ray from Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated -or- some completely unrelated creatures that don't benefit your chosen tribe at all and makes life irritating for everyone else.

Iggy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Sorry for double-post, but mark your calendars for November 1st, because EDH is going to become immensely retarded:

Lurker
Reputation score

I have never seen cards with effects in the command zone, and I imagine the entire format is going to shit it's pants over this for a short while.

In other news, it looks like green/white aggro is the way to go while drafting for a little bit.

Iggy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

So, I'm considering building a aggro deck which encourages my opponents to pitch away their non-creature spells to make 1/1 blockers, and then play . This is inspired by an actual 3 way EDH game I lost where two of us were pitching our stuff away to make birds to block Kalia and friends. And then Kalia introduced us to Massacre Wurm.