What's new

Media Players?

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score
Okay, enough. I have had it with Windows Media Player. It refuses to play my music, it has crappy playlist and library control, and it refuses to play my hentai.

I just spent two hours trying out various alternative programs I found including two M Player builds, VLC Player, Zoom Video, and two different Firefox plugins, all of which should apparently have worked. But it seems not, and I'm starting to despair.

All I want to do is listen to Scarlet eyes and watch Jiburiru. But apparently microsoft can't handle OGG or MKV files. So, I know it was discussed on the old forums at some point, but I've got to ask. What the hell are you guys watching this stuff in? Because I really need it.

T_T

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Media Players?

I think it's usually VLC with a codec pack. I couldn't tell you which one though, as I usually forget such information immediately after it stops being useful.

Lumarin

Lurker
Reputation score

I use VLC media player and then the K-Lite Codec Pack(Media Player Classic codecs), which runs everything that VLC can't.

pbird

Lurker
Reputation score

I use VLC and the CCCP (Combined Community Codec Pack). Haven't had any troubles.

Caulder

Is completely fucking irrelevant. And he's a bitch
RP Moderator
Reputation score

KLM codec pack, bundled with Media Player classic. As long as you run off a XP system, it should work. Even with the KLM, It seems to have installed to standard Windows Media Player. Try that codec pack, and then try Jiburiru. I couldn't watch that or demon queen until I installed that pack

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

i got media player classic with community codec pack. although winamp is pretty good to. just the stock features comes with a very good library.

Megamickel

Lurker
Reputation score

I'm using Winamp, but I have VLC installed (my friend installed it before he sold me the laptop).

Oh, did I mention I have a laptop now? Cuz it's kind of important.
Yeah, a laptop. Sweet. (10 points if you get the reference)

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Download the Combined Community codec pack, and VLC player. Windows Media player will play almost anything with the CCCP, and VLC will play anything else. Keep using WMP for music, I don't see what could be the problem with it (unless you're using a different version than I am.) VLC is better for videos because it has more options.

Lumarin

Lurker
Reputation score

VLC is better for videos because it has more options.
Hell yes. Did you know that you can use VLC to convert videos to different formats? Best thing ever.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

It can? I never knew that. And like Nunu I use Media Player Classic with the community codec pack. I also use VLC occasionally.

OP
Unknown Squid

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Success! Okay, after the recommendations I looked further into VLC Player, I'm happy to say I got it working properly this time. What was different I don't really know, but now I can dig up those old ogg files that didn't convert properly before, and listen to them as intended. Jiburiru played nicely too. Though for some reason the subtitles don't show still. I checked the video tool bar and it claimed English subtitles were enabled. After clicking them on, off and on again, and looking for other options that might effect it, no luck.

Thanks for the suggestions. For the music I might just look into WinAmp too, since I've heard good things about it before. Any tips on the subtitle issue?

It really seems strange to me that Microsoft don't want MediaPlayer to be as diverse as possible out of the box. Maybe I don't know better, but it can't be that hard. Isn't driving out the competition their speciality? Also who decided that Vista's explorer and image viewer program shouldn't support animated GIFs anymore? It just doesn't make any sense. -_-

I must apologise for my ranting in this thread, but you know how it can be when simple things just refuse to work when you need them.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

crap, I have a program for OGG files, its on one of my external hard drives, I'll check it out on the weekend for you and tell you then.

OP
Unknown Squid

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Hmm? Did I say that wrong. Don't worry Oni, VLC Player covers OGG files. I'm sorted for that issue now. Up till now I'd been using a special custom level in Knytt Stories to listen to them. It worked, and was actually quite cool to have a platformer based music browsing program, but I can't say it was the most practical way to listen to it. :p

Having to run into a new in game room to access each track... much fun. I just need to figure out why I'm not seeing the promised subtitles now.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Nah you didnt say that wrong, and Im not sure whats up with the subs not showing. I watched it in VLC first and it played alright. Did you DL the CCCP pack? If so try it in Media Player Classic, that should work.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

i had some problems with vlc, kept crashing and stuff, not to mention the subtitles overlapping in some situations. as a player media player classic just seems to be better.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Ah yes, I had that too Nunu, I think they're called soft subs or something. At least thats what my friend called them anyway. For that Media Player Classic is best.