What's new

Newbie needs help with making a 2D ACT Game like Bullet Requiem

thetruesteven

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Lurker for several Years now, and finally decided to give something back. Game makers like Vosmug and Grimhelm gave me the Inspiration that even a western game maker can do something on its own, and dont need a group to accomplish that. Currently i have a lot of unused time on my hand and decided to give it a shot. The most important part is the art in my opinion, but also programming a 2D Game which has fun gameplay with several interactions would be quite a challenge. Unity should be quite good for that. I dont have much experience with programming or making Art, but im quite the perfectionist and always try to polish it over and over again till im confident enough to show it.

So my question is: Where should i start? What do i need? Does anybody has the same Idea as me, and want to teamup or give me tips?

barreytor

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score
The best tip I can give you is: Break it up in small chunks
When it comes to programming, find out what you want the end result to be, figure out the parts that need to be there so that it works like you want, and then split them up in the smallest possible pieces.
That way every little bit will be a milestone, and although it'll look like a lot of work ahead of you, it'll be really far less than if you just jumped and started on all fronts.

Oh, yeah, also make sure you check out the different available engines and choose whichever might be the best for you. Unity is powerful, but I don't think it's newbie-friendly enough.

OP
T

thetruesteven

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Thanks for the helpful answer!
Unity is really userfriendly with the amount of support you can get (YouTube has so many completed tutorials for game making) while other lack that. I think that even its out, and is better for the future.

barreytor

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score
Well, if you're sure about using Unity, now you just have to figure out what you want in your game and how you're going to get there.