What's new

Pheonix's Thread (Pheonix Alugere)

OP
wallpaper

wallpaper

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Pheonix's Thread (Pheonix Alugere)

"Ah, I see," Falia had nodded along with Pheonix's explanation. When the request came out, she grinned. "Chocolate, now that's a popular one. Of course." Adding that to her short list, she quirked a brow. "Two weeks-worth of basic rations, with a side of chocolate?" 'That's it?' she didn't ask. Pheonix could probably get away with one more request, if she wanted!

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

Yes, ma'am. That's all I can think of for now. Maybe next time I come in and have had the time to get myself set up around here I'll know more of what to ask for. Pheonix replies, she didn't want to push it too much now. Besides, if she could get a reputation of not asking for much, maybe some time when she did want or need something big Mistress Falia would be more inclined to let her have it.

OP
wallpaper

wallpaper

Lurker
Reputation score

"As you wish," the demon replied, expression quirked in a wry grin. "Keep in mind that your rewards reflect what you're able to bring to me." If that wasn't a 'try for twins!' sort of statement, it was hard to get any blunter without coming right out and saying it. "Have you ever been teleported, Pheonix?" Falia asked, changing the topic. Teleportation was somewhat common amongst dragons and demons, though humans would have little access to it unless they were closely allied to the greater people.

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

Uh, no ma'am. I've only ever traveled by foot or ship. Pheonix says, intrigued and excited by what she is hoping she is about to experience.

OP
wallpaper

wallpaper

Lurker
Reputation score

"Well then, you're in for a treat. A short one, but a treat none the less." Falia stood, couching her documents under her arm. "You'll be dropped off at the nest where you came from, your supplies will be with you when you arrive."

Placing a hand upon Pheonix's shoulder, the demon Mistress cast one last smile upon her slave, and then... well... something happened. It was hard to parse; first Pheonix was in bed in the creche, and then for about a half a second, everything became jumbled, impossible to process sight, sound, touch... and then the woman was in the cavern known as the nest. Not only that, but a package was bundled together at her feet, simple rations (quite a few of them) along with Pheonix's extra requests all wrapped up.

The change in location was also followed by a change in light -- here, everything had a dusky (or maybe dawn-like) dim glow, and activity in the cavern was mostly quiet. There were definitely far fewer people and daemons moving around, even if Pheonix could spot some!

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

That was neat! Well, first things first. Pheonix thinks before unwrapping the parcel with her new clothes. Examining them, she feels the fabric before pulling them on. In the process she checks to make sure she knows how to quickly unsecure the flaps. Next, she picks up her bundle of rations and starts moving around the area, looking for either a place she could sleep or for Ozen, to ask the other woman if Nest was letting her stay and where she should set herself up in the cavern if she could.

OP
wallpaper

wallpaper

Lurker
Reputation score

While Pheonix didn't find Ozen immediately, nor the cavern's patron, she did catch sight of what looked like a swarm of strange little creatures streaming noisily in through the cavern's entrance, up to the ceiling where more of their kind were already curled up to roost. One broke free of the chaotic formation, buzzed around Pheonix a few times as if inspecting her and, apparently not finding what it wanted, rejoined the flock.

After that, Pheonix began to see some more activity. Several humans were up and about up on this tier of the cavern, some gathered around a fire and yawning blearily -- so it must be morning, not evening! One of them, a human man, noticed Pheonix in her alluring, shiny new suit and with a big bundle in her arms and altered his course to meet her. As he got closer, Pheonix could see that a creature not unlike Ozen's Hunt was curled over the man's shoulders, though it was much smaller -- maybe an arm's length in total. "Hey, stranger, did you just come from the creche?" He seemed jovial enough, considering that it must be fairly early in the morning. "Did Nest allow you in here, or are you lost?"

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

Uh, yes on the creche, but I don't know if Nest is ok with me staying here or not. I was taking a test with her to do so, but I fell asleep and woke in the creche immediately afterwords. I was hoping to either find someone to help me talk to Nest or somewhere to wait until I was able to do so. I don't suppose you'd be willing to help me talk to Nest? She says before pointing to the man's bond, The woman who originally brought me here, Ozen, said that Nest could only talk to daemons and that her bond could hear Nest for her. Oh, and my name is Pheonix. She finishes.

OP
wallpaper

wallpaper

Lurker
Reputation score

The man listened through her words patiently, then replied, "Flaqus," by way of introduction. "If you want Nest, you'll have to head down to the lagoon -- she tends to sleep down that way. I can show you, for sure." Smiling at the redhead, he added, "of course Ozen would be the first woman you meet, here. She has a way of sniffing out good candidates. This is Spur, by the way," he introduced the daemon about his neck. The creature, apparently less shy than Hunt, lifted its head to regard Pheonix, though it was hard to tell how it was seeing her, given that it didn't have eyes!

Holding his hand out to point to a path that sloped down from this tier to the next, he began ambling that direction, eyes half on the ground and half on Pheonix. "How things usually work around here is, if you're planning on sleeping here and calling this place your home, whenever you gain packages like that," he pointed to her bundle, "the patron adds them to a cache so that everyone gets a share... it's kind of a trade-off for shelter and always having someone at your back." Pausing, then chuckling, he added, "or on your back, Spur wants to say."

As they went down two tiers, the bare stone floor was replaced by what seemed like a tropical jungle. The temperature was even warmer down here than it was up around where Pheonix had seen humans gathering, and tree trunks loomed on either side of the path they were taking. She could see movement in both the trees and the underbrush, though she couldn't make out what was doing the moving! Flaqus was continuing, "if you end up on your own, it's good to ask for a bag to carry your belongings... you can tell who's a drifter by how much they're carrying with them."

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

I'll keep that in mind. Um, what sort of things do people normally bring to put in the cache. Humans and daemons probably have different tastes in some areas. Pheonix says, hoping that they won't mind what she asked for this time. She didn't know she was supposed to bring anything.

OP
wallpaper

wallpaper

Lurker
Reputation score

"General rations are good," Flaqus told her, "if you want fresh food, you could probably ask for just about anything. Nest allows us to choose from the cache what we want, so variety is going to get you into the good books faster." Glancing at her new suit appreciatively, he continued, "bolts of cloth for clothing are nice, or if you have anyone specifically in mind, Falia has a weird way with knowing everyone's measurements."

As they drew down to the last tier, Pheonix found that a light mist coated the ground, and that the smell of water was stronger here. Trees loomed over them and over the dark lagoon that was just beyond. "Furnishing... well, comfortable nest-building material is a plus for most of the smaller daemons, and they seem to like places to hang or perch or warm themselves, depending on who you ask. You could even ask for seedlings to add to this big garden." Flaqus shrugged. "Nest could tell you better what we're in need of, though I'm sure that you could take anything back and someone would find a use for it, somehow."

Now they were standing at the edge of the lagoon. Spur took the opportunity to uncoil itself from Flaqus' shoulders and drop into the dark water, at which point it swam along the surface for a meter or so, and then disappeared with a small ripple. "She's probably still sleeping," Flaqus noted. "Hope she's not a grumpy earlier riser."

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

So, basic rations and chocolate is fine for now? She says motioning to her package. She wasn't that fond of giving up the chocolate, but she wanted to stay here, and it was second compared to the suit. She then starts watching the water for movement.

OP
wallpaper

wallpaper

Lurker
Reputation score

"Ooh, chocolate," Flaqus smiled warmly, "if you're willing to give it up, you'll make yourself some friends, I'm sure."

They didn't have to wait long, it appeared. Spur had come to the surface again and was swimming quickly back to the two humans, making good time in the water. It slithered up onto the ground, around Flaqus' leg, and reached his shoulders again in no time flat. The man, chuckling at first at the sensation and complaining that Spur was getting him all wet, stopped mid-sentence as a shiny, flat black shape rose like the tip of an iceburg in the water. "Oh, there she is."

He remained quiet for a moment, perhaps inspiring Pheonix to expect that she needed to speak first, but then he told her, "Nest says 'welcome back', though you could have chosen a better time to return."

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

Uh, tell Nest sorry about that. This was just when Mistress Falia sent me back. Could you ask her if I passed her test? Pheonix says, trying to confirm if she was allowed to stay without being rude.

OP
wallpaper

wallpaper

Lurker
Reputation score

The daemon in the water inched forward a little, leaving ripples in her wake. She didn't seem particularly interested in coming out any further than she already was, however.

Flaqus nodded, then replied for Nest, "she says with flying colours." Grinning, the man added, "she says that for a newcomer, she's actually glad to have you... and that she finds your current garments rather suiting." Tilting his head slightly, brows raised, he seemed a little surprised. "Oh, well then. Nest said that she would be honored if you wished to attend the latest clutch of bonders. That doesn't happen with newcomers very often. She... also said that if you want a space of your own, you have only to ask Ozen -- she's in charge of the human quarters. You can keep your current stash if you want, or contribute it to the cavern's supplies." Flaqus cast a little longing glance at Pheonix's pile of wrapped chocolate, but didn't add in his own two cents.

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

Thank you. Pheonix says, before replying to the request, I would be happy to attend, I'd just need to know where. Also, where are the supplies store? I'd like to keep a few of the chocolates, but I wouldn't mind sharing the rest. She says, as she moves a few of the chocolates to her bundle of general rations while keeping the larger grouping separate.

OP
wallpaper

wallpaper

Lurker
Reputation score

Pheonix could see Nest's 'head' disappear under the water again, just as Flaqus told her, "Nest says that I can take care of that, and if you want to visit her again, please do it when it isn't so early in the morning." He was grinning, apparently editing out some choice words. "I can point you towards both. I take it that Ozen explained bonding to you already, huh?"

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

Probably I should drop some of these off first. Pheonix says gesturing towards the bundle of chocolates, Then maybe you could show me to the clutch. As for knowing what bonds are, I only really have a few guesses. I know that they basically hang around and can share thoughts with you, and judging by the closeness, it's probably some sort of symbiotic relationship? Also, without a friend like one of them, I'd probably be unable to even communicate with with most others in the cavern. Do you think you could give me a better idea though?

OP
wallpaper

wallpaper

Lurker
Reputation score

"Of course!" Flaqus answered, referring to both of Pheonix's requests. "Back up the path, we keep our stash in the middle tier." Leading her through the forested path and up to the third of the five tiers, Flaqus tried his best to answer her questions. "It's a little hard to explain it in words... it's not just thoughts as much as feelings. It can be useful," he grinned, "at least if you've not got other sources of entertainment." He laughed as Spur stuck its head (or tail, it was hard to tell) in his ear, apparently teasing him.

"Daemons come a little imbalanced," he explained on a more serious note, "probably to make up for the fact that they look like just about anything. Something in their head goes a little funny, sometimes, if they latch on to someone and that someone disappears or shuns 'em. I'm pretty sure it happens with all of them, though in the bonding types, they just make their intention known right from the start. In return, they work like an extra pair of eyes and ears and nose, sometimes for things that we wouldn't expect."

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

Sounds like having them could be really good. But, while we're on the subject of various daemons: the trees and underbrush from earlier. Were they moving because of daemons in them or are they daemons? Pheonix asks, although a tree with hanging vines wouldn't be completely like home, it would be closer than most places in these caves.