What's new

Question about creating H-Games

DarkZone

Reputation score
Hey guys,

recently i was thinking about creating my own game, but there is like one thing that stops me from doing it.

And its basically my English, its just terrible. So i've decided to ask you guys, would you still play a bad written H-Game? Or would it be just wasted effort?

ɹǝʞoſ

Sex Demon
Reputation score
Re: Question about creating H-Games

Hey guys,

recently i was thinking about creating my own game, but there is like one thing that stops me from doing it.

And its basically my English, its just terrible. So i've decided to ask you guys, would you still play a bad written H-Game? Or would it be just wasted effort?
As someone who plays a lot of H-games that are in Japanese, you'd think I wouldn't care about spelling and such in H-games but that's actually wrong. If the original language is English and it's filled with nothing but bad English I will find it annoying and almost kind of a turn-off. Considering this is a game that is meant to be written and read in English, it would just come off as unprofessional and even maybe childish (hence why I'd see it as almost a turn off). I am not criticising you for having poor English and this is just my opinion but if you're going through the time and effort of making an H-game, you might as well spend some time scouting for someone willing to look over the writing (some people would probably be ok to do it for free). You wouldn't want your H-game to be ruined and ridiculed just because grammar and spelling aren't your forte.

Dasher2417

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

If you feel really dedicated to doing this, I'd recommend you get some volunteer friend who can write decent English, and could translate it for you :) Or write yourself, and make someone with good grammar proofread it, and fix all the errors.

juzotogo

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I find bad english often pulls me out of a game.

But you know, there are stories you could make with next to no dialogue... of course this would be limiting.

I'm guessing you'd loose a good portion of your audience on just this aspect.

Obscure

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Words sell for cheap these days. It shouldn't cost too much to pick up a hack fanfic author.

Jesus

The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Write what you need to write, and have a native English speaker give it a second and third pass. I'd happily be your spell/grammar check.

fauk

Reputation score

Hey guys,

I have to say it depends. There are some Games out there that I enjoyed even though the English was shit or straight out of google translate. So I would say if the quality of the game in gerneral is good you should definitely go for it.

milkysofts

Demon Girl
Reputation score

bad language may make the game not as good as it should but don't let it stop you from making it, I guess.

Darktoz

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I would still play it, if the rest is good. My english isn't the best, either. You should just do it!
See it as a journey. Start slow, by writing simple sentences. Read news articles in english, watch anime and movies in english. Keep improving day by day and you will be able to write simple dialogues in no time. English isn't the most difficult language in the world, and most people underestimate how quick they can get good in a language when they put time and effort into it.

satoshi1

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Give it a go. No harm in trying. You do need to get it checked by an editor for errors. You can always get a player to help with catching those. Not sure what you'll do for cg though.

hrpgheaven

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Hey guys,

He says without making a single spelling mistake and just a couple minor grammar ones.

Yes, make a game, if you're so worried, get someone that spellchecks for free, I get a lot of offers from people who'd do it on mine for free.

TheWorst

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I've ran into kind of same issue, and couldn't really find decent writers to fix that.
But then again, yes...If you're planning on releasing your game in english you may want it proofread, to say the least.

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

if you find issues with english then make a game that doesn't require much text is what I say. plenty of action games or puzzle games could do with some smutting

deepsleep

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I have played games with bad english, but if everything else is ok, then I don't care. It's nice to have less mistakes though. Also you will learn english while making your game.

Paladox

Tentacle God
Reputation score

As long as there's not too much to read then it usually doesn't bother me. Even a well written text dump is painful to go through. Just remember to keep it short and to the point.

Sometimes in Violated Heroine the unreadable Japanese is more preferable than the English translation, especially during an H event that you enjoyed more when you thought they were saying something else. :p

NRT.MHA

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Hey guys,

Don't do a visual novel :)
But action or rpg game maybe is more easy.

Mindshard_Dev

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Beating a dead horse here, but definitely look into having a friend or just a commissioned writer/editor help bring your dream to life! For me, writing matters almost as much as artwork!

OP
D

DarkZone

Reputation score

I have just read all your replies, and I've decided to create my own Game! I will try my best to break the language barrier :)! Thank you guys for helping me!

Porkbunny

Demon Girl
Reputation score

haha don't worry, there are many games out there developed by russian/german/france etc.. creators filled with a lot of grammatical and spelling errors, yet they earn a decent amount of money without any problem. for instance this game
he even admitted that

"There are sooo many grammar and spelling errors!
I am not a nativ english speaking person ( i am from Germany >_<)"

and guess what he earns currently $995. so no the grammar isn't a big problem, spelling isn't even a big problem, as long as the story makes sense, and not a bunch of gibberish I guess you will be fine, but a well written story is obviously helpful in earning more money and attracting more people to your games. Also, I guess there is a trade off between the visual and the story, if you could develop a game with high quality visual, then story isn't a big problem as long it isn't that very poor, but if the story is poorly written then you have to fill that gap with something like incest contents that most of the people demand, high quality visuals, something that most of people are into like a trend or old school style etc.. you have to find the right balance, if you are good at something, but bad at another, then use the skills that you are good at to polish the game, if it's possible perhaps you can also use someone else like a fan or a hired person to polish the game with the area that you are bad at. I am quite sure that if you could attract a lot of people, and if you kept releasing the updates regularly with a reasonable amount of contents , you can find a dozens of fans to improve your game FOR FREE.! I usually call them errand boys, not to degrade them. believe or not they are so helpful and you should definitely appreciate their works.

Karissataylor6

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I wouldn't have a problem with it. But as mentioned, you could always look for an accurate translator.