What's new

RPGMaker VX Ace Question

R

Ryka

No negreps!!!!!!

I got a question. I have an RPG compiled up on RPGMaker VX. I am wondering though, can I import all my data, BGM, character, etc. files into their respective folders in my RPGMaker VX Ace project?

UrineOnU

Cthulhu
Reputation score
Re: RPGMaker VX Ace Question

There is a program that does the conversion for your data files and also moves your artwork and music from a vx project to vx ace. If you have any custom scripts though they will not work in ace because they changed quite a bit in how they functioned in ace.

You need to also add the small script before main for it to be completely functional.

OP
R

Ryka

It has a few flaws that can be corrected in the database editor, but all in all, it worked. Thank you!

EDIT: RPGMaker VX Ace does not support the midi file format. That is more of a downgrade than an upgrade....

Last edited:
OP
R

Ryka

Double post. It would seem that attacking breaks the game. I try to attack but I get an error that reads

Script 'Game_Battler' line 366: NoMethodError occurred.

Undefind method `>' for nil:NilClass

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

No method error, in programming terms, mean that the game is calling a method on a class (in programming terms, not game terms) that the class doesn't have. I don't know how deep RPGMaker goes with forcing people to learn programming, or even what language it's in, but if you look at the appropriate line you'll find out what class is missing what method, at least. Whether or not you can figure out how to fix it from there is up to you.

OP
R

Ryka

It must be the fault of the converter. I have successfully fixed most of everything besides this error. The converter script, as posted above, handles the Game_BattlerBase script. It must have messed with Game_Battler in a way I am unfamiliar with.

Line 366 of Game_Battler reads

if item.damage.element_id < 0

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

It's trying to get a value from the item class that the class isn't set up to give via that method, which is technically calling a global variable instead of a method but meh. You have to check the class and figure it out. It could be as simple as capitalization or punctuation being off, but usually when you're converting from one library (or program in this case) to another and you get an error, fixing the error will cause a bunch of new errors that are harder to fix.

You might be better off changing the line in Game_Battler to whatever the new variable for the same thing is, though I don't know exactly how the class structure works in RPG Maker or what language it's using/emulating. Editing library files is usually not a great plan, since those often don't get exported with projects and instead get called from run times that are expected to be on the system like java or the RPG Maker runtime packages, which won't have whatever changes you've made in them on other people's computers.

OP
R

Ryka

I sort of fixed it. I have a custom enemy called "Derp Goomba" and they're.... sort of partially fixed. Since the converter author specifically stated it doesn't port special code, it's fine. (They were set to space out for a turn sometimes)

All I did was change the 0 to a 1. I don't know what manner of chaos this will cause though.

Edit: Guarding now causes a Shockwave move another enemy is supposed to do to the opponent.... and then it crashes with the same problem.

Last edited:
OP
R

Ryka

Another bump. Since tweaking the line to say 1, then back to 0, then to 2, then back to 0 again experimentally, it no longer crashes, but causes total chaos in the battling system.

1.) Attacking does damage to enemies as normal, but there is no way to do a single attack in the database

2.) Enemies don't do anything at all

3.) Potions are expected to do damage to the player, which is always 0.

4.) Guarding unleashes a "shockwave" attack that unevenly distributes between one or all enemies and then crashes the game with the NoMethod stated above.

I have a feeling that it is time to do this over from scratch, with the default settings, but using my resources as well...

This shouldn't really happen, now should it, RPGMaker?

EDIT: I have noticed that the database is all screwy squirrelly. This is mostly the reason why potions don't do as they should and moves crash. I managed to make guard not crash, but it still uses Shockwave instead of guarding now. And every player attack, even all encompassing ones, do two hits each.

ONE MORE EDIT: It seems that the basic attack has an error in the database. One I cannot really manage well.

Script '(eval)' line 1: NoMethodError occured.

undefined method `type=' for #<Hash:0x6a10bc>

Last edited:
OP
R

Ryka

Last bump. I have found workarounds for this, according to the author of the conversion code. Skills 1 and 2 are Attack and Defend respectively. The conversion had VX's old skill layout translated in, which confused the system. The old attack mode is even erroneous. But according to the FAQ, I am to keep these erroneous attacks for the notetags.

But I did find a workaround, and things are turning out fine. A lot of database content is mixed up though, but easily fixable.

UrineOnU

Cthulhu
Reputation score

I didn't think I'd make things so messy but at least it's working out for you so far.

If you ever have something you really need help with and you really get stuck, they're tons support forums for RPG Maker out there.It sometimes takes some time to track down the problem depending on how well you word it, so it's better to describe the problem thoroughly, it'll get solved very quickly that way.

You could also just give the forum a search for a similar problem to your own, lots of times it's already been solved.