What's new

What would be a fair price to pay someone to do a manual partial translation? (Menu, Settings, Items, etc.)

Oir

Reputation score
Hello all!

This is way way way far down the line but I'll eventually be looking for someone to help me out with a partial translation for a game I'm working on.
I'd be looking for a manual translation, no MTL which I'd be willing to pay for. I'm not looking to penny pinch or cheat anyone and want to pay a fair price for it.

For a translation of no dialogue (just menus, settings, items, statuses, etc. that kinda stuff) what would be a fair market rate to pay someone?
I know it varies depending on exactly how many words but I'm just looking for a ball park for an average scope game with no dialogue.

Thanks all!

(Also, if any devs have had good experiences with any translators, I'd love some recommendations. Again, this is WAY far down the line though.)

Bryanis

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
Hello all!

This is way way way far down the line but I'll eventually be looking for someone to help me out with a partial translation for a game I'm working on.
I'd be looking for a manual translation, no MTL which I'd be willing to pay for. I'm not looking to penny pinch or cheat anyone and want to pay a fair price for it.

For a translation of no dialogue (just menus, settings, items, statuses, etc. that kinda stuff) what would be a fair market rate to pay someone?
I know it varies depending on exactly how many words but I'm just looking for a ball park for an average scope game with no dialogue.

Thanks all!

(Also, if any devs have had good experiences with any translators, I'd love some recommendations. Again, this is WAY far down the line though.)
Price would depend on the translator. Some use trad tool and edit it to make it good English, other are fluent in both language.
And yeah, it depend on the quantity of stuff to translate.

It may also depend on the translator country, since the same amout doesn't represent the same value depending of the country.

If you take the riches countries in Europe / America, you might start around 8 - 10 $ per hour of work as standard wokring hour salary (since you look at a direct pay change of hand without tax). If the game don't have much stuff you can look at 1 - 2 hours work for it.
Biggest game could much longer. But Fan translator might also be ready to get pay less for a work (or on the opposite more :p).

But honestly, that'll be a direct dealing between you and the transalor. Just keep in mind an average working / hour salary and the estemated time to do the work and start from here.

OP
Oir

Oir

Reputation score
Price would depend on the translator. Some use trad tool and edit it to make it good English, other are fluent in both language.
And yeah, it depend on the quantity of stuff to translate.

It may also depend on the translator country, since the same amout doesn't represent the same value depending of the country.

If you take the riches countries in Europe / America, you might start around 8 - 10 $ per hour of work as standard wokring hour salary (since you look at a direct pay change of hand without tax). If the game don't have much stuff you can look at 1 - 2 hours work for it.
Biggest game could much longer. But Fan translator might also be ready to get pay less for a work (or on the opposite more :p).

But honestly, that'll be a direct dealing between you and the transalor. Just keep in mind an average working / hour salary and the estemated time to do the work and start from here.
That's a good way of looking at it. I'll start from there, thank you very much!

Dercry

Reputation score
Since you said that you are translating, I guess you have already hack into the game files and extracted the text, images, buttons and so on, If so your best option is diccionary there are alredy a bunch of them for jap games options, all the translator that only thanslate Menus used them, like nekohen or vnrpg even Translator++ has already one included.
I am genuinely curious which game you are translating, I would like to help, not interested in the pay but the game
But if you really want to pay someone you should do it by "words translated" not hour.

Emerald_Gladiator

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
Depending on the game (and my amount of free time), I could volunteer to do a partial.

OP
Oir

Oir

Reputation score
Since you said that you are translating, I guess you have already hack into the game files and extracted the text, images, buttons and so on, If so your best option is diccionary there are alredy a bunch of them for jap games options, all the translator that only thanslate Menus used them, like nekohen or vnrpg even Translator++ has already one included.
I am genuinely curious which game you are translating, I would like to help, not interested in the pay but the game
But if you really want to pay someone you should do it by "words translated" not hour.
Sorry I think I wasn't clear. I'm developing a game myself and am thinking in the long term about how I'd handle translation as a developer.
Thank you for the advice though!

Depending on the game (and my amount of free time), I could volunteer to do a partial.
That's really kind of you! I'll keep that in mind although like I said, this is a long way's down the horizon.
Thank you a ton for even having that as a possibility though, I really appreciate it!

badluck

Reputation score
I think you should try to think with hours of work.
If the translation take 10 hours, and you pay 8$ / hour, the translation will cost 80$
(it's just an example )

Emerald_Gladiator

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
That's really kind of you! I'll keep that in mind although like I said, this is a long way's down the horizon.
Thank you a ton for even having that as a possibility though, I really appreciate it!
I am sorry, about what languages do we speak in translation? Apart from English
I think that's my next question as well. What language are you trying to convert into English?
I'm a fan-translator, and while I'm not a fluent Japanese speaker, that's usually from which I translate into English.
Otherwise, I'm not a polyglot or anything, so if you're looking for a Hindi-English or Sanskrit-English translation, you'd probably have a harder time with your request, lol.

tealsack

Reputation score
Find a long time individual/group from e-hentai with good standing, and ask them to translate if you have the text extracted. I personally wouldn't pay anyone else. 99% of the people that translate use MTLs. Otherwise your other option to do it for free is post the extracted text asking for a tl on 4chan. In one of their many threads regarding JP, or VN translations. And hope someone does it there.