What's new

Win10 Unzipping Japanese Game Files

hirosan1337

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Hi, I recently upgraded my computer to Windows 10. There doesn't appear to be any problems running games, but the issue I'm having is extracting files while keeping the Japanese characters intact.

I can't remember how but I had a Japanese Locale tooltip I could run on programs back on win7. I used that on an say 7zip and it worked for all the Japanese game files I had. I'm told Windows 10 doesn't have that applocale feature however.

Things I've tried:
I found this Locale Emulator tool but I can't get it to work (or it's just I don't know how) for 7zip.
I also found an older ntlea exe but that doesn't seem to work.

Is there anything else I can try? The last resort would be to switch my system locale to Japanese, but I'd like to avoid that as best as I can.
Thanks.

Bryanis

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
So, Applocale isn't supported by microsoft since even before win 10, so you can't use it on win 10 (even if you found some old version).

You can try using local emulator - download & install it (you need to have asian language pack installer), after that, found the exe that start your uncompressing software (winrar.exe or winzip.exe), and right click on it => you should have a tab local emulator => start using japanese setting.
Once you have the software running with LE, use the menu to select an archive to uncompress and do it.

Alternatively, for zip file, you got a free software called sijunzip (although I don't have win 10 so I can't be certain it work on win 10).
Drag&drop a ziip file on it, if you got a recent zip software it should manage to uncompress the archive with all the correct name. Sadly it don't handle multiple part file or password protected file.

But the best way is to hav eyour computer set to japanese local setting.

zipetya

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
Or, you know, just use WinRAR... :)
(You need to change the codepage WinRAR uses under 'Options', to #932 (SJIS) first. But you can leave it at that.) I used to think that sjisunzip was the only way without locale set, too.

OP
H

hirosan1337

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Appreciate the help.

For Locale Emulator, I can't get a tab for some .exes (7zip/winrar). I'm not sure if there's a setting to make it so.

Thanks for the info on winrar -- that worked perfectly. I didn't know you could do this.