What's new

[Vosmug] Ghost Hunter Vena

Status
Not open for further replies.

Byzantine2014

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Re: Ghost Hunter Vena (Vosmug)

I've actually tried to talk him into this a few times; he REALLY doesn't like marketing or having a Patreon as he feels in both instances, he basically would feel like he has to live up to whatever hype/expectations marketing or a Patreon would bring, as he prefers to get stuff done on his own time, etc.

Sad though, I'd def. support him on Patreon too :)
Yeah, he likes going at his own pace without deadlines, plus we don't know how much free time he's got or if he'd be willing to switch to part or even full time for making games.

Besides, some of his fans/supporters/people who post on his site are a little.... demanding, with no patience or understanding as well. Though having to actually pay might boot some of the trolls off. Eh, he's not gonna do it anyhow.

hrpgheaven

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I've actually tried to talk him into this a few times; he REALLY doesn't like marketing or having a Patreon as he feels in both instances, he basically would feel like he has to live up to whatever hype/expectations marketing or a Patreon would bring, as he prefers to get stuff done on his own time, etc.

Sad though, I'd def. support him on Patreon too :)
I know a lot of people like that too, and not only game creators, translators also.

Yeah, he likes going at his own pace without deadlines, plus we don't know how much free time he's got or if he'd be willing to switch to part or even full time for making games.

Besides, some of his fans/supporters/people who post on his site are a little.... demanding, with no patience or understanding as well. Though having to actually pay might boot some of the trolls off. Eh, he's not gonna do it anyhow.
This ^

The bolded part, he would attract a different crowd and I think he has talent to make some serious bucks full time.

Jesus

The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

imo patreon shouldnt = 'make game faster'. if i were in his position and needed money id put up a patreon and explain that it would still be developed at the same rate, that way nobody would have the right to get salty because they mismanaged their own expectations. itd be there for those who want to contribute, not to expedite the creation of the game unless it reached the point where it pays as much as a living wage, which is unlikely given the circumstances. anyway thats if it were me but its not so idunno

OP
S

ShittyWizard

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Depends on the funding really. If his fans give him enough money that he can work full time on the game they will demand quicker updates.

Rsync

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Patreon or kickstarters usually generate conflicts and lock-you-down into an annoying deadline. While it has a good benefits for both parties, it can make things worse depending on devs.

If you wonder why somebody doesn't want to use patreon or that kickstarter thingy, maybe they develop their games for fun? Things get different when you are doing something for fun, not doing it for money. Also most of devs/translator who doing it without money influence usually does better job at it.

*edited because shit - you need money to develop games, but influence is different things

Last edited:

Vinceras

Formerly Havokor
Reputation score

ahhhh finally found the thread. Downloaded the demo a few days ago and played through it until you get the wings and couldn't figure out what to do from there. Cheers to all the ones above who have answered that.

Great demo so far...high quality work as usual. Only gripe is that sometimes the controls feel a little unresponsive and slow...so when you've got ghosts flying around you becoming attackable for like .2 seconds, it's sometimes a little difficult to fight off multiple enemies. Other than that, fantastic demo so far!

HentaiWriter

Tentacle God
Reputation score

If you wonder why somebody doesn't want to use patreon or that kickstarter thingy, maybe they develop their games for fun? Things get different when you are doing something for fun, not doing it for money. Also most of devs/translator who doing it without money usually does better job at it.
There's a problem with that statement;

Making a game is a large undertaking. As in, thousands upon thousands of hours. (Unless you're making a really, REALLY short game, or a really crappy one, and in both cases those still take a solid chunk of time.)

So, there are only three types of people who can undertake such a thing;

A) People who are loaded money-wise from their primary job, and are working on the game bit by bit, as they have to focus on their primary job, so the game takes an eternity to come out

B) People who are loaded money-wise from inheritance or retirement or some other form of money that doesn't require any actual working, so they can focus on the game primarily without the worry of money (AFAIK I don't know anyone who makes hentai games that this falls under)

C) People who are not loaded money-wise and need to get paid to make the game, otherwise they'd have to devote their time to other projects to keep afloat.

In all three cases, there's no evidence showing that "not getting paid = better product". The people who are currently sitting on huge amounts of money on Patreon without making much progress are just bad at working and keeping motivated, and they'd be the same without money as well.

Someone who actually doesn't like taking advantage of others (as in a decent human being) would actually work HARDER the more they'd be getting paid and being taken care of financially, but unfortunately, many people nowadays don't want to adhere to that.

(Also, as you said, getting paid usually creates deadlines, but that doesn't mean that MONEY is what causes games to be bad, but DEADLINES and rushing things intentionally is what causes them to be bad, and whether you're getting paid money or not, people can fall victim to deadlines as well as poor planning of how long it'll take them to do stuff, and of course sicknesses and so forth.)

The same goes for translating games/comics; these are massive undertakings, but in most cases, translating games/comics is generally to get them to the western populace, and therefore they're being posted and distributed illegally, so in a lot of cases these people do this for free because they literally cannot get paid for it legally.

(Or case A or B applies above.)

Last edited:

Rsync

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

There's a problem with that statement;

Making a game is a large undertaking. As in, thousands upon thousands of hours. (Unless you're making a really, REALLY short game, or a really crappy one, and in both cases those still take a solid chunk of time.)

So, there are only three types of people who can undertake such a thing;

A) People who are loaded money-wise from their primary job, and are working on the game bit by bit, as they have to focus on their primary job, so the game takes an eternity to come out

B) People who are loaded money-wise from inheritance or retirement or some other form of money that doesn't require any actual working, so they can focus on the game primarily without the worry of money (AFAIK I don't know anyone who makes hentai games that this falls under)

C) People who are not loaded money-wise and need to get paid to make the game, otherwise they'd have to devote their time to other projects to keep afloat.

In all three cases, there's no evidence showing that "not getting paid = better product". The people who are currently sitting on huge amounts of money on Patreon without making much progress are just bad at working and keeping motivated, and they'd be the same without money as well.

Someone who actually doesn't like taking advantage of others (as in a decent human being) would actually work HARDER the more they'd be getting paid and being taken care of financially, but unfortunately, many people nowadays don't want to adhere to that.

(Also, as you said, getting paid usually creates deadlines, but that doesn't mean that MONEY is what causes games to be bad, but DEADLINES and rushing things intentionally is what causes them to be bad, and whether you're getting paid money or not, people can fall victim to deadlines as well as poor planning of how long it'll take them to do stuff, and of course sicknesses and so forth.)

The same goes for translating games/comics; these are massive undertakings, but in most cases, translating games/comics is generally to get them to the western populace, and therefore they're being posted and distributed illegally, so in a lot of cases these people do this for free because they literally cannot get paid for it legally.

(Or case A or B applies above.)
I've just realised that I forgot 'money influence' in my statement, god that was retarded of me

Spastus

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Another one, people with half time jobs and living with their parents have good enough free time without too much financial pressure.

so when you've got ghosts flying around you becoming attackable for like .2 seconds, it's sometimes a little difficult
Are you playing the old version? the latest one has a ton of invincibility time.

Vinceras

Formerly Havokor
Reputation score

Another one, people with half time jobs and living with their parents have good enough free time without too much financial pressure.

Are you playing the old version? the latest one has a ton of invincibility time.
Yeah...that's what I'm saying. You're fighting multiple enemies and they are invincible for most of the fight and when they do turn tangible, it is only for like 0.2 seconds and you are probably faced the wrong way.

HentaiWriter

Tentacle God
Reputation score

living with your parents saps your available time to work on stuff for sure, cause your parents don't know/can't know you do NSFW stuff, so anytime they're awake/around = can't work on stuff.

Spastus

Demon Girl
Reputation score

living with your parents saps your available time to work on stuff for sure, cause your parents don't know/can't know you do NSFW stuff, so anytime they're awake/around = can't work on stuff.
Unless you have your PC in the living room it shoulnd't make a big difference.

Yeah...that's what I'm saying. You're fighting multiple enemies and they are invincible for most of the fight and when they do turn tangible, it is only for like 0.2 seconds and you are probably faced the wrong way.
Oh ok, that time will be extended but the main attack frame I think is when they're attacking or backing down to attack, I barely ever try to attack when they're just flying around. Of course that makes the encounters way longer but they only die in two hits, is not that long anyway. But yeah, that was already mentioned in the blog and it's going to be extended.

HentaiWriter

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Unless you have your PC in the living room it shoulnd't make a big difference.
True, I guess I have a skewed perspective on that one because my PC WAS in the living room when I was living with my parents years and years ago haha.

Aliaga

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I have to say, having played the demo, this is looking really good. Already several types of enemies, good animations (hell, I was having fun with just the breast-bouncing physics), and it's actually fun to play. The whole stun/attack thing messed me up several times, but getting 'attacked' wasn't really an issue until those spider things. THEN I realized I could absorb the little white dots to replenish my energy/clothing meter. Really enjoying it so far, and it's probably going to be the first H-game I purchase right off. Cheers, Vosmug!

(I just hope it doesn't have a silly end bit like Xenotake.)

HentaiProdigy

Cthulhu
Reputation score

Or a god damn EXO-3 part. I loved Xenotake, but that part was so disappointing, and so boring... Would've loved more enemy types as well, which this game almost fulfills in the demo already! Looking forward to it like mad :D

Meta1

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Or a god damn EXO-3 part. I loved Xenotake, but that part was so disappointing, and so boring... Would've loved more enemy types as well, which this game almost fulfills in the demo already! Looking forward to it like mad :D
See, I had no problem with the EXO part. It made sense with the story. The problem I had with it was EXO being the final boss battle. Should have been a multi-phase fight. EXO freeing Eerien should've just been the first part, with Eerien taking over as the final battle.

iotaku

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Fun game, does anyone know when the next update will happen? Also is the gallery mode suppose to be lock despite finishing the demo?

Meta1

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Fun game, does anyone know when the next update will happen? Also is the gallery mode suppose to be lock despite finishing the demo?
Vos still has the entire rest of the game to do. The only thing he's mentioned as far as a release goes is he HOPES its by the end of the year.

Also, press T at the main menu will get you to a test room for the enemies already in game.

Aliaga

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

See, I had no problem with the EXO part. It made sense with the story. The problem I had with it was EXO being the final boss battle. Should have been a multi-phase fight. EXO freeing Eerien should've just been the first part, with Eerien taking over as the final battle.
I'll agree with you on that, though the EXO bit could have been shorter. More of a side-scroller version of the "vehicle turret" stage in many FPS games, where you get all sorts of explodey power and whatnot, before returning back to the regular gameplay. Which is to say, sexy sexy alien fighter lady. :p So yeah, I really hope he doesn't go that route with Vena. I'd be fine playing the teacher for a stage, even those ghost-hunter types shown in earlier artwork. But Vena needs the majority of the game time, as well as the boss battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.