What's new

ACT [Kaijo] Nagai Yamiji - NOW ONLY $4.99

OP
Kajio

Kajio

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
Re: [WIP] Nagai Yamiji (Demo available)

Add a list of known issues to the main post so people stop complaining about the same things over and over? I mean they're not going to read it and continue anyways, but then you can yell at them for not reading the entire whopping 2 pages in this thread so far AND the main post. (Dog to zombie, hue)
Yeah sure I can do that, haha. I figured no one would read it so that's why I haven't, but it can't hurt to put it up anyway

glacier

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

I think I've got a nice bit of variety going at the moment. Certainly some tentacle rape, a bit of vore, some vomit, and there's plenty of bestiality :p There's a bit of some large insertion with the current "small jelly" H-animation, and the giant spider will have some cum (or well, egg) inflation.

There are plenty of some more vanilla animations, though (though still technically bestiality for the most part, or at least non-human). A couple oral sex animations, a handful of vaginal (or anal if you prefer to imagine it as such, can't really tell most of the time, given the lower-res).

Hope that sounds good to everyone :3
I'm sure you realize that more extreme H content could put off potential buyers. Part of what makes Kyrieru's games successful is probably that they are relatively tame by hentai standards.

Now, lets see what my impressions of the demo are...

The demo started in Zoomed mode, full-screen. I tested it on a laptop with a tiny screen, and you could only see about a third of the game window in full-screen mode. I recommend changing the default value of Options>Display>Zoomed to "No" in future builds.

Dodge roll doesn't seem very useful if you are supposed to escape back the way you came. You have more control and safety if you hop over the projectiles in the hall manually. Further through the game, dodge roll becomes more necessary (you can use hit recoil from the plant turret's fireball in air to knock yourself onto the big staircase without it, however)

Level design feels empty and dull. Lots of unnecessary padding. Wonky hit detection. Way too few checkpoints. Though there is lots of unnecessary padding, there are multiple instances of platforming challenges that require memorization, precision, and quick reflexes, with no breather sections in between.

Lots of precision platforming segments leading to a conspicuous but empty alcove. Very frustrating realizing that you did something optional for no reward.

I do like the freedom of targeting you have with your own projectile attacks.

Why can't you duck and punch? It's kind of frustrating that you must use diving attacks or projectiles to hit stuff the size of the smaller slimes.

You might want to give the player some cue that the big chandeliers are walkable. Maybe some zombies placed on them early on, who pounce from overhead when the player gets close?

Blue spell seems like a straight upgrade to cyan one. Why would you switch back for anything but cyan doors?

I quit the game after like 5 complicated platforming sections in a row, one of which dropped on a super-long conveyer belt with a laser pulsing over it, plus some floating hands to grab at the main character for an extra "fuck you" if the player just wanted to just hop through it instead of doing the platforming section floating overhead. It ended up dealing like 80 damage, but I brute-forced through that and went through next 3 rooms gradually getting health chipped away. It was getting really tedious, but I didn't want to quit and take a break until I got to a checkpoint. Eventually got taken out by a laser pulsing in the middle of some sliding platforms. It was my 3rd try, and I was at exactly 1 health.

Overall, I'd give this game a D. Level design is dull, and controls really need some work. I don't want to see what's in the next room, especially if I'm wrestling with my character the whole time. Roll is especially awkward.

I recommend you check out Kurovadis, Nightmare Sphere, maybe Megaman X or Z. Look at what genuinely great platforming with dashes and wall-jumps looks like.

Xol

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Looks promising, I like the style. Thanks for sharing this with us, I look forward to seeing more of it!

comradered

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

I suppose this is one of the more shallow requests, but in the full game, can you fully mute the Voice? Even with my Voice setting on the lowest possible level, I can still hear her voice, which is...uhh, how do I say this? Well, you know...

Anyway, if the voice can't be changed for the full game, can you implement some way to mute the whole thing? I understand that getting someone to voice an H-game is a crapshoot at best, so a voice mute option would be, uhh, greatly appreciated.

OP
Kajio

Kajio

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

I'm sure you realize that more extreme H content could put off potential buyers. Part of what makes Kyrieru's games successful is probably that they are relatively tame by hentai standards.

Now, lets see what my impressions of the demo are...

The demo started in Zoomed mode, full-screen. I tested it on a laptop with a tiny screen, and you could only see about a third of the game window in full-screen mode. I recommend changing the default value of Options>Display>Zoomed to "No" in future builds.

Dodge roll doesn't seem very useful if you are supposed to escape back the way you came. You have more control and safety if you hop over the projectiles in the hall manually. Further through the game, dodge roll becomes more necessary (you can use hit recoil from the plant turret's fireball in air to knock yourself onto the big staircase without it, however)

Level design feels empty and dull. Lots of unnecessary padding. Wonky hit detection. Way too few checkpoints. Though there is lots of unnecessary padding, there are multiple instances of platforming challenges that require memorization, precision, and quick reflexes, with no breather sections in between.

Lots of precision platforming segments leading to a conspicuous but empty alcove. Very frustrating realizing that you did something optional for no reward.

I do like the freedom of targeting you have with your own projectile attacks.

Why can't you duck and punch? It's kind of frustrating that you must use diving attacks or projectiles to hit stuff the size of the smaller slimes.

You might want to give the player some cue that the big chandeliers are walkable. Maybe some zombies placed on them early on, who pounce from overhead when the player gets close?

Blue spell seems like a straight upgrade to cyan one. Why would you switch back for anything but cyan doors?

I quit the game after like 5 complicated platforming sections in a row, one of which dropped on a super-long conveyer belt with a laser pulsing over it, plus some floating hands to grab at the main character for an extra "fuck you" if the player just wanted to just hop through it instead of doing the platforming section floating overhead. It ended up dealing like 80 damage, but I brute-forced through that and went through next 3 rooms gradually getting health chipped away. It was getting really tedious, but I didn't want to quit and take a break until I got to a checkpoint. Eventually got taken out by a laser pulsing in the middle of some sliding platforms. It was my 3rd try, and I was at exactly 1 health.

Overall, I'd give this game a D. Level design is dull, and controls really need some work. I don't want to see what's in the next room, especially if I'm wrestling with my character the whole time. Roll is especially awkward.

I recommend you check out Kurovadis, Nightmare Sphere, maybe Megaman X or Z. Look at what genuinely great platforming with dashes and wall-jumps looks like.
Yeah that's possible, but I think I've struck a decent balance with the vanilla/extreme content, at least hopefully :p

Next build I've made a check to see if the screen will fit if zoomed, otherwise it'll default to not zoomed.

I've tweaked dodge roll a bit, it should be more useful for that first bit now.

So what should I do to improve the levels? There's not a whole lot I can do for Nagai Yamiji at this point, other than reposition some things or add/remove them, but tips would be good for future games at least. In the next release I will have made platforming a touch easier, as I've reduced the sliding you do (no sliding at all on "easy"). However, it is supposed to be fairly hard and checkpoints are supposed to be uncommon.

Yeah sorry about that, that's where a bonus rune (+3 to a stat) will be. I haven't actually added those in quite yet.

Didn't want to add that if people didn't find it necessary, but if it's annoying not to have I can put it in, no problem.

That chandeliers are walkable isn't supposed to be obvious. There's never any point that you have to walk on them, and there are a couple places that they are used to access hidden runes and such.

The blue spell does have a slightly slower firing rate (whereas cyan will fire as fast as you hit the button), but the main reason is that especially for boss fights running out of mana is very possible, so you might have to switch to the worse dps cyan spell.

That room is designed so that you can brute force it if you need to, as the platforming above is a rather long sequence. There is a checkpoint right after it, it's the middle path off to the right, you can tell because of the light coming from that room. I'll make the save room lights more obvious I suppose, they are rather subtle at the moment.

Well, not thrilled with a D-rating, haha, but thanks for the honesty! Constructive criticism is always good, after all, and I'm still new to this, so tips are good :p

Kurovadis was actually my inspiration for this game, and I've watch egoraptor's Sequelitis on Megaman X backwards and forwards, haha. I'll check out the other two games you mentioned though.

Looks promising, I like the style. Thanks for sharing this with us, I look forward to seeing more of it!

can you implement some way to mute the whole thing?
Yeah I can do that for ya. I really dig my voice actor, but I can see how some might not like voice :p

FruitSmoothie

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Replying to people like a boss without getting offended and considering peoples criticism. I like this guy, seems classy.

I actually haven't played the game yet, been messing with Mugen but I think I'll try the next version.

glacier

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

Replying to people like a boss without getting offended and considering peoples criticism. I like this guy, seems classy.
Yeah, I really want to like this game.

Given how far along this is in development, I'd suggest 3 things
1. Give people on easy and normal difficulties a double jump. That would make the puzzles much more forgiving without requiring extensive rewrites of code or redesign of levels.
2. Include some kind of map.
3. Clearly indicate where checkpoints are. Maybe include signposts at branching paths so people know they should go grab needed power-ups instead of spending half an hour advancing through a gauntlet of traps only to discover they need purple magic, and then have to walk all the way back.

darklink1011

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

One thing that was annoying to the point of rage inducing, was after I got the blue spell and crossed over the platforms at the top. Which is difficult in itself with sliding off the moving platforms.
Opening the door I find a mage after dealing with him I see a platform to the left that looks like it needs a dash roll jump to get to. would be no problem if it were not for a plant shooting me from way off screen launching me down onto the lower level making me do the moving platform trouble all over again.
Only thing I can suggest is either remove the plant or put it in shooting range because it fires to fast to make it across even with a well timed roll.

Another annoying thing that made me give up on the demo. Is right after I get the wall jump in order to get out of the room I not only have to wall jump from wall to wall but also time a roll wall jump WITH a bloody laser in the middle.
I can understand that to get a optional power up but mandatory to get out of a room? No way in hell.:(

I Would like this game a lot more if it did not have blatantly cheap things like this.

OfficerTJHooker

Cthulhu
Reputation score

Difficulty pacing.

Unless you used this trial level as one of the end-game levels or something, the kind of frustration that would inevitably build up from attempting to gain an upgrade is incredible. Take the wall-jump for example. After getting the walljump, there's a nice little wall you can use to boost yourself out. Nice! Makes you feel like the move is useful.

Then you get a tall ass wall to scale up. Okay, not a problem. Just some timing and repetition. Nope, the laser in the middle gives you a middle finger and destroys the entire feeling of 'badassery' just obtained as you get blasted in the face every time you make it halfway up the wall. Some of the elements of the rooms felt like they were placed just to screw the player over. And especially so soon after getting the ability, when the player probably hasn't even learn the exact timing and movement of the walljump. That was a specific example, but there were a lot of these design elements that just felt unnecessary and crippling, really. The lee-way given for the platforms puzzles were too small. Definitely not something I would expect to encounter within 15-30 minutes of the game.

Despite all that, the general gameplay is not bad, and the sprite animations are crisp, which is a major plus. I know this game has potential. So believe me when I say learn how to pace the difficulty of your platformers. The enemies were like taking candy from a baby by comparison, so you might want to tweak that aspect as well.

Edit: Just realized you can wall-jump to the top using one side by alternating wall-jumps and rolls. Not sure if this was intentional or not, but if it was, you should change the puzzle to emphasis the fact that this is possible, and this is the correct maneuver to complete the platform. Like having the other wall made of spines, or something.

Last edited:

amgwtfover

Lurker
Reputation score

This may just be me being blind, but where does the demo finish? I have just obtained the dodge roll, used it to get back up to the shooting plant area because i saw no other available path further in, what on earth am I supposed to do at this point? Or where does one go after getting dodge roll?

dijitz

Sex Demon
Reputation score

Yeah, I really want to like this game.

Given how far along this is in development, I'd suggest 3 things
1. Give people on easy and normal difficulties a double jump. That would make the puzzles much more forgiving without requiring extensive rewrites of code or redesign of levels.
2. Include some kind of map.
3. Clearly indicate where checkpoints are. Maybe include signposts at branching paths so people know they should go grab needed power-ups instead of spending half an hour advancing through a gauntlet of traps only to discover they need purple magic, and then have to walk all the way back.
I agree with this if you make it all for easy or normal mode only. I enjoyed the difficulty of Nintendo hard, but I enjoy the feeling of finally getting past parts that I get stuck at even if it takes an hour. I spent two hours on that part that everyone kept complaining about in Kyrieru's game Eroico. However, there is one thing that I would say is a bit annoying is that when I was trying to wall jump and roll at the same time I would find that she would get stuck on the wall at times and just fall back down. Anyway keep up the good work definitely looking forward to buying this.

OP
Kajio

Kajio

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Sorry about not replying for a while, I wasn't getting email updates for some reason... Anyway,
I try XD No point getting upset if people don't love everything about my game, I'm still rather novice-sauce so criticism is good.

glacier said:
1. In this latest release platforming has been made easier on the easier difficulties. Hopefully it's enough of a change
2. While not a bad idea it's something I wouldn't know how to implement easily... And I wasn't really careful about making sure that the world actually used logical geometry...
3. There is actually a faint light indicating where they are... I meant to make that brighter and more obvious, keep forgetting to >.< In this latest version there shouldn't be any paths that you can take that lead to dead ends. The one that exists in the previous versions was supposed to have a bonus rune at the end.

darklink1011 said:
I can change that Venus's location, and yeah that laser has been removed now. Plenty of people complained about it, haha.

OfficerTJHooker said:
Yeah kinda getting the vibe that people aren't lovin' the super difficult platforming, haha. This being my first real attempt at a vidya game I didn't really know how to balance things like that, and I guess I introduced a lot of difficulty in place people didn't like XD. Like I said that laser is not gone, since that was fairly bs, haha.

I do want to try a game where the enemies are more the focus of the difficulty and the platforming is easier, see how people react to that as well.

And that's semi-intentional I suppose. I noticed it, but decided to leave it in, since it's not something that's really particularly easy to figure out to begin with and the timing is fairly difficult even after you figure it out.

amgwtfover said:
After you get dodge roll you can reach the stairs in the first room of the building.

dijitz said:
Haha see this is the toughest thing about balancing difficulty. Some people are going to love that it's got some parts that are tough because they love powering through it, while it simply frustrates others.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the criticisms! I hope y'all are looking forward to the launch of the full game because it should be in the coming weeks!

In the mean time, here's the next release:
It includes the improved platforming difficulty, and all the H-animations.

Not a whole lot left to do! Mostly just the CGs that'll take some time to do

kiko

aka the Asian rapper Kikkoman Flowsauce
Reputation score

And I was getting worried that you forgot about ULMF and this thread.Excellent work Kaijo!

FruitSmoothie

Tentacle God
Reputation score

And I was getting worried that you forgot about ULMF and this thread.Excellent work Kaijo!
Yeah that whole less than a week from his last post was scary.

OP
Kajio

Kajio

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Haha sorry, y'all. Like I said I didn't get email notifications for some reason (or I didn't notice them, or read it and forgot to actually reply >.<).

Anyway, I should respond more punctually now :p

A_J_Wuk

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Kajio, I think the wall jumping/rolling wall jump technique needs another look at, I love tough games in terms of physical dexterity and timing. But really this method of getting around is pretty, frustrating. After having spent 30 minutes just trying to scale one wall using a wall jump to roll to wall jump to roll again, I find that not only is the clinging mechanic difficult to hit with, the timing between performing each move is far too tight and too easy to make a mistake.

Either the gap between performing each move needs to be lengthened or she needs to be able to jump higher. Perhaps even both.

Edit... Ugh okay, managed to get past it using a trick I figured out... but... ugh, usually a good way to gauge difficulty of a game you make is to play test it yourself if you yourself find it too difficult or too easy chances are others will as well. That's my best suggestion anyway.

Last edited:
OP
Kajio

Kajio

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Kajio, I think the wall jumping/rolling wall jump technique needs another look at, I love tough games in terms of physical dexterity and timing. But really this method of getting around is pretty, frustrating. After having spent 30 minutes just trying to scale one wall using a wall jump to roll to wall jump to roll again, I find that not only is the clinging mechanic difficult to hit with, the timing between performing each move is far too tight and too easy to make a mistake.

Either the gap between performing each move needs to be lengthened or she needs to be able to jump higher. Perhaps even both.

Edit... Ugh okay, managed to get past it using a trick I figured out... but... ugh, usually a good way to gauge difficulty of a game you make is to play test it yourself if you yourself find it too difficult or too easy chances are others will as well. That's my best suggestion anyway.
Alrighty, I've tweaked it so walljumping should be easier to do in future releases (I'll probably release a small update in a day or two).

I actually have play-tested Nagai Yamiji, a bunch actually. That's kinda why it's hard for me to gauge the difficulty. I've been playing this game for the past few months, so I find the game rather easy whereas others are clearly having difficulties. This is partly because I've gotten fairly good at the game and partly because I already know the correct path to take, whereas new players will be figuring it out as they go (and inevitably making mistakes).

This is good information though, and at least things are too hard. It's not too difficult to make things easier, but to add challenge where none exists is a decent undertaking.

Tyrian

Lurker
Reputation score

I can't get to the save point in/after the massive beam room (The platforming above is something I'm not even willing to attempt), assuming it's on some upper level of the side of that room. I'm having to do the walljump sections every time I make it through and die to the combination of plant platforms, the laser, and the four-way shot before I can even reach yet another walljump sequence. I made it far enough once to see that there's more platforming up there before I can reach what I'm guessing is the save point room, and I just lost interest. Could you add a checkpoint before that room or make the existing one easier to get to? That room's just hell.

I liked the game up until I got the walljump. Seriously, just give us some (solid) platforms occasionally. Just because we can walljump doesn't mean it should be the only way to get around from then on.

Edit: By editing my save to get to the save point, I've gotten to the boss and gotten the items I need to summon it. It crashes if I have both stone pieces.

Error in action number 1
of Collision Event with object obj_player
for object obj_tut:

Error in code at line 1:
obj_c.message=message;
(Carat underneath the =)
at position 15: Unkown variable message

Last edited:
OP
Kajio

Kajio

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

I can't get to the save point in/after the massive beam room (The platforming above is something I'm not even willing to attempt), assuming it's on some upper level of the side of that room. I'm having to do the walljump sections every time I make it through and die to the combination of plant platforms, the laser, and the four-way shot before I can even reach yet another walljump sequence. I made it far enough once to see that there's more platforming up there before I can reach what I'm guessing is the save point room, and I just lost interest. Could you add a checkpoint before that room or make the existing one easier to get to? That room's just hell.

I liked the game up until I got the walljump. Seriously, just give us some (solid) platforms occasionally. Just because we can walljump doesn't mean it should be the only way to get around from then on.
Alrighty, I can tone down the difficulty of that room :p

I'll add a breather to the platforming and maybe cut out that 4-way rune.